GRID AS suggestions (with like function!)

• Thread starter mister dog
  • 218 comments
Change Logan Parker's description.

I would recommend the following:

"His fans say he is exciting; his rivals describe him as an idiot. Has a reputation for intentionally wrecking other drivers in lieu of passing them, but has so far managed to escape a driving ban."

Seriously, I hate this guy. I have never seen him pull off a legitimate pass, and every time he turns me around, my immediate reaction is to want to drive the wrong way around the circuit and end his race in a head-on collision. I can take the aggression from other drivers, because they at least make the attempt at passing you, and sometimes they're a little rough. But not Parker. I've lost count of the number of times he's driven into the side of me and turned me around.

Drifting goes against my every racing instinct - namely, that sideways motion is to be avoided, as it is unnecessarily slow. Even (though I would be more inclined to say "especially") in disciplines like rallying, where that sideways motion is used to carry more speed through corners. I remember once when I was at uni, where a group of drift fans entered in a local rally; they couldn't understand why they were so slow.

If you want an example of why drifting isn't a sport, go down to my local car club (which my dad and his brothers literally built). They're one of the biggest in the country, and they run just about every event imaginable. But they don't do drift events. They're fully certified by the national motorsports body (our FIA WMSC representative is good friends with my uncle), which is in turn certified by the FIA. And of all the motorsport disciplines out there, there is no accreditation for drifting. The car club doesn't run drift events because they can't (though I doubt they would if they could; there's no room to expand into, so building a drift circuit would mean destroying stuff that has existed for fifty years).

That's like calling Pastor Maldonado a special racing driver.

Different tastes, different opinions. I still count it as sport. There's speed skating and there's figure skating. They have different goals, still both are sports. Just like there's standard racing and drifting.

Anyway, a suggestion:

Less difference of pace throughout the field.

Sometimes the difference between the pole sitter and the rear of the pack is as much as 11 seconds which I find exaggerated. That means there's really only Rawenwest, Intel Motorsport and Team Kicker to fight with, all the other drivers and teams are hopelessly slow.

In custom cup make sure the event settings are saved when altering other cup options.

If you select a track first and then alter another option like class of cars, or change from race to TT the track settings you just selected are deleted, and you have to select the track again to proceed. Quite irritating this one and i don't know if this is meant to be, or a bug.

Sometimes the difference between the pole sitter and the rear of the pack is as much as 11 seconds which I find exaggerated. That means there's really only Rawenwest, Intel Motorsport and Team Kicker to fight with, all the other drivers and teams are hopelessly slow.
The difference varies between disciplines, and within tiers. In general, there is Ravenwest and one other competitive team, and sometimes two; I've noticed in Cat-B Touring, for example, that Ravenwest, K&N and Kicker are all competitive.

In terms of the spread of the grid, Touring is the closest, with one or two stragglers at the back. Open-Wheel is the most exaggerated, to the point where you lap the backmarkers twice on 5x race length, but that's true to life. Endurance is somewhere in between, while Street has the most variation in individual performance (it's the one discipline where teams can challenge Ravenwest). As for Tuner, I can't stand it, so I put it on very easy and spent a day grinding through the events. The races are a lot like driving down the M2 an hour before school finishes.

In custom cup make sure the event settings are saved when altering other cup options.

If you select a track first and then alter another option like class of cars, or change from race to TT the track settings you just selected are deleted, and you have to select the track again to proceed. Quite irritating this one and i don't know if this is meant to be, or a bug.

It's like that. So good practice to select the track last!

The difference varies between disciplines, and within tiers. In general, there is Ravenwest and one other competitive team, and sometimes two; I've noticed in Cat-B Touring, for example, that Ravenwest, K&N and Kicker are all competitive.

In terms of the spread of the grid, Touring is the closest, with one or two stragglers at the back. Open-Wheel is the most exaggerated, to the point where you lap the backmarkers twice on 5x race length, but that's true to life. Endurance is somewhere in between, while Street has the most variation in individual performance (it's the one discipline where teams can challenge Ravenwest). As for Tuner, I can't stand it, so I put it on very easy and spent a day grinding through the events. The races are a lot like driving down the M2 an hour before school finishes.

I agree.

There's a big problem with the AI in endurance events. I did a test: I tried three categories on the same track, Hockenheimring Short. First I did racing in the Open Wheel category. It was tough, the AI was fast and consistent. Afterwards I did a race in the Touring category. This was one of the hardest races I've ever done. I struggled to finish 4th. And then I did a race in the Endurance category. And guess what, I blitzed the field by lapping a second faster than even the Ravenwest guys... Please, please, fix the AI pace in Endurance events. :(

Please, please, fix the AI pace in Endurance events. :(
I struggled to keep up yesterday and was glad to reach 6th place in a career endurance event. I don't know where you exactly tested it (custom races?), but in career they seem as tough as in the other disciplines. Which difficulty did you play on?

