GT1 Oddities and bugs! Post here if you notice one.

• Thread starter tankuroded
  • 142 comments
Not a bug or an oddity, but I found the original of the picture used for the main menu at Honda/Acura dealership (it's from a 1997 NSX Japanese sales brochure)

Last edited:
I hardly been playing GT1 these days so I'm not sure how it is in the game.

I would like to have a comparison here.Nice find though.

Here's how it looks ingame (they cropped the rest, leaving only the car)
gran-turismo-honda.jpg

Here's how it looks ingame (they cropped the rest, leaving only the car)
gran-turismo-honda.jpg

And they made it purplish ;)

Also, Demio LX-G's image in the New Car menu is apparently wrong - it shows a black bumper, which is only available in GL-X.

Not so much a bug but more an oddity, if you remember how a red RM Dodge Viper looks (can't find a pic of it, sorry) and then compare it to the Team Oreca Viper from GT3 and onwards, you may find that they look quite similar..

The Viper GTS-R was already being built by the time of GT1's release, the Race Modified Vipers are just GTS-R's with different paint schemes than the White/Blue stripe prototype.

1998-dodge-viper-gts-r-index.jpg

Speaking of the Viper, in the Japanese version the GTS-R received quite an extensive weight reduction - it only weighs 836 kilos (more than 500 kilos lighter than the street Vipers), has a 700 hp engine and corners like mad when driven with soft tires. And it also has a 7th gear which is useless actually. But it's a great car nevertheless, especially the one with the green stripes.

Last edited:
And something I discovered recently - if you choose to test run your car while at a tournament or a spot race, the car will be washed for free if it's dirty.

I wouldn't have said so. I recently RM'd my Viper RT/10, and despite me going for yellow instead of red, I took a look at the red car and it looks nothing like the Team Oreca car

The RM of the Viper RT/10 is a replica of the Viper that raced at Le Mans even before the GTS/R, with the stickers changed of course.

6566703053_d2b3732296_z.jpg

Is having nightmares involving Route 11 an intended side effect of playing the game, or is it just a glitch in the programming?

1. The NSX's rear wheels stick through the fenders when you drive.
2. In Toyota's New car line-up the Chaser Tourer-S is pictured as having black color, but it isn't actually available for the car.
3. Car crash sounds are disabled when you watch replays.

Last edited:
Another thing that caught my attention recently- I was doing the Hard-Tuned series and while racing at CSR5 I noticed that the Lancer Evo and the GT-R were MUCH faster than the rest of the field and that was ONLY on that course. I guess it's just another bug, but it's quite annoying sometimes as they are trying to push you off the road, too.

Last edited:
1. In the Deep Forest II (Time Trial) there are no comparison times (green/yellow) during repeated laps except all round time, which appears correctly.
2. In some races (Grand Valley, High Speed Ring) sounds the engine of near opponents like noisy motorcycle engine at 10000 revs per minute.
3. Toyota Starlet Glanza (car logo) and Gransha (in info and description)

Last edited:
If you watch a replay from the Hard Tuned CR5ii race you'll see that most of the cars catch themselves on walls somewhere, mostly exiting the final tunnel. That's why the slower cars end up faster. Sort of nice in that it mixes up the results so you can win with fewer points.

I was racing in the Lightweight Cars special event (for the first time, admittedly) and I noticed that there was a yellow CR-X racing around at Autumn Ring Mini. Not that odd, except for the fact that it looked like it was wearing red Watanabe Eight-Spokes. Could wheel swaps have been a possibility in GT1?:scared:

Of course, it could have been just the way it looked. With the low quality of the PS1 graphics, it can be hard to tell.

EDIT: I don't know if anyone else has noticed this, but I just aquiered the Silvia S14 LM Edition (from the SSR11 All Night 1), and I noticed that on the front bumper there is a NOS sponser decal mirrored from the right side to the left side. As far as I know, there was no NOS lisence for any GT game, let alone the first. Is this just a coincidence, or was this deliberate, and just not yet caught.

