GT Sport Holds Strong in PlayStation Store Sales

I couldn’t be happier with this game. Although it lacks a few features I’d like (a proper GT Mode for one..) it is almost perfect. A powerful but simple livery editor, a mindblowing photomode, excellent online racing(for the most part) and of course the inclusion of social interaction. I love it. There’s more of course, but you get my point

Agreed. Only thing I'd ask PD (Which I believe they addressed it) is to increase the track count as the track options are just abysmal at the moment. I'm managing and still having fun but a wider track selection would bring a whole 'nother world of this game alive.

What falling are you talking about? Dropping in sales is totally normal for any AAA titles. Assasin Creed Origin for example drop almost 40% in its second week. Why are you obsessed in seeing this game fail anyway, what are you going to gain from it? This game will continue to grow as long as PD adds content in the future. GT always have a long legs, hell even GT6 still on top on PSN EU charts.

Mediocre products need to fail else they will continue making mediocre products, no need to obsess about anything. It is failing already. What I gain is a superior product a proper GT next time they release one. If there is a next time. People used to say GT always had massive sells and sold 10m more or less, see how quickly that changed. GtSport won't have long legs, it has no content to sustain such sales. It is now a online only and Esports title, see how well that worked for Evolve and Street fighter.

GT6 was a good game. Released at the worst possible time but nonetheless a quality title, a proper GT title.

A drop 40% is a good result for a good title, while GTSport fell 61% in Uk and 88% in Japan going into its second sales week. Wow that really great actually for Assassins, they made a great game and sales increased from prior titles. Huh interesting quality breeds better sales, so what GTs problem.

Here's our UK week 3 article: https://www.gtplanet.net/gt-sport-forza-motorsport-7-forza-horizon-3-hold-uk-sales-charts/

That's the most recent week (week 4 will end on Saturday), and within the article we point out that GT Sport has held on to the 5th place it had in week 2. Of course it debuted in first in week 1.

If you consider 1st, 5th, 5th to be "falling like a rock sales in UK", we did indeed report it.

I'm talking about reporting its low sales compared to its predecessors. Reporting the massive sales drops of 61% and 88% , how about some in depth journalism about why GT is faltering sales wise and quality wise. Report and discuss why GTsport has the lowest by far Amazon reviews, why its near universal disdain for the title.

oh was you expecting GTS to hold onto #1 after Mario Odyssey and COD came out?

ok

Did I ever say that, Nope! so how did you come up with that hyperbole ?

So no but supposedly this is Gran Turismo, I surely like most was not expecting such low initial sales nor the massive drops after launch week (61% 88%).

Mediocre products need to fail else they will continue making mediocre products, no need to obsess about anything. It is failing already. What I gain is a superior product a proper GT next time they release one. If there is a next time. People used to say GT always had massive sells and sold 10m more or less, see how quickly that changed. GtSport won't have long legs, it has no content to sustain such sales. It is now a online only and Esports title, see how well that worked for Evolve and Street fighter.

GT6 was a good game. Released at the worst possible time but nonetheless a quality title, a proper GT title.

A drop 40% is a good result for a good title, while GTSport fell 61% in Uk and 88% in Japan going into its second sales week. Wow that really great actually for Assassins, they made a great game and sales increased from prior titles. Huh interesting quality breeds better sales, so what GTs problem.

I'm talking about reporting its low sales compared to its predecessors. Reporting the massive sales drops of 61% and 88% , how about some in depth journalism about why GT is faltering sales wise and quality wise. Report and discuss why GTsport has the lowest by far Amazon reviews, why its near universal disdain for the title.

Did I ever say that, Nope! so how did you come up with that hyperbole ?

So no but supposedly this is Gran Turismo, I surely like most was not expecting such low initial sales nor the massive drops after launch week (61% 88%).
GTSport is far from mediocore, sounds like you're just mad that it still doing great despite the negativity surrounding the game. If a game with 3 tracks and less than 100 cars can sell 5 million copies, I can't see this game with better sound, graphics, highly polished presentation, and great multiplayer mode from doing worse. I don't know what you mean by proper GT, if a game with hundreds of car with PS2 graphics, awful engine sound, boring career mode is a proper GT, I'd rather have this mediocore game.

