GT Sport to not feature single player 'career' events/races?

• Thread starter Samus
  • 637 comments

How would you feel if there was no traditional single player 'career' in GT Sport?

• Not happy and I won't buy a GT game without one

Votes: 199 43.7%
  • Not happy but i'll still buy a GT game without one

Votes: 181 39.8%
  • I don't mind, if one is there I'll play it but prefer online

Votes: 50 11.0%
  • I don't care at all, I don't want/need a single player career, will play online

Votes: 25 5.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
GT5 Prologue had several features added, including a new track and double the small car count in two massive Spec updates.
Cars and tracks are content not features.
GT6 went much the same way, with the Ayrton Senna tribute events patched in, the Vision GT cars patched in, the immense Zahara location patched in, and Course Maker II patched in, among dozens of other elements.
Zahara is content, not a feature. Vision GT cars weren't "patched in", the program was announced months before release and the cars were DLC. CM and Senna were late announcements but I think most of us agree their execution left a lot to be desired. The Senna content in particular was a huge opportunity that ultimately ended up being a video and a couple of TT's.

If you guys really want no Standard content in any way, shape or form, then those cars and tracks are going to need to be remodeled, and that takes time. Time which will delay GT7, so GT Sport is going to be our ride for the foreseeable future. I have no doubt that we'll be enjoying the very same feature creep which all the GT games have had over the years. Which if we ask nicely, could include things like Course Maker's return as well as an Event Maker, which will allow us to create our own leagues and clubs, and create our own championships offline, perhaps even whole racing seasons.
Standard cars and tracks don't need to be remodeled at all, they can choose to spend their resources modeling new cars and tracks instead or a mix of new and old. It's not a reason to hold up a new game in any way, shape or form. They've had more than 2 years to work on content, it's not like they started yesterday. Any work done for GTSport can also be incorporated into GT7 as well.

Well, Mr Penso. So are you saying you want nothing at all from previous Gran Turismos? You didn't care at all that Midfield was reintroduced to GT6? You don't want to see Seattle return? You don't want any cars made prior to 2014? Well, that's you. I doubt your position would sit well with most of the community either. All I need mention is MkIV Supra, and you should recall all the grousing over it being a Standard, while the MkIII was a Premium.

By the way, I can tell the difference between content and features, but they tend to both be greatly desired, so I mentioned both. I also wish for Sport to grow, and that growth involves both. You really are excessively picky for some weird reason...

I love how you guys keep asking... "Why would you expect a full experience?"

Let's take a step back and look at the facts:
  • It's being promoted by the lead dev as reflecting a full Gran Turismo iteration.
  • It's being sold at the same price of all the other GT games at $60.
  • It's the first GT game in three years and could be the only GT game on PS4 for years to come.
  • They showed off slides at their media event that implied a offline career but were not clearly upfront with the details until someone took a closer look.
  • A focus on ESports or this being a FIA focused game does not mean it's incapable of an offline career(Hell even Forza's NASCAR expansion has an offline career.).

Now please stop asking why anyone would presume there would be an offline career in a $60 Gran Turismo game.

All of your dot points are assumptions, not facts.
Except the price.
You've even used words like "implied"

Show me the 100% confirmed announcements backing up your assumptions and I'll change my opinion.

I am not that bothered with the lack of career tbh. Career mode since GT5 has been lackluster, cookie cutter races with AI as rolling roadblocks. They just serve to spread out the grind to collect cars, and doesn't really offer any challenge or enjoyment. It looks like all cars will be available from the start in GTS, so that's the grinding out of the way. The Mission Races in GTS will hopefully be challenging. I'll use arcade mode if I want to set up an offline race. And race online if I want proper racing instead of playing catch the rabbit.

The next GT game (whether they call it 7 or 8, who knows?) will undoubtedly see the return of career mode, so it's not like it's gone forever either.

Good question. In my opinion, they want GT to be a service, like iRacing — but more appropriately, Counter Strike, Destiny or something of that nature.

Which is ironic, considering the usual outcry when people mention iRacing. ;)

Then again, the problem with games as a service is that:
a. The service has to be consistently exceptional or the customer leaves.
b. The service has to keep offering new content/features in order to keep customers engaged.

If GTS is going to be mainly online, then it needs to offer top quality online. Historically, that hasn't been the case, and judging from their presentations they still don't have it working even in closed, controlled circumstances.

There's a reason why iRacing gets away with charging an arm and a leg, the service is by far the best available.

As a spin off, they'd have been better off removing credits and getting you to win cars as you won bikes in Tourist Trophy. Those little challenges were minimal, but they were always fun. If you want a car in more than one colour, then a modifier could've been implemented to switch it to a car passing event, or an auto-cross event. It would've added variety to acquiring cars and still in the spirit of competition.

b. The service has to keep offering new content/features in order to keep customers engaged.

