GT Sport Driver Coaching

• Thread starter RaceFace85
  • 260 comments
I would like to have some advice for the upcoming FiA Nations Cup :)
This is the best I managed in FP so far, and a 1:33.847 in a practice lobby using the sane line. Thank you in advance! :D

This is the best I managed in FP so far, and a 1:33.847 in a practice lobby using the sane line. Thank you in advance! :D

I wish I had advice for you, I love all layouts of this track but I am dog slow here, on race C this morning my best lap is only 2:20:banghead:
:banghead::banghead:

I'm kind of embarrassed to even admit that

I was able to run a 32.4 with the FT-1, which is better than I was expecting. It's worth mentioning that I went +5 on the brakes because that fits my driving style.

For your lap, you're losing the bulk of your time in the first chicane by attempting a more straightline approach and having to lift too much. I've tried that as well and it doesn't work for me. What I do is turn more into the initial apex to where I may get a rear wheel on the grass. I go a touch slower than you at the first apex with a bit of coasting into it but that's okay. The gains come when I get nicer approach angles for the right and subsequent left without needing to mow the lawns as much. I'm able to stay in 3rd gear and be more aggressive with the throttle. The car does want to step out so I have to play with my right foot a bit.

I was able to run a 32.4 with the FT-1, which is better than I was expecting. It's worth mentioning that I went +5 on the brakes because that fits my driving style.

For your lap, you're losing the bulk of your time in the first chicane by attempting a more straightline approach and having to lift too much. I've tried that as well and it doesn't work for me. What I do is turn more into the initial apex to where I may get a rear wheel on the grass. I go a touch slower than you at the first apex with a bit of coasting into it but that's okay. The gains come when I get nicer approach angles for the right and subsequent left without needing to mow the lawns as much. I'm able to stay in 3rd gear and be more aggressive with the throttle. The car does want to step out so I have to play with my right foot a bit.
Ohhhh, thank you! :D
If I'm getting this right, I'll turn in earlier for the first left-hander in the chicane, and then get a shallow angle to the right-hander without dipping my wheels to the grass? :)

Ohhhh, thank you! :D
If I'm getting this right, I'll turn in earlier for the first left-hander in the chicane, and then get a shallow angle to the right-hander without dipping my wheels to the grass? :)
That's the general idea. I've tried mowing the lawn with the FT-1 and I feel other cars are better suited for it. Also, I found the FT-1 more of a handful with tire wear on starting at the first chicane and forward.

That's the general idea. I've tried mowing the lawn with the FT-1 and I feel other cars are better suited for it. Also, I found the FT-1 more of a handful with tire wear on starting at the first chicane and forward.
Alright, I'll keep that in mind. Many thanks again :)

Feeling a little miffed today, I can’t beat 1:39.4 on dragon trail, I don’t think it’s me, I think maybe my wheel? I’m having to turn it a lot more than normal. I would upload a video but you won’t be able to see if the wheel is affecting my lap.

I don’t get why I’m so far off the pace.

Oh I should also mention my having to turn the wheel more than normal is making the car more susceptible to spinning, which is irritating.

Last edited:
Feeling a little miffed today, I can’t beat 1:39.4 on dragon trail, I don’t think it’s me, I think maybe my wheel? I’m having to turn it a lot more than normal. I would upload a video but you won’t be able to see if the wheel is affecting my lap.

I don’t get why I’m so far off the pace.

Oh I should also mention my having to turn the wheel more than normal is making the car more susceptible to spinning, which is irritating.
yeah a video would be nice. Also for reference, how much do you turn the wheel at T1-2? It might be your steering wheel...

yeah a video would be nice. Also for reference, how much do you turn the wheel at T1-2? It might be your steering wheel...
I’m almost at 180 degrees for the left into the first chicane, which seems a lot, right? Especially as there are tighter turns in the game where I’m required to turn more than that, and faster too

I’m almost at 180 degrees for the left into the first chicane, which seems a lot, right? Especially as there are tighter turns in the game where I’m required to turn more than that, and faster too
Ohhh I know what you're talking about; I'm pretty sure it's your wheel. Try restarting the PS4. I take that corner a little past 90 degrees only. Happens to me every now and then as well :(

