GT5 Latest News & Discussion

  • Thread starter Thread starter gamelle71
  • 76,879 comments
  • 10,819,318 views
Just to let any of you know that were trying to enter into the sweepstakes earlier for the watch, they fixed the zip code error. Just figured I'd drop back in and say that.

those of you that haven't entered..

http://us.playstation.com/psn/events/granturismotissot.html

It's pretty neat, free chance at that watch, msrp 500 bucks, can guarantee you'd get more after you won it, I personally wouldn't sell it, I'd collect it, I still have all my guides from GT1-4 un opened discs of GT1-4 in the non greatest hits boxes, all original before they went greatest hits. and of course Ive got my opened copies to play.
 
Your not watching the race tomorrow then.
Millions of others are.

Including me.

C'mon Alonso! To be honest I'd love to see the dramatic kind of race that would lead to the unthinkable and Hamilton taking it. As much as I'm a Ferrari fan I love F1 for the drama and frankly all the drivers these days are very likeable for different reasons and they all equally deserve it, it's just their cars and those split second decisions that decide things one way or another. I don't care what anyone says, F1 in recent seasons has been very dramatic, action filled and full of brilliant races in spite of some of Tilke's occasionally dull track designs (though the Austin track looks potentially spectacular).

To get back on topic, what I'm saying here is I'm so glad GT and Yamauchi embrace F1 and as much as I'm definitely of the European persuasion when it comes to my driving/motorsports tastes, I'm happy to embrace Nascar for as much as I shake my head at the perhaps lack of 'class' surrounding it, it most definitely is incredibly challenging, and incredibly dangerous and fair play to them. I think racing it will be more enjoyable than watching it ever could be, so bring it on!
 
The thing i dislike about NASCAR is that (typical of Americans) they take a sport such as motor racing and try to apply their own bigger is better, we're larger than life attitude to it.
For me motor racing is about skillfully directing a car through a series of corners, each one challenging you in a different way, I don't see how NASCAR racing fits this mould, sure it might be entertaining for some people, and I'm no person to judge what someone else enjoys, but NASCAR doesn't belong in a DRIVING simulator game.

You don't think corners on oval tracks are challenging? People really don't understand just how bumpy and different some of these corners are. Especially when its the key place to make up time and the majority of drivers are separated by less then a second. Again I wish people would go and play iracing or the likes before opening their mouths about nascar.
 
Nice photomode pic - looks quite realistic

nurburgring24hgallardol.jpg
 
Wow, damage and collision physics are a joke!
Was it that hard to make a slider from beginner-medium-realistic regarding the damage?? This is cartoon-like, you can smash into ongoing traffic at over 200mph and the worst you'll get is a slightly dented bumper??? That's some seriously weak crap...
 
Wow, damage and collision physics are a joke!
Was it that hard to make a slider from beginner-medium-realistic regarding the damage?? This is cartoon-like, you can smash into ongoing traffic at over 200mph and the worst you'll get is a slightly dented bumper??? That's some seriously weak crap...

something's not adding up. According to top gear mag they said teh damage was realistic with "debris on the road"and nascar damage was a little more detailed "rear of the windshield can be shattered.

Maybe you have to reach a certain level in before you can see such things..
 
I have a quick question and was wondering if anyone could answer it for me. I have tried to find the answer relentlessly, but to no avail.

I hear you CANNOT modify "standard" cars. Is this true? If so, does this mean I cannot change the wheels or modify the performance aspect of the vehicle whatsoever?

I would love a final answer on this because this determines whether or not I buy the game.

Thanks guys!
 
something's not adding up. According to top gear mag they said teh damage was realistic with "debris on the road"and nascar damage was a little more detailed "rear of the windshield can be shattered.

Maybe you have to reach a certain level in before you can see such things..

At first it was a demo ... then never the final built ... then THE game ... and then it is a level ... They failed at damage ! ... I'm sure people who did ask for damage in GT5 ... never wanted 1/10 damage modeling ! .... But we saw some more intense damage on 458 italia ... let's hope it is the level thing !
 
Veyron has a faster top speed than the Red bull X1 IIRC.

Higher top speed maybe , faster top speed no. But we don't know what tranny modification we can do to this car. We have to play it first. I got my money on the x1. Bugatti is over rated.
 
At first it was a demo ... then never the final built ... then THE game ... and then it is a level ... They failed at damage ! ... I'm sure people who did ask for damage in GT5 ... never wanted 1/10 damage modeling ! .... But we saw some more intense damage on 458 italia ... let's hope it is the level thing !

If it weren't something that was stated from top gear team themselves then I'd be pretty doubtful by now, but because the statement comes from another party that leaves some hope.
 