Whether or not the game is bad, it will still sell because it's Gran Turismo.

It's already behind the lowly GT6 in Japan. 3 weeks in its 177k for GTSport in comparison to 260k for GT6.

Just as it used to be a perennial ten million seller, it selling because it Gt might be no more.

It's already behind the lowly GT6 in Japan. 3 weeks in its 177k for GTSport in comparison to 260k for GT6.

Just as it used to be a perennial ten million seller, it selling because it Gt might be no more.

Like I said in a another thread the racing market has changed, it is not the same anymore. Forza 6 for example sell worse than Forza 4. Is it also a failure? Hell, no. New generation of gamer don't have much interest in track based racing.

I hope PD updates the game periodically so that sales on the long run will become steady.

It's crazy how people are so spoiled nowadays. If you give them graphics, they will complain how "the lack of content makes it just a $20 indie title AT BEST". If you give them both, they will lambast it at how "developers are lazy" and that "games should only take 3 years to develop", like they know everything about developing games. Smh :banghead:

GTSport is far from mediocore, sounds like you're just mad that it still doing great despite the negativity surrounding the game. If a game with 3 tracks and less than 100 cars can sell 5 million copies, I can't see this game with better sound, graphics, highly polished presentation, and great multiplayer mode from doing worse. I don't know what you mean by proper GT, if a game with PS2 car graphics, awful engine sound, boring career mode is a proper GT, I'd rather have this mediocore game.

Critic reviews and amazon reviews prove its mediocre. "Sounds like" is the start to all non informative meritless counters. Doing great would be pulling GT5 numbers not struggling to match GT6. For example Uncharted 4 did great, It surpassed its predecessors.

Appreciate your agreement.

Yeah, GT6 was a quality title, despite its standard cars. But let's face it, GTS is better in every way, except content.

Without content quality matters little, Evolve was a really good game. Street fighter was also. Evolve was online only, things got so bad it become F2P. No amount of dlc or content updates helped SF5. Capcom will be releasing a FULL title SF5 arcade edition, but i doubt a pissed of fanbase will eat it up and pay for the same game twice.

Like I said in a another thread the racing market has changed, it is not the same anymore. Forza 6 for example sell worse than Forza 4. Is it also a failure? Hell, no. New generation of gamer don't have much interest in track based racing.

You can say whatever you want, prove it. The only real difference i see is the games tend to be mediocre these days with low reviews and low player satisfaction, neither GT or NFS are achieving the same quality they once had.

It's only natural Forza to sale less since becoming a yearly release, 6/8 months after release MS is already debuting a new Forza game. I understand their reasons for it, but they are not based on increasing per title sales. Or will this go totally over your head ?

I hope PD updates the game periodically so that sales on the long run will become steady.

It's crazy how people are so spoiled nowadays. If you give them graphics, they will complain how "the lack of content makes it just a $20 indie title AT BEST". If you give them both, they will lambast it at how "developers are lazy" and that "games should only take 3 years to develop", like they know everything about developing games. Smh :banghead:

Or maybe they are comparing them to all other developers and seeing that PS stinks these days. A Developer know by you all as one who over promises under delivers missed most deadlines promises features or content that never make sit into the games.

PD KAz Gt are just getting the crap they deserve, to long now have they been living of their past successes.

Critic reviews and amazon reviews prove its mediocre. "Sounds like" is the start to all non informative meritless counters. Doing great would be pulling GT5 numbers not struggling to match GT6. For example Uncharted 4 did great, It surpassed its predecessors.
Critics and amazon reviews prove absolutly nothing. The quality of the game depends on the consumer. If it's mediocre for you it's fine. For me and a lot of other people is excellent as it offers something new. I don't even know why you are spending your time for bashing a mediocre game and telling us how important critic reviews are.

The UK charts don't report sales figures. The only data we have - or anyone outside Sony has - for UK sales is it debuted in first, was fifth in week 2 and was fifth in week 3, so I don't know where you got "falling like a rock sales in UK".