Last edited:
I saved a replay from the GV300 and it seems to cut off mid-way during Lap 13. Anyone having this, too? :indiff:

Tunerguy - that car is the Special Color CR-X won from FF Challenge, too bad we can't use our own Special Color CR-X to enter Lightweight Cup. :grumpy:

I've noticed another thing recently (I don't know if it's a bug, you decide) - the MA70 Supra can't be used for racing when it's fully tuned - the reason is that it has so much turbo lag that you can't leave the start-finish line in time. Once it gets going it decimates almost everything, though.

® Toyota Celica GT Four in Grand Valley 300km Endurance Race is FF and has only 887kg

View attachment 265681
Well, 887 kg isn't unrealistic considering it's racing modified. As for it being FF, I don't know. The GT-Four is supposed to be AWD. Either it is a GT-Four and they mislabeled the drivetrain (I'm not sure if the GT-Four can be modded higher than 326 horsepower-probably), or they screwed up the name of the SS-II. Judging by the horsepower, I'm assuming it's an SS-II.

I've noticed another thing recently (I don't know if it's a bug, you decide) - the MA70 Supra can't be used for racing when it's fully tuned - the reason is that it has so much turbo lag that you can't leave the start-finish line in time. Once it gets going it decimates almost everything, though.
It's called turbo lag, and it's not a bug. However, turbo lag is a lot more pronounced in the first GT than it is in later installments. A lot of heavily modded turbo cars in GT1 will be prone to huge turbo lag. This includes the Supra, GTO/3000GT, Skyline, and a lot of other cars that have a lot of turbocharged horsepower. I wouldn't consider it a bug.

Also, special color cars can't enter the Lightweight Cup for some reason. It's stupid.

Speaking of the Viper, in the Japanese version the GTS-R received quite an extensive weight reduction - it only weighs 836 kilos (more than 500 kilos lighter than the street Vipers), has a 700 hp engine and corners like mad when driven with soft tires. And it also has a 7th gear which is useless actually. But it's a great car nevertheless, especially the one with the green stripes.
The Viper GTS-R is heavier in the NA version, but it still actually has a 7th gear. But with the default gearing, you're never using 6th or 7th. Good thing you can tweak the ratios.

Last edited:
Well, 887 kg isn't unrealistic considering it's racing modified. As for it being FF, I don't know. The GT-Four is supposed to be AWD. Either it is a GT-Four and they mislabeled the drivetrain (I'm not sure if the GT-Four can be modded higher than 326 horsepower-probably), or they screwed up the name of the SS-II. Judging by the horsepower, I'm assuming it's an SS-II.

Basically they put the GT-Four racing body into a SS-II. Could be the SS-II was planned to be in the races instead of the GT-Four? :confused:

I don't know if this has been posted yet, but if you go to Mazdaspeed and in there go to Others (the part where you can apply a racing modification to your car), the Mazdaspeed text on the top right of the screen is misspelled "Mazdzspeed". I got a laugh out of that.

The wallride "bug" is not a bug, but the untimate drifting technique, only accessible by the Japanese.

Just embarked on yet another playthrough of GT1, and I noticed something I've never seen before. I unlocked the FTO LM Edition from the US vs. Japan Championship, and checked its specs in the garage screen. When you get to the page marked "list of fitted parts", under suspension, it says "Suspension Kit: NEED-JA.HTM", rather than actually listing the suspension type (like my tuned Supra reading "Suspension Kit: Sports").

It's almost as if the game is reading a filename or placeholder name or something, rather than giving the name of the actual suspension setup. Maybe this is because it doesn't have a traditional suspension mod bought from the tuning shop, but rather comes with its own suspension that doesn't exist in the shop and therefore can't be replaced. It's like that on the Chaser LM Edition as well, and therefore potentially like that for all "LM-type" cars.

This was on a UK PAL version of the disc, so it would be interesting to see if the error exists on any other region.

It was also like that on my US version. I think all race cars with fully customizable suspension stock had that placeholder name. Let's just imagine it's PD's brand of magical suspension :D

BTW, I just noticed (after 18 years of playing GT1, lol) that the Eclipse is in GT trim. And it is a fine car, don't get me wrong. Except that the 2G Eclipse was never available in such trim, the GT came with the introduction of the 3G in 1999. So, the in-game car is supposed to be a GST rather than GT.

Back