Ohhh I know what you're talking about; I'm pretty sure it's your wheel. Try restarting the PS4. I take that corner a little past 90 degrees only. Happens to me every now and then as well :(

I’m sure that’s as much as I would normally turn, anyway I’ve restarted the PS4 and seem to be improving. I’m still not as fast as I would like so I will upload a video anyway and you guys can roast me

Here's the lap, help a brother out. Comments of "Get out of the Viper" or "Use the GR Supra" will not be tolerated :lol:

Get out of the Viper.
Jkjk :lol:

On the run-up to your flyer, you didn't use all the track on the entry towards last corner. This gave you an early apex and you had to modulate the throttle for too long for an ideal exit. You also touched the grass on the home straight. Small detail, but it'll ultimately cost you another km/h or so

T1-2 are textbook definitions of how to go around there, however I can't help but notice that your ghost is substantially faster there as well. Nothing really to correct here, just that if you can match your ghost there that'd be an instant 2-3/10ths there :)

T3 you took the kerbs too aggressively and unsettled the car. Your ghost got there just fine though so you can just follow it again like in T1-2

T4 is perfect as well. If you can just link your ghost's T1-3 with your T4, I'd say a 33.0-32.9 is possible without any further improvements

T5-7 you lost a lot of time because of the steering rhythm and initial braking. Instead of dabbing the brakes and then coasting, try trail braking all the way to the apex of T5, and then it'll be flat out through T6 and 7. You know you've nailed that section if you can go flat-out through T6-7 without feeling any sort of understeer, yet fast enough to naturally pull the car to the kerbs without being unsettled

T8 is just a matter of having titanium balls to go full throttle much earlier. You can go about it by carefully feeding the car more power, or in my case (since my pedals are sort of not working and I can't modulate as well as I'd like) go balls to the walls and countersteer the hell outta dat Vipah :lol: the kerbs won't kill you, it's the thin patch of grass just beyond it, so careful there

Bus stop is clinical, love it :)

The final corner is good, but it can be improved upon. Try turning in later, bit by bit, until you can't reach the apex anymore. If you can just find out how late you can enter thst corner, you're golden :)

@Alpha Cipher I had watched a replay of TRL_someoneorother who is in No.1 sport currently, they enter the final turn much later than I do also, so ill be trying that. Brake straighter for longer and turn it later, easy, right?

At T1-2 yeah my ghost had previously nailed it, every once in a while it happens and I don't see that as somewhere I'm losing masses of time. And yes T3 did unsettle the car, most of the time I have to lift but I know its possible without lifting so that why I keep trying it. Then T4 other replays show cars turning in marginally later than I do so perhaps another thing to try. If I can get 32.9 for sector one I'll be immensely proud.

Sector 2 is different every time I do it but ill try trail braking into the apex like you say. Then into T8 I'm also really struggling with getting the power down earlier like you say, the car is so prone to spinning even at 1/3 throttle, really irritating, that was the main reason I thought my wheel was playing up because I was turning SO much to get the car round.

Bus stop is all about being a maniac, like you say, and we covered the final turn already, so ill put all of that into practise later.

Thanks dude!

Oh yeah I do see the top players braking at the 100m board at the final corner. I hold back a bit there because I can't hit the apex at all if I brake that late, but I think with enough practice I'll be also able to do that :)

Before going to T3 if you look to the left there's a small discoloration on the hill; that's my turn-in point for most cars to have it flat-out
received_2093279597380240.jpeg

T8 really is just a test of courage, it'll eventually come to you :)

Glad I helped!

I am wanting to start out series 2 strong and am looking for feedback from a quick session I did at Brands Hatch in the Corvette Gr. 4 car. Turn one was shifting down too fast.

I am wanting to start out series 2 strong and am looking for feedback from a quick session I did at Brands Hatch in the Corvette Gr. 4 car. Turn one was shifting down too fast.

Turn 1, keep it in 4th gear.

Turn 2, don't touch the inside curb, you can carry more speed and accelerate earlier with a later apex.

Turn 3, before turn in, go further to the right and use the full width of the track. It's generally ok to use a little inside curb and run out further onto that green mesh stuff a bit.

