GT5: GT Mode

  • Thread starter Thread starter gtone339
  • 182 comments
  • 19,587 views
Also, for those thinks that 35K is too much money. Even if the user starts with 35K, you can't really tell what are the car prices - they might be updated since GT4/GT5P so what you could buy in GT4 with 35K, you can't in GT5.

Possible, but unlikely. A lot of cars have stayed at roughly the same prices in Credits throughout the games. The MR2 GT-S is a perfect example: not counting used prices, it always rings up at 27,130. From GT1 to GTPSP. If anything, the amount of cars we're able to buy for 35K in GT5 should be higher; a lot of cars that were just over that limit should now be found in the Used lots...
 
Guys, I'm not trolling. I genuinely don't like that aspect to the game and thought five games in it might be a chance for an overhaul.

Say what you like about Forza, but within the reward system, you're given access to your own personal cars and after achieving Level 30, you have our own Veyron.

Going back to the GT series is going to be pretty hard, sent back to used cars and waiting a long time to get your own supercars, that's all.
 
Yes, and Turn 10 lifted this concept as well from Gran Turismo. ;)

You must not have played very much, and forgotten how many crazy capable sports cars, tuners and race cars you get early in every GT game, as well as in license tests and percentage completed milestones. If anything, Forza 3 backed off the prize giveaways a bit.

But to comment on GT Mode specifically, I'm hoping that we get something like my concept of Career Mode, in which you are treated more like a young upstart trying to establish a racing career.
 
I've actually started my second-ever GT4 game last night just to revisit the licenses, after doing it with the previous three games over the last two months. I've been collecting all the golds again... and GT1 is still the hardest, GT4 rally tests excluded.

Going back to GT1 after playing GT5P and the Time Trial demo, I found the licenses extremely easy. Golded them all. Most of them first time.

Some of the GT4 tests are stupidly difficult. The S license in the NSX JGTC at Tokyo being one of them (On the PAL version I mean, where the Takata Dome NSX gets a little... snappy).

Also, the coffee breaks do the exact opposite of their mission statement; they're hair-pullingly frustrating. If they don't make a return I won't be in the least bit bothered.

The coffee breaks were completely optional. There was no reward, not even % towards game completion. There were very annoying...

Guys, I'm not trolling. I genuinely don't like that aspect to the game and thought five games in it might be a chance for an overhaul.

An overhaul? When hugely popular games get overhauls it usually means the end of the franchise because the fanbase is resistant to change. Look at Final Fantasy over recent years for example.

Say what you like about Forza, but within the reward system, you're given access to your own personal cars and after achieving Level 30, you have our own Veyron.

In GT4 you could race a rally event that was pathetically easy/quick and gave a Toyota rally raid car that sold for around cr. 250k. You could do this as many times as you liked. You could have almost any car in the game within 3 hours of play.

Going back to the GT series is going to be pretty hard, sent back to used cars and waiting a long time to get your own supercars, that's all.

In GT you can start off with a Nissan Skyline or a Mitsubishi Evo with ~250bhp. In Forza, you can't. Used cars rule.

Yes, and Turn 10 lifted this concept as well from Gran Turismo. ;)

You must not have played very much, and forgotten how many crazy capable sports cars, tuners and race cars you get early in every GT game, as well as in license tests and percentage completed milestones. If anything, Forza 3 backed off the prize giveaways a bit.

Exactly. The only cars that I had trouble getting in GT4 were collecting all of the LMP/Group C cars, and the different colour F1 cars. And maybe the Ford model T. But they're all for good reason.

Infact, arguably the best car in the game (The Toyota Minolta 88c-v) was obtainable from arguably the easiest race in the game, the El Capitan endurance. How can anyone say that it is difficult to get the good cars in GT?
 
I'm fine with GT Mode exactly how it was represented in GT4. Enthusia's "Career" was interesting, but frustrating in equal measure.

