GRID Autosport First Impressions

• Thread starter Awong124
  • 557 comments
I only ever seem to get full lockup followed by a spin out with ABS off. Either way, I wasn't criticising GT5/6 ABS, just stating that the implementation in Grid Autosport it different.

I'll need to try adjusting my ABS settings in GT6 in that case. :D
I hope you mean in GAS and not in GT6.
Just got the game for PC and trying it out with 360 controller but with ABS OFF, just thinking of braking automatically locks up the brakes.
Any way around this? Brake sensitivity setting anywhere?
Will try t500 later on.

But what do we cut? Cockpit cam?.... Heaven forbid!
The way it was implemented, you might as well.

Last edited:
IMO, a cockpit view isn't a game breaker by any means. It's still a racing game, and if a racing game has a proper hood or bumper cam, you're all set.

Most games don't do wheel animation right, and cockpit view is something you'd especially want to use with a gaming wheel, correct? So forget the cockpit, or just use the view that only has the dash in it.

Personally, I love the bumper cam; nothing but the open track in front of me.. hovering just a few inches or cms off the tarmac.. with a few tail pipes coming in and out of my view! Racing haven! Been a "bumper viewer" since the original NFS.

If you gotta have a cockpit view, then you gotta have proper wheel animation. To my knowledge, no dev has done that right on a console, to date.

- Codies are pulling a Grid 1 again with showing cars in trailers that are ready to be included in the final game, but instead will be realesed as DLC in the future (not cool).
IMO, a cockpit view isn't a game breaker by any means. It's still a racing game, and if a racing game has a proper hood or bumper cam, you're all set.

Most games don't do wheel animation right, and cockpit view is something you'd especially want to use with a gaming wheel, correct? So forget the cockpit, or just use the view that only has the dash in it.

Personally, I love the bumper cam; nothing but the open track in front of me.. hovering just a few inches or cms off the tarmac.. with a few tail pipes coming in and out of my view! Racing haven! Been a "bumper viewer" since the original NFS.

If you gotta have a cockpit view, then you gotta have proper wheel animation. To my knowledge, no dev has done that right on a console, to date.

If you have a wheel connected in Autosport, you can turn off the virtual wheel so you don't see 2 of them.... or an animations

I have been having a blast with Grid Autosport, much better than Grid 2. However, I have been noticing a glitch that rears its head every so often. Not game breaking but still a slight annoyance.

From time to time in circumstances I can't quite figure out, certain sound effects will not load and not be audible. From my testing, what doesn't load is the following: (PlayStation 3 version by the way)

-Car Collision sound effects
-Pit engineer reports (D-Pad reports and Team-mate instructions)
-Flashback Sound Effects

Has anyone else been having this issue?

Setting up wheel, like we all know in F1, should work, but still feeling is dull...turning looks like front wheels are somewhere in the middle of car.

Ariel Atom 500 V8 at Brands Hatch, short one lap race + some replay after.

Lancia Delta HF integrale Evo 2 at Autodromo Do Algarve.

Anyone got problems trying to redeem black edition codes in PAL?
Hi Furi, long time no see :) I haven't been able to get my Black stuff

I put the code in earlier and it hovered between 0-1% then quit

Tried again just now and it said 'code has already been redeemed'

Hopefully the issue will be fixed and the Black stuff will hit

Otherwise it's on the phone to Codies on Monday for another

Got the game first thing this morning, didn't have much time so done two racenet challenges, which felt good after tweaking the wheel settings, a little bit floaty but nothing excessive. Then a quick online race, was in the super modified WRX the car had shocking understeer, maybe this can be corrected when tuning is available on own vehicle. Has anyone done any testing on tuning yet?

Got the game first thing this morning, didn't have much time so done two racenet challenges, which felt good after tweaking the wheel settings, a little bit floaty but nothing excessive. Then a quick online race, was in the super modified WRX the car had shocking understeer, maybe this can be corrected when tuning is available on own vehicle. Has anyone done any testing on tuning yet?

Man you are really fast with thé RN challenges 👍

Won't be long until I have my own first impressions...

I'm just downloading the PS3 update then will start up the game, get all my settings sorted (will be taking away the steering wheel and hand animations away from cockpit view, thank you Codies!)

Will get my wheel and game settings sorted and then going to be diving into the touring car career...will be having a go at those RaceNet challenges too!

Yep...I'm excited!

To those who have bought this on PS3 and use a G25/G27, how is the driving with the wheel? And is it worth the full price now, or waiting for it to drop in price?

If you have a wheel connected in Autosport, you can turn off the virtual wheel so you don't see 2 of them.... or an animations

I can't find this option...please tell me this isn't a PC only option...please!

Edit: panic over, I found it...advance wheel settings, the option looked like the menu title!

