GT Sport Has More Than 7 Million Players According to Polyphony Digital's Latest Figures

Many people will think this is Super Formula news when they see the image :D
Wasn't this game at 3 million half a year ago? I'm surprised we have grown this much!

I believe it’s because of the FIA-GTC championships. People want to give it a shot.

I think Gran Turismo deserves to be number one. It presents driving in the most perfect way - the simulation, race system, car choices, graphics, sound & music. It is worth mentioning that it also shows driving as a thing of art, which it really is.
Perfect Simulation? Nope
Perfect Race system? Nope
Perfect Car choices? Nope
Perfect Graphics? Nope, but it is the best on console
Perfect Sound? Nope, but its better than past GT titles
Perfect Music? Nope, but in my view music is the first thing that gets switched off in a racing title

Lets try a manual standing start or player control rolling start for sports mode....I don't think people are ready :)

But I do enjoy cockpit cam in 4K HDR for offline contents.

Attachments

• IMG-20190304-WA0034.jpg
    IMG-20190304-WA0034.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 41
Simply, people choose GTS because of 3 main reasons:
1 - It is coming from a good background; GT is well trusted series and although some of the games are not very good, generally good.
2 - Online part of it is not toxic. Last year, my main online game was fifa and damn! this is the most toxic community ever! GTS community is good in overall. Although there are some dickheads, still managable.
3 - It is not perfect in any casebut in overall it is very good

I confirm, I have 4 accounts. 1000 stickers limited, it's a lot, but not for all (same as liveries).

It's interesting to see a lot of kids taking the game, same as me with the first GT... so yes, it's not a simulator, but I enjoyed GT1 and GT2 because it was the first time I heard things like "Skyline", "Supra", "Muscle cars" and many others (I was 9).

Game continue...

Perfect Simulation? Nope
Perfect Race system? Nope
Perfect Car choices? Nope
Perfect Graphics? Nope, but it is the best on console
Perfect Sound? Nope, but its better than past GT titles
Perfect Music? Nope, but in my view music is the first thing that gets switched off in a racing title

Well gran turismo sport is a good balanced racing game. They might not have the absolute best car choises yet but the quality on every car is Amazing. The graphics is amazing. Assetto corsa and project cars has worse car selection. No racing game has 100 % perfect
Car selection. Gt and Forza has beat every other racing game in that area. Everyone has their own taste on racing games and car choises. Even if gt sport is far from perfect, to me it blows project cars and assetto corsa out of water.

Well gran turismo sport is a good balanced racing game.
For some, for me its balance is biased massively to the visual side, which impacts on too many other areas of what I look for in a sim.

They might not have the absolute best car choises yet but the quality on every car is Amazing.
Visually yes, but that's not all that goes into recreating a car in a sim.

The graphics is amazing.
Indeed and if that was the only measure then GTS would win everything, but its not.

Assetto corsa and project cars has worse car selection.
I 100% disagree, particularly in regard to PC2, which has a far better car selection.

No racing game has 100 % perfect
Indeed its not, which was the point I was making in my post you have quoted.

Car selection. Gt and Forza has beat every other racing game in that area.
Forza has a much better argument for that, GTS most certainly doesn't.

Everyone has their own taste on racing games and car choises. Even if gt sport is far from perfect, to me it blows project cars and assetto corsa out of water.
In what way? Visually yes it does and by quite some margin, and if that's your main bag then no problem at all. If its in terms of the physics simulation then it certainly doesn't and by quite some margin.

Would very much prefer to know how many individual copies of the game (whether digital or hard) have been sold. Have Sony or PD got the balls to just tell it like it is, or do they want to continue to manipulate & hide behind behind vague statistics that seem to big them up on the surface, but, which don't show the full picture...

Cannot help but be reminded of this quote, "There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli.

:rolleyes:

I think Gran Turismo deserves to be number one. It presents driving in the most perfect way - the simulation, race system, car choices, graphics, sound & music.