If GTS is going to be mainly online, then it needs to offer top quality online. Historically, that hasn't been the case, and judging from their presentations they still don't have it working even in closed, controlled circumstances.

There's a reason why iRacing gets away with charging an arm and a leg, the service is by far the best available.

The thing here is, without offline content, the casual (SRF users who can't drive) users won't bother, which will make the quality of online races better.

The thing here is, without offline content, the casual (SRF users who can't drive) users won't bother, which will make the quality of online races better.
Interesting theory.

Do you think GTS will sell poorly due to that?

Maybe, but then you end up with a game like iRacing which has high quality races but appeals only to a very few.

One might think that a better solution for a game like Gran Turismo is to create a system that caters to all types of players, instead of simply driving away those who are less skilled. I mean, from the depth of the licensing and training systems we've seen so far it certainly looks like Gran Turismo would rather teach people how to be better drivers rather than just tell them to get lost.

Well, Mr Penso. So are you saying you want nothing at all from previous Gran Turismos? You didn't care at all that Midfield was reintroduced to GT6? You don't want to see Seattle return? You don't want any cars made prior to 2014? Well, that's you. I doubt your position would sit well with most of the community either. All I need mention is MkIV Supra, and you should recall all the grousing over it being a Standard, while the MkIII was a Premium.
I didn't say anything of the sort. I just disagree with your contention that standard cars and tracks need to be remodeled and that it takes time therefore GT7 delayed. They can remodel none or some, either way it means nothing to the release date of the game. They've had plenty of time and they touted the PS4 as so much easier to work then PS3 remember? Remodel the iconic cars and a few iconic tracks and move on.
By the way, I can tell the difference between content and features, but they tend to both be greatly desired, so I mentioned both. I also wish for Sport to grow, and that growth involves both. You really are excessively picky for some weird reason...
If you can tell the difference between content and feature why do you refer to content as features?

Why are y'all so disappointed? GT Sport is mainly focused on teaching new drivers how to race and be competitive, it's not a main GT title, no matter what anyone says, a full GT title contains a career mode. If you don't want to get GT Sport just because it has no career mode events, then don't get it! Wait for GT7! (I know that's easier said than done).

And that's kind of why I compared it more to those two shooters, rather than iRacing. iRacing is very popular, but within a very specific niche of people who demand the most realistic simulation possible. It isn't trying to bridge the gap between the beginners and the pros. Or if they are, they're not doing a very good job of it. It's still very intimidating to the the casual player, which is where GT can shine in comparison.

I'm not concerned about GT Sport's netcode not working, what I'm more concerned about is the casuals not caring, and the hardcore base rejecting it for not being punishing enough. The classic problem of casting too wide a net. I have a friend who loved GT4 as a teenager, but now refuses to play Gran Turismo because he found iRacing, and he's after the most realistic simulation possible. He won't settle for anything less, and he doesn't take the franchise seriously anymore. So if Polyphony is launching this massive FIA partnership and an eSports-focused title to grab people like him, he's never going to give them a chance. And I wonder how many people are like that.

• PD has always held goodies back, often quite substantial ones, to use as attention magnets to maintain public focus on the upcoming game over the months before release.
  • PD has patched in substantial additional features to existing games over their lifetimes.

What are these 'goodies' purposely held back that we didn't know about? What are the substantial features patched in? The only thing I can think of is Course Maker for GT6 which was neither held back or not known before being added.

I'm not concerned about GT Sport's netcode not working, what I'm more concerned about is the casuals not caring, and the hardcore base rejecting it for not being punishing enough. The classic problem of casting too wide a net. I have a friend who loved GT4 as a teenager, but now refuses to play Gran Turismo because he found iRacing, and he's after the most realistic simulation possible. He won't settle for anything less, and he doesn't take the franchise seriously anymore. So if Polyphony is launching this massive FIA partnership and an eSports-focused title to grab people like him, he's never going to give them a chance. And I wonder how many people are like that.

Ah, the difficulty of a game designed to be an eSport. It needs to be deep enough and difficult enough to reward pros for hard work and optimal strategy, but also accessable enough and enjoyable enough for your average gamer to jump in and have a good time.

Stuff like MOBAs, shooters and even MMOs to a certain extent have done reasonably well with that. I think it can be done with a racing game as well, it's simply a matter of making sure that players of all levels have something to reach for. Racing is very pure competition, and unless you're incredible nobody is going to be winning all that often in fields of 20 people, so it becomes all about engineering other goals and rewards into the system.

