GT5 Latest News & Discussion

  • Thread starter Thread starter gamelle71
  • 76,879 comments
  • 10,819,318 views
Well if the rims are modelled correctly then it certainly will change the weight of your car by up to 15kg in some instances. So it is a nice and easy way to alter the weight of your vehicle to suit. Changing rims was a hugely important thing in Forza to squeeze that last bit of performance out of the car when trying to hit a certain PI. It's not a game breaker as some are suggesting but would have been nice to have all cars rims changeable. Bit of an oversite, particularly when PD have been banging on about getting the game perfect.

Are you sure that switching to lightweight rims in Gran Turismo does reduce the weight, and give the advantages of lower unsprung weight as well?
 
Looks like not more videos for the time being then. Maybe Sony want a clear run up to the release party.
 
Kazunori once said in an Interview that "everything will come as a surprise".

I meanwhile doubt that it was a good Idea.

Nonetheless it will be out in the next 2-4 weeks definately.


I am sure that this game will be great as a whole but there also will be things which do not satisfy all of us the more since this has been in development for at least 5 years now. (More correct would be 11 years because it was built on prior releases.)

If the game is out there surely will be a thread of things "we dont like" about it.

The first on my list will be:

- No realtime-day-night cycles for all the tracks
- No weather-changes for all tracks/races
- Bad chase cam view
- No rims for Standard cars
- No cockpit view for Standard cars
...

But still it will be fun to play for a long time.

No doubt about it,

it just seems like with all the extra time they've had to make it that something like changing the wheels on your car (albeit standard) would be a simple task to achieve. Same with removable HUD.
 
Also let me point this out for anyone who's opposed to the idea of some people wanting different wheels on standard cars, Ever heard in the automotive community of something called a RALLY SLAG its a way you can make your car look and some people including myself like that look :)
 
The first on my list will be:

- No realtime-day-night cycles for all the tracks
- No weather-changes for all tracks/races
- Bad chase cam view
- No rims for Standard cars
- No cockpit view for Standard cars
...

- No RUF premium
 
It's going to be hard for me to adjust to exterior view as well. Can you tell me which one works best for you, if you like cockpit view as I do?

It's been hard but I've started to get the hang of using bumper cam. Definitely not the same as being in cockpit, the immersion and feeling you get from sitting inside the car isn't replaced by anything else. Depending on the car, if it is a lower sitting hoodcam I will use that, if it sits higher like a roof cam I will go with the bumper cam. I've started to prepare for the standard cars by using the other views in Prologue.
 
Also let me point this out for anyone who's opposed to the idea of some people wanting different wheels on standard cars, Ever heard in the automotive community of something called a RALLY SLAG its a way you can make your car look and some people including myself like that look :)

Oh don't get me wrong, so do i :), i swapped a set of 17" TSW for a set of standard FX-GT alloys, but its about options. Its about being able to make your car look different to everybody else.
 
Ive been trying to point this out since last night mate but i keep getting flamed on it .. at least 2 of us agree it could be that way

It makes sense. The OME wheels that come on standard cars would be modelled as one solid mesh which means no adjustment. The premium model OME wheels would be modelled in 5-10 seperate pieces so you could adjust diameter, offset etc.
 
Lets just look at GT5 as GT4.5 and GT6 might actually be the game we had been waiting 5 years for

how come you say its like a gt4.5?, what exactly have you been waiting for?, you can't have been expecting complete and utter perfection seriously?, and you should have said 'GT6 might actually be the game I had been waiting 5 years for', sounds like someone has unrealistic expections 💡


If i had the ability and the staff I would be more than happy to show PD where they have gone wrong

but you don't and you don't, PD didn't create this game for just you, where you might think they have gone so wrong others will be happy with what they have created, its all very easy to say I would have done it better. gt5 was never going to meet some of the unrealistic expections some of you guys have. remember you have this running on a machine with only 256Mb of ram + a old old video card in it at 1080p and 60FPS, to me that is pretty amazing. some people will never be pleased with what they get...

and for those who are complaining about the standard cars PD have said the game takes up nearly the full capacity of a blu-ray disc, I expect in the end they didn't have the time or the space or the hardware to create anything more then this, well they could have but expecting 1000 premium cars is unrealistic and PD's effort hardly comes off as being lazy to me.
 
Last edited:
Are you sure that switching to lightweight rims in Gran Turismo does reduce the weight, and give the advantages of lower unsprung weight as well?

I haven't got GT5 in my hands so can't tell you that. But I would hope that switching to different rims from different manufacturers would reduce the weight as that is what happens in the real world. I'd be dissapointed if it didn't as it's an excellent tool to hit the sweetspot of a build.
 
