GT Sport Livery Editor Thread

• Thread starter Snaeper
  • 3,669 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll probably get flamed for this... being that there's finally a Livery Editor.. BUT.. I personally think it would be so cool to see the "Racing Modification" Feature from GT2 return. I know it was back in GT6, but it was only for a very small number of cars I believe.. I honestly think it would be cool how it was in GT2 that almost.. and i mean, ALMOST every car could be modified .. But again, I'm probably alone on this...

Screenshot_2016-05-27-11-43-10.png

I'll probably get flamed for this... being that there's finally a Livery Editor.. BUT.. I personally think it would be so cool to see the "Racing Modification" Feature from GT2 return. I know it was back in GT6, but it was only for a very small number of cars I believe.. I honestly think it would be cool how it was in GT2 that almost.. and i mean, ALMOST every car could be modified .. But again, I'm probably alone on this...

View attachment 550255

Oh, you're not alone. The thing is, back in the PS1 days, a car was made from less than 1000 polygons, and a member of PD's staff could knock one out in a day. A Racing Mod tended to have modified body panels, but again, only a day's work.

With the modern games, it can take up to six months to craft a car from the ground up. While an RM could then use most of the completed road car as the basis, it'd still need a lot of work. It'd take colossal amounts of time just to construct enough RM's for half of GT6's Premiums!

It does look like PD has returned to the idea of LM-style cars with GTS, though. And if the Livery Editor is powerful enough, we can more or less recreate the old RM's. That's my plan, anyway.

Oh, you're not alone. The thing is, back in the PS1 days, a car was made from less than 1000 polygons, and a member of PD's staff could knock one out in a day. A Racing Mod tended to have modified body panels, but again, only a day's work.

With the modern games, it can take up to six months to craft a car from the ground up. While an RM could then use most of the completed road car as the basis, it'd still need a lot of work. It'd take colossal amounts of time just to construct enough RM's for half of GT6's Premiums!

It does look like PD has returned to the idea of LM-style cars with GTS, though. And if the Livery Editor is powerful enough, we can more or less recreate the old RM's. That's my plan, anyway.

it was more or less wishful thinking on a nostalgic level.. I've been playing GT2 for the past few weeks (Starting from scratch) and I just thought it would be cool to see this feature.. but like you stated.. the work would be astronomical.. but with the Livery Editor I think it makes up for it big time hahah.. I just loved how it was cool to pick almost any car and then modify it ..

View attachment 550255
Hey about that. It would be excellent to recreate those liveries though :D

Are any of you guys/gals well versed in designing liveries ? I won't ask for tuition at all, as I'm not going to assume that i could take up your free time with no return, that'd be foolish of me.

But do you know of any links that might have a lot of references on what to/not to do when thinking out a livery ? Or is it all totally subjective in your mind ?

Only because, if it DOES indeed turn out that we can draw up all of our own stuff, i presume in Photoshop etc ( i use Adobe products for work, so don't need links for those kinds of tutorials, more looking at things from a design point of view, rather than tools for the job ) I am completely beside myself with excitement :drool:

I'd say when it comes to thinking out a livery, its mostly subjective. Its what you can think of and what you want to do with that idea. Its pretty much how I always produced the cars I have (also using photoshop ;) ).

They have been implementing LM style cars back since the first DLC of GT5. Those touring cars on said DLC looks like it'll be the new RM cars. But then PD realized just how thorough those cars are to work and thus release it straight into dealership rather than being hidden in GTAuto menu on some cars.

More apparent on GT6 where all RM cars released as a buyable Touring Cars on dealership. Will most likely be like that in GTS.

I'd say when it comes to thinking out a livery, its mostly subjective. Its what you can think of and what you want to do with that idea
This ^ 👍 It is mostly subjective, and that's the beauty of it.

Heck, the designs don't even have to make sense to anybody but yourself. For example, here's a couple that I did back in the days of Forza 3:

Did this just because I loved that particular car on that particular track (Positano).

This was inspired by a 1980's Yamaha race bike. Who cares if it's been transplanted onto a Honda. :lol:

Porsche on a Porsche?.. Why not? :lol:

What about no livery at all?

Or even just a shopping list?

You could even just change the base colour of one of your favourites.

Or you could just accurately recreate real world liveries.

Or if you're feeling really ambitious, why not try recreate a portrait of one of your favourite race drivers?

^ Was quite a fan of Natacha Gachnang, at the time. Never did manage to finish her portrait, as my 360 died.

If the livery editor is as freely usable as PD claim it to be, hopefully that comes with the ability to have the car's colors in any colors we want it to be and not be limited by paint chips of other cars available in the game that have been purchased.

Here's confirmation that you can create your own stickers: (around 5:00 min)

But this is Kaz speaking so we shouldn't trust this completely until there's actual footage of it in the final game.

This is a great video, but it does not hear speaking Kaz.
''Two patterns, prepared library, make the library itself by yourself.''
He answered in Japanese.

Sorry, my English is terrible.

This is a great video, but it does not hear speaking Kaz.
''Two patterns, prepared library, make the library itself by yourself.''
He answered in Japanese.

Sorry, my English is terrible.

👍
Hmm. I wonder whether Kaz means there's two base patterns to choose from, and a pre-prepared library of decals for the user to apply as they wish, over the transformable (distort/realign etc etc) base patterns.

That sounds a bit limited, but I'd still welcome it over having nothing.

hopefully that comes with the ability to have the car's colors in any colors we want it to be
Definitely. Liveries are done a lot in discreet primary and secondary colors: red, red-orange, yellow-green, blue-violet, etc. The paint chips are nice and all, and offer us some official car colors, but we need discreet art colors to make liveries with. So many of those are missing from the paint chip list.

👍
Hmm. I wonder whether Kaz means there's two base patterns to choose from, and a pre-prepared library of decals for the user to apply as they wish, over the transformable (distort/realign etc etc) base patterns.

PD always went by baby steps on this matter, at least we'll be able to tell one car from another.
How many will slap a gulf livery on every ruf they'll see?:lol:

👍

It is difficult to pass through the translation:)

Pre-prepared library, I think use a decal of the car.
This was on the trailer.

Another of the library, I do not know only says Kaz.
Maybe, it is difficult to make.

It is difficult to pass through the translation:)

Pre-prepared library, I think use a decal of the car.
This was on the trailer.

Another of the library, I do not know only says Kaz.
Maybe, it is difficult to make.
Okay. 👍 So maybe two separate libraries.

I guess we'll find out closer to the time of release, of the game.

As long as we get basic shapes, I'm honestly straight. I might not be able to make some of the Shutokou Battle series liveries, but I'll be able to create plenty of race type liveries.

You'd be surprised the masterpieces you can make with just shapes. Shoot, I created a decent livery on NFS Shift using just squares, triangles, and some rhombuses.

I'm hoping and praying GT7 will have some good exterior, interior, and mechanical customization. I'll be able to actually make my own versions of GT cars woth regular old cars and add some good looking liveries. ahhh... Add a little GT1 and GT2 music in the background... Perfect.

Lol wishful thinking I know. :P

For those who think something might be lost in translation, Translator-san is a professional translator who Kaz relies on to express just exactly what he means. Kaz does speak English, and when T-san said "weeks" instead of "months" at one point in the Q & A, Kaz corrected him in English. So I would say that there is no confusion over user made decals. We just have to hope Kaz gives us the Livery Editor he's promoting here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back