GT6 Sales Discussion

The arrival of a new console generation will undoubtedly have an impact. People may be holding back at the game launch so as receive it at Christmas and also there are many people who were driven away by GT5.

The game has been bought for me, Anniversary Edition, but I'm leaving it until Christmas so as to focus on PS4. Besides it's only a fortnight and getting GT5 for Christmas 2010 was great so part of me wanted that again. Really looking forward to it!

It's what most rational people thought. GT6 will certainly be the worst selling GT game. And rightly so. When you make a game as terrible as GT5, then your sequel will likely suffer, despite improvements in some areas.

The series needs fresh ideas and new features, a la livery editor, auction house, enhanced audio, A.I., etc. The series is slowly heading downwards. Is Kaz bright enough to right the ship? Or will his eccentric pursuit of outer space leave his once faithful earthlings behind?

Stay tuned. More news at 11.

Last edited:
I think many factors play into this not just one. for me I am enjoying GT6 more than GT5 but the *lets release features later* nonsense ticks me off. If I were to list the reasons however I feel they would be

1.GT6 releasing month after ps4
2.little to no hype..*I know people who don't know GT6 exists
3.forza
4. burn from GT5

the problem is PD (and just about every Japanese developer for that matter) has completely lost touch with what the consumers want, and while they have faltered, their competition has continually gotten better and better...

people want customization, people want cars that sound like cars...they dont want to listen to elevator music in a driving game...most people find the inclusion of standard cars to be comical (it is)...people want real damage...they dont care if the damage is 100% accurately modeled in regards to real world physics...they want to see dents, and wings fly off, and shattered glass and the audio that goes with it

what makes GT popular for some, (particularly on these forums) like the "its a driving game, not a racing game" crowd or the "its about collecting cars" crowd...just doesn't fly with the general consumer and GT's sales will continue to fall, along with its review scores until Kaz realizes this...

to be honest Kaz is probably lucky that PD is a first party studio that has had mega success in the past, because a third party publisher would have booted him ages ago...

GT6 is a huge step in the right direction (in regards to the user experience compared to GT5) but the excitement isnt there...im enjoying the heck out of GT6...as someone that has owned every GT game back to the original i appreciate it for what it is...

but part of me wonders if im enjoying it simply because i chose to get a PS4 and NOT to get a Xbone at launch and have to miss out on Forza 5 (Forza 3 and 4 were much better "games" than GT5), and since im not a PC gamer GT6 is really my only sim option...

the average gamer did not grow up in the PS1 era...they grew up in the Xbox era with Project Gotham and Forza...to them GT is boring, they dont understand what the point of the standard cars is, they dont understand why there is no damage, they dont understand why the cars sound weird...

PD MUST...
- embrace customization for REAL...livery editor of ANY kind...more body/aero kits

- damage...doesnt matter if its real time and physics based...people want their cars to fall apart when they crash, even if its just for the "wow" factor

- sound...even if the sounds are not 100% audiophile accurate...V8's need to sound like V8's...race cars need to sound like race cars...

- standard cars must go...i dont care if it cuts the car count in half (or even worse)...you dont need the 99 and 02 Viper GTS (one as a standard, one as a premium) they are the SAME car in different color choices (except the 02 has ABS in real life)...we dont need a whole page of standard mid 2000 Honda S2000's...the single 2006 Premium version is enough...

- give us something more on the single player front...the old formula of just a list of races just isnt going to cut it anymore...we dont need a stupid contrived story to go with the single player, but there should be something...earn sponsorships as you go along (great way to tie in a basic livery editor)...grow rivalries with other drivers...form a race team (great way to incorporate B-Spec)...make me feel like im racing in a "season." have a calendar where i pick and choose races to enter throughout the season

- DELIVER your features...dont talk about stuff that wont be in the game...dont talk to me about a course editor that is 100x100km and then a month later its 50x50...then a month later its 10x10...then a month later it "wont be there day 1, but its coming!" Dont tell me you're "working on sound" but its not ready...no, stop doing things that are cool, but dont bring anything to the table (moon missions?) and get your work done!

there is so much more i could list, but this is the stuff that comes to mind right now...

This is a very well thought out post an I agree with much of it. Especially the single player stuff. I am enjoying GT 6 but I can't help thinking it could have been better. Also, removing RM means we can't create multiple classes of racer with one car.

Uh, no & I suggest you either read the first post or learn what odd and even numbers are.
Unless 748,000+ isn't more than 648,000+ & 663,000+ isn't more than 468,000+ in some mystical world.

Many people on this forum gave GT5 a pass as 5 being a cursed number. That excuse doesn't fly twice in a row; Kaz or someone at PD isn't communicating with the fanbase as they should.
Odd numbered GT games are 1, 3 and 5. These GT games sold the most, especially GT3.

Even numbered GT games are 2 and 4. Neither of these GT games sold more than the odd numbered one that came immediately before. And I'm talking about total sales of the full game, ignoring Prologues and Concept versions.