I don't get it... where's the sense of progression if you have access to almost everything immediately? I suppose you can always get a save online with everything available, then, if you can't be bothered to work for it. If GT5 is anything like 4's prize car bonanza, though, you really shouldn't be too worried; just golding the licenses leaves you with 15 cars, and then there's the Driving Missions. After that it's basically as easy as finding a prize car list and aiming for the desired Prototype racer or big-credit sell-off.

EDIT:

Going back to GT1 after playing GT5P and the Time Trial demo, I found the licenses extremely easy. Golded them all. Most of them first time.

Some of the GT4 tests are stupidly difficult. The S license in the NSX JGTC at Tokyo being one of them (On the PAL version I mean, where the Takata Dome NSX gets a little... snappy).

Really? As I've only fiddled with Prologue at friends' places, and played the TT once, I can't compare, but PSP is reasonably close to them. I guess I should've clarified; GT1 had the smallest margin for error. A lot of GT2's tests were easy to get well under the gold time, and same with GT3. GT4's slightly less so, imo. But with GT1... I couldn't gold the stupid start/stop tests without resorting to some very strange methods (the handbrake?!). The rest weren't too bad, and to its advantage, GT1 never had one of the blind corner tests or slaloms.

The coffee breaks were completely optional. There was no reward, not even % towards game completion. There were very annoying...

Oh, I know, but I skipped all after one try my first play through, so now I'm actually going to try to gold them as well, just for the added challenge. I'm sure I'll get fed up and quit sooner or later, though!

In GT4 you could race a rally event that was pathetically easy/quick and gave a Toyota rally raid car that sold for around cr. 250k. You could do this as many times as you liked. You could have almost any car in the game within 3 hours of play.

That was my go-to money maker up until getting a DTM car. Once I had one, it was as easy as throwing B-Spec Bob into the DTM championship and reaping the benefits. 15min later you end up with roughly 1 million credits after selling the CLK. Longer if I had a hankering for tackling the 'Ring on my own.

In GT you can start off with a Nissan Skyline or a Mitsubishi Evo with ~250bhp. In Forza, you can't. Used cars rule.

👍

Exactly. The only cars that I had trouble getting in GT4 was collecting all of the LMP/Group C cars, and the different colour F1 cars. And maybe the Ford model T. But they're all for good reason.

Infact, arguably the best car in the game (The Toyota Minolta 88c-v) was obtainable from arguably the easiest race in the game, the El Capitan endurance. How can anyone say that it is difficult to get the good cars in GT?

Precisely; GT has always had a fast-track for those who wanted it. GT3 was easy too: beat the Arcade Time Trials, use the Panoz you win in Like The Wind, and ta-da, you have a 787B, one of the best non-F1 cars in the game, and which can win you a few of them right afterwards if you want.
 
Last edited:
Seriously PD, 5 games in and you still use the same, rigorous mechanic? No wonder people have taken Forza to their hearts as it gives you access to the fun much sooner.

While you are on the topic tying emotion to a game ---

And like a bad "morning after", alot of people (including myself) realized it (FM3) was a shallow experience that was good for one evening.

:ouch:
 
While you are on the topic tying emotion to a game ---

And like a bad "morning after", alot of people (including myself) realized it (FM3) was a shallow experience that was good for one evening.

:ouch:

Max, I have to agree. I pushed several friends towards FM3 initially, but I was the first back to GT4.

I've been waiting since GT3 for a game as deep as GT5 is slated to be. FM3 is a very shallow upgrade compared to FM1 and FM2. GT5 is a thorough build and I expect the same glee I had racing GT1 for weeks on end (summer visitation with dad!). Now I'm 26 and I need something a little better than FM3 as a career game. The little time I have I want to feel immersed like the GT1 days!
 
Max, I have to agree. I pushed several friends towards FM3 initially, but I was the first back to GT4.

