GT5P update coming August 1st!!

• Thread starter TheMoose
  • 459 comments
I don't see why people in the UK should have to pay for downloading Top Gear, the BBC already gets enough money out of us with the compulsory TV license of £139.50 a year that every one in the UK with a colour TV has to pay. Paying out again just to have it on your PS3?!

The ones show on BBCA are 2-3 seasons ago (meaning at least 1-2 years old). They are not the current episodes being shown in the BBC on Sundays.

They showed series 10 on there this past spring and still run repeats of it on Monday nights. I expect this summer's series to be on in the fall on BBCA. They aren't that far behind, although they still show older episodes from series 8 and 9.

I don't see why people in the UK should have to pay for downloading Top Gear, the BBC already gets enough money out of us with the compulsory TV license of £139.50 a year that every one in the UK with a colour TV has to pay. Paying out again just to have it on your PS3?!

Were not even sure if the UK will even get Top Gear on GT5.....although, to be fair, Im not really interested seeing as I can watch repeats on Dave and new episodes on the BBC and on BBC iPlayer.
Doesnt the Japanese version of GT-TV already have top gear episodes up now? This is what makes me think we wont get them.

Im interested in the Super GT, Nurburgring 24 Hours, Le Mans and the other stuff though, that would be great to have, even if I have to pay a little bit.

Do you get your BBC TV shows on DVD for free? Same thing.

Cant we not just download off youtube?

Ive seen some videos uploaded already of GT TV
If you are getting HD quality videos on You Tube then you and I are using different You Tubes.

And with the recent crackdown on You Tube and Viacom trying to get user info from them I have a feeling that will be happening a bit less.

To sum up: The legality of paid GTTV content on You Tube is questionable at best.

So it looks like they have posted prices for the upcoming Videos. They range from about $2 to $3 dollars US. Even for the GT Specific content. However, from 8/1 until 8/15 the videos will be 10円 each. A special trial period only, that is about 10 cents US per video. That makes it a bit more appealing, but it clearly shows there intention for the future.

I would just like to say FU very much. I will not purchase any of these videos. Especially when I can download Top gear videos for free from the net.

http://www.gran-turismo.com/jp/gt5p/news/d2353.html

Did anyone see this at the bottom of the page:

Important Note:
* All information listed in this website is for Japan. For information outside Japan, please refer to the website of your region.

I checked the US website, there was nothing about an August 1st update!:grumpy::scared::crazy::ouch:

Someone please tell me I'm wrong.

Important Note:
* All information listed in this website is for Japan. For information outside Japan, please refer to the website of your region.

I checked the US website, there was nothing about an August 1st update!:grumpy::scared::crazy::ouch:

I wouldn't be surprised if this is a JP-only update. PD releases all their games in Japan first, and all of the pictures in the first post are in Japanese. Everyone else might have to wait until the big fall update that PD has promised :(.

EDIT: http://us.playstation.com/granturismo/news_events.asp

This talks about the GTTV content, but not anything else that's listed on the JP site.

So it looks like they have posted prices for the upcoming Videos. They range from about $2 to $3 dollars US. Even for the GT Specific content.

I would just like to say FU very much. I will not purchase any of these videos.

I agree with you. The videos that I've downloaded to date have each taken way too long to download, and in my opinion, are hardly worth watching. I have zero interest in this proposed package, even if it was offered for free, which it is not.

I agree with you. The videos that I've downloaded to date have each taken way too long to download, and in my opinion, are hardly worth watching. I have zero interest in this proposed package, even if it was offered for free, which it is not.

I agree they take way to long to download even with a really high speed internet connection. I tried one out just for the heck of it and was disappointed at the half hour it took.

I just found the info about the update in the ingame news section of my PAL. It includes all of the above points and is scheduled for 1st of August as well, so I suppose this update will be done simultaneously worldwide.

EDIT: you guys read they announced higher download speeds, right?

Important Note:

I'm sure this update will be available worldwide. It's either that or the return of region-lock in online events, because I don't see how can I race against a JP driver, if we aren't - both of us - playing with the exact same collision physics and penalty judgements

I may be wrong, but probably this kind of update is mandatory if you want to keep racing online.

