GT 6 pre-orders very low

• Thread starter bigspleen
  • 539 comments
The point is that Grid and Shift are not comparable to GT. They're much more comparable to Hot Pursuit and Most Wanted than they are to GT. If you want a realistic driving experience, you do not choose Grid or Shift.

If you want a realistic driving experience on PS3, GT is it. Don't get me wrong, GT has done a lot of things very well in the past to get to where it is. But on PS2 there was at least competitors like Sega GT and Enthusia. On PS3, there is nothing. GT is a monopoly, with a few semi-simulator games like Ferrari Challenge being very careful not to step into GT's space.

Why that should be I'm not entirely sure. For a game with sales like GT I'd have though there would be companies falling over themselves to clone it, like there are with GTA. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GTA_Clone

GT stands more or less alone, and it's certainly alone on PS3. How much of it's sales are down to that is debatable, but if you want a realistic driving game with a range of cars on PS3 you buy GT or you buy nothing. There is no competition.

Maybe because it isn't easy to do what PD has accomplished with the hardware? You may see clones of GT6 for the PS4 now. Easier to write for and powerful (RAM) enough to make the job much easier...

Given what PD could give us on the PS3, it'll be interesting to see what they can do with the PS4, with fewer "hoops" to jump through to get the hardware to do what you want.

Competing head to head with PCars and DriveClub will the real test for GT, I just hope those two get it right and put a real scare into PD. With the track list they have and are planning to have, and a more expansive car list, I think PCars is the game to watch. It'll be my reason to get into PS4. I hope they add more every day drivers and ordinary street cars and don't just focus on hyper and super cars, along with race cars, as the ordinary car appeals to a much broader base and gets the Moms and Uncles and Aunts and Gramma involved.

By the way, did anyone ever post a link to accurate GT preorder information?

Competing head to head with PCars and DriveClub will the real test for GT, I just hope those two get it right and put a real scare into PD.
I still don't think so. The only game Polyphony will pay any real attention to is Forza 5 to see what the comparable next gen standards will be to beat. And then they will surpass them, work around them, whatever, and generally do their own thing. And most likely GT7 will be seen as the landmark next gen racer.

I don't think Kaz or Polyphony will ever be scared. Kaz is always nervous, always has a bout of depression whenever he releases a Gran Turismo. Then regardless of what critics say, the fans overall love it, he feels better, and almost immediately he begins working on ideas for the next game. And even that "awful" Gran Turismo, GT5, is still wildly popular with gamers, so assuming that everyone is even mildly put off by some of GT5's shortcomings to the point GT6 is threatened in any way is rather presumptuous. Just my thinking, but it really seems the Earth leans more my way than yours on GT.

Has any list of events been released yet? I know B-Spec has been binned, but can't find how much more content A-Spec has got.

Who cares, and OP when you come with these argumenst be so nice and bring out the links of your research aswell, that would be nice :)

I pre-ordered my GT6 and will enjoy it, hopefully more then GT5:)

Nope. That's all we know about career mode. Nothing else.

To me, GT has become more ofa hobby to PD than a game. GT 5 was lacking on being a game... It was a great technical achievement but the game flow was flat and the follow up seasonal even flatter.

All they need to do is make the "game" good, the rest of the tools and content are there. And not fall further into the hole that is online and assume that it is the only future. Online racing for most is demoralizing and a slug Fest with no really good means to regulate the players.

Sadly GT 5 single player was so lacking pd don't even have good metrics to support my argument.

GT 6 needs a solid game structure, and not go the way of the psp version, people aren't likely looking for a sandbox racer, they are looking for accomplishment and progression. Both online and off...

At least iracing has that career aspect too it... But to be fair, all racing games need to focus more on why people play racing games and not assume people all wish they were racers... But making them feel like they could be is part of that formula.

it had its flaws but it was still excellent.
From an objective viewpoint, it wasn't excellent. It didn't suck. But expectations were high, and it didn't meet those expectations.