A key question that should be in your head at this point is: "If regions which are reporting sales numbers record large week 2/3 drops for GT Sport, but regions that don't record that the game is still in the top ten in week 2/3, are the other games in the top ten also recording large 2/3 week drops?"

And the answer to that would be "Yes".

I dug around for some figures for an article you'll see on GTPlanet very soon. It seems that consumers are buying fewer consoles now than ten years ago. In fact they're buying about a third of the consoles now compared to ten years ago, and every year since 2007 has recorded a drop in consoles. The sales of physical games in the UK dropped by around a sixth in the last year alone, although digital sales increased (and the value of those sales more than made up the difference, thanks to the lower costs). Mobile games made an absolutely massive jump, up by more than half.

The numbers of console games sold is contracting, from somewhere between moderately and heavily. In that market, the fact that GT Sport debuted with numbers anywhere even close to any previous GT game is surprising, and the fact that, where copies sold is recorded, the numbers have shrunk since is not.

When it comes to copies sold, GT Sport is not up against GT6, or GT5. It's up against the games on the market at the same time it is on sale. It debuted in first and it has remained in the top ten for its first three weeks. How many copies it sold is almost not relevant (except for the impact it has on the budget Sony gives PD for the next game), because it can only beat or fall behind the games on sale now and if they're selling fewer copies - and generally they are - it will also sell fewer copies.

Take the music charts as an example. In 1984 Wham's Last Christmas entered the UK charts at its peak of number two. In 2017 Harry Styles' Sign of the Times went straight in at number one. But in their debut weeks, Wham outsold Harry Styles by 30:1. Wham simply didn't beat what was around it at the time, while Harry Styles did (plus digital sales helped)

As for Amazon reviews they, like other anonymous, no-purchase-needed review sites (and social media followers and likes), are just part of the modern PR machine's arsenal. Brands buy positive reviews/comments/followers/likes for their own things and they buy negative reviews/comments for their rivals' things. Generally, 10/10 and 0/X reviews are paid for (not always, but often), as are Twitter followers that outnumber the account's Tweets by 10:1 or more and Likes by 20:1 or more.

PD KAz Gt are just getting the crap they deserve, to long now have they been living of their past successes.

images

Or maybe they are comparing them to all other developers and seeing that PS stinks these days. A Developer know by you all as one who over promises under delivers missed most deadlines promises features or content that never make sit into the games.

It's been said repeatedly here that PD is understaffed (the last count I remember is 180, that may have jumped up to 200 since then). That, coupled with the fact that each car is assigned to only 1 designer and it takes 6 months to render each car, and it's clear to see the reason behind the lack of content. But no, people just ignore these "reasons" because of them being spoiled by other developers and demand content content content content, graphics detail graphics detail, and they want it now now now now now now. Plus, me being a software developer (not exactly a game developer but still working on software), I can perfectly relate on their dilemmas, because you have no idea how irritating it is to have the project delayed for over a year. For whatever reason, may it be a hardware limitation that causes workarounds or cancellation, or just not enough time to work on an overly complex part of the project.

The UK charts don't report sales figures. The only data we have - or anyone outside Sony has - for UK sales is it debuted in first, was fifth in week 2 and was fifth in week 3, so I don't know where you got "falling like a rock sales in UK".

A key question that should be in your head at this point is: "If regions which are reporting sales numbers record large week 2/3 drops for GT Sport, but regions that don't record that the game is still in the top ten in week 2/3, are the other games in the top ten also recording large 2/3 week drops?"

I dug around for some figures for an article you'll see on GTPlanet very soon. It seems that consumers are buying fewer consoles now than ten years ago. In fact they're buying about a third of the consoles now compared to ten years ago, and every year since 2007 has recorded a drop in consoles. The sales of physical games in the UK dropped by around a sixth in the last year alone, although digital sales increased (and the value of those sales more than made up the difference, thanks to the lower costs). Mobile games made an absolutely massive jump, up by more than half.

The numbers of console games sold is contracting, from somewhere between moderately and heavily. In that market, the fact that GT Sport debuted with numbers anywhere even close to any previous GT game is surprising, and the fact that, where copies sold is recorded, the numbers have shrunk since is not.

