GT Sport to not feature single player 'career' events/races?

• Thread starter Samus
  • 637 comments

How would you feel if there was no traditional single player 'career' in GT Sport?

• Not happy and I won't buy a GT game without one

Votes: 199 43.7%
  • Not happy but i'll still buy a GT game without one

Votes: 181 39.8%
  • I don't mind, if one is there I'll play it but prefer online

Votes: 50 11.0%
  • I don't care at all, I don't want/need a single player career, will play online

Votes: 25 5.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
One of my complaints in GT6 was its half-assed arcade mode. PD could take options that were already in the game and make them all available in arcade mode, in that way we could setup proper races offline and the game would have infinite replay value for those of us who enjoy doing proper races offline.
For GTS I want the same thing, include all the options necessary to setup proper races against AI in arcade mode. Implementing a good online mode is important but having online play isn't a excuse for having a poor offline mode or not having it at all.

FS7
One of my complaints in GT6 was its half-assed arcade mode. PD could take options that were already in the game and make them all available in arcade mode, in that way we could setup proper races offline and the game would have infinite replay value for those of us who enjoy doing proper races offline.
For GTS I want the same thing, include all the options necessary to setup proper races against AI in arcade mode. Implementing a good online mode is important but having online play isn't a excuse for having a poor offline mode or not having it at all.
I agree I want race weekends like project cars has and the ability to make your own series of races.

I implied you have to post equally good and bad, positive and negative? No bro. I'd be the first to be charged guilty since I'm mostly on the positivity side. I'm pretty sure I said that I don't care if people point out mostly negatives. That's their right. If I can be called out for being mostly positive and overlooking missing features (like career), then so too can I call out those being mostly or even somewhat negative. I'm in no way saying people can't be disappointed. But I call em how I see em. You just did the same :D
You did say you don't care about people talking about the negatives, but then go right around to say that you don't see the same people posting as many positive things. That would lead people to think you're implying that a negative can only be said with a positive.

Either way, this is not "an excuse" in anyway, its a discussion on aspects of the game that people have problems with. It's a bit troubling that all you're doing is lobbying and clumping all this valid criticism into one pile, and trying to imply that others are just trying to find something to be negative about for no good reason. There's plenty of reason here.

Based on the latest Q&A it seems PD has concluded the traditional career mode is a relic which has no place in modern racers

So thats why it has shrunk over the last few games until eventually disappearing in GTS.

Unfortunately it looks like cars will still be locked behind a paywall. Instead of grinding races to earn the credits to buy them you'll be grinding time trials it seems.

btw GTS is looking more and more like an 'always online' type game that is pretty pointless to buy if you arent interested in racing online 99% of the time.

I implied you have to post equally good and bad, positive and negative? No bro.

"I don't see yall with nearly as many posts on the pluses of the game" can be read that way. Why does it matter what balance there is?

I'm pretty sure I said that I don't care if people point out mostly negatives.

You did say that. You also spend the majority of your posts complaining about people being "negative". Actions speak louder than words.

If I can be called out for being mostly positive and overlooking missing features (like career), then so too can I call out those being mostly or even somewhat negative.

You're not being "called out" for being positive. You're being "called out" for continually taking issue with people being remotely critical, no matter how many times you want to proclaim you don't care. That you consider this thread, about a feature that's been integral to every GT game that's come before, an "excuse", says it all, really.

Personally I never liked the grind to earn cars (and the right to drive em).

Eh, that's why I like FM6's approach with Arcade Mode/Free Run. Every car is available, but if we want to tune them, we need to buy them. I'd be fine with a similar approach in the next full-iteration GT game, really. Covers most of the bases.

Ok I'm out. In memoriam of the Gran Turismo PS1-PS2.
Pretty clear to me that marketing the GT franchise is priority nr. 1 nowadays.
Using the old formula we all loved just isn't going to be noticed as much in mainstream publicity (so not just the gaming press) as the academy, vision GT's or FIA championships. These kind of things probably generate more money to Sony than selling twice the copies.

This seems a more likely reason for the direction the game has taken, than simply the figure of Kaz having delusional thoughts or grandeur. IMO people buying into this all are just unwillingly helping this exercise, wondering in the meantime how come so many features they like get shafted all the time.

