GT1 Oddities and bugs! Post here if you notice one.

• Thread starter tankuroded
  • 142 comments
Indonesia
Paint booth
FMecha_EXE
Well, I opened this thread about oddities in GT1. Post one if you noticed.

My first oddities/bug noticed is many cars uses their Japanese car names.
For instance:
engrish_models.png

Mitsubishi GTO was the original name of the 3000GT, and I think it has always been called GTO in Japan. There's a couple stories about what happened.

Pontiac already had used the name "GTO" since the 60s, and were about to cause a legal stir if Mitsubishi declined from using GTO. Hence the car had to be renamed. Ironically, Pontiac weren't using GTO at the time (in the early '90s, and when they released the new version of the GTO in America years later, it was a financial flop.

Another story is that "GTO" was seen as hallmark letters (associated with both Ferrari and Pontiac) and that Mitsubishi itself chose not to use these letters outside of Japan, as a sort of honorable mannerism.

I don't think there are a lot of oddities in GT1. Compared to the later games, GT1 is so far the most bug-free (probably since it's the smallest game and PD had a lot of time to develop it - 5 years IIRC).

If there's one mishap, it's the car info screens. I distinctly remember the Subaru ones got mixed up pretty bad. Doesn't make too much difference though, since they are all similar anyways :lol:.

If you buy a tuned car via memory-card trade, the parts are not purchased with it, even though you pay the cost for them. The parts are fitted, but can easily be lost if you change parts.

This is related to the "infinite supply of parts for all instances of the same model" feature. Once you buy a part, it is registered in a huge table as having been bought. If you buy or win another instance of the same car, those parts will be available. (Note that a prize car in this case is not the same as a similar model which you can purchase; each has its own garage code, and so a different set of parts). In fact, even if you sell all instances of that model, the parts will still remain available if you obtain another one later. (This feature does not apply to modifications which cannot be undone, such as weight reduce or engine polishing or balancing).

So you can see, the bug is that when you purchase a used car which has lots of removable parts fitted, your "inventory" of parts for that car is not updated.

I observed this problem in both North American versions.

It got fixed in [size=+1]GT2[/size]; in [size=+1]GT2[/size] you must buy separate parts for each car; no sharing! And when you buy a used car, you do pay for and get its parts.

In [size=+1]GT3[/size], however, when you purchase a used car, you don't pay for its parts, but do get them for free! That makes for some rather silly gameplay possibilities.

There's some minor problems with the lap record for an event too.

I believe you can set the lap record during free practice, but that won't get recorded in the permanent records. If your race lap record doesn't beat it, you can end up with a total time record, but no lap record. I can't recall what happens if you did qualifying. Ah. If you do pre-qualifying practice, it's easy to set a record you can't beat in qualifying, so qualifying won't be a lap record either. And so if your race laps are slower, it can happen that no lap record gets recorded, even if you do do qualifying.

The pole times for the Clubman R5 Reverse event of the Hard-Tuned Car Speed Contest are several seconds too slow. You can often get pole there even if your car can't keep up with the competitors.

Related bug: The qualifying times set by the Civic for most events in that series are unrealistically fast. (Somehow, though, the game does have an idea of the likely order of qualifying for all events).

Bonus bug: many AI competitors hit the wall on the exit of the final drift tunnel in that race. This actually has the pleasant effect of causing different AI competitors to win at this race, allowing you to win the series with fewer than four wins. (But, actually the AI frequently clip the wall at various places around SSR11ii also). (And then there's the frequent wild AI accidents on the first lap of the Grand Valley 300).

Bonus bonus oddity: (In North American version) there are only two different AI lineups which show up for the Hard-Tuned Car Speed Contest.

Last edited:
Sometimes, if you buy a car which previously sold, a series of uninstalled tunings is available to select in the [Car Settings] screen.

As said of up of me:

This is related to the "infinite supply of parts for all instances of the same model" feature. Once you buy a part, it is registered in a huge table as having been bought. If you buy or win another instance of the same car, those parts will be available.