My numbers come from PD's site

Also, I never said anything about giving PD a pass over the number 5. GT5 had glaring flaws all over the place, I still enjoyed it regardless.

For GT6, I expect it to sell much less than GT5, given PD's recent wrap and it being released late in the console's life like GT2 and GT4 was.

Were you Kaz's sound advisor, by any chance?
sorry...to me a "burble" implies a throaty, deep exhaust tone...which is the exact opposite of anything that includes a rotary engine..

This is a very well thought out post an I agree with much of it. Especially the single player stuff. I am enjoying GT 6 but I can't help thinking it could have been better. Also, removing RM means we can't create multiple classes of racer with one car.

ugh...i would KILL for an expanded "RM" option...would be so great to go into an RM Customization for cars and be able to choose different classes....i think a "GT3" "GT2" and "GT1" option would be incredible...

I think people are jumping the gun... I remember when GT5 launched and NPD reported what the game sold in North America to only be 700k and everyone was like GT FAIL IT'LL NEVER SELL AS MUCH AS THE PS1/PS2 VERSIONS. Then Polyphony released their statement stating GT5 sold 5.5 million on the first day and it shut everyone up. Of course the naysayers kept insisting it wouldn't hit 10 million and making excuses as to why it wasn't doing well when it was and look where we are today 10.6 million total with nearly 3 million in North America alone. Plus this only includes 3 days of sells and doesn't take into account all of the digital sells off of the PS Store.

I think people are jumping the gun... I remember when GT5 launched and NPD reported what the game sold in North America to only be 700k and everyone was like GT FAIL IT'LL NEVER SELL AS MUCH AS THE PS1/PS2 VERSIONS. Then Polyphony released their statement stating GT5 sold 5.5 million on the first day and it shut everyone up. Of course the naysayers kept insisting it wouldn't hit 10 million and making excuses as to why it wasn't doing well when it was and look where we are today 10.6 million total with nearly 3 million in North America alone. Plus this only includes 3 days of sells and doesn't take into account all of the digital sells off of the PS Store.

And then when we actually played the game, the smoke and mirrors vanished lol

I think they lost a lot of old fans with GT5.
Many did not believe it was possible to improve look and feel on the old hardware by much. (They were wrong)
Many had no confidence in PD to come up with some creativity to improve gameplay. (They were right)

They scare of potential new fans seeking action/racing with "the real driving simulator" and all that c..p about GT VIsion, design, photo mode and other boring sounding stuff.

And they keep punching people in the face that actually want a "real driving simulator" by making every edition more arcade, easy and beginner friendley. (Forced skid recovery, AI force you to pass, 70% gold medals on 1st attempt)

I love that the constellations are correct!!!!!!
:):):):):):):):):):):):)
I actually drove off the road on Bathurst at night when I was distracted by seeing in the sky what I recognized, but only from astronomy night sky pictures & such, because I live above 40°N.
Sky map technology is old stuff. Amateur astronomers have had access to that for ages now.
The maps are public domain. Software that does this is commonplace.
In other words, it was likely no big whoop at all to include it - but a very nice touch.

I purchased GT6 on release day.
Pretty sure this is the first time in my life I've ever bought a video game on release day. Ever.
And I've been playing games a LONG time.

I didnt buy it because I asked family to get it for me for christmas. And it turns out my brother in law asked for it too. So thats 2 sales that are not accounted for in week 1, wouldnt be surprised if a lot of others did the same thing.
That's what I was thinking.
Don't families get youths video games for holiday presents anymore??? And don't they still make them wait for it???
Man, my folks made me wait for that Atari 2600. :lol:

And I think youths & young adults especially would be more likely to ask for the GT6 as the Christmas present, & buy Hog of the Damned or Machine Gun Hookers, or whatever else for themselves.
Does anyone really trust the sources which the OP cited? They look highly dubious to me. Didn't anyone learn the lesson in school that when all the children tell a story whispering into each others' ears in a big circle, one after the other, that eventually the end result is often greatly distorted from the original? Or do they not teach the concept of gossip vs fact anymore? :odd:
Chinese Whispers! Played that in Scouts when I was a kid. Excellent lesson there. :) Thanks for the memories. ;)

Don't know if its been mentioned or not, but GT6 didn't have 3+ years to accumulate pre-orders like GT5. Therefore, it shouldn't be a surprise that the initial sales numbers are lower.

I actually think it will have some longevity on PS3, especially in South America and other developing countries that are a generation behind in general (similar to the extended sales of PS2 because of these regions). It might end up being good in the long run, especially since it might be the last sim-style racing game for the PS3, but the short term seems pretty dim.

Just a thought

Alright. there's also seemingly a glitch with the C5 Z06. If you switch exhausts twice, the proper sound plays. Otherwise, it sounds like a weed-whacker mixed with a B16 Honda with fart-can exhaust.