I would say it differently. The simulation, graphics, etc. may not be the best for all, but they certainly seems right to traditional PlayStation gamers, who are used to Polyphony's style.

For me GTS was a bit of a letdown with it's online-centric philosophy, but with updates it is still closer and closer to classic Gran Turismo, and I bet many other people (they generally can't be found on this forum :D) who don't care about FIA championships & pro-oriented sims feels the same.

GT is just the right mix of easy but somewhat accurate handling and polished graphics with distinct style. What's more, it is heavily connected to car culture as a whole - many cars gained popularity through GT in fact, that is something other games can't say.

VBR
Would very much prefer to know how many individual copies of the game (whether digital or hard) have been sold.

Very true, I believe it would be much lower number without multiple accounts, reselled discs, friends and family's accounts, etc.

Last edited:
I think Gran Turismo deserves to be number one. It presents driving in the most perfect way - the simulation, race system, car choices, graphics, sound & music. It is worth mentioning that it also shows driving as a thing of art, which it really is.
Hands down :bowdown:

VBR
Would very much prefer to know how many individual copies of the game (whether digital or hard) have been sold. Have Sony or PD got the balls to just tell it like it is, or do they want to continue to manipulate & hide behind behind vague statistics that seem to big them up on the surface, but, which don't show the full picture...

Well I ended up buying GTS twice. I bought a disk copy along with the PS4, but I picked up a digital copy for around $20 in one of the many sales it's been so I could stick the disk copy away and not have to worry about inserting a disk every time I wanted to play it. I'll also bet there'll be a few others like me, and there's also those that'll buy the steelbook, day one, normal physical copy, and whatever else as they're collectors

So really total copies sold isn't going to give a true indication of how active GTS is.
Also counting up the total number players that have ever started GTS isn't going to give us a useable statistic as I'll bet there are some that played it just the once. To be honest I suspect this is where the 7 million figure comes from.

A more useful figure would be total number of those accounts that have played GTS within the last month as this would give us a good indication of the number of active players, which in my mind would be a more truthful figure. But even then you have to account for players like myself that are perfectly happy doing TTs and the occasional custom race so therefore while I'm active, I'm not online active.

There are lies, damned lies and statistics.

I’d like to know the total number of hours played across the 7 million.
One interesting thing to do is take the 7 million and then look at the total number you get to from the trophy percentages.

Things like the trophy for watching the three videos to access Sport mode, it knocks those numbers down quite significantly in terms of how people are playing GTS.

For some, for me its balance is biased massively to the visual side, which impacts on too many other areas of what I look for in a sim.

Visually yes, but that's not all that goes into recreating a car in a sim.

Indeed and if that was the only measure then GTS would win everything, but its not.

I 100% disagree, particularly in regard to PC2, which has a far better car selection.

Indeed its not, which was the point I was making in my post you have quoted.

Forza has a much better argument for that, GTS most certainly doesn't.

In what way? Visually yes it does and by quite some margin, and if that's your main bag then no problem at all. If its in terms of the physics simulation then it certainly doesn't and by quite some margin.

I was thinking of older gran turismo games that was a pretty good car selection. Gts does not have that yet but we are getting there maybe around its end. I still prefer the car selection i gts over pc and ac. Pc2 had more cars at launch than gts. But now gts have a bit more than pc2. And before its end it might have twice as Much cars as pc2.

I play most with a controller, so unless you racing with a wheel the physics of ac or pc won't matter with a controller. Both pc and ac are terrible with a controller. Gran turismo is great with a controller.

As for progression to me gts has far better than both ac or pcars. I prefer to own my cars.
And ac and pcars you can't increase Power or decrease weight to me that makes those 2 games boring in the long run. Gts dosent have a perfect upgrade system, but at least we have something, i could not live with a racing without the upgrading. That one of the reasons i was bored with both pc and ac that quickly.
Every car is more worth to me if you can Do more things to them

Last edited:
Back