GT5 Latest News & Discussion

  • Thread starter Thread starter gamelle71
  • 76,879 comments
  • 10,819,796 views
This is the PS3 we are talking about. Its not easy to makes technically proficient games for it.

It even runs at a high resolution 1280*1080p and 60fps too, what PD have achieved is really wonderful and if you go through the GT5 feature list it is immense.

Credit to neogaf.

Night/Day transition (on a total of 3 tracks.)
Stunt Arenas
32 player online lobbies
16 player online races
Online clan/Clubs (but no livery editor so no proper distinction or identification\team colors)
Spectator mode (does nothing to gameplay)
Dynamic Weather (snow, rain, fog, star orbit) (on a total of 8 tracks)
Ingame weather forecasts not perfect, randomized code PD can't control (for those 8 tracks)
200+ PS4 cars and 800+ standard cars (not all cars are moddable wheel restrictions on 800 of them, with standards seeing a more restricted damage system)
Nascar license (so far squandered on a few liveries, 2 long ovals and pitstop animation, one third of a full field, no truck series no Vintage cars.)
WRC license (infinite tracks due to track generator, codriver really needed) (most promising license despite having very few cars and only one class, no J\P\S1600 classes.)
Super GT license (without multi-class races, the GT300 class is underpowered and useless against the GT500 class)
Rolling and damage (80% of cars are limited damage models)
1st person walkabout photo mode
18MegaPixel photomode
Stereoscopic 3D photos
Online photo sharing
YouTube uploading
(above 5 do nothing for "gameplay")
1080p
PS Eye headtracking
Motion controls
HDMI 1.4 Stereoscopic 3D @ 60fps
Split-screen (probably at reduced resolution like GT4)
Share cars and upgrades with friends
Track Generator
Custom track sharing
Best graphics in any driving game (lighting, physics driven smoke, attention to detail..etc)
Real life tracks recreated in maddening quality (up to 2 year dev times) (city tracks come at the cost of real circuits\roads, are over emphasized and under appreciated)
20+ locations with 70+ variations
PSP Connectivity (so we can play all the tracks we miss dearly from big brother)
Go karts to Rally to classics to sport to Drag car, ordinary cars...etc etc etc (lack of Karting venues\layouts, lack of drag strips)
Animated drivers, handling and gear shifts, pit crews, tire changes etc
Custom soundtrack
Text and Voice chat
Narrative involvement by popular drivers and Top Gear crew
Top Gear Test Track(novelty, no stig and no reasonably priced car=pointless)
Open free-form Track Days
GT Life (career mode, this time with earth map and real time clock) & Arcade mode
Profile pages
B-Spec Mode where you manage a team of A.I racers
Borrow your trained A.I drivers to friends
In-game (bulletin-board) message boards
Gran Turismo Video store (Top Gear Show has 350+ million viewers) (so they can have MORE money)
License Tests!
Individual Photo locations (such as Red bull hanger)!
Collaboration with Red bull on the X1!

A bit of devils advocate. 👍 Of course some features\points are irrefutable.
 
Last edited:
I hope they got Cosmo Purple right for GT5.. it was far too light in GT4. (Talking about the Commy SS by the way).

Pre ordered my copy of GT5 today, first time I've ever pre ordered a game. So I've got some Peace-of-mind now. I know I wont have to battle the mad early morning rush or have to worry about getting there and they've run out. At this time, I feel nervous but at the same time relaxed, I wouldn't go as far as saying relieved yet but when I've got the game home I will.

Sorry I am babbling on a fair bit here. But yeah got my pre order. Less than two weeks til I can build some track weapons. Track GTRs, Track Evos, rally spec Evos, Drag spec GTRs and WRXs, Monaro drifter..

Men..let it begin. :D
 
Wangan 👍
And now that you mentioned Honda's, I would think that it would be better to just bring the Honda's, Skyline's, the Z's and S's, Supra's...etc. :sly:

4 In each class 👍 i'm down for that.
 
I hate ungrateful kids, I'm not sure how I feel about ungrateful grown ups tho.. let's start posting positive remarks. I go first: I love the x1
 
I don't know where you heard that from, but it doesn't take 3 months to make one car, unless you're doing a bunch of other things at the same time.

You're right. Ive got 15 years of experience using Maya and 3DS Max, it doesnt take 3 months to model anything in this world.
 
221, actually. You can't really exclude the RMs as they really are completely new cars. Kaz mentioned this being the reason it wasn't in GT3 and 4.