Now that everything has calmed down in here, I would like to point out something that was brought during all of the video leaks before the announcement of the release date. There was a trophy for "using telemetry" or some thing like that. Telemetry is used by F1, WRC and NASCAR (during testing). There are sensors in the car that send data to recording devices. This data is downloaded and analyzed by crew chiefs and engineers to adjust shocks, injection schedules, tire temps, wheel travel. In the most advanced of these systems their are 250 channels of data that can be captured. If you watch WRC or F1 on SPEED channel and wondered what all of those guys sitting in the trailers are watching on their monitors, it is this data. If Polyphony Digital incorporated this into Gran Turismo 5, it would explain why they would refer to this as their apollo program. The thought of this being available in B-spec is incredible enough, but if it is available in A-spec to be able use the data to tune your car, take it back out and compare the new data and the new "feel" of the car, then this is truly a major advance in racing games.
 
Anyone figure out how to unlock the X1 yet?

My plan is to get it first and race it online so I'm first in rankings.
 
Now that everything has calmed down in here, I would like to point out something that was brought during all of the video leaks before the announcement of the release date. There was a trophy for "using telemetry" or some thing like that. Telemetry is used by F1, WRC and NASCAR (during testing). There are sensors in the car that send data to recording devices. This data is downloaded and analyzed by crew chiefs and engineers to adjust shocks, injection schedules, tire temps, wheel travel. In the most advanced of these systems their are 250 channels of data that can be captured. If you watch WRC or F1 on SPEED channel and wondered what all of those guys sitting in the trailers are watching on their monitors, it is this data. If Polyphony Digital incorporated this into Gran Turismo 5, it would explain why they would refer to this as their apollo program. The thought of this being available in B-spec is incredible enough, but if it is available in A-spec to be able use the data to tune your car, take it back out and compare the new data and the new "feel" of the car, then this is truly a major advance in racing games.

An app to manage all this on your phone would be amazing. Sounds really promising if it is the case.
 
Any more news on Racing Modifications guys?
 
An app to manage all this on your phone would be amazing. Sounds really promising if it is the case.

I'm really hoping for some cool apps. I could play GT5 while I'm at work, lol.

Manage my cars, do tuning, do some B-spec racing and training and stuff. Trade cars with friends, check leaderboards, etc.

There's so much that could be done with an Android phone (Droid X here).
 
Any more news on Racing Modifications guys?

Only that you have to unlock them in career mode. Along with several other things like cars, tracks, features and races.
 
The thing i dislike about NASCAR is that (typical of Americans) they take a sport such as motor racing and try to apply their own bigger is better, we're larger than life attitude to it.
For me motor racing is about skillfully directing a car through a series of corners, each one challenging you in a different way, I don't see how NASCAR racing fits this mould, sure it might be entertaining for some people, and I'm no person to judge what someone else enjoys, but NASCAR doesn't belong in a DRIVING simulator game.

I am not a huge NASCAR fan myself, but I will watch it from time to time given the chance. Your words are harsh. Someone can think the same about F1. Just because its an oval track doesn't mean its not worthy of a simulator game. How much fun have you had in GT4 on the oval tracks, trying to lap someone and seeing how fast you can take corners. Its pretty fun if you ask me. Racing side by side, staying in the draft, and proper overtaking technique isn't as easy as you may think.
 
Unless u plan on playing 24/7 after the release date u WILL fail in that plan.

First, it's "you". Second of all, somebody has to be first, how do you know it won't be him?

He might be a really fast driver, but not fast enough to beat EVERYONE who plays. If he gets there before the majority of the fast people it's possible he could set the time for a while.
 
I'm getting the game @ 12 am. 👍
 
Why? They're only missing The Dodge Charger NASCARs and that wouldn't be that hard to add.

If they do a NASCAR pack, I'd rather have the Mustang, Challenger, Camry and Impala SS Car of Tomorrows.
I'm not worried about the Chargers not being in, only 4 drivers in NASCAR drive Dodges anyway. My problem is that with those last 5 spots they could have added some GREAT drivers who are in Chevys, Fords, and Toyotas. Mark Martin, David Ragan, Kevin Harvick, Matt Kenseth, Jeff Burton just to name a few. PD only would have needed to add 5 more NASCAR drivers and we'd be all set. I wouldn't be complaining. It just bothers me that they were OK with releasing the game with NASCAR races that have repeat cars in the field.

Something to think about: SuperGT has at least 16 different cars in-game, why shouldn't NASCAR? NASCAR was marketed much more heavily! It just doesn't make sense.
 
Who the heck is thisguy? I attended my first F1 race this year. According to you I was very lucky, because I met A LOT of F1 fans as the event was sold out.

He's someone that hasn't a clue what he's talking about. F1 is the most popular motorsport in the world and one of the most watched sporting events worldwide. Its popularity is growing in the states as well.

First, it's "you". Second of all, somebody has to be first, how do you know it won't be him?

He might be a really fast driver, but not fast enough to beat EVERYONE who plays. If he gets there before the majority of the fast people it's possible he could set the time for a while.

He said he wants to be THE FIRST to get it. You know there are a lot of people out there that will be playing this game nonstop for weeks as well as apartments with groups of friends that are going to share an account. I can't say I know he wont but I would put a thousand bucks down that it wont be him.
 
Only that you have to unlock them in career mode. Along with several other things like cars, tracks, features and races.
I think you broke my sarcasm detector.
 
Back