Turn 4, you're turning in too early and just coasting on the left. Turn in later and use a later apex to straighten out exit and get on the gas way earlier.

Turn 5, After braking, turn in sharper and stay off throttle just long enough to rotate the car. Go full throttle just before apex. Again use full width of the track.

Turn 6, use the full width of the track at exit and you can carry a lot more speed. You can probably stay in 4th gear as well.

Between 6 and 7, don't go all the way to the right, stay in the middle of the track to set up turn 7 better.

Turn 7, don't drop to 3rd gear, stay in 4th. Use a lot of the inside curb here and you can carry more speed.

Turn 8, use some of the inside curb and stay in 3rd gear.

Last turn, use full width of the track. On the follow through go to the far right after that light green patch near that little tower thing to shorten the overall length of the straight, then angle over to the left. On a qualifying lap, stay far right on the straight all the way across the finish line.

Main concepts:
  • Use full width of track.
  • Apex later to straighten exit and get on throttle earlier.
  • Don't drop down to a lower gear unnecessarily.
Do those main things and easily save over a second per lap.

edit: adjusted my comments for turn 5.

Last edited:

Didn't get a chance to run a lap myself so these are more general points.

Paddock Hill Bend - I would use somewhere between the II and I boards to start slowing down. If you're concerned about understeer, you can lift off at the II board and do some coasting before turning in. I would stay in 4th and you want to arc the turn so that you end up grazing the rumbles on exit. As you find more speed at the apex, you'll need to watch how much throttle you add.

Graham Hill Bend - Don't be afraid of those rumbles on exit. Use them up by setting yourself up further left before the turn, dab the brake and use less steering angle overall. You can gain tons of time here.

Westfield Bend - Again, turning too much in trying to avoid the rumbles. Grant you, those rumbles can spin you out in certain cases so just let the car drift out towards them.

Sheene Curve - Everyone's favorite corner. It takes a lot of practice to keep the car on the left hand side of the track without clipping the grass but it's necessary to get the corner right. Be mindful that the track bends before the approach so if you keep adding a bit of wheel throughout, then that will keep you on course. Keep an eye on the I board because the braking and turning will be around that point or maybe even a bit before it for safety. You need to commit in attacking the apex. The game is generous on the track limits so go right at it. Past the apex, you still need to keep turning. Watch how much throttle you add because too much and you can end up clipping the grass on exit and crashing. This is just me but only go full out here during qualfying and time trials. Find a comfortable limit and use that during the race.

Stirlings Bend - You should be turning sooner than you are and carrying more speed.

Basically, you'll gain more time with more bravery getting closer to the track edge and more speed into corners. It is a tough little track and you may have a fair share of crashes here but it's also rather short. I will admit that this track is one example where I feel the hood cam makes it much easier to drive than the bumper cam, so some switching back and forth may help.

This was my best lap on Bathurst, a track that I always struggled on, but that I really want to do well on this weekend :rolleyes:

So, my optimal time would be a 2:02.4, there are some obvious mistakes made on my lap too @ 1:04, 1:24 and 1:53 that must've cost me about .5 second.

Big thanks to Raceface in creating this thread, seems really helpfull! :gtpflag:

At the most corners you are very fast but there are some points to improve.

0:42 you can brake later
0:53 full throttle [I couldn't go flat out, but now I release less]
1:00 full throttle [in here I couldn't either, is it because of my line?]
1:12 drive much more over the left curb
1:16 cut more [I feel like this was where I found most time]
1:22 you can brake later

I also stopped fiddling with the brake bias and left it at -1, it helped a lot to not get oversteer between the left and right turns after the long straight.

This was the result after going at it again:

36775561_10217002383197599_1476332022304604160_o.jpg

After all, I feel that I just need to build more confidence and consistency to get into america's top 10 (my optm. time is off by about .1 sec) :D.

Update: Got 4th on the qualifying. I let the pole slip away on the last sector. The race went kinda bad, I got kinda nervous racing on the mountain section, and went slower than I could there, also made a huge mistake when I touched another car going uphill and spun out...

The results are 1300 points, could've been 2000s, but I'll take it!

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back