Grid Autosport (General Discussion)

Vote for the name of Team Gtplanet

• Total voters
I'm surprised it's coming out for PS3 and 360(I suppose it'll be one final, final last hurrah for the current gen) since the next gen consoles are going from strength to strength. I suppose Codies are saving the next gen hardware for F1:2014.

Might look into this one to see if Codies can actually redeem themselves.

I think the problem Codemasters have had in the past is that they get carried away with including new content, but only do about 75% of the job. For example, in DIRT 3, they put a huge emphasis on gymkhana. And while it wasn't the most popular move, it was fairly well implemented - but seriously limited by the environments, which did not allow for much variety.

GRID AUTOSPORT should probably stop trying to go so broad. The focus should be on touring car racing, GT racing, and maybe some Le Mans and DaytonaPrototypes. There is plenty of potential there, both for a wide variety of competitions (and therefore cars) - like the BTCC, SuperGT and DTM - and some historical content. Drifting, Formula 3, and what appears to be production cars in race trim might be nice, but it makes me think that Codemasters are again making the mistake of going broad in their variety, but shallow in their content.

I'm also glad the Career isn't as linear than what was found in Grid 2. Also it looks like the days of powersliding around every corner is over for Grid. But yeah, a mix of the TOCA games of yester-year and the original Grid, count me in on this one. I fully trust Codies to hit the ball out of the park on this one.

I think the problem Codemasters have had in the past is that they get carried away with including new content, but only do about 75% of the job. For example, in DIRT 3, they put a huge emphasis on gymkhana. And while it wasn't the most popular move, it was fairly well implemented - but seriously limited by the environments, which did not allow for much variety.

GRID AUTOSPORT should probably stop trying to go so broad. The focus should be on touring car racing, GT racing, and maybe some Le Mans and DaytonaPrototypes. There is plenty of potential there, both for a wide variety of competitions (and therefore cars) - like the BTCC, SuperGT and DTM - and some historical content. Drifting, Formula 3, and what appears to be production cars in race trim might be nice, but it makes me think that Codemasters are again making the mistake of going broad in their variety, but shallow in their content.

They will focus on 5 disciplines. Proto, GT, Touring, Openwheel and Drift. I saw in a tweet that there will be a lot of Touringcars. Next week we will hear more on that.

Am I the only one here who didn't have such fond memories of the original Grid? I had to handbrake into every corner in certain cars just to get the damn thing to turn, and I was (on average) 5% slower in corners than my AI opponents.

The first thing they need to do is make longer races. It's inexcusable when you race for two minutes and then spend three navigating menus to get to the next. If GT4's World Championship can have races that are eighteen laps of Opera Paris, then I don't understand why a game made nearly a decade later limits players to two laps of the Red Bull Ring.

It's doubly embarrassing when you consider that this wasn't a problem for Codemasters in the days of the original COLIN McRAE RALLY.

On paper it sounds good, i will wait for some reviews before buying it though, a bit dissapointed it will be released on Last gen consoles as I am waiting for a good racing game to get a PS4.

If the game is polished, handling is decent (more sim focused than arcade) and the community features makes for an easy way to build up racing teams and race against then we could have a deal ;)

DK
Am I the only one here who didn't have such fond memories of the original Grid? I had to handbrake into every corner in certain cars just to get the damn thing to turn, and I was (on average) 5% slower in corners than my AI opponents.

It was a really fun game when it came out, the damage model and AI were very impressive. Remains to be seen how impressive they are now.

DK
The LMPs were bastards for sure. Fingers crossed they fixed them.

Also wonder which ones they'll have...?

This is all the best information that I gathered from articles so far (expect more later today) about the game.

"To that end there is now more authentic motorsport racing, with open-wheel cars ranging from F3 to IndyCar, tin-top action plus GT and endurance action as well as returning drift and supercar content. Like in the original Grid, the campaign is structured around the running of a team, with the player able to acquire sponsors and teammates as they work across five separate disciplines included in Grid Autosport.

While the name - which is shared with a long-running motorsport magazine - doesn't mark an official partnership, the editorial staff at Autosport have lent their expertise to the game, alongside racing drivers such as BTCC contenders Matt Neal and Andrew Jordan."