I've been waiting since GT3 for a game as deep as GT5 is slated to be. FM3 is a very shallow upgrade compared to FM1 and FM2. GT5 is a thorough build and I expect the same glee I had racing GT1 for weeks on end (summer visitation with dad!). Now I'm 26 and I need something a little better than FM3 as a career game. The little time I have I want to feel immersed like the GT1 days!

Your post makes me wish I started playing GT earlier in life. But I still have GT3 as my nostalgia.

However, I'll stop myself and go search for the GT reminisce thread. :lol:
 
Guys, I'm not trolling. I genuinely don't like that aspect to the game and thought five games in it might be a chance for an overhaul.

Say what you like about Forza, but within the reward system, you're given access to your own personal cars and after achieving Level 30, you have our own Veyron.

Going back to the GT series is going to be pretty hard, sent back to used cars and waiting a long time to get your own supercars, that's all.

Yup, FM3 gave you a car for reaching a level. That was great at first. As the years and levels went on, you got free cars that could easily win any race you used them in, it got a bit too easy. Easy=not very fun.
 
Yeah, FM2 was cool because of that. Because to get the REALLY fast cars you'd had to get to level 45-50. I've seen the level rewards, and it seems like as soon as you hit about level 10, you're getting pretty fast cars. Which is kinda stupid. You can just hand out exotics like candy, you gotta make people work for them. That's why I like GT. It takes you a bit to win some cars. And then there are those weird catch22 races. Like the 2CV race. You couldn't buy a 2CV, but if you won the series you got one, so you had to go find another means of obtaining the car.
 
Yeah, FM2 was cool because of that. Because to get the REALLY fast cars you'd had to get to level 45-50. I've seen the level rewards, and it seems like as soon as you hit about level 10, you're getting pretty fast cars. Which is kinda stupid. You can just hand out exotics like candy, you gotta make people work for them. That's why I like GT. It takes you a bit to win some cars. And then there are those weird catch22 races. Like the 2CV race. You couldn't buy a 2CV, but if you won the series you got one, so you had to go find another means of obtaining the car.

Yea it is this rpg element that makes GT unique and I hope that is not lost in the new game.

There is simply no way of being everything to everybody and attempts to do so, often dilute not improve.
 
Max, I have to agree. I pushed several friends towards FM3 initially, but I was the first back to GT4.

I've been waiting since GT3 for a game as deep as GT5 is slated to be. FM3 is a very shallow upgrade compared to FM1 and FM2.
I'll have to play dumb on the above remark, because I quit F3 after just six or seven weeks. It did seem nicely improved, with a decent increase to the T10 flavored car and track list. Unfortunately, the file bogging issue and the downright horrible image handling stabbed me right in the gut, and I finally couldn't take a four hour plus ordeal to get 18 pics transferred to my PC and Photoshopped enough to be remotely like the originals.

It's funny though how many of us are still firing up GT4. I've been racing it all day myself, and in Arcade Mode no less, having a blast and saving replays for future photo shoots. I keep wanting to hop into Prologue for dessert, but I keep wanting to try one more car among my hundreds of prized rides in my garage, and even more in the Arcade list, and seeing how many 200 point races I can manage.

I know the physics and graphics are primitive compared to Prologue, and both of them to the TT demo and GT5 itself, but... darn, what else is there with this many cars, tracks, and the Master's attention to detail and infusion of a tangible passion for cars?

There's Forza 3, which is... close, but to me in a horseshoes or darts kind of way. It's just wide of the mark. I don't like the physics as much, I don't like the driver views, and I don't feel the love of making this game from T10 the way I do Polyphony and Gran Turismo. The thing I do love about Forza is the mod shop and livery editor, but I just don't have the time to muck with the boggy decal list, and I sure as heck don't with the photo system. And PC sims are too sterile, clinical, and have just a handful of pure race cars.

This is why we keep coming back to GT4, a game which doesn't look ugly to us at all, has an awesome amount of cars and tracks, and is the closest thing to GT5 we have till November. I'm still in awe of this game.
 
Am I a bad enough dude to quote the OP and ignore every other post in the thread?
Yes.