It will be interesting to see if and how Polyphony does it. All they've shown so far is the very top level stuff, which is great for the aliens but of little real interest to anyone else. I'm reasonably quick, but I'm unlikely to ever get near any of their finals unless it's restricted by suburb or something. :P

Maybe, but then you end up with a game like iRacing which has high quality races but appeals only to a very few.

One might think that a better solution for a game like Gran Turismo is to create a system that caters to all types of players, instead of simply driving away those who are less skilled. I mean, from the depth of the licensing and training systems we've seen so far it certainly looks like Gran Turismo would rather teach people how to be better drivers rather than just tell them to get lost.
I do think they will cater for those drivers with the campaign mode, where you start in driving tests and beginner classes, but you have to actually perform to advance.

Again. I still see GTS as a gap filler and a PS4 beta for GT7.

I do think they will cater for those drivers with the campaign mode, where you start in driving tests and beginner classes, but you have to actually perform to advance.
I don't think driving around cones, doing the stop test and racing sections of tracks within the time limit will be very appealing, especially since we've done virtual license tests since GT1.

Again. I still see GTS as a gap filler and a PS4 beta for GT7.
Don't expect a GT7 game within the next 3 years. Especially with Kaz's cryptic remark that GTS could be considered as GT7 already. PD are notoriously slow to get anything going.

I Think we'll see an add on in a year or so to complete the online and offline package

The other games have been offline with online content.
I think this approach is getting online content and racing right, first.
then develop the offline content,
Then repackage the lot as GT7.

I Think we'll see an add on in a year or so to complete the online and offline package

The other games have been offline with online content.
I think this approach is getting online content and racing right, first.
then develop the offline content,
Then repackage the lot as GT7.
A rushed patch a month after launch after the internetz explode when people pick up the game without realizing that it has no offline career is more likely:lol:

How do you know? The appeal of iRacing has never been tested. I am sure the no1 factor that drives people away from iRacing is it's insane price. The appeal could be much larger given the chance.

Personally I have stopped playing iRacing before because I was insulted by the prices. I was going to try to GT3 series, but then I saw the price of a single car being more than full DLC packs in other sims, and then the price of a track being near full price of something like Assetto Corsa, I just didnt want to give more money to them and didnt.

So if GT went online only, I'll have to depend entirely on the community if I just want a simple race and pay for PSN as well just to play? No thanks. If GT ever went in that direction, I'm done with the series. Permanently.
No need to be so definitive my friend. Even if GTS ends being online racing only (70-30 to be such imho), next GT will surely have a whole campaign offline just because of the fewer than expected sellings of GTS just because of this lack. And then, if we are still alive, we will probably buy that, eh? ;)

If PD would just give us a comprehensive Event Maker that works offline as well as on, I wouldn't need a PD staged GT Mode. Alas, I must run, but I look forward to more spirited debate in 12 hours. :P
I'd like this better than the traditional career mode. Grinding would be a lot less tedious if I could customize and mix it up.

But I do think it's entirely possible that there will be a traditional career mode, but they aren't talking about it yet because it's nothing new. I notice the online mode was greyed out in the screenshots, probably because it's more or less the same as it's been in GT5 and 6. With the initial reveal, it seems they wanted to focus on what's new.

Either way, it's far too early to rage-quit the series at this point.

for me career mode will not exist, GTSport is what Yamauchi has always thought, Not a videogame only but a digital test driving school, something that has a validity, if not now for the future maybe.
this agreements with FIA are not casual, it's clear that Yamauchi wants to put his product on a high level than a simple videogame and this, i bet, is its thought from when he is born :D

If I remember correctly GT4 Prologue was a same deal, the only racing was in Arcade (online didn't exist) and the actual main mode was just teaching you how do drive properly which gave you Bonus's for the actual GT4 (skipping the actual Licence tests).

I see this game being stronger than GT4 Prologue however compared to GT5 Prologue I think I would prefer to play GT5:P

GT5:P had less content (especially with Race Cars) but there was a lot to do with the content you had (I'd say there is more to do than GT5 itself). What made GT5:P is its career mode which wasn't GT4 Levels but it was there, it was playable and it was able to get me to buy a collection of cars and use my collection (especially with Manufacturer events in which this game is the last game to have that feature sadly).

If GT Sport actually had a single player career mode, then I would probably would think about buying a PS4 for it but, out of luck.

As for me comparing this game to Prologues, that is what I see GT Sport as, a GT7 Prologue just with a name change and Kaz spouting out things to market it as anything but a Prologue.

If I remember correctly GT4 Prologue was a same deal, the only racing was in Arcade (online didn't exist) and the actual main mode was just teaching you how do drive properly which gave you Bonus's for the actual GT4 (skipping the actual Licence tests).