GT5 lacked any real game. It had cars and it had tracks and good physics but it had pitifully few events and no career mode. It had grinding for xp and credits. GT5 Prologue was so good I couldn't believe that the full game was lacking key elements.

I preordered GT5 Collectors Edition and counted the days until it was released. For GT6 I need to see what I'm getting first.

I still don't think so. The only game Polyphony will pay any real attention to is Forza 5 to see what the comparable next gen standards will be to beat. And then they will surpass them, work around them, whatever, and generally do their own thing. And most likely GT7 will be seen as the landmark next gen racer.

I don't think Kaz or Polyphony will ever be scared. Kaz is always nervous, always has a bout of depression whenever he releases a Gran Turismo. Then regardless of what critics say, the fans overall love it, he feels better, and almost immediately he begins working on ideas for the next game. And even that "awful" Gran Turismo, GT5, is still wildly popular with gamers, so assuming that everyone is even mildly put off by some of GT5's shortcomings to the point GT6 is threatened in any way is rather presumptuous. Just my thinking, but it really seems the Earth leans more my way than yours on GT.

Can't argue with a Kaz "insider" that knows the man so well, he can predict his feelings years in advance:dunce::dunce:

As @Samus says, and for the what, the 10,000th time:confused::confused:, GT competes for sales almost exclusively with other PS3 racing sims. You must be utterly blind to not see that the coming of PCars and to a lesser extent Drive Club, offer the first serious competition in years to GT. Throw another serious racing/driving sim in there in the next couple of years and I guarantee you PD will have their hands full.

From an objective viewpoint, it wasn't excellent. It didn't suck. But expectations were high, and it didn't meet those expectations.

GT5 lacked any real game. It had cars and it had tracks and good physics but it had pitifully few events and no career mode. It had grinding for xp and credits. GT5 Prologue was so good I couldn't believe that the full game was lacking key elements.

I preordered GT5 Collectors Edition and counted the days until it was released. For GT6 I need to see what I'm getting first.

Funny, I think I'm excited about GT 6 for the wrong reasons... Its more about using my current hardware, not having a need for next gen yet (if you knew me you would laugh, as buying consoles is partially obligatory), and bored of everything else.

I played the heck out of GT 5 at the beginning and never looked back until more recently. And I'm quite ok with GT 5 now if I ignore they lack of any single player structure :/

Can't argue with a Kaz "insider" that knows the man so well, he can predict his feelings years in advance:dunce::dunce:

As @Samus says, and for the what, the 10,000th time:confused::confused:, GT competes for sales almost exclusively with other PS3 racing sims. You must be utterly blind to not see that the coming of PCars and to a lesser extent Drive Club, offer the first serious competition in years to GT. Throw another serious racing/driving sim in there in the next couple of years and I guarantee you PD will have their hands full.
I don't agree based on the merits that GT is the most successful Sony game franchise. Forza is the closest and arguably a lot more fun but still has a long way to go...

Even Forza 5 still uses baked shadows around the wheels and bottom of the car to cover up the flaws in the lighting model...

GT stands as the benchmark, you can see GT influence in every console racer, even if GT 5 seems dated in the "gameplay" area... And PC is just a different ball of wax.

Last edited by a moderator:

I agree. GT5P was small, but by Spec 3 it was a really polished experience.

Maybe because it isn't easy to do what PD has accomplished with the hardware? You may see clones of GT6 for the PS4 now. Easier to write for and powerful (RAM) enough to make the job much easier...

Given what PD could give us on the PS3, it'll be interesting to see what they can do with the PS4, with fewer "hoops" to jump through to get the hardware to do what you want.

The technical wizardry need not be duplicated for another game to be a solid GT clone. It's the fundamental gameplay that needs copying. Semi-realistic physics at a minimum, and a reasonably wide range of road cars. Judging by GT1 and GT3 I'd say more than a couple of hundred at least. All other parts of the game can be simply average, because that's what clones do. Be average "me too" copies of a good product.