Oh don't get me wrong, so do i :), i swapped a set of 17" TSW for a set of standard FX-GT alloys, but its about options. Its about being able to make your car look different to everybody else.

But we cant do that with standards that's what i'm so cheesed off about, On GT4 my most used car was a Mitsubishi Evo 8 made that I made with that look in mind but it looks like i cant do that now :(, And on the idea of making your car look different that's why so many different aftermarket wheel designs have been made to please just about everyone :p
 
It's been hard but I've started to get the hang of using bumper cam. Definitely not the same as being in cockpit, the immersion and feeling you get from sitting inside the car isn't replaced by anything else. Depending on the car, if it is a lower sitting hoodcam I will use that, if it sits higher like a roof cam I will go with the bumper cam. I've started to prepare for the standard cars by using the other views in Prologue.

There is a solution :D
 
It's been hard but I've started to get the hang of using bumper cam. Definitely not the same as being in cockpit, the immersion and feeling you get from sitting inside the car isn't replaced by anything else. Depending on the car, if it is a lower sitting hoodcam I will use that, if it sits higher like a roof cam I will go with the bumper cam. I've started to prepare for the standard cars by using the other views in Prologue.

Thanks for the advice. I'm hesitant about practicing for GT5 on different physics, though. I really wish they'd have kept the PSN download with the 370Zs playable!

Chase and roof cams sometimes give AMAZING sounds, especially in mid-engine cars. I usually switch to chase cam on long straightaways.
 
It makes sense. The OME wheels that come on standard cars would be modelled as one solid mesh which means no adjustment. The premium model OME wheels would be modelled in 5-10 seperate pieces so you could adjust diameter, offset etc.

I really hope you guys are right, but i just don't see it being true. It says "You cant change the wheels on a standard model car" not, "you cant edit standard wheels" because your theory would apply to both standard and premium cars.

Edit: sorry, i didn't read your post correctly, but i still don't think you will be able to edit stock wheels.
 
So guys. I have just been watching the car dealership video again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnkhgWN8r4E

Link to one, have a look at 0.06 in the bottom left corner there is a button, it looks gold, but the guy quickly moves away from it. Is it possible that this button swaps between the PREMIUM and STANDARD car dealers? He went away from it too quickly, but there was a dialogue box with "mouse over text" appearing. This might be our missing link between the standard and premium cars!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StiC6cSyOgc

It's hovered over for longer in this video, but you can't read the text still. However it seems to go back to the previous menu.

Unless the guy pressed like the cancel button not the select button on it?
 
Come on guy's,please stop it !the launch party has been fixed for 23/11/2010 so it's obvious that the game will be out this year!
 
Are you sure that switching to lightweight rims in Gran Turismo does reduce the weight, and give the advantages of lower unsprung weight as well?

The photo says so. If they are going to the trouble of including barometric pressure and humidity I think the wheel weight would be taken into account.
 
how come you say its like a gt4.5?, what exactly have you been waiting for?, you can't have been expecting complete and utter perfection seriously?, and you should have said 'GT6 might actually be the game I had been waiting 5 years for', sounds like someone has unrealistic expections 💡




but you don't and you don't, PD didn't create this game for just you, where you might think they have gone so wrong others will be happy with what they have created, its all very easy to say I would have done it better. gt5 was never going to meet some of the unrealistic expections some of you guys have. remember you have this running on a machine with only 256Mb of ram + a old old video card in it at 1080p and 60FPS, to me that is pretty amazing. some people will never be pleased with what they get...

and for those who are complaining about the standard cars PD have said the game takes up nearly the full capacity of a blu-ray disc, I expect in the end they didn't have the time or the space or the hardware to create anything more then this, expecting 1000 premium cars is unrealistic, and PD's effort hardly comes off as being lazy to me.

I second this. 👍 Someone who talks sense, and not a dreamer. If any of you think you can design a console/or disc that will run your ideas then go ahead and get some notes pencilled. I look forward to watching this forum when its release it delayed.
 
how come you say its like a gt4.5?, what exactly have you been waiting for?, you can't have been expecting complete and utter perfection seriously?, and you should have said 'GT6 might actually be the game I had been waiting 5 years for', sounds like someone has unrealistic expections 💡




but you don't and you don't, PD didn't create this game for just you, where you might think they have gone so wrong others will be happy with what they have created, its all very easy to say I would have done it better. gt5 was never going to meet some of the unrealistic expections some of you guys have. remember you have this running on a machine with only 256Mb of ram + a old old video card in it at 1080p and 60FPS, to me that is pretty amazing. some people will never be pleased with what they get...

and for those who are complaining about the standard cars PD have said the game takes up nearly the full capacity of a blu-ray disc, I expect in the end they didn't have the time or the space or the hardware to create anything more then this, expecting 1000 premium cars is unrealistic, and PD's effort hardly comes off as being lazy to me.

Well to say that 80% of the cars are from GT4 after 5 years of development i'm not the only person that expected more, as ive said think of it as GT4.5 so now it doesn't sound all that amazing on this generation of console :)
 
I bet, $1,000,000 you are wrong!

Oh, I'll be rich then... will see. (Can we agree to € ?)
 
Last edited:
I really hope you guys are right, but i just don't see it being true. It says "You cant change the wheels on a standard model car" not, "you cant edit standard wheels" because your theory would apply to both standard and premium cars.

Edit: sorry, i didn't read your post correctly, but i still don't think you will be able to edit stock wheels.

I think they have just used a poor choice of words. Instead of change it should say modify. The key word in the image is or.

33a5wds.jpg
 
Well to say that 80% of the cars are from GT4 after 5 years of development i'm not the only person that expected more, as ive said think of it as GT4.5 so now it doesn't sound all that amazing on this generation of console :)

The volume of cars added for GT4 was staggering. You cannot expect them to make a comparable leap in new cars for GT5 and still have a GUI on the disc to view them!
 
I think they have just used a poor choice of words. Instead of change it should say modify. The key word in the image is or.


I think when it says "change your cars existing set" it means back to stock, or with other wheels you have in stock. Not Physically "change" them.

After all, this will take us to the screen where we buy the wheels = "Buy new wheels"
 
I think they have just used a poor choice of words. Instead of change it should say modify. The key word in the image is or.

33a5wds.jpg

How anyone can interpret that as anything but the wheels a standard cars comes with are the only ones it can have I have no idea.
 
How anyone can interpret that as anything but the wheels a standard cars comes with are the only ones it can have I have no idea.

How you cant see the point we are making baffles me as well but we will all find out when sony finally lets us all have the game
 
The volume of cars added for GT4 was staggering. You cannot expect them to make a comparable leap in new cars for GT5 and still have a GUI on the disc to view them!

I'm not denying that at all I even payed over the odds when GT4 was released I wanted it that badly but still it does by the sounds of it seem to be a modified GT4 if i'm proven wrong ill happily eat my own hat :)
 
The volume of cars added for GT4 was staggering. You cannot expect them to make a comparable leap in new cars for GT5 and still have a GUI on the disc to view them!

I don't think modelling the cars is the problem, I do it for a living. It takes about 2-3 weeks to model a car to this poly count. The problem is storage.
 
If the game is out there surely will be a thread of things "we dont like" about it.

The first on my list will be:

- No realtime-day-night cycles for all the tracks
- No weather-changes for all tracks/races
- Bad chase cam view
- No rims for Standard cars
- No cockpit view for Standard cars
...

But still it will be fun to play for a long time.

Check.

A few months ago, when it was confirmed that Standard cars didn't support cockpit view (at E3 or TGS I suppose), I was (and still am) one of the biggest critics about it here (see my signature placed since then...). At the time I said that my interpretation of it was that standard cars were nothing but a "tool" used to not be behind competition in the car-list numbers.

All these latest news we are getting do enhance that opinion of mine.

The GT5 project was a HUGE project and it bears the burden of being the series (full) showcase of PS3 potential mix with PD's cutting edge work. I fear that graphics and physics wise the project was so immense and take so much of PS3's capabilities that in order to have all these new outstanding features (highly detailed HD cars, damage, tracks and weather and night/day transitions) the total car toll and track toll would be lower than what you would find expectable, considering the series last instalment, GT4.

So basically I believe that at some point PD faced a dilemma: release a cutting edge game with all this immense features but showing only less than half of the cars and tracks of GT4; or add to it upgraded tracks and cars from GT4 without those cutting edge features on them.

Opinions are divided and both ways are legitimate, I reckon. Me personally, considering the brands franchise historical obsession with perfection (as possible) and detail, believe that they would do a better job by keeping its tradition and release the game with premium car/tracks only. In my opinion it would be much more acceptable to take a game with lesser cars and tracks, sacrificed for the inclusion of those all new cutting edge and unmatched features present in the game, rather then add to those upscaled PS2 models (no matter how good they look in-game), but that will lack those new exciting features. In resume, I believe the correct way would be to do with GT5 what happened with GT3. Sales figures of the past instalments seems to agree with my opinion that this would be well understand and accepted by the public.

The way they choose to go, legitimate as I said previously, does however give the sensation (disturbing) of incoherence, and inconsistency of the game. A game that above all praises the AUTOMOBILE and its history shouldn't ever treat distinctively treat cars between 1st class and 2nd class categories. GT5 seems to do so.
 
Back