4733868859_f5b8dbf1d0_b.jpg
YES! Thank You PD. No more of that inane crap from GT4. Back to the simple, straightforward menus of GT3.
 
anyone allready put the possibility of this image be...maybe...fake...

something in this image seems fake....i dont know what...but i dont think is autentic....
 
It was posted as part of the official E3 update on gran-turismo.com so no, it's not fake.
 
Yeah, FM2 was cool because of that. Because to get the REALLY fast cars you'd had to get to level 45-50. I've seen the level rewards, and it seems like as soon as you hit about level 10, you're getting pretty fast cars. Which is kinda stupid. You can just hand out exotics like candy, you gotta make people work for them. That's why I like GT. It takes you a bit to win some cars. And then there are those weird catch22 races. Like the 2CV race. You couldn't buy a 2CV, but if you won the series you got one, so you had to go find another means of obtaining the car.
Couldn't agree more! 👍 I thought the career system used in Forza 2 was very good and in fact, it's one of the biggest reasons why I prefer Forza 2 over Forza 3.
 
It was posted as part of the official E3 update on gran-turismo.com so no, it's not fake.

ok...sorry...i didnt know....


i like the new visual.....i dont remember exactly how was the visual of GT mode in past GT games...but this seems very nice...
 
Forza 3 was pushed towards a more casual market. It therefore gave the casuals the cars that would keep them interested and with that game's emphasis on painting, it allowed the creative side to go wild. I don't much enjoy the races in this game either, but then I've always been largely a time-trial fan, just hooning it for a laugh. I also spend most of my time painting or taking photos. But at least Forza gives you that access, so that if racing isn't 100% your thing, then you haven't got to wait around, potentially not enjoying the experience to get what you want from a game.

GT to people like myself now feels like a labourious task, as now I've been shown another way. It wouldn't hurt PD to open up the game to more people by offering another way after all these years, that's all. That would have no impact on people who like the current progression and pull back people who don't like it with a more rewarding mode.

I know my name makes me appear trollish, but I'm not here for a fanboy war, I simply wish GT would open up to pull me back, as I was 100% GT before FM2. Heck, I barely touched FM1 because I eventually used a GT4 cheat disc and had stupid credits, just so I could access the cars to take photos. The racing wasn't even on my agenda after that.
 
If you just want to fool around with a lot of cars, not race them, then I'd say that Gran Turismo isn't for you, but I don't know. If you like hot lapping for the heck of it and using Photo Mode, you can grab any car in Arcade Mode, do a race, save it and snap pics all day.

GT is what it is. Neither it or Forza have given you all the cars at once to play with in every way, and I can't see this changing.
 
But at least in GT mode I could change the wheels. Arcade mode didn't let you do this.

Perhaps the change could be in Arcade mode. GT once used to be for me, but it's a bit of a risk after all of these years not making changes to the game's structure, as people do move on. It's sometimes easy to forget that communities like here and FM.net are the hardcore fans. The casual market don't sign up to forums to analyse every small detail.

I love cars. I want to love GT5, but I worry it's not quite inclusive enough to players who have experienced other games in the last five years.
 
I think the GT mode layout is very nice, clean, crisp and very modern, however i have to say i do prefer the layout from GT4, i like the whole town/city idea. But no doubt that this layout looks fantastic! :drool:
 
But at least in GT mode I could change the wheels. Arcade mode didn't let you do this.

Perhaps the change could be in Arcade mode. GT once used to be for me, but it's a bit of a risk after all of these years not making changes to the game's structure, as people do move on. It's sometimes easy to forget that communities like here and FM.net are the hardcore fans. The casual market don't sign up to forums to analyse every small detail.

I love cars. I want to love GT5, but I worry it's not quite inclusive enough to players who have experienced other games in the last five years.

GT Life won't like GT mode of past games.

