GT5 multi screen support confirmed

• Thread starter SETWAVE
  • 298 comments
F1 2007
2j4zl34.jpg
Me likey!!
What a field of view!!
That photo is what I hope the bumper cam will look like, of course without the vehicle.

I'm not too keen on the right and left side views in cockpit though.
It is realistic but I wouldn't like this current view that PD has set up.
Maybe PD could change the proportions a little, make the left opening smaller and the right interior a bit bigger and visa/versa for the right hand drives.
For now the right side is just about useless for driving, unless your sitting in the middle of the vehicle. like the F1.

I haven't tried yet but I'm thinking the bumper view will give the 90 degrees in either direction versus the (what seems to me) 30 to 45 degree angle the cockpit view gives.

Anyway great work, Mr Latte. 👍

No problems....
It was fun seeing this in action as I had thought about doing it a long time ago but never got round to it.

Its a shame Prologue doesnt match up well and almost half of the centre screen is repeated on the other side screens which isnt the way proper multiscreen would be. However we get an idea of how nice it could be. Bumper view didnt work yes your correct because you get what seems more of a 90 degrees side view than a peripheral view.

Who knows what the full game will support though.

Is this for real? I have been looking all over to see if GT5 will support 3 screens?

I know there was that thing with GT4 and Time Trial only. GT5 surely won't be like that, will it?

I already have the monitors, I just need to buy the PS3's. So my questions are, do I just need 3 PS3's + 3 copies of GT5? Is that all.

Thanks.

I have never used a 3 D tv, but that still doesn't give you the peripheral vision that 3 screens give you.

I'm sure it is pretty immersive, but having the two extra screens fill your peripheral vision is simply amazing. I can't go without 3 screens now, I feel so restricted.

That is why I would like to know if three screens is actually possible with GT5. :)

Right now I race strictly PC sims, but I would really like to try GT5 out, it looks like it is going to be awesome.

I mainly race on iRacing. Here is a video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOOOcOCZyUo

It would be great, we just have to wait for a conformation or November 2, which ever comes first.

Probably the 2nd. ;)

I have never used a 3 D tv, but that still doesn't give you the peripheral vision that 3 screens give you.

I'm sure it is pretty immersive, but having the two extra screens fill your peripheral vision is simply amazing. I can't go without 3 screens now, I feel so restricted.

That is why I would like to know if three screens is actually possible with GT5. :)

Right now I race strictly PC sims, but I would really like to try GT5 out, it looks like it is going to be awesome.

I mainly race on iRacing. Here is a video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOOOcOCZyUo

Nice!

Question though, why the missalignment between screens? It seems there is a few inches between screens that aren't drawn in... I would think with a PC it would be pretty much seemless...

Very good driving and excellent vid. Those gloves look very hot though.

Nice!

Question though, why the missalignment between screens? It seems there is a few inches between screens that aren't drawn in... I would think with a PC it would be pretty much seemless...

The right side looks weird because of the angle of the camera.

The left side where the monitors meet is a good display of iRacing's bezel management. Imagine that the roll cage is actually behind the bezel's of my monitors, that is what bezel management does, instead of creating a picture that doesn't line up it is basically an overlay.

Nice!

based on the Inside Sim Racing review of the ATI EyeFinity (sp) vid card I would guess that the person did not optimize the image settings (assuming they can do this with their hardware/setup) to be displayed over three monitors.

One question I've been asking myself and will pose to GTP, back some time ago PD showed off GT5p at Downshift Session 2008 running at a resolution of 3840x2160 using 3 PS3s I wonder if this will also be included for those who have the cash for the display capable and the PS3s. This would be of more interest to me than the wider aspect view. Maybe the higher res demo was just a test for 3 screen situation we have now?

PD showed off GT5p at Downshift Session 2008 running at a resolution of 3840x2160 using 3 PS3s I wonder if this will also be included for those who have the cash for the display capable and the PS3s. This would be of more interest to me than the wider aspect view. Maybe the higher res demo was just a test for 3 screen situation we have now?

This was a tech demo but used high end video genlock equipment to take the 4x PS3 inputs and generate 1x video output which was displayed on the ultra high end projector at 240 fps. Basically each PS3 only generated a 1/4 of the screen. Yes it means in the past PD have had a game working over multiple consoles. However even though PS3 has the technical abilty to do it as had PS2. This doesnt mean GT5 will include the feature particulary as Sony may see it as something that might distract from the 3DTV hoo haa.

Personally I dont think we will find out if it is supported until the game is released.
Howver Ive requested a few people including DG @ SRT try to find out from an Official Sony representative.

PSM is the only article to mention it will be supported but then again they were wrong on a few things such as Indy Cars.

One question I've been asking myself and will pose to GTP, back some time ago PD showed off GT5p at Downshift Session 2008 running at a resolution of 3840x2160 using 3 PS3s I wonder if this will also be included for those who have the cash for the display capable and the PS3s. This would be of more interest to me than the wider aspect view. Maybe the higher res demo was just a test for 3 screen situation we have now?

This was a tech demo but used high end video genlock equipment to take the 4x PS3 inputs and generate 1x video output which was displayed on the ultra high end projector at 240 fps. Basically each PS3 only generated a 1/4 of the screen. Yes it means in the past PD have had a game working over multiple consoles. However even though PS3 has the technical abilty to do it as had PS2. This doesnt mean GT5 will include the feature particulary as Sony may see it as something that might distract from the 3DTV hoo haa.

Personally I dont think we will find out if it is supported until the game is released.
Howver Ive requested a few people including DG @ SRT try to find out from an Official Sony representative.

PSM is the only article to mention it will be supported but then again they were wrong on a few things such as Indy Cars.
Isn't this the thread?