I've had enough. I can''t even drive some cars because of how bad they sound. We need to let PD know we've had enough.

Is there already an existing thread for this?

So is it realistic to be able to spin on every lap of a three lap race & still win? https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/good-bad-moments-in-gt6.292682/#post-9053511

Or to spin & end up 34s behind on lap 2 of a 5 lap race & yet still catch up and win by 1.5s? https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/good-bad-moments-in-gt6.292682/#post-9053536
This is not realism.

Gotta give credit where credit is due...epic irony and an epic burn all at the same time. Well done, sir, well done:cheers:

Among other things - engine sounds seems to be the number one complaint and deal breaker for many.

I don't agree.......My stock Toyota Levin sounded like crap, then I upgraded the exhaust and it sounded amazing. So I don't know why people are comPlainig so much. Also people who are saying the graphics are worse than GT5 can't be serious. Looks much better than GT5.

i think Sony announcing the ps4 really took some hype from gt6, some were expecting it to be on ps4 but instead it followed the "tradition" of 2 games per generation of PlayStation. the disappointment of 5 might also have a little to do with it. to conclude, i trusted in PD once again and i got my moneys worth in this copy, and then some with all the content updates that are expected to come.

I honestly enjoyed every part of what I just read and fully agree with you on every aspect. If only there was a way to get this all the way to the man....
Seriously, every single one of us should send this to Kaz/pd. dead serious.

And tsutaya is a massive company..god only knows how many sells they pulled in, but congrats for GT on getting top spot.

Well, I expect it's a combination of things. Possibly the biggest problem would have to be disappointment in GT5. From my own personal group of virtual racers (we used to have GT4 LAN parties all the time), The reaction to GT5 was so bad that of the eight local racers in my group, I'm the only one that still plays the Gran Turismo series. Everyone else bailed when they saw how terrible a product GT5 was. That's really hard to bounce back from, and although I do think GT6 is a better product so far than GT5, in many ways it doesn't hold a candle to GT4. I think maybe PD has forgotten how to make a good game, and are expending their efforts in the wrong directions. PD has a shot again with GT7 on the PlayStation 4 if they go back to making the GAME part good, and stop worrying about ridiculous stuff like whether or not the proper stars are in the sky at certain time of night. That's so utterly useless in a racing Sam. What a pointless waste of effort that kind of stuff is. Give us back a better track selection, especially tracks from older games in the series, get all the freaking standard cars converted to premium, and give us a really good and deep single player career mode like GT4 had. Then there's a chance that PD will reacquire many of the fans of the series that bailed after GT4/5.

Far too early to crucify GT6 based off these numbers (If they are even accurate). Say what you will about the sounds, A.I or whatever, but to the people saying that GT6 looks WORSE than GT5, please, do yourself a favor and see your local optometrist.

Honestly? I don't care. I mean, if I like the game, why do the other millions of people who bought it matter how much I like it? :cheers:

there wasn't much new added in terms of content, ie. old sounds, still "standard" cars, still a PS3 rather than a PS4 game. Like the old even numbered gran turismos not selling as mch for the same reason. People want good sound effects now, that is the new graphics for games. People will settle for 1 gen back graphics if the sound effects are top notch.

Plus I think a lot of people who are into racing games know more about cars now and see that you have "staged" upgrades and no wider tires, etc like it's the fast and the furious era.

idk, i like the game but that is my gripes with it and I can see people not buying it ove rthat.

It's more GT5 3.0 than GT6. It's good for us fans, but not duty for any playstation owner anymore... They fell too far behind compared to PS2 times. GT was always graphical marvel, steady 60 fps, live alike TV style replays with hot air vibrating and it had good sounding engines... in times of PS1. I can imagine happy Ford Mustang owner that has to hear church organ instead of V8 rumble and rally fan that still cannot find his narrow alpine speed test and hear some V6 in his beloved Audi Quattro S1 instead of magical scream of inline five-cyllinder. Not talking about other Group-B cars that are not even premium and there's nothing to compete with. GT has every girl shopping car but nothing to compete in certain leagues - Bathurst without V8 racing cars???

I'm sure PD are/will give more hype to GT7 that will come out on PS4. They claim that it's easier to develop games on, so I'm sure once they're nearly ready to roll it out everywhere, they will hype it up massively as the PS5 won't be around anytime soon. GT6 just seems like a placeholder game for when GT7 arrives. Don't get me wrong I'm loving GT6 at the moment, it's the game that GT5 should have always been, although there are still flaws in it.

Even the shops here in Singapore are commenting that the game isn't exactly flying off the shelves. CE versions were readily available at ~ US90 (comes with cars, 3 extra DLC cars, 1 million credit, die-cast GTR, printed apex magazine).

They also commented on the lack of marketing and not many people knew it was out or that it was even coming.....

Hopefully this becomes a wake-up call to PD to step up their game for GT7 on the PS4.

Back