The Racing modification comes with stage 3 weight reduction, only in GT1.

MadMax

When you come fast in Special Stage Route 11, and try to wallride on the first corner, you can get inside the fence and pass trough the poles. It happened to me during a race with a NSX. On the PAL version. See the screenshot below.

psd3d004.jpg

The Racing modification comes with stage 3 weight reduction, only in GT1.

MadMax
That is, if you purchase WR1, WR2 and WR3 and then RM in [size=+1]GT1[/size] you sort of wasted your money on the WR--final resultant weight is the same, and the game lets you do RM without WR. It sort of makes real life sense in a way; when you go to get RM, the fact you've done or not done WR3 might not change the expense needed for full RM. (Argument gets a bit tenuous when some of the WR modifications involve removing interior seating, etc.)

[size=+1]GT1[/size] can be played in such a way that money is scarce. so it might make sense to WR a car, and race it a bit to get cash before later doing RM. See also how you can share [removable] parts between different cars, however. If the car is cheap enough, a fully-fitted RM alternative to the WR car can be obtained for just the basic price of the car (you'd need to do RM anyway; well there is the minor polish and balancing too. but you can usually get away without them).

In [size=+1]GT2[/size]. however, they did change it to require you to do WR1, WR2 and WR3 before RM. And also eliminated the parts sharing.

Last edited:
Saw a strange Japanese GT glitch video.

See the madmax86 post for the video. My bad.

In the max speed challenge in NTSC-J version, when player car goes right to the wall, it flies.
[This is not me driving, but I hope this will make you laugh :D]

Last edited:
^Can't see the video. Did you embed it correctly? You only need to wrap the letters after "=", not the whole youtube url.

As for the flying car, I get that a lot back when I was small and I'm always driving like a madman :lol:. It's not a glitch per se, but a limitation of the game's physics engine. So in real life if you do that you'll probably end up destroying your car and flipping many times. But in GT you don't have damage and you can't flip, so your car ends up bouncing off the wall and 'flying' for some time before returning to the track.

Now THAT is something new lol. I think he must be using a hybrid or a cheat of some sort though, I had far worse 'accidents' than that on the Test Course and nothing happens that matches the hilarity of that vid :lol:.

P.S. MadMax, if you're wondering why I've been missing from the GT5P WRS for months, it's because of GTPSP. I just can't put that bugger down! :D

Off-topic - Why is this "riding the walls" bug present in the japanese version only?
On-topic - The Car Wash Bug-it sais it'll only take you 50 Cr, but it's taking you millions. :crazy:

Last edited:
Yes, in general [size=+1]GT1[/size] had problems deciding whether its credit count was a signed or unsigned quantity. I remember creating a car which could be bought from a garage and then sold to make a large amount of money somehow.

I never heard of a Type Z. You're right, it could be an RZ and PD simply made another mistake.

In PAL version, the power was written as original PS and result PS (cmiiw), but it is written on HPs! See the demio turbo pic.

I have noticed something very strange. I cannot extrapolate any general rules here, this is purely anecdotal. Aghemm... It occurred when I took the black castrol supra for a spin around trial mountain (this is testament to my student status, i.e. lots of time on my hands). Just as one passes through the tunnel before the long straight which consists of a series of mini hills, with trees encroaching at the sides of the track…well just in that little dip after the tunnel I stopped, probably to drink some tea (we do that a lot in Britain, and as students it just gets ridiculous…anyway). Now this is the weird bit – the car started to roll backwards, then stopped, then rolled forwards, then stopped, then rolled backwards, and so on, all the time a strange sound is coming from the car that sounds like a bass line or some strange satanic chant. This really freaked me out. True story. And don’t be laughing, and saying to yourself, it is a dip in the road you idiot – this behaviour was not consistent with a car settling in a dip. Well put that in your pipe and smoke it!

Back