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=112382

It's a shame because it would have been nice to see running at such a res over a big screen. I suppose if someone can think of a way on utilizing one of these it would be cool, I also dislike the bezel getting in the way I suppose you would get used to it, but I just cant help but feel it would distract from the realism a little.

4a.jpg

Anyone has info about 5.1 or 7.1 surround sound headphones? As well how to hook it up to the PS3.
Would you be interested in a good headset.
They are not actually 5.1 or 7.1, but I just got this headset and they sound great with COD4.
Here is their link.
It uses the USB and fiber optic hookup.

After seeing the newest build so far at the expo (WRC Finland) I really am looking forward to the 3 screen setup. It will be amazing. Even the 1 screen can now give a good sense of speed, can't wait to see it in full 3 screen glory 👍

Man if gt5 really does support multiple screens to be played on that would be sooo sick. First thing I would do is get a really really big box. Fit a desk inside and 3 screens and voila! I got my own little racing simulator box thingy! :P

Would you be interested in a good headset.
They are not actually 5.1 or 7.1, but I just got this headset and they sound great with COD4.
Here is their link.
It uses the USB and fiber optic hookup.

Loos perfect. I like that I can use that for PS3 online chat as well. Good thing its optical cable, so clear quality.

Just to be sure, you just hook the USB and Optical right to the PS3 right? And is the quality very good for the mic and chat?

I agree with Timpaq that the game would look awesome. Particulary the city circuits with the twisty sections as all that track would be in view including the buildings and grandstands in multiscreen mode.
Should we expect it yeah, but for me so much rides on this single aspect to my whole anticipation of the game and its lack of confirmation really has halted my inspiration on the cockpit.

NoxNoctis Umbra
Stick to 24" 1080p resolution monitors with 16:9 and zero scaling. That monitor you linked is a 16:10 PC model.

Oh, thanks for the heads up. The PC resolution says 1920 x 1200, i guess when it switch for 1080p it would have two black lines on top and bottom right?
So this is 10:9?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236052

And yes, I also wonder if you will be able to play the FULL game with 3 screens or only Time Trial just like in GT4.

I cant wait for your completed cockpit.

Also if GT5 does not support full game 3 screen gameplay, if we will complain, PD should create a patch to fix it up.

No, it won't have black bars on top or at the bottom, unless this monitor can show GT5 in 1080 also (aspect ratio). If this isn't possible and GT5 is shown in 1200 you'll have a stretch image, vertically, distorting all cars (and the rest ofcourse). Believe me, this is very much noticable as I've played GT5p until october 2008 on a 16:10 monitor. You get use to it but if you can buy a 16:9 monitor, don't hesitate to do so.

You can recognise a 16:10 monitor by it's resolution.

• 16:10 = 1920 x 1200
  • 16:9 = 1920 x 1080
The Asus is 16:9. It's a 1920x1080 monitor.

Keep in mind that a 24 inch 16:9 monitor looks smaller than a 24 inch 16:10. If you want a 16:9 monitor that looks a big as a 16:10, you have to get a bigger 16:9 monitor.

Loos perfect. I like that I can use that for PS3 online chat as well. Good thing its optical cable, so clear quality.

Just to be sure, you just hook the USB and Optical right to the PS3 right? And is the quality very good for the mic and chat?

Yes it connects to the PS3 only.
The amplifier has the connections 3 feet long (USB & fiber) to the PS3 and another 12 foot long cord to the headset.

From what I'm told in game the voice chat is clear.
I have yet to chat (non game) with it.
It seems to pick up only what I say with no background noises.

Tritton has 8 speaker, 5.1 sets also.

Here's my review of the AX720s:
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=125564

Chat through Ventrilo works very well. You can plug the optical into your ps3 and usb into a computer to use the computer for voice communication.

Great review, Ill be picking them up as soon as GT5 multiscreen is confirmed in GT mode.

Someone please help me choose best monitor, I need 3. But the screen size I am looking for is over 22 inch to 26 inch with 2ms and 1080p 16:9, as well best one for the money, meaning good quality of colors yet not too expensive, I hope to buy all 3 monitors for less then 1000 bucks USD.
Since we dont know if full game will be supported for the setups I am just browsing around, but soon we might know the anwser to that question, so as soon I know full game is supported or at least GT mode, I will start buying the ps3s, monitos, and work on the rig.

Newegg is awesome. On the left hand side of the screen you can narrow your search results to be more specific.

http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.aspx?SubCategory=20&name=LCD-Monitors

If you didn't know, you HAVE to get a monitor that has HDCP or else the monitors will be useless, as they won't be able to transmit the digital signal.

HDMI or DVI are only supported for PS3.

HDMI will be the easiest because it connects directly to the PS3, but if your monitor has built in speakers the sound quality will be crap. So you will need to get separate speakers.

If you get monitors with only DVI connections you can just buy an HDMI to DVI adapter. Then you will have to have a separate sound system, either digital, or one with RCA connections.

I think that is right. Someone feel free to correct me if anything is wrong.

Thanks for the tip and the HDCP, never knew what it means till now. Also yeah, for speakers, I will buy some quality optical headset. The website is great, I see some cool screens for cheap, but could you and someone ealse give me some good choices?

Look for a Samsung, LG, acer, Liyama. These are great monitors.

What you need is this:

• 16:9 at least a 24 inch
  • HDCP
  • small bezel if you want to go multi monitor
  • DisplayPort (better than HDMI) is the future
  • get a S-PVA technology based monitor. They are cheaper and faster.
  • fast response time. Not higher than 5ms
  • very low input lag
  • no loud speaker because it's better to have external speakers.

Back