Guess i'll be doing an all nighter on GAS :D
Even though i'm relegated to using a DS3 it works fine with it, and i'm enjoying myself tremendously here ATM.

Great racing game so far 👍

To those who have bought this on PS3 and use a G25/G27, how is the driving with the wheel? And is it worth the full price now, or waiting for it to drop in price?
G27 here. The physics are simplified and not full on sim, but you can feel what the car is doing through the wheel quite effectively. The curbs are crazy!! The biggest asset of this game is undoubtedly the racing. On very hard, it should provide a challenge to all but the most alien of pilots. One mistake and usually victory is impossible in the first race. In the reverse grid race sometimes you can get a small lead and make a mistake here or there and still win. So far the tracks are stellar. I've been waiting for some one to include the Autodromo do Algarve and I love it. Mt. Tremblant is a throwback to the 70's and just great to drive. The Autosport track is great too. Haven't driven any city or endurance tracks yet.

I have been having a blast with Grid Autosport, much better than Grid 2. However, I have been noticing a glitch that rears its head every so often. Not game breaking but still a slight annoyance.

From time to time in circumstances I can't quite figure out, certain sound effects will not load and not be audible. From my testing, what doesn't load is the following: (PlayStation 3 version by the way)

-Car Collision sound effects
-Pit engineer reports (D-Pad reports and Team-mate instructions)
-Flashback Sound Effects

Has anyone else been having this issue?
Yeah, I've noticed a lack of engineer chatter. Some cars sound very quiet and muffled too. Great game though. Can't remember coming across better AI in a racing game.

Got in a few hours tonight and I must say, the AI is fantastic.
Let's be fair. If we're going to bash GT6 for AI that doesn't seem to know your position on track, then GAS needs to get dinged for that 2x as much.
Street Class might as well be called bumper cars.

edit:
going back to immediate lockups, seems to be limited to the Golf R for now.

Last edited:
Let's be fair. If we're going to bash GT6 for AI that doesn't seem to know your position on track, then GAS needs to get dinged for that 2x as much.
Haven't hit the street class but yeah that would be an issue. GT6 of course has the double whammy that not only are they way off pace, they also run into you:lol:

I've already spun in the apex of a fast blind corner, had to do a U turn and two bots that came around the corner avoided me perfectly. They are definitely aware of your position, you notice that enough when you have them chasing you closely and you look behind. They are just tough bastards that's all.

I miss how you use to be able to control the camera/speed when you do a flashback, its just rewinds and then plays itself. After a big crash I would always watch it from other angles before I hit flashback, or if I had flashback off I could go to instant replay from the pause menu, which is also gone. I rarely get any sound from collisions, which sometimes makes it hard to tell if I'm hitting them or just really close. The sound goes really weird for me also under braking, its like everything goes silent and I cant tell if I've locked up until I go sailing past the apex.

My only other complaint is that when I'm concentrating really hard I lick my lips a lot, and the races I've done are so intense that I'm lucky to have any left.

At least they're fast in GRID.

Does anybody have any recommended advanced wheel settings? I'm finding the default way to snappy.

I'm only on a Logitech Driving Force EX.

EDIT: Went with

5%
100%

Last edited:
Thanks hope I get chance to get back on it tomorrow, need to get my time down on mount.

Yup.. just pipped ya to 1st :) Think I've still got a second in there somewhere.... some dude did a 2:01 something... :embarrassed:

Dunno how though.... it's a tough one. You running Manual gears too?

I miss how you use to be able to control the camera/speed when you do a flashback, its just rewinds and then plays itself. After a big crash I would always watch it from other angles before I hit flashback, or if I had flashback off I could go to instant replay from the pause menu, which is also gone.

You can still do replay from the pause menu after a crash and slow speed down etc.

First impressions after roughly 5 hours of playing:

-The menu music is the best and most atmospheric i ever heard in a racing game :bowdown:
-The AI is very very good, fights you but is aware of you also IMO, best i ever experienced on console apart from Race Pro on the 360 by simbin
- DS3 works good, has a nice feel.
-Physics are very enjoyable, the level of simness is just enough for a good feel all around and in this game you can really throw the cars in corners and use the weight shifting 👍
-You notice on how the events are structured that this game was well thought trough; 10 mins of practice to get to know the circuits, 3 laps quali to do your best and a great race waiting for you afterwards with that AI. The way of career progression were you choose what to do next is perfect.
-Damage model is great.
-Heads up to @anim8r_uk the tracks are very beautiful for PS3 and feel alive thanks to the things happening around the track. I already had the heli flying over me at brands and saw many flocks of birds flying over 👍
-Framerate is consistent, no major hiccups so far.

Funny that only at the very end of PS3's lifecycle we get such a great racing game thrown into our laps and nobody was really paying attention to it until a couple of months ago; so far i give it a 9,5/10.

Latest Posts

Back