If PD would just give us a comprehensive Event Maker that works offline as well as on, I wouldn't need a PD staged GT Mode. Alas, I must run, but I look forward to more spirited debate in 12 hours. :P
It's not often I get to agree with you so Im taking this opportunity to do so.

The chance to set up a full calender with qualifying etc would be a great addition.

Eh, that's why I like FM6's approach with Arcade Mode/Free Run. Every car is available, but if we want to tune them, we need to buy them. I'd be fine with a similar approach in the next full-iteration GT game, really. Covers most of the bases.

Free run and arcade could be so much more in Forza though. They don't allow you to select the AI cars which is frustrating.

It's all there to play with but T10 are lacking in this department. A couple of customisable options would really elevate the single player mode.

Edit sorry for double posting guys.

Last edited by a moderator:
What are these 'goodies' purposely held back that we didn't know about? What are the substantial features patched in? The only thing I can think of is Course Maker for GT6 which was neither held back or not known before being added.
Samus, my man, I'm speaking of news of the upcoming game. I know that with GT4, we knew most of the details of the game at E3 2004, but we did learn a few more tidbits at TGS as well. With GT5, there was a steady drip of info up to the game's release. Some of it caused some kerfuffle like the full details on the Standard cars, but there were nice surprises as well. We didn't know about used cars until a month before GT5 was released. Standards yes, but I loved them. As others have stated I'm expecting details to drip out a bit at a time up to a month before Sport is released.

VXR
Going further, using the decal editor to create number boards for your custom racing championship and creating the livery for your safety car.
Woah, now this guy is a thinker. That hadn't occurred to me, but it stands to reason that if you want to create your own racing leagues, having your own pace/safety car goes hand in hand with that.

I still insist though that if you want something, ask for it, and a polite to desperate tone works a lot better than "If this isn't in GT Sport, I'm going to fly to Japan and eat all of Kaz's shoes!" All sorts of things were added to GT6, so keep asking. I can imagine most of our requests will be reserved for GT7, but with the focus on sports in... well, Sport, I don't think asking for an Event Maker is all that askew from the concept, or many other things.

The chance to set up a full calender with qualifying etc would be a great addition.
Quoted for emphasis. I have a pretty okay idea on occasion. ;) And this is definitely one of them, many others have proposed the same thing with lots of variations. But this, providing an Event Maker so full featured that it can be used online as a League Builder tool, and offline to making an entire racing season with championships, would make GT Sport playable for as long as anyone wanted to stick with it.

Last edited:
This subject was slightly touched upon in the press conference. From Alan's video at 7:45, the journalist harps on a bit about the joy of starting out with old/rubbish cars, then goes on to say:

Which is somewhat amusing, because last time I checked GT1 was probably the shortest of the non-prologue GT games.

They've only got bigger and slower as time went on, although GT6 was definitely a step in the right direction and it's arguable which is the biggest and slowest of GT4 and GT5. GT4 is bigger, but GT5 is grindy as all get out.

It's nice that he recognises that there are issues with the historical design of the game, but it's unfortunate that he's lumping all the older GT games in together. I think that's a mistake.

Basically I think it's funny to see so many posts, topics and the same users point out negatives on the game. So I said I don't see near as many of them post positives. There's nothing more to it. I'm half-heartedly saying- Where's the love? ;)

I get it if you guys don't understand my post. But maybe you would if you listen to the Styles P song. Maybe not. Gotta have a taste for rap music. I'm fully aware that it's easier and much more popular to point out faults. You get more 'likes' and upvotes for that. That's fine. From the event it left a lot to be desired, but a lot of satisfaction. The internet is such a serious place sometimes people miss the humor. Maybe my sense of humor fails... either way, career mode or not, it doesn't affect my decision.

Wait, so career is online only?

I really hope they do something to help with aggressive drivers or getting through the campaign is going to get very frustrating.

I don't understand why this game wouldn't have a single player career.

Well, maybe they could implement something like iRacing has with the license system... maybe something like the SR system?