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/gamehunters/post/2010/01/talking-gran-turismo-5/1

Talk a bit about what players will experience when they get to play the game.
I created the first Gran Tursimo back in 1997 (for the original PlayStation). Back then, it kind of set a new standard for the style for car racing games. This Gran Turismo 5 is going to change all that now. It will change the style of car games in the future. It will be creating a new standard for the genre.

In what manner?
The entire game design and you might be able to say the functionality of the game. I think it would be expressed better if you just say the entire game design.

How are you doing this and is this to allow players to go deeper into the car driving experience?
I think the background behind it is the advancements in technology. But the driving force and necessity for that change is really the times we live in and that the lifestyles of the people playing games have changed over the years.

In other words, people don't spend as much time with a single game as they used to do.
So I'm guessing GT5 will be more open ended and less structured
 
Guys, I'm not trolling. I genuinely don't like that aspect to the game and thought five games in it might be a chance for an overhaul.

Say what you like about Forza, but within the reward system, you're given access to your own personal cars and after achieving Level 30, you have our own Veyron.

Going back to the GT series is going to be pretty hard, sent back to used cars and waiting a long time to get your own supercars, that's all.

To be honest achieving Bronze in the licence tests is quite easy, achieving all Gold is very hard and can be extremely frustrating although that hasn't stopped me from obtaining all Gold and 100% completion in all GT-games ( as well as TT ) perhaps more due to persistence and the things I picked up whilst doing those tests than purely on skills alone ( which often leave something to be desired........).
GT ( like any good game in my opinion ) rewards those who invest time and effort into them whilst still offering an "escape route" for the casual player.
Finally getting a pristine Honda S800 ( or whatever the Gold reward was in GT4 ) is so much more rewarding than easy access to a Veyron in my opinion.
Besides, that S800 was still available in the used-car lot with a lot of mileage for the casual player to experience.
 
But at least in GT mode I could change the wheels. Arcade mode didn't let you do this.

Perhaps the change could be in Arcade mode. GT once used to be for me, but it's a bit of a risk after all of these years not making changes to the game's structure, as people do move on. It's sometimes easy to forget that communities like here and FM.net are the hardcore fans. The casual market don't sign up to forums to analyse every small detail.

I love cars. I want to love GT5, but I worry it's not quite inclusive enough to players who have experienced other games in the last five years.

Also, in your defense, Arcade Mode has stopped offering every car in the game. Look at GT4; most were only unlocked once you acquired them in GT Mode.

However, there *is* B-Spec Bob to do most of the racing for you to grab credits and cars...
 
Yeah, FM2 was cool because of that. Because to get the REALLY fast cars you'd had to get to level 45-50. I've seen the level rewards, and it seems like as soon as you hit about level 10, you're getting pretty fast cars. Which is kinda stupid. You can just hand out exotics like candy, you gotta make people work for them. That's why I like GT. It takes you a bit to win some cars. And then there are those weird catch22 races. Like the 2CV race. You couldn't buy a 2CV, but if you won the series you got one, so you had to go find another means of obtaining the car.

Totaly agree! Remember that awesome feeling you'd get after getting your dream car? I never beat GT4 because I was stuck at the Pro GT world championship and by the time I knew what I could do to save money, the game got reading errors! :grumpy:
 
Totaly agree! Remember that awesome feeling you'd get after getting your dream car? I never beat GT4 because I was stuck at the Pro GT world championship and by the time I knew what I could do to save money, the game got reading errors! :grumpy:

The way i saved money on GT4 was to enter the special events, and do the second event down the list i think (was a long time ago) complete both of those races in that event and you win a rally car (again, it was a long time ago so i can't remember the name of it) but it sold for around 250,000 credits, thats not bad for only having to win 2 races against an old Peugeot or something :)
 
I hope the guys at GT Auto are a little kinder to the suspension on GT5...:lol:
 
I hope you get to go through and ACTUAL car wash this time instead of the BS from GT1-4.
 
Would be nice, yeah.
 
I'd rather they not do all that silly stylistic nonsense from GT4, personally.
 
Back