When it comes to copies sold, GT Sport is not up against GT6, or GT5. It's up against the games on the market at the same time it is on sale. It debuted in first and it has remained in the top ten for its first three weeks. How many copies it sold is almost not relevant (except for the impact it has on the budget Sony gives PD for the next game), because it can only beat or fall behind the games on sale now and if they're selling fewer copies - and generally they are - it will also sell fewer copies.

Take the music charts as an example. In 1984 Wham's Last Christmas entered the UK charts at its peak of number two. In 2017 Harry Styles' Sign of the Times went straight in at number one. But in their debut weeks, Wham outsold Harry Styles by 30:1. Wham simply didn't beat what was around it at the time, while Harry Styles did (plus digital sales helped)

As for Amazon reviews they, like other anonymous, no-purchase-needed review sites (and social media followers and likes), are just part of the modern PR machine's arsenal. Brands buy positive reviews/comments/followers/likes for their own things and they buy negative reviews/comments for their rivals' things. Generally, 10/10 and 0/X reviews are paid for (not always, but often), as are Twitter followers that outnumber the account's Tweets by 10:1 or more and Likes by 20:1 or more.

Thanks for an interjection of fact and common sense. Much appreciated.

I have played every GT since PS1 and loved them all, I have not even bought GT Sport but I have been watching people streaming their races on YT every day since launch. I know I'm going to be delightfully playing it once I get it.

That's what I was thinking. Sales wise it may not be dieing ( because people are attracted to shiny things then cry its crap after purchase ) but the franchise started dieing years ago, it's a corporate product . The gamers are not the priority. If they were then PDI would have worked on a better career mode and AI after two dismal games, but no.
I'm sorry but I feel different.
I've been praying for livery editor in GT, better matchmaking system than what was in GT6, some sort of SR/DR to be implemented, more GT3 cars and better implementation of GT classes etc. And I hadn't even hoped for FiA partnership before it was announced.
Also, I couldn't care less about GT mode. Yes it's been a part of GT forever but AI will never give you the same hand shakiness and sweat you get when racing against other people, who are aproximately as fast as you.

I guess what I'm trying to say here is I got exactly what I wanted and I'm sure I'm not one of million.

GTS has become my n°1 GT, I just want some more features to come back from GT6 like lobby qualifying and obviously tons of new content.

Critics and amazon reviews prove absolutly nothing. The quality of the game depends on the consumer. If it's mediocre for you it's fine. For me and a lot of other people is excellent as it offers something new. I don't even know why you are spending your time for bashing a mediocre game and telling us how important critic reviews are.

What they prove is what the mass market feels about the game and the opinion or feeling is lower than all previous GT titles.. Me and you are drops in the ocean. How is using facts bashing it ?

GTs is the lowest reviewed GT game eve.
Has the lowest amazon review out GT5 GT6 GTS.
It's also the slowest selling GT ever at Japanese retail, you know Japan the second largest market in the world for Gran Turismo.

That's reality no matter how much you wish and argue otherwise.

And some people can't handle facts.

Self-Efficacy-300x295.jpg

Interesting how main page of GTplanet does not report GTsports falling like a rock sales in Uk and Japan markets but champions this.

What positives nice box art and UI ? functioning online is not a positive feature these days it's a base expectation, and none expect it at the cost of everything else.

Kaz's days are numbered given the implications his fumbles have on Worldwide studios as a whole.

yC3yHYwuzyKA3845w6t21s0uWNNsYdLjgIgpsKnDpLRR-yfk5qKr5-6-1pCfJTS08CqQNC1izA=w300-h232-nc

What they prove is what the mass market feels about the game and the opinion or feeling is lower than all previous GT titles.. Me and you are drops in the ocean. How is using facts bashing it ?

It's also the slowest selling GT ever at Japanese retail, you know Japan the second largest market in the world for Gran Turismo.

And some people can't handle facts.

Self-Efficacy-300x295.jpg
No they don't prove anything they are telling
thair opinion there is a big Difference for example lets say Sebastian loeb rally evo took a 6 because pepole say milestone games are bad but i tried the game & it was wonderfull for me does this mean the critic or i was wrong ?.No it means every one has different tastes.

