GT6 Sales Discussion

You all are basing this of sales in one market. You could make a GT6 sales kick ass thread if you use Japan as example.

Kaz needs to be controlled by sony better, but the old geezer does do plenty good. GT needs to be cleaned up a bit, but look at the **** pile that is forza5 and realize we want GT to be so great but but how realistic are our wants.

PD listens to its fans??? What are you smoking???

They add a few tracks that have been in high demand for, oh I dunno, over 10 years, and suddenly PD "listens to fans". You could live under a rock and know that adding Spa, Silverstone, Bathurst, etc is a smart marketing move.

Where is the livery editor?

Where is the event creator?

Where are the leader boards?

Where are the non "stage based" tuning options?

Where is the improved AI?

Where are the sound improvements?

Where is damage?

The list goes on and on. Like I said, most of that stuff has been in demand for over 10 years, and it barely gets acknowledged. Keep telling yourself they listen to us because they used your (lol, roight) suggestion for the gear changing.

After pre-ordering GT5 and being completely disappointed in the arcade stlye game-play (ie driving from the back to overtake some moving chicanes), insane design decisions, and terrible, terrible AI. I promised myself I wouldn't pre-order GT6.

Now it is out & I have seen the reviews, youtube videos, and these forums, I am very happy I haven't bought it. It looks like more of the same. I'll not touch another GT until they put some actual racing content in there ie...

Excellent adjustable AI
Qualifying
Standing Starts
Proper (ie not the current) damage modelling.

Have you seen the latest damage model?, looks damn near real.. dents, dust and dirt and general panel damage, but if you are expecting flying debris a-la need for speed forget it.

The thing that's put me off buying GT6 so far is that the new features such as the GPS course maker and B Spec aren't even in the game yet.
The average Joe who doesn't go on GTPlanet regularly won't know that alot of things will be added to GT6 over time...

Have you seen the latest damage model?, looks damn near real.. dents, dust and dirt and general panel damage, but if you are expecting flying debris a-