I see this game being stronger than GT4 Prologue however compared to GT5 Prologue I think I would prefer to play GT5:P

GT5:P had less content (especially with Race Cars) but there was a lot to do with the content you had (I'd say there is more to do than GT5 itself). What made GT5:P is its career mode which wasn't GT4 Levels but it was there, it was playable and it was able to get me to buy a collection of cars and use my collection (especially with Manufacturer events in which this game is the last game to have that feature sadly).

If GT Sport actually had a single player career mode, then I would probably would think about buying a PS4 for it but, out of luck.

As for me comparing this game to Prologues, that is what I see GT Sport as, a GT7 Prologue just with a name change and Kaz spouting out things to market it as anything but a Prologue.
Shame it will be priced as a full game though.

I'll probably get backlash for this post, but oh well. It's not that big of a deal to me if there's career mode or not. I might be in the minority (I am since my vote has only 7%), but I want to race real people and show off my color/livery schemes. This being in gtsport is a great, gt finally has an up-to-date way to do that. On top of that the fia connection appeals to me and the "events" they may have scheduled looks cool. I never expected this game to be a big career centered GT. The manufacturers cup or whatever they call it might open up to a big future of additional manufacturer involvement.

So, anyway, if you feel me or not, what I think threads like this are- are more excuses to complain about the 'negatives' of the game. The game we don't know everything about. I don't care if these guys complain, that's your right. But everytime I see these threads though, it's the same cast playing their parts. I don't see yall with nearly as many posts on the pluses of the game. That's fine. Like Styles P said on "I'm Black" -"they focus on the negative attention, do something positive and never get mentioned" ;)

So, anyway, if you feel me or not, what I think threads like this are- are more excuses to complain about the 'negatives' of the game. The game we don't know everything about. I don't care if these guys complain, that's your right. But everytime I see these threads though, it's the same cast playing their parts. I don't see yall with nearly as many posts on the pluses of the game. That's fine. Like Styles P said on "I'm Black" -"they focus on the negative attention, do something positive and never get mentioned" ;)

What I think this paragraph is, is an excuse to complain about those that don't share your opinion.

Why do people have to spread their posts evenly across "negatives" and "positives", as you seem to imply? They're free to be concerned by an apparent lack of any offline mode – GT is not special in this regard, as a great many people complained about the same thing with Need For Speed and Star Wars Battlefront. People that play exclusively online are the minority.

Personally, half the fun of (the older, PS1 and PS2) GT games was the career. I liked hunting for a car in the used lots and building it up slowly. With that seemingly gone from GT Sport, the only draws I've found is a handful of cars on the list, the livery editor, and the Photomode. I'm wary of the online events, because while I'm fast, I have no idea how they'll be organized yet. They might be fun, or they might be the more usual thing found online in racing games: a crash fest.

What I think this paragraph is, is an excuse to complain about those that don't share your opinion.

Why do people have to spread their posts evenly across "negatives" and "positives", as you seem to imply? They're free to be concerned by an apparent lack of any offline mode – GT is not special in this regard, as a great many people complained about the same thing with Need For Speed and Star Wars Battlefront. People that play exclusively online are the minority.

Personally, half the fun of (the older, PS1 and PS2) GT games was the career. I liked hunting for a car in the used lots and building it up slowly. With that seemingly gone from GT Sport, the only draws I've found is a handful of cars on the list, the livery editor, and the Photomode. I'm wary of the online events, because while I'm fast, I have no idea how they'll be organized yet. They might be fun, or they might be the more usual thing found online in racing games: a crash fest.
I implied you have to post equally good and bad, positive and negative? No bro. I'd be the first to be charged guilty since I'm mostly on the positivity side. I'm pretty sure I said that I don't care if people point out mostly negatives. That's their right. If I can be called out for being mostly positive and overlooking missing features (like career), then so too can I call out those being mostly or even somewhat negative. I'm in no way saying people can't be disappointed. But I call em how I see em. You just did the same :D

Personally I never liked the grind to earn cars (and the right to drive em).

I prefer the full race weekend/season type of deal. Get fully immersed into that, take my time. The 3 lap race, catch the rabbit is awful.

All that being said if the AI is rubbish its all a bit of a moot point for me.

This subject was slightly touched upon in the press conference. From Alan's video at 7:45, the journalist harps on a bit about the joy of starting out with old/rubbish cars, then goes on to say:

Journo: "There doesn't seem to be a place for that in GT Sport. Is that something that's going to be coming in a future game?"

Kaz: "Of course."

"To add to that, the times have changed since 20 years ago. Back then, it was possible to set up a game that took hundreds of hours to play, where you stepped up a little bit at a time, but nowadays it's not so easy to make a game with that kind of slow progress. We need to design the games with a little bit better tempo for the new audiences."

Back