If the quality is better than what I can get off youtube (I'm guessing it's going to be), I'm more than happy to pay for the videos especially if it's racing related. I don't subscribe to Speed Channel because the programming is too american (NASCAR and more of the same crap). If I can get some One Make Race from Japan, and although I do get Top Gear off BBC Canada, it would be cool to download past episode. I guess it's time to upgrade the 80gb drive.

But if they make the top gear episodes free for uk residents everyone is going to make an uk psn account :)

Yeah, so in real life, why buy a car for money when you can steal one for free? :crazy:

I disagree with that statement. It's more like:
Why buy a car for money when you can build a copy for free?
(well, the parts to make it cost money, but so does a pc)

My opinion on this is that if they charge for video content, then give us the option to export the video so that we can also put it on a laptop, dvd, etc.

I disagree with that statement. It's more like:
Why buy a car for money when you can build a copy for free?
(well, the parts to make it cost money, but so does a pc)
You know that downloading Top Gear episodes from the internet is illegal, yes?

About the quality of the offered videos: in the trailer they were talking about HD quality, so I guess most of it will be HD. I am pretty sure that the Top Gear source material is not available in HD from the BBC though, so some videos might only be SD.

If the Top Gear shows have exclusive GT5 content then I'll buy them, if not I'll watch them on BBCA.

@interceptor
Oh i do know it's illegal, except if you live in Holland (or are in international waters)
But i wasn't questioning that, I was questioning your comparison with a car.
That comparison would be correct if you would steal a dvd from a shop.
But this is going offtopic, and hardly worth a discussion.

I'm sure this update will be available worldwide. It's either that or the return of region-lock in online events, because I don't see how can I race against a JP driver, if we aren't - both of us - playing with the exact same collision physics and penalty judgements

I may be wrong, but probably this kind of update is mandatory if you want to keep racing online.

:D Just checked the News in GT5P, and the announcement is there!

Whew! Thought I got my hopes up for nothing.

Information about the update will do:
http://www.gran-turismo.com/en/gt5p/news/d2358.html

A free online update of Gran Turismo 5 Prologue will be performed beginning in the afternoon of Friday, August 1.

Here are some cautions for when performing the update. Please make sure to read this before its installation.

(1) If an error occurs during the download of update data, please retry the download. Data that had been downloaded up to that point is saved, and the download can be resumed. It is possible to resume downloading by:
- Selecting News in “My Page”
or
- Exiting the game with the PS button, and restarting the game.

(2) The following content will be reset when the update is applied.
- Ranking
- Key assignments set in “Option”
- Quick tune settings saved for individual cars

(3) With the update, the current online events will also be updated.

(4) Replay data created before the previous update, will not be possible to view after the update. Before the update, please check the version information displayed on the lower left within Manual. If it is Version 2.XX.X or later, replay data will still be viewable after the update.

(5) The amount of required hard disk space for the update will depend on your current update status. If updating from the one previous version, you will need approximately 233MB, if you are updating for the first time, approximately 2.3GB will be required.

(6) For the update, the online service of Gran Turismo 5 Prologue will undergo maintenance from 9:00 am to the afternoon on Friday, August 1.
Please note that you will not be able to connect to the online service during the maintenance.

*To update, you will be required to have a Playstation 3 connected to the internet through a broadband network, and a downloaded or Blu-ray disc version of GranTurismo 5 Prologue.

So yes the records will be gone and we will have to make new ones.

(2) The following content will be reset when the update is applied.
- Ranking
- Key assignments set in “Option”
- Quick tune settings saved for individual cars

If all our tuning for all of our cars is reset, can we reload our backed-up game save data and be back to normal, or do we have to reset the tuning for every car?

If all our tuning for all of our cars is reset, can we reload our backed-up game save data and be back to normal, or do we have to reset the tuning for every car?

All the tuning will be reset because of this:

- Changed calculation rules for performance points.

Considering this

[/QUOTE]
Common Vehicle Physics
- Improved controllability when using S1-S3, and R1-R3 tires.
- Changed calculation rules for performance points.
[/QUOTE]

I think you'll need to reset the tuning for every car. This will give a lot of work to our dear GTPlanet tuners ... :crazy:

EDIT: Tree'd

Back