Basically I think it's funny to see so many posts, topics and the same users point out negatives on the game. So I said I don't see near as many of them post positives. There's nothing more to it. I'm half-heartedly saying- Where's the love? ;)
I think most people who post care to a certain degree.
However it's not like we haven't been down the same road many times with PD and people fear/expect the same outcomes time and time again.

It's odd that you would go to threads specifically discussing the downsides of an aspect of the game, and then wonder why people are discussing the downsides of an aspect of the game. That's like me going to a restaurant dedicated to Chinese food, and being bothered that all they have is Chinese food.

I get it if you guys don't understand my post. I'm fully aware that it's easier and much more popular to point out faults
You get more 'likes' and upvotes for that.
I understand your post just fine. It's the way you're labeling people that is the problem. The fact that you think it's being done because its the cool thing to do. Such a ridiculous view point.

Ok, so judging from this news, there's no traditional GT campaign mode as such with things like Sunday Cup, NA Challenge, Lamborghini shootout etc? These 117 offline events seem to be nothing but tutorials. Disappointing, I must say. The way it was presented initially, these 117 offline events seemed significant. Well, I guess I shouldn't be too surprised when it comes to PD. They've been letting fans down ever since GT moved to the PS3.....

Ok, so judging from this news, there's no traditional GT campaign mode as such with things like Sunday Cup, NA Challenge, Lamborghini shootout etc? These 117 offline events seem to be nothing but tutorials. Disappointing, I must say. The way it was presented initially, these 117 offline events seemed significant. Well, I guess I shouldn't be too surprised when it comes to PD. They've been letting fans down ever since GT moved to the PS3.....
For now, that's what it seems to be pointing at. The waiting game is one we're all playing right now, though.

With GT5, there was a steady drip of info up to the game's release. Some of it caused some kerfuffle like the full details on the Standard cars, but there were nice surprises as well.

Such as? I'm looking for actual examples here.

It's odd that you would go to threads specifically discussing the downsides of an aspect of the game, and then wonder why people are discussing the downsides of an aspect of the game. That's like me going to a restaurant dedicated to Chinese food, and being bothered that all they have is Chinese food.
Odd, why? This thread talks about a career mode or lack of and your thoughts on it towards a purchase. Plus a poll. Im giving my thoughts and I voted. You said "thread's" in plural. That's not the case. I don't go to specific threads designed to talk about the shortcomings of gt or pcars or forza or any other game. I post mainly in the general discussion thread. And now here, giving my take on the topic.

I understand your post just fine. It's the way you're labeling people that is the problem. The fact that you think it's being done because its the cool thing to do. Such a ridiculous view point.
What label is that? My opinion that this thread was set up with a negative slant? That's not a label. Saying some or a lot or most people find more negatives than positives? That too is not a label. I'm entitled to my opinion just as anyone else. I just said I'm not complaining if people find more negatives. Just noting that this thread seems that way. Kinda sad when we have inconclusive info on a career mode. Maybe Samus will change the title if we do get career mode.

Last edited:
Odd, why? This thread talks about a career mode or lack of and your thoughts on it. Plus a poll. Im giving my thoughts and I voted. You said "thread's" in plural. That's not the case. I don't go to specific threads designed to talk about the shortcomings of gt or pcars or forza or any other game. I post mainly in the general discussion thread. And now here, giving my take on the topic.
Except that what we're talking about has nothing to do with the actual discussion of the thread. You specifically targeted the people making the points, not the points they're making.

What label is that? My opinion that this thread was set up as another negative? That's not a label. Saying some or a lot or most people find more negatives than positives is not a label. I'm entitled to my opinion just as anyone else. I just said I'm not complaining. Just noting that this thread seems that way. Kinda sad when we have inconclusive info on a career mode.
While you didn't out right say it, you're basically alluding to people complaining only doing it to try to be the "Cool kids"
I'm fully aware that it's easier and much more popular to point out faults. You get more 'likes' and upvotes for that.

No one is saying you're not entitled to an opinion, more so that its just absolutely ridiculous to view opposing opinions like that. It should be fairly obvious that the thread seems that way, because the thread was made to discuss the downside of the career mode from what they have shown us.

