GT 6 pre-orders very low

• Thread starter bigspleen
  • 539 comments
Having the same preorder numbers as Forza is never a good sign. GT has always outsold Forza considerably, and Forza has always had disappointing sales. Not to mention Forza 5 is a launch title, while GT6 has its 80,000,000 strong PS3 userbase so many like to remind us of.

From the chart Im looking at Forza 5 has 90,000 preorders and GT6 only has 60,000. I mean Lightning Returns has more preorders. Thats awful.

GT6 will be the worst selling Gran Turismo. Its presence at game shows has been truly awful. Very few new features have been unveiled or talked about in any detail. The biggest requests like sound and livery editor will not be addressed at launch. The demos themselves hide more then they show. We still havent seen a car take a single scratch in gameplay or videos or anywhere.
GT is always on par with Forza these last games... In the great U.S. of A.

On PAR. Elsewhere, would you care to elaborate on why FM hasn't kept up at all (elsewhere)?

You are looking at this numbers:

12/2010 - 5.5 million
2/2011 - 6.37 million
12/2011 - 7.3 million
9/2012 - 9 million
3/2013 - 10.66 million

All them official and recorded at the time:
http://www.polyphony.co.jp/english/list.html
https://www.gtplanet.net/tag/gt5-sales/

Vgchartz is not an accurate source and never will be.
The GT6 Epic Whining and Crying Thread

All sources have elements within them that are questionable, even the official ones, as what you didn't mention in regard to those is that they are of course not sold units, but rather shipped units. as such we have no way of knowing by date if those sales figures were achieved or have been cherry picked to highlight peaks in the production and shipping runs.

Every figure for sales should be treated as indicative, however as long as a consistent source is used for comparison (regardless of if you are comparing one title to another in the same series or two titles from different series) they will result in a reasonable comparison (of something for which no true objective data exists).

In regard to sales volumes, personally I don't see GT6 being the best selling title in the GT series at all, its final place however will be hard to judge, but I'm no expecting it to set the world alight (by GT standards). What I am sure of is that over the critical 18 - 24 month period (when its a full price title and yielding maximum revenue and profit for Sony) it will sell significantly more than it would have on the PS4; and that gents is exactly what Sony and PD care about.

Having the same preorder numbers as Forza is never a good sign. GT has always outsold Forza considerably, and Forza has always had disappointing sales. Not to mention Forza 5 is a launch title, while GT6 has its 80,000,000 strong PS3 userbase so many like to remind us of.

From the chart Im looking at Forza 5 has 90,000 preorders and GT6 only has 60,000. I mean Lightning Returns has more preorders. Thats awful.

There's some problem with that reasoning though.

1. GT and FM sale history doesn't really overlap. Four out of 5 GT titles were released before the first FM title was out, and during the past 5 Forza titles (including Horizon), only one GT title has been released.

2. FM has been released in tighter intervals. There were only two years between each title. GT titles had more time to accumulate sales. Although sales would decrease with time, it's still a factor to keep in mind.

3. What market are you looking at? If it's the US, then Forza has a history of rather strong sales there, as compared to the rest of the world. Forza 3 even sold better there than GT5.

4. The customers of a next gen console might be more inclined to pre-order games, than those who own current gen consoles. Next gen does produce more hype and that could very well play a part in pre-orders.

Here's a chart with the sales of each series in the US market. Included titles are GT 1-5 and Forza 1-4 + Horizon.
(The lines indicating every 2 years are a bit off-center because LibreOffice is a useless piece of software)

GTFMSales.jpg

Now, if you ignore Horizon (which is sort of a niche title compared to 1-4 and as such may not be comparable), the only title which may have sold bad (considering FM is a relatively new series and it takes time to grow a base of customers) is FM4. It doesn't provide a very strong base for predicting FM5 sales, and altogether the history doesn't give much when predicting sales in comparison to Gran Turismo.

I feel that this thread was made to get a arise out of the "fans" of the series, which failed horribly as well due to no source. Wanting the whoooole internet to know that "GT6 has low pre-orders" with, again, no source added at the OP... Guess it really is hard for some people to move on, is it?

Heh. That's what makes the GT series so popular and continue to be more popular, so do continue thank you. :sly:

All sources have elements within them that are questionable, even the official ones, as what you didn't mention in regard to those is that they are of course not sold units, but rather shipped units. as such we have no way of knowing by date if those sales figures were achieved or have been cherry picked to highlight peaks in the production and shipping runs.