As long as graphics, sounds, gameplay and the rest of it were at least OK then some people would buy it. Not ten million, but if even ten percent of the people who buy GT pick up a copy that's pretty good. And I'm not talking about these clones being in competition with GT, I'm talking about them selling alongside. The people that would buy this are the same people who would buy GT, because two games of a specific type in 8 years is an enormous drought.

It's not about how difficult it would be to make a GT clone, because it wouldn't be any more difficult than anything else. It's that for whatever reason, companies don't want to get into that space.

We're talking about full numbered GT titles right? So 10.85m would be the number as I believe GT5 will pass GT1. GT6 has no chance to break 10m. Bad marketing, bad/late release date, its predecessor was a disappointment, no massive upgrades to things like sound and graphics, things that really sell games.

Ill make the wager even easier on you. I dont think GT6 will even pass 7M. I think alot of people underestimate the damage GT5 did to the GT brand...and then the 3 year wait for them to make it right. And then releasing it after PS4's launch...on PS3. One mistake after another.

So are we agreed on 7m? Or is there another wager more short term based on sales so one or the other can collect a prize sooner rather then later?

I think GT6 sales will look like this:

.5m Japan
1.5m North America
4.5m Europe and elsewhere
I preordered my GT6, but i have to admit that GT5 was disappointing to me.
You have a point.

Thats my point! People wonder what alternatives there is to GT, well you have to go for GRID, switch to Xbox with Forza, NFS Shift or you can go PC with sims like RFactor or iRacing. So there you have it. GT against these seemingly stands up pretty well. I wont say its perfect because it isn't. The main point I'm making is people have choices, but the majority choose Gran Turismo.
I tired Grid, hated it, tried Shift and Shift 2 did not like either of them, in fact Shift 2 on the XBox was one of the worse driving games I have played in the last 10 years. rFactor and iRacing are nothing like GT,

So the only choice that I am aware of is Forza and I have played it to death already just like GT. If Forza 5 was coming to the 360 I would get that and GT6 but seeing that it is on the XB1 and I would need to buy yet another wheel then it looks like I will not be playing that one any time soon which means that GT6 is the ONLY option. I am just glad that it is going to be available, can't wait to get my hands on it and take a few laps around Bathhurst. Williow Springs and of course the Ring :)

They would be lower if it was a PS4-only game.

As made evident by GT6 being higher up the Amazon sales than FM5.

this makes no sense considering PS4 has nearly double the preorder numbers than Xbone, they're sold out everywhere and Sony can't make them fast enough, they're projecting 5 million units sold by April of next year, GT6 has terrible preorder numbers because not only are a lot of people (including myself) moving onto next gen but they've done nothing innovative other than polish GT5, have you seen the GT6 gameplay videos popping up on the front page lately? If you told me it was GT5 i would believe you, from the sound to the incredibly bland track detail, GT6 has pass written all over it.

Do you have a source for that along with the concurrent pre-order figures for GT5 30+ days out?

GT6 is currently around 66,000...GT5 sold over 500,000 units in the first week, now say half of those people pre-ordered (it's probably closer to 75%) to play it safe there would be well over 200,000 units preordered (more than likely closer to 250,000) this puts GT6 at less than 25% the amount of preorders that GT5 had at the same time (once again that's even playing it safe) that's pretty awful, anything else you need Sherlock?

GT6 is currently around 66,000...GT5 sold over 500,000 units in the first week, now say half of those people pre-ordered (it's probably closer to 75%) to play it safe there would be well over 200,000 units preordered (more than likely closer to 250,000) this puts GT6 at less than 25% the amount of preorders that GT5 had at the same time (once again that's even playing it safe) that's pretty awful, anything else you need Sherlock?

I don't see a source there and you're making an unfounded assumption about GT5 pre-orders. So far you've added nothing Elmo.