I struggled to keep up yesterday and was glad to reach 6th place in a career endurance event. I don't know where you exactly tested it (custom races?), but in career they seem as tough as in the other disciplines. Which difficulty did you play on?

I raced all three categories in career mode on the hardest difficulty. And no, I'm not an alien driver. ;) It depends on track as well but on the long run it's noticeable that in Endurance the AI is slower than in other disciplines.

Maybe it depends on the track, because my next race at Brands Hatch I was like 3 seconds a lap slower. Lost 3 seconds on the second half of the lap alone.

Maybe it depends on the track, because my next race at Brands Hatch I was like 3 seconds a lap slower. Lost 3 seconds on the second half of the lap alone.

Brands Hatch is an exception, it seems. I struggled there too. But on other tracks, they're slow. Worst being Yas Marina. The IA is slow at Yas Marina on all disciplines, btw.

A wall for race clubs to post to that can be used and viewed in game and on racenet website

Would be nice for letting fellow club members know basic info like what you want to race and when. Basically to allow the club to plan without having to find each other in game and using voice chat.

ADD 'CHAT' IN ONLINE PLAYLISTS!

WHY AM I SHOUTING?! Because I don't know how to do bold writing! But, yeah, exact same chat that's in GT would be cool, as I'm testing out online and find it annoying when I can't talk about my tyres completely degraded at the end of the race or something like that.

Yeah, I struggle with Brands in Endurance, too. The back half of the circuit chews through my tyres.

ADD 'CHAT' IN ONLINE PLAYLISTS!

WHY AM I SHOUTING?! Because I don't know how to do bold writing! But, yeah, exact same chat that's in GT would be cool, as I'm testing out online and find it annoying when I can't talk about my tyres completely degraded at the end of the race or something like that.

Use the B button above the reply text entry box, it is between Tx and I .

I agree though, text chat is nice thing to have between races.

A quite simple thing:

When we watch the replays we need to press L1 (on ps3) to hide controls on screen, and we must do it everytime the replay restarts. The controls could only appear on screen when we press any button and disappear after a few seconds.
Also, it would be cool if they put, at least, two different replay angles for each track, so the angles would not repeat every lap.

Use the B button above the reply text entry box, it is between Tx and I .

I agree though, text chat is nice thing to have between races.

Thanks for telling me how to do it, but it doesn't appear anywhere. Probably because I'm using my iPad... Anyways!

A quite simple thing:

When we watch the replays we need to press L1 (on ps3) to hide controls on screen, and we must do it everytime the replay restarts. The controls could only appear on screen when we press any button and disappear after a few seconds.
Also, it would be cool if they put, at least, two different replay angles for each track, so the angles would not repeat every lap.

Nice suggestion; GT has an option where the angles can be either set to track-focused or car-focused. Plus, the angles are fresh on almost every lap!

Ability to customise the livery of your car in offline Custom Cups would be nice. If it's there and I've missed it, then obviously this is moot.

Haven't read the whole thread but this would be nice:
Add a means of finding out what track you are racing on in the career paddock menu.

Just a little thing but it comes in handy more often than you'd think. Being able to review the entire schedule would be ideal.

The lack of any ability [on PS3] to text chat in online rooms(also lacking in rather a lot of other titles lately, to be fair) is simply unacceptable. Apologies if it is there somewhere but so well hidden that I couldn't find it in either pre-championship setup or in the pre-race paddock menu.

A higher limit to laps/time in custom cups [I assume online has the same restrictions] would be nice, especially since 20 laps of one track is not the same as 20 laps of another.

The lack of any ability [on PS3] to text chat in online rooms(also lacking in rather a lot of other titles lately, to be fair) is simply unacceptable. Apologies if it is there somewhere but so well hidden that I couldn't find it in either pre-championship setup or in the pre-race paddock menu.

A higher limit to laps/time in custom cups [I assume online has the same restrictions] would be nice, especially since 20 laps of one track is not the same as 20 laps of another.

I suggested that a few posts up, the more likes the more likely!

PC only I'm afraid.

There are helecopters in the sky.. blowing leaves... vehicle damage.. but we don't get mirrors?

attention-economy-zoidberg-why.png

When I saw that mirrors might be coming I was starting to think about getting DLC or a season pass.. now not really sure. I would rather have function over content any day...

There are helecopters in the sky.. blowing leaves... vehicle damage.. but we don't get mirrors?

attention-economy-zoidberg-why.png

When I saw that mirrors might be coming I was starting to think about getting DLC or a season pass.. now not really sure. I would rather have function over content any day...
Agreed. The PS3 is capable of rendering mirrors, without them the cockpit view is useless to me as I can't see what is coming up behind me.

It is possible Codies. Fix it! :P

Back