Every figure for sales should be treated as indicative, however as long as a consistent source is used for comparison (regardless of if you are comparing one title to another in the same series or two titles from different series) they will result in a reasonable comparison (of something for which no true objective data exists).
I don't know why you insist in defend vgchartz. Official numbers are the standard in how are measured all videogames sales in the market. And there are vgchartz numbers based on estimates that not even are rectified once the official and real sales are released. Their numbers are never used by the serious press and are banned in discussion from the most respected videogame sites for a reason.

A shipped game is a publisher sold game and you know that. I don't know why you also insist in discuss what once were your own arguments. In the past you was one of the voice of reason in these discussions but you at times Scaff acts very strange. :confused:

HBK
And they also show 'shipped' figures most of the time, making then pretty inaccurate.
Again I would have to disagree with that, once a publisher has sold a title to a shop (chain, indie, etc) they care very little; from a shareholders point of view they job is pretty much done at that point. Studios and publishers (so PD and Sony or T10 and MS) make money when a title is sold to the retailer, not when its sold to the end user. Now some new IPs may well be sold to retailers on a 'sale or return' basis (to help negate the risk to the retails of an unknown title), but with the likes of GT and FM the demand is known to exist and the publishers hold all the cards, which in these examples make shipped figures worthwhile.

HBK
So, yeah. To each his own, I guess.
Indeed, but I would still say that shipped/sales figures are a valid topic for discussion and a good measure of the popularity (or at the very least the expected popularity) of a title, and certainly an important measure of the future a series has.

I don't know why you insist in defend vgchartz. Official numbers are the standard in how are measured all videogames sales in the market. And there are vgchartz numbers based on estimates that not even are rectified once the official and real sales are released. Their numbers are never used by the serious press and are banned in discussion from the most respected videogame sites for a reason.

A shipped game is a publisher sold game and you know that. I don't know why you also insist in discuss what once were your own arguments. In the past you was one of the voice of reason in these discussions but you at times Scaff acts very strange. :confused:

Interesting quotes there :)

well not all of us who plan on buying the game are pre ordering it i for one gonna wait for reviews first because GT5 was a BIG disappointment to me in terms of o offline mode ( i cant play online always laggy for me ) so ill wait to see if GT6 career mode + AI are worth buying or not

Odd as I've not defended or condemned VG Chartz in that particular post (or PD's figures for that matter), rather just pointed out that if you are going to use figures then ones from a consistent sources are ideal and that comparisons VG and PD figures would show two different things (Shop sales vs Shipped) which could cause confusion.

As such you are clearly misreading my post, particularly as you have even left off the final paragraph that puts it into context....

In regard to sales volumes, personally I don't see GT6 being the best selling title in the GT series at all, its final place however will be hard to judge, but I'm no expecting it to set the world alight (by GT standards). What I am sure of is that over the critical 18 - 24 month period (when its a full price title and yielding maximum revenue and profit for Sony) it will sell significantly more than it would have on the PS4; and that gents is exactly what Sony and PD care about.

My post (in context) doesn't condemn or condone either source, nor does it conflict with my past posts on the subject, yet you have quote mined it to make it look that way. Many be you would like (via PM) to explain exactly why you have chosen to do that?

Interesting quotes there :)
If you want to take them out of context and have an agenda

Well I do not pay much attention to pre-order stats, I can say this though. When GT5 was about to be released myself and all my racing buddies pre-ordered it. So far I am the only one who has pre-ordered GT6 but all my buddies are planning to buy it as well, they may or may not place a pre-order before it is released.

Well, I think obviously different than many in this thread.

In my opinion, GT6 will sell more than GT5 in its lifetime and will generate even higher revenues through DLC program.

It will not have same initial performance in the first weeks due to PS4 arrival, but it will probably top 10+ million once it "closes" the shop.

We will see.

For people comparing GT5 pre-orders and GT6 pre-orders. Its also important to note the 4 year hype train and preview prologue of GT5 that existed. Many people that were excited about GT5 I know literally had no idea GT6 was coming out this year or on PS3. The marketing has been totally different.

There are proven trends based on preorders and sales forcasts with a consideration for shelf life. Then a multiplier based on territories so a flat 2-3x is applied. Often based on previous trends of the series or competitive products.

But there is also a massive error correction durring a console transition. Just look at other current gen preorder numbers. This is all expected as the attention is on next gen and the "early adapters". And this is also expected/intentional as all the publishers want/need indicators for who is going to be the dominant platform so they can plan or simply firm up their roadmaps.

The sales of next gen won't even dent the instal base of current gen, but the data from current gen new products isn't really any help to future planning.

All that being said, or perhaps in short, preorder "rules" do not apply the same as they traditionally have and VG charts isn't close to reliable. NPD is the most reliable source (physical goods) and I can tell you that not even 20% of the data is in there yet, and likely wont be as retailers aren't reporting nor will they bring any attention to anything else that could detract from the interests of the "newest" toys.