We have a comparable game here in League of Legends. It has a Metacritic rating of just 75%. It got lots of haters and a user score rating of 5,5% even lower then Gran Turismo Sport and it's free. So is it a failure? In your eyes it has to be , but it's one of the most succesful games of this planet.
Gran Turismo Sport has headed into a new future and it's esport. If you like it play it, if you don't play Forza Motorsport 7. It's the game which should satisfy most people who like the old Gran Turismo and it has gorgeous graphics.
Just don't try to tell us that Gran Turismo Sport is a failure. Because it's not, it's the right step into the future of gaming.

Last edited:

Uk is doing slightly less worse , but Japan dropped 88% so answer me this. Isn't that falling like a rock?

Yes Wii 360 PS3 combined, yes 8th compared to 7th gen contracted yet also normalized in comparison to 6th and 5th gen. Wii was a phenom.

Yet that is entirely Irrelevant what so ever when discussing a Playstation Exclusive.

Only console sales here that matter are Playstations, and they have not contracted, they have grown. So your console contracting or game sales contracting is without any merit at all as far as GTS sales go.

Do you not know PS4 is outpacing PS2 shipments ?

Your entire reasoning/argument is false, plain wrong.

Once again overall you aren't wrong, you are just Plain wrong on Playstation.

PS4s attach rate (games sold per console) is actually higher then the PS2s at same points in market life time, So PS4 is selling more games then you know the console where GT3 and GT4 cold a combined 26,650,000n copies.

So as far as GTS sales go your reasoning and deduction is just wrong.

FYi GTS released on a much larger user base then GT5. Some time early 2018, PS4 sales will surpass PS3s Lifetime sales.

All games are up against their predecessors that's how they are judged, how their success or failure is decided.

"How many copies it sold is almost not relevant "

Being honest I am struggling to take you seriously after a comment like that. Specifically Explain that statement further.

Except they aren't selling fewer copies, once again wrong.

Uncharted 4 broke all Uncharted's sales records. https://www.forbes.com/sites/insert...evable-amount-of-copies-in-2016/#675229586850
Fallout 4 become the highest selling game in Bethesda (publishers) history.
Latest Assassins just doubles the sales of the previous one (Syndicate) https://www.darkhorizons.com/assassins-creed-origins-doubles-early-sales/
Latest COD doubles the sales of last years COD http://fortune.com/2017/11/08/call-of-duty-ww2-sales/

Facts are facts it's the lowest reviewed GT ever. I'm not comparing amazon reviews to some other sites, i'm comparing amazon review to amazon. I can also compare IGN reviews for GTS to GT6 GT5 and they are lower. All the dirt shenanigans and BS, previous GTs faced also. Unless the Forza guys are especially spiteful lols just kidding lol.

CLIFFS
PS4 is out pacing PS2
PS4 attach ratio is higher then PS2.

Analyst Daniel Ahmad confirms the rate as 7.51 games per console, which is higher than both the PlayStation 2 and Wii at the same point in their life cycle.

Read more: http://metro.co.uk/2017/01/24/ps4-h...ch-rate-than-ps2-and-wii-6402140/?ito=cbshare

http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2017/02/ps4_smashes_ps2s_historic_shipment_record_by_some_margin

zYlc.png

If you need help with facts about the market for your article pm me.

Last edited:
Uk is doing slightly less worse , but Japan dropped 88% so answer me this. Isn't that falling like a rock?

Yes Wii 360 PS3 combined, yes 8th compared to 7th gen contracted yet also normalized in comparison to 6th and 5th gen. Wii was a phenom.

Yet that is entirely Irrelevant what so ever when discussing a Playstation Exclusive.

Only console sales here that matter are Playstations, and they have not contracted, they have grown. So your console contracting or game sales contracting is without any merit at all as far as GTS sales go.

Do you not know PS4 is outpacing PS2 shipments ?

Your entire reasoning/argument is false, plain wrong.

Once again overall you aren't wrong, you are just Plain wrong on Playstation.