What I'm seeing, is that you cant distinguish being critical from being negative. They do not go hand in hand all the time, although they can. Those being critical are doing it out of love for what the franchise used to be, or fond memories of the past and how they aren't liking the way its headed. Being negative would be just saying "this game is crap" with out any descriptive information, or explanation why you feel that.

Are we looking at the possibility of a GT game with absolutely no AI at all? Seems to be.

Are we looking at the possibility of a GT game with absolutely no AI at all? Seems to be.
Well from these single player training missions, if they are to teach proper racing etiquette, there should atleast be some form of AI I think.

Except that what we're talking about has nothing to do with the actual discussion of the thread. You specifically targeted the people making the points, not the points they're making.
You must have missed what I said earlier. In my original post I said it's easy to see the negatives. "There's a lot left to be desired..." (from the gtsport event) you skip that part?

While you didn't out right say it, you're basically alluding to people complaining only doing it to try to be the "Cool kids"
So you got that out of my post? Nice. I don't care if you're cool by posting negatives. I notice it's abundance even though the thread could be premature in assuming there's no career. Even the title could change the wording to something like "Will or won't GTSport have a career mode?" then take a poll on what it means to have one in the game. This could also go towards answering your first statement above.

No one is saying you're not entitled to an opinion, more so that its just absolutely ridiculous to view opposing opinions like that. It should be fairly obvious that the thread seems that way, because the thread was made to discuss the downside of the career mode from what they have shown us.
Whats ridiculous is you accusing me of labelling. In general it's much easier to find fault in something than to find positives. That's core all over, not just here. I said as much before but you ignored it. I came here in this thread to see if career mode was featured or not. So I gave my two cents on it. You don't agree with how I view how this thread opened and turned out? Cool. There's no rule that says you can't disagree with someone's opinion. And there's nothing that says you can't disagree with how the op is presented without concrete evidence on the point. So if it's not confirmed that career mode is gone, what's up with (what I perceive) the op's slant?

Such as? I'm looking for actual examples here.
Coursemaker? Day / night and weather? It was a long while ago.

Those are features, by the way, but they also came with content so they'd actually work. It might not be on a par with whatever it is any given person might think the new game either currently is or eventually will be missing, though.

The point is we may be surprised yet and there's little point going off half-cocked. I'm not expecting anything, but that doesn't mean I'm going to pretend I know it's the case already.

You must have missed what I said earlier. In my original post I said it's easy to see the negatives. "There's a lot left to be desired..." (from the gtsport event) you skip that part
I did, because I dont mind your opinion on the game. I'm singling out your other point, the ridiculous one of you singling out and labelling people in such a way.

You must have missed what I said earlier. In my original post I said it's easy to see the negatives. "There's a lot left to be desired..." (from the gtsport event) you skip that part?

So you got that out of my post? Nice. I don't care if you're cool by posting negatives. I notice it's abundance even though the thread could be premature in assuming there's no career. Even the title could change the wording to something like "Will or won't GTSport have a career mode?" then take a poll on what it means to have one in the game. This could also go towards answering your first statement above.

Whats ridiculous is you accusing me of labelling. In general it's much easier to find fault in something than to find positives. That's core all over, not just here. I said as much before but you ignored it. I came here in this thread to see if career mode was featured or not. So I gave my two cents on it. You don't agree with how I view how this thread opened and turned out? Cool. There's no rule that says you can't disagree with someone's opinion. And there's nothing that says you can't disagree with how the op is presented without concrete evidence on the point. So if it's not confirmed that career mode is gone, what's up with (what I perceive) the op's slant?
The title is 'slanted' the way it is because of the evidence i have then presented in the OP. To simply ask if there will or won't be one would suggest we currently have nothing to go on either way, when we do. I have presented the evidence that points towards it not being present then asked what people make of that. I have not factually stated it to be the case.

You say you disagree with how the OP is presented but don't state why. Is there a factual errors? Do you believe I have misinterpreted something? Help me out here, where have I gone wrong in my assessment? Because all I've seen so far in this thread from others is along the lines of "wait and see" which is fair enough, it doesn't however refute the evidence against it given in the op. You however seem to have an issue with it.

Back