Since you're new here, and seem to be wet behind the ear especially with your moronic "sherlock" retort, I'll help you. You are asked to provide a source because when you sign up the AUP says to do so. If you make a claim that you can't back up when asked to do, you could possibly get in trouble. So instead of being so "nice" (many have and there is list of how they were taken off the forum) and intellectual, I see it as my civic duty to warn you. Also you touting numbers doesn't provide any intellectual insight on where you got those numbers, your defending the OP's claim so you must provide a source.

Didn't realize you were new @Elmo:lol: errrr... @BURIAL. So yeah, what @LMSCorvetteGT2 said. When we make claims about facts, you will almost always be asked to back them up with a source. Nothing against you of course, we're all expected to do the same. :cheers:

Since you're new here, and seem to be wet behind the ear especially with your moronic "sherlock" retort, I'll help you. You are asked to provide a source because when you sign up the AUP says to do so. If you make a claim that you can't back up when asked to do, you could possibly get in trouble. So instead of being so "nice" (many have and there is list of how they were taken off the forum) and intellectual, I see it as my civic duty to warn you. Also you touting numbers doesn't provide any intellectual insight on where you got those numbers, your defending the OP's claim so you must provide a source.

That source has been named on more than one occasion in this very thread, i would hope for your sake you're really not as inept at basic internet usage as you seem to exude. http://bit.ly/1ayCgdC

Once again, please provide sources for your claims, the level of pre-orders for GT6, the relevant pre-orders for GT5 and the GT5 sales in the first week, or withdraw your remarks if you are unwilling to back them up. It's your job to back up your claims, not ours.

Once again, please provide sources for your claims, the level of pre-orders for GT6, the relevant pre-orders for GT5 and the GT5 sales in the first week, or withdraw your remarks if you are unwilling to back them up. It's your job to back up your claims, not ours.

The facts have been presented, whether you choose to validate them yourself is your business, not looking to gain your approval as you're clearly unwilling to accept reality, the numbers are right in front of you, laziness will get you nowhere in life.

That source has been named on more than one occasion in this very thread, i would hope for your sake you're really not as inept at basic internet usage as you seem to exude. http://bit.ly/1ayCgdC

Once again AUP dictates we are not inept at using the net, if you want to act rude because you weren't hugged enough as a child, do it in private. Maybe it's the NYC charm but once again a concrete source is what is needed, telling someone to google it isn't enough, it's about as inane and asinine as you making a claim in a professional forum and then someone asking you to back it up and you telling them to go peruse the local library. Instead of being daft you could easily give a website, but you have yet to tell us which one and then you still haven't told us if the GT5 stats were also taken from there.

Also it's quite a leap to think that based on one asking for you to validate "claimed facts" equates into not knowing how to use the internet, but I guess that's your prerogative to be looked at as some sort of troll. Also a few of us who have asked for actual facts are quite critical of PD, so you're clearly doing something ignorant if you've got us against you when this would only further help the many arguments we got going against PD at this time. I'm sure you wont relish this though, you'll probably put up another riveting piece on how your ignored by us and we're so dumb and blah blah blah.

Instead of being daft you could easily give a website, but you have yet to tell us which one and then you still haven't told us if the GT5 stats were also taken from there.

Also it's quite a leap to think that based on one asking for you to validate "claimed facts" equates into not knowing how to use the internet

There's only one reputable website for these numbers and it's listed several times in this thread and in the results provided, use your head.

And i wouldn't say it's that far off considering you still haven't seemed to figure out where to go to find these facts, here i'll help you out http://www.vgchartz.com/ now do you need me to hold your hand while you do your research?

Reputable to whom? This is the same forum that has said the opposite so it isn't easy to know who is right but it is a source, so the burden of proof doesn't fall on you but rather the actual site.

I know where to go, but you made the claim why you have your underwear in a bunch because people wanted you to follow AUP like everyone else is beyond me. Once again when you make a claim you must show where from not a vague haystack, we all provide links when we claim facts and I can show you recent threads. I didn't throw a fit like a child and say "well why should I help you find them"

Back