PS4s attach rate (games sold per console) is actually higher then the PS2s at same points in market life time, So PS4 is selling more games then you know the console where GT3 and GT4 cold a combined 26,650,000n copies.

So as far as GTS sales go your reasoning and deduction is just wrong.

FYi GTS released on a much larger user base then GT5. Some time early 2018, PS4 sales will surpass PS3s Lifetime sales.

All games are up against their predecessors that's how they are judged, how their success or failure is decided.

Being honest I am struggling to take you seriously after a comment like that. Specifically Explain that statement further.

Except they aren't selling fewer copies, once again wrong.

Uncharted 4 broke all Uncharted's sales records. https://www.forbes.com/sites/insert...evable-amount-of-copies-in-2016/#675229586850
Fallout 4 become the highest selling game in Bethesda (publishers) history.
Latest Assassins just doubles the sales of the previous one (Syndicate) https://www.darkhorizons.com/assassins-creed-origins-doubles-early-sales/
Latest COD doubles the sales of last years COD http://fortune.com/2017/11/08/call-of-duty-ww2-sales/

Facts are facts it's the lowest reviewed GT ever. I'm not comparing amazon reviews to some other sites, i'm comparing amazon review to amazon. I can also compare IGN reviews for GTS to GT6 GT5 and they are lower. All the dirt shenanigans and BS, previous GTs faced also. Unless the Forza guys are especially spiteful lols just kidding lol.

CLIFFS
PS4 is out pacing PS2
PS4 attach ratio is higher then PS2.

Analyst Daniel Ahmad confirms the rate as 7.51 games per console, which is higher than both the PlayStation 2 and Wii at the same point in their life cycle.

Read more: http://metro.co.uk/2017/01/24/ps4-h...ch-rate-than-ps2-and-wii-6402140/?ito=cbshare

http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2017/02/ps4_smashes_ps2s_historic_shipment_record_by_some_margin

zYlc.png

You haven't figured it out yet? Those Amazon reviews was just mad at kaz and PD gt and didn't want nobody to buy the game from them. It nothing to do with the statistics you got.

We have a comparable game here in League of Legends. It has a Metacritic rating of just 75%. It got lots of haters and a user score rating of 5,5% even lower then Gran Turismo Sport and it's free. So is it a failure? In your eyes it has to be , but it's one of the most succesful games of this planet.
Gran Turismo Sport has headed into a new future and it's esport. If you like it play it, if you don't play Forza Motorsport 7. It's the game which should satisfy most people who like the old Gran Turismo and it has gorgeous graphics.
Just don't try to tell us that Gran Turismo Sport is a failure. Because it's not, it's the right step into the future of gaming.
First week sales UK are 73,688 which is above GT6 but below GT5P opening weeks. The 2nd and 3rd week sales are approximately 29,000 and 26,000. Doesn't look too good but doesn't look too bad either.

First week Japanese sales are 150,286 that is below GT6. 2nd and 3rd week sales 17,670 and 9,045. Tanking. Badly.

It is not confirmed as a failure yet - there isn't enough data for that, but no way can anyone say it is a success either.

Not really, as you seem to be gibbering about largely irrelevant stuff.

Possibly to deflect from the fact that I destroyed your claim that we're not covering the UK's "falling like a rock sales" by linking you to our article about GT Sport's third week UK sales, which references the second week sales.

Last edited:
First week sales UK are 73,688 which is above GT6 but below GT5P opening weeks. The 2nd and 3rd week sales are approximately 29,000 and 26,000. Doesn't look too good but doesn't look too bad either.

First week Japanese sales are 150,286 that is below GT6. 2nd and 3rd week sales 17,670 and 9,045. Tanking. Badly.

It is not confirmed as a failure yet - there isn't enough data for that, but no way can anyone say it is a success either.
Success is not measured by sales alone. I bought Playstation Plus just for this game and I know a lot of people who did that as well. I played GT6 maybe just for a week but I will be playing GTS for a long time and I am going to pay Sony for that. That's how this business works. League of Legends is free, yet it generates lots of profit.

Latest Posts

Back