"We're working really hard on our next-gen Ego engine right now - and when we roll it out, we want it to be the best racing engine out there," the producer said. "That takes time, and it's not as if we haven't been working on it for some time. It wasn't really where wanted it to be, I don't think, to produce what I would class as a truly competitive next-gen game coming out in the window we're coming out.

"The second factor is when we were talking to our community, it was one of the first questions we asked them. What about next-gen? When are you planning to upgrade? And no-one in the room had any urgency to move on to those new consoles."

In the single-player campaign, players become a professional racing driver but they'll be able to choose in which disciplines they want to participate, so they aren't forced to do anything they don't want to. They can also jump directly into a race or do a practice session, a qualifying round to get a better start position, and then actually race.

Autosport also brings back the possibility of racing with a teammate, who can be ordered with the press of a button to defend his position or start attacking cars ahead."

Cars can be tuned before a race, so players can tweak aspects like brake bias, differential, downforce, gears, ride height, and suspension for both the front and the back.

OK... I think I'm sold. Looks like GRID Autosport is going to be a winner. I was actually pleasantly surprised after seeing the beautiful shots one of you posted ("ask and ye shall receive") and finding out it's on PS3/X360 .... ! :drool:

I guess that would've helped, although I wasn't sure I'd have the patience to have done so at the time.

Also:

You have no idea how many other titles would have benefitted hugely if that same logic was applied.

Meh, I guess so. Shift was just the final straw for me when it came to anything made by EA (after the massive glitch fest that was NASCAR 09) and doubly frustraiting because just when I think "Finally, a NFS title worth having", it isn't. Guess it was just a combination of EA screwing me over again and me not having any of my expectations met with it (The same thing that happened for me with Grid 2). So whenever I read someone reffering PCARS as "Shift
3", I don't think anything good, that's how sour its made me.

* If you're willing to find some of that patience, perhaps... just maybe it'll pay off. Seeing how much EA's ticked you off, I doubt it. :indiff:

* I don't remember going for a second playthrough on any of the Battlefield games. MOH 1 and 2 were an exception though as the shooting mechanics were brilliant. I think the last good EA game was SBK 2001. Or Fight Night Champion maybe. Never liked any of the NFS titles honestly, expect for the very first original "The Need for Speed" and Porsche Unleashed. Shift 2 brought back some memories. But I tell ya, the original NFS and Porsche Unleashed were in a league of their own at the time.

* I think PCARS is going to fill in the void very nicely. Though if you can just have the patience and bear with a few things S2 doesn't do right, you may be able to extract some fun out of it.

Happy motoring then! :cheers:

Sorry for the multiple posts mods. This really had me all anxious and worked up:

"with GRID Autosport we had the opportunity to make a much more focussed motorsport game, a desire that many of you have expressed directly to us, and a game that in spirit goes back to some of our earlier titles in terms of content and handling." 👍

:D

:cheers:

Edit: whatthh!? It's coming in late June... that's almost around the corner!! Nothing like getting lost in a GOOD racing game late on a summer weekend night... AC chillin' and all...!!

Last edited:
Oooo I love this GRID, and it seems like it's going back to its roots as well like TOCA. :D I can feel it after watching the trailer and checking out the screenshots. Honestly, I think Codemasters may gain back my respect for them again. This is really good, very good. :)

Also I read that the physics won't be like GRID 1/2? That's great to hear! 👍

The quick turn-around bothers me. They're obviously bringing assets across from other titles - probably GRID 2 and F1 2013. That's fair enough; why reinvent the wheel? But I have to wonder how much else has also been transplanted. The physics engine and AI could do with some tweaks.

The physics engine and AI could do with some tweaks.

Seems to me thats the big intention with this project, a la GT6; not so much in the way of new outright content, but a more rounded out experience compared to the last game.

Personally, I can't wait to play it. I really liked the gritty motorsport vibe the first Grid had.

