GT SPORT AUGUST UPDATE1.25

• Thread starter Sven4057
  • 698 comments
That's the US side of things. I read that the Union Jack tail lights were designed mainly for the US market because buyers over there tend to be Anglophiles (if they sold Renaults over there they'd incorporate Eifle Towers in the lights for the same effect). The main US target market think MINIs are twee, and are the same folk that think us Brits all live in thatched cottages and eat fish and chips whilst going to work on bowler hats.

This is getting a bit OT, but most people in the local MINI community I interacted with didn't buy one because they were Anglophiles, they just loved hot hatches or thought they were a cool/fun/retro design. Very few MINIs I've ever seen in the States had the Union Jack customizations. These days MINIs -- at least here in California -- are ubiquitous and I imagine BMW has toned down the British aspect of the marketing.

I'd still like one in the game though. It's very odd to have a brand museum and all that, but only have a '60s Mini and the VGT.

That would be an inaccurate generalisation.
Prince is the codename for a family of automobile straight-4 engines developed by PSA Peugeot Citroën and BMW. It is a compact engine family of 1.4–1.6 L in displacement and includes most modern features including gasoline direct injection, turbocharging, BMW VANOS and variable valve timing.

The BMW variants of the Prince engine are known as the N12, N13, N14, N16 and N18. It replaced the Tritec engine family in the Mini

The production of MINI version of 'Prince' family of engines is set to end by 2016, and be replaced by its very latest 3 and 4 cylinder Engine family - BMW B36, BMW B38 and BMW B48.[13]

You are right @MatskiMonk I was innacurate. The engines stopped being french in 2016.

Developed by French and German companies, and built in the UK by a German company doesn't really equal "being French", IMHO.
They were made by the Peugeot/Citroen consortium in partnership with BMW. There is nothing wrong in being 2/3 French. Actually the best part of the french cars is normally the engine (the rest of a french car is pretty much crap these days but engines are still their forte)

The more diversity the better. I worked for General Motors (quality control) in Spain in a place called Figueruellas, one of the biggest plants of Europe (they even have their own rail lines). We made the Corsa, Meriva and Zafira there (including a big quota of the Vauxhall badged). German chassis, Italian engine, Japanese gearbox, English badge, American design, Spanish made. A complete Frankenstein.

Probably the best ones to come out of this car-fusion were the Saab, bulletproof Swedish saloon and coupes, and quite sporty by the way. Sad they are gone.

They were made by the Peugeot/Citroen consortium in partnership with BMW. There is nothing wrong in being 2/3 French. Actually the best part of the french cars is normally the engine (the rest of a french car is pretty much crap these days but engines are still their forte)

The more diversity the better. I worked for General Motors (quality control) in Spain in a place called Figueruellas, one of the biggest plants of Europe (they even have their own rail lines). We made the Corsa, Meriva and Zafira there (including a big quota of the Vauxhall badged). German chassis, Italian engine, Japanese gearbox, English badge, American design, Spanish made. A complete Frankenstein.

Probably the best ones to come out of this car-fusion were the Saab, bulletproof Swedish saloon and coupes, and quite sporty by the way. Sad they are gone.

Fair enough, I'm still not buying two thirds French, but I do respect your position. I've been involved with 2nd/3rd tier OEM supply for 20+ years of my working life and it's made me quite pedantic about certain things!

Fair enough, I'm still not buying two thirds French, but I do respect your position. I've been involved with 2nd/3rd tier OEM supply for 20+ years of my working life and it's made me quite pedantic about certain things!
You are not pedantic, you are wise, which is always good :cheers:

Really enjoying this update. The Mini Cooper is so much fun. Has anyone else been flipping it over in VR mode? :lol:

Here's my attempts around Brands Hatch:

When you firm up the suspension, it's actually a really nice car to drive.

I loved the old Mini Coopers in real life and I love how GT Sport has captured the car, really does actually feel quite realistic.

Good work guys, great update :cheers:

Really enjoying this update. The Mini Cooper is so much fun. Has anyone else been flipping it over in VR mode? :lol:

Here's my attempts around Brands Hatch:

When you firm up the suspension, it's actually a really nice car to drive.

I loved the old Mini Coopers in real life and I love how GT Sport has captured the car, really does actually feel quite realistic.

Good work guys, great update :cheers:

And now the Beetle. I would have done a bigger tribute at the time, but I recorded this before it was announced that Volkswagen were going to stop making Beetles!

Was mega fun to drive though - especially with boosted power! The snaps of oversteer were so much fun to battle against:

Anyone else had a go in the Beetle?

Back