Welcome to the great "fog" that is a console transition. It's been 8 years since the last one but its following the exact same trend... And with it a whole lot of people who have never experienced one on the business side, in the business.

Seeing as GTp has a small percentage of GT players that are hard core. And seeing as most of the people here are buying gt6.. Seeing as most people in the world" I meant to say have a ps3 instead of a 360.. "and seeing as most of them enjoy the franchise.. Seeing as Gt5 has legs to sell despite the flaws etc..

Last edited:
seeing as GTp has a small percentage of GT players that are hard core. And seeing as most of the people here are buying gt6.. Seeing as most people in the world have ps3's and seeing as most of them enjoy the franchise.. Seeing as Gt5 has legs to sell despite the flaws etc..

Back to math and geography class Frogman:idea::lol:

seeing as GTp has a small percentage of GT players that are hard core. And seeing as most of the people here are buying gt6.. Seeing as most people in the world have ps3's and seeing as most of them enjoy the franchise.. Seeing as Gt5 has legs to sell despite the flaws etc..

That's a lot of things to see.

Let us know when you get to the point.

In my opinion, GT6 will sell more than GT5 in its lifetime and will generate even higher revenues through DLC program.

It will not have same initial performance in the first weeks due to PS4 arrival, but it will probably top 10+ million once it "closes" the shop.

We will see.
That's what I thought too. But once I saw this thread and the pre-order numbers, I was like, "noooo wayyyyy jose.'
/s
:D

That's what I thought too. But once I saw this thread and the pre-order numbers, I was like, "noooo wayyyyy jose.'
/s
:D

We can argue about that until hell frezzes over because we are talking distant future without facts. I agree with Zer0, VGC are not a source, nor have ever been. Also, there is no way to know the actual nimbers of preorders from the GT series greatest market, and thatis worldwide PAL.

Noone knows that, and also, I still do not understand why can anyone predict anything without any true evidence. Including myself, with my optimistic predictions which are based on the pure logic.

On another note, I think how general review scores will play extremely significant role in the sales of GT6 and I am really looking forward to see the finished game in 30 days.

The stronger marketing push will start in forecoming days and this time it will be much more oriented towards US market, which will be great focuse for the GT6. Also, delay of DriveClub will provide GT6 with more space among people with PS3 consoles. And also, the GT6 will be the first GT game for PS3 on many markets SCE opened in last 3 years, together with marketing gained woth GTAcademy.

I don't know why many prefer to use "data" from one online source to predict something that have no similarities in its sales with other games on market. GT has always been a strange example of game with peaks and legs like no other and I can see how GT6 will walk the same path.

We will see.

This is a very good point, Amar; while I have a different prediction about GT6's sales totals (and a bet with @Johnnypenso on it ;) ), what we won't really know is how much the DLC program will benefit PD. It's a much different beast than it was in GT5, really; it sounds like they've included the DLC into the regular production schedule (and therefore, budget) of the full-game, and are holding on to the DLC to release in these supposed monthly packs. That could be very lucrative for PD.

I guess we'll see soon enough. Not that we have any concrete sources on GT6's pre-order numbers, but I too wouldn't expect them to match GT5's.

@amar212
SEMA 2013, here we come!

I really don't know of any other events (besides the Ascari/Ronda event) that's being held before GT6 releases.

Can anyone fill me in on the other events that will possibly be a venue for a showcasing of GT6?

Let the game GT6 launch, with some new cars mentioned on the covers.
Remember, thousands don't follow progress on forums, or don't have the facilities.
I knew nothing of GT4, but when I saw it on the shelve with that box art and GT40, I was sold already.

GT6 will be a big hit.

A game coming out when all the hype is on a new gen of consoles will always struggle to gain interest especially compared to GT5 which came out in the middle of a lull and was one of the few PS3 beacons at the time. GT5 being a disappointment will also take the edge off and give PD a lot of work to do to make GT6 stand on it's own.

Luckily PD is helping GT6 immensely with the steady release of facts and features and fantastic screenshots and videos... oh wait.

I personally am still undecided if I should preorder the anniversary edition (to a damn high price...) or better wait for a possible collectors edition.

I'll simply wait until a few days before release.

I personally am still undecided if I should preorder the anniversary edition (to a damn high price...) or better wait for a possible collectors edition.

I'll simply wait until a few days before release.

Ya where the heck is Europe's and North America's Collectors Editon with 1:43 model, Asia has theirs announced over a month ago... could be it was a bit a logistics nightmare for GT5 with very low sales that they've resiricted this to Asia only this time around...

i1lMdcZMNb0vtW.jpg

Back