I actually liked the arcadey style that Grid 2 had as well though, and given the physics, I can see why cockpit view was taken out, so it wasn't such a huge loss for me. However, the thing I hated was that whole 'get as many followers and YouTube views as you can hurr durr' schtick. My guess is that they tried to get the idea of viral marketing into the game for it to appeal to younger players, which they would understand. Sadly, it bombed to say the least. Codies seem to have a bad habit of that in some of their more recent stuff. DiRT 2 and Showdown were by far the worst with their stupid 'XTREEEEME SPORTS STAR BRO' attitude. You could argue DiRT 3 was bad as well with Gymkhana, but I liked that so I didn't see it as a bad thing.

Should be pretty good; best part about it being on a last gen (or so the rumours say) is that it will be discounted really quickly. :P

+1 for Codies

- Listening to their fanbase
- Working together with their fanbase
- Admitting they made an error
- Wanting to make a product that delivers a racing experience
- Hiring the expertise of BTCC-drivers
- Touringcars, GT, Openwheel, Prototype

I just think a very good and smart move from them!

edit...maybe this can be moved to the grid-section?

DK

Fond memories of the game with a controller, nightmares with a wheel.

Codies seem to have a bad habit of that in some of their more recent stuff. DiRT 2 and Showdown were by far the worst with their stupid 'XTREEEEME SPORTS STAR BRO' attitude. You could argue DiRT 3 was bad as well with Gymkhana, but I liked that so I didn't see it as a bad thing.
SHOWDOWN appeared to be an attempt to separate the gymkhana and arcade-style game modes out from the hardcore rallying, rallycross and Trailblazer modes, possibly to see how well they would fare as a stand-alone game. It's again a case of Codemasters listening to their fans; if it happens, DIRT 4 is largely expected to regain its focus on rallying. Of all the games in the series, DIRT 3 probably had the worst stages - the original games had up to 80 original routes, while DIRT 3 had just 30(-ish), most of them using the same pieces of road.

SHOWDOWN largely failed, both critically and commercially, but the attempt to separate the game modes out seems to have inspired AUTOSPORT.

I'm in two minds. It's good there's modern touring cars and rumours of many more also, but seeing the drift nonsense back and barely modified luxury performance cars racing on street circuits is sending mixed messages.

For once can't it be purely track-based class racing like the good old days?

Looks not bad...Considering it was PC footage you would expect it to look alot better....

3 worries...

Looks to be using the Ego engine (Why Codies why?)

Still using the Grid name (Going to be a game for casuals first serious racers last no matter the PR we got today)

Drifting Drifting Drifting 👎

However choice of song for the trailer was great, Nothing over the top...perfect for a racing game...almost PD like.

Edit: This is not coming out for PS4/XO??? Wtf...thats me out then. No wonder it didnt look good graphically and why they are still using Ego...Time to move on Codies...

Last edited:
Considering that Grid was around long before Project CARS... ;)

No doubt that they're similar though, especially with this 'choose your own path' career. Seems like an extension of the regional career in the original Grid.

My first thought reading about this today was that they certainly seem to have been keeping an eye on pCARS development. Obviously it's not a rip off since pCARS itself takes a lot of inspiration from the old Race Driver/TOCA games but it's good to see Codemasters realise that direction is a better idea than the cack in GRID 2.

SHOWDOWN appeared to be an attempt to separate the gymkhana and arcade-style game modes out from the hardcore rallying, rallycross and Trailblazer modes, possibly to see how well they would fare as a stand-alone game. It's again a case of Codemasters listening to their fans; if it happens, DIRT 4 is largely expected to regain its focus on rallying. Of all the games in the series, DIRT 3 probably had the worst stages - the original games had up to 80 original routes, while DIRT 3 had just 30(-ish), most of them using the same pieces of road.

SHOWDOWN largely failed, both critically and commercially, but the attempt to separate the game modes out seems to have inspired AUTOSPORT.

Fair point. To me at least Showdown felt like it was supposed to a Grid spinoff (being centred around demo derby and what have you), but Codies realised they could capitalise on having Ken Block onboard by slapping Gymkhana in there. Having the Tokyo Dockyard from the first Grid kind of helped flag this idea up to me as well. It was by no means a bad game, but having the DiRT name was somewhat questionable, since the only off-road portion was the circuit courses themselves.

Latest Posts

Back