RM cars are basically stock cars, modified. You wanna know what RM cars will be like, look at the TUNED cars in GT5P. Now to me, a tuner car is not a RACE MODDED car, maybe if done to the extreme but even then, RM cars as they are now, look to be nothing more than what we should be able to do with proper aero/power/handling mods, assuming we have those available in GT5.
 
The track list wasn't a pleasant surprise to me. The car list was kind of disappointing.

There were a lot of tracks I thought we had proof were in the game that are absent from the list. The fact that there are damn near one hundred Skylines yet no Koenigsegg... :grumpy: We really need that many Skylines!? What the hell!? Four would have been more than enough. It's not like it's all that revolutionary and it's not like they change that drastically from year to year. I don't know who's the genius that thought we'd be excited over more variations of ONE CAR than we can count on our fingers and toes but to me it's completely ridiculous.

They finally get the rights to Ferrari and they have more models of ONE CAR than the entire Ferrari lineup which is full of high performance supercars and cars with deep historical value that shaped the high performance automotive world from Ferrari's beginning to the present. Stupid, stupid, stupid...

With all that said, when I think of GT5 I am not sitting here grinding my teeth over the car lineup or the track options. We got a TRACK CREATOR! I'm still amazed they decided to go that route and actually pulled it off. Limitless possibilities!

We're getting some of the best racing physics(from the sound of it, THE BEST) in console racing history and I would bet this game will give a lot of computer simulators a run for their money. Over one thousand cars! Sure, I would have swapped a few out for a different car if it was up to me but still, this gives us an amazing selection.

Does Forza 3 have more "premium" cars? Well... i guess? Sit and look at the detail between the two, though. There is no comparing Forza's premium cars to GT5's. I'll put good money down that even the standard cars from GT5 look better externally than Forza's. Yes, no internal view sucks but I find myself using that view less and less. I can already see a wheel in front of me(my G25). Seeing two is just.. odd. I know many of you like that view, however so it would be nice if all the cars had it. No wheel changes on standards is odd to me but I don't think it's going to affect the game much for me. Visible damage on premiums only... Again, it sucks but we can't have the world.

We now get NASCAR with the full NASCAR ruleset(I could really give two squirts of you know what less about NASCAR but I'll still enjoy it). Rally racing with dirt and snow is like a whole new game. I would have liked day and night, rain and shine on all of the paved tracks but the fact that we now get it on many of the tracks is going to be a blast. Completely revamped B-Spec mode with the ability to race B-Spec from a computer is going to be awesome.

Is a lot of the news we got a bit of a let down for me? I suppose but it takes nothing away from the excitement that I will be holding the game in my hands in less than two weeks. No matter how well they make GT5 there is always going to be something I don't like. I'm not letting it get me down, however. I am still extremely excited to hear it's going to be out this month. If these little issues are deal breakers for some of you that's sad to hear. I know Kaz and the guys at PD put their heart and soul into GT5 and I know it will be worth the wait. I hope you come around and give it a chance. Once you get over the minor issues I bet it'll be a game we can all enjoy... IMMENSELY.

edit: I know this post isn't exactly "news" but I'm seeing a ton of posts in this thread that are borderline pouting over the recently revealed lists and some of aspects of certain features. Come on, I know we all were looking forward to certain things that didn't make the final game(that we know of) but posting facts and discussing them is one thing, talking down the guys at PD and crying about it is another. Lets get excited! We'll be racing in 11 days!
 
I'm kinda disappointed but I don't get why....
GT5P was my first GT game and so most of the 1000 cars are new to me, and i had already accepted the fact that i'm likely to be using only 200 of those cars because the longest ive ever spent on a racing game was Project Gotham Racing 2 which had 109 cars and WAY less features than this game. I'd rather not have Porsches than to have them, i hate seeing them on the track because for the last 40 years they have had that same body ship and in my opinion it's not a very attractive one. And I don't really mind the tracks list lol they delivered 20+ locations like they promised :)

But I'm disappointed..Why? probably because i hear you guys talk about the game's flaws and look over everything else and it rubs off on me :indiff: Also no Bugatti Veyron, Diablo, Gallardo 2008, Ferrari 360, F50, Ascari....etc :sly:


Actually the Bugatti and the Diablo are in.
 
You're right. Ive got 15 years of experience using Maya and 3DS Max, it doesnt take 3 months to model anything in this world.

add in low poly, uv unwrapping, texture mapping, internal modeling, damage model. I wouldnt doubt it getting pretty close.
 
Im sure youll be able to do any of the tuning. As for race body kits probably not.

Personally what you can/cant do to standard cars doesnt bother me because I only drive from the interior view.

Sucks for you then. You only be able to do that with the premiums.
 
I don't know where you heard that from, but it doesn't take 3 months to make one car, unless you're doing a bunch of other things at the same time.
You're right. Ive got 15 years of experience using Maya and 3DS Max, it doesnt take 3 months to model anything in this world.
I've only got 5 years experience with Maya and Max and that is true, but perhaps he was referring to the whole process from the photo shoot to the final rendering?
 
What happened?

Last week everyone was dying for some information.


Now we've got a date, track list and car list and now nobody can do anything but nitpick the hell out of them.


Crazy how things change

You got that right. For people that have been with the series from GT1, we don't understand how you can't grow with the times accordingly. You can't go from having this track or that track to not having it all. I know there were a few absent since GT2 but come on, there is no excuse to not have the popular Originals in there. You all know the 3-4 tracks I am referring to. As I said before though, I think this official list is only the practice/starting tracks. I am hopeful that there are unlockables as we progress to the high levels. GT has not let us down in the past for the most part so I don't see why they'd start now. Otherwise Reviews and critics will rip PD and Sony apart for the absent content.
 
Last edited:
We really need that many Skylines!? What the hell!? Four would have been more than enough.

:crazy: I've heard this epic Skyline rage before, but it seems almost mean to suggest thinning the herd down to 4 (FOUR). I can think of about a dozen Skylines off-hand that MUST be in any Gran Turismo title.

It's the all the 4x4 wagons that always get on my nerves. No need for utility in a racing sim, sorry!
 
You're right. Ive got 15 years of experience using Maya and 3DS Max, it doesnt take 3 months to model anything in this world.

If you know what your doing and that's what you do for a living, true. Now me, it would take 3 months but I am soooo rusty. I haven't used 3d Max in 6 years. I never even got to learn Maya, although I have access to it. But since I last used it equals the amount of time PD took to make this, there are sooo many environments that could have been put out.
 
wish some of the member here stop complaining and start planning what to do in this massive game

Alright, lets get a big race together.

Special Stage Route 7
No Race Cars
Anything goes

It's gonna be Wangan Midnight all over again.
 
"“Gran Turismo 5 is an ambitious project, with challenges and complexities which have made it our version of the Apollo Space Program!” commented Kazunori Yamauchi, President of Polyphony Digital Inc."

For those people who are bitching about gt5 wether it's about the cars or supposedly lack of tracks ,not enough new features etc too long in development.

It would be nice if you could actually acknowledge Kaz and his team and all the hard work they have put into the project,which has obviously proved enormously challenging for them with lots of difficulties along the way.

Just a thought mind:indiff:
 
Keep available disc space in mind, people.

Yeah. I'm glad I got the 120GB PS3. And I've been clearing things off that I don't play anymore. Should have about 20-30GB left after installing GT5...LONG install. I guess that's the first thing I'll do. That's good, though, 'cause I can start it intalling, get some sleep and play a little in the morning before packing to head to my sister's for Thnaksgiving.
 
He was talking about the BLU RAY not your HDD.
 
Yeah. I'm glad I got the 120GB PS3. And I've been clearing things off that I don't play anymore. Should have about 20-30GB left after installing GT5...LONG install. I guess that's the first thing I'll do. That's good, though, 'cause I can start it intalling, get some sleep and play a little in the morning before packing to head to my sister's for Thnaksgiving.

that would be disK space :)
 
He was talking about the BLU RAY not your HDD.

From what was mentioned at that conference by the PSN lady, it sounds like GT5 is on a dual layer, 50GB disc...which...I believe is the first PS3 game to use a dual layer disc.

At least, that's what I got from "there won't be many games like Gran Turismo 5 that use the 50GB discs."
 
From what was mentioned at that conference by the PSN lady, it sounds like GT5 is on a dual layer, 50GB disc...which...I believe is the first PS3 game to use a dual layer disc.

At least, that's what I got from "there won't be many games like Gran Turismo 5 that use the 50GB discs."

It's not the first.
 
Forza Motorsport 3 Ultimate Collection has 500+ cars with interior and damage.
 
It's not the first.

You're right:

Dual-layer Blue ray games:

God of War 3
Final Fantasy XIII
MGS4
(those two are strange 'cause they then had to stuff them onto a 8GB DVD-ROM
GT5

Not a long list.
 
Forza Motorsport 3 Ultimate Collection has 500+ cars with interior and damage.

Yeah. I like wolves, but I don't like fanboys comin' in and doing this crap. If you don't like GT5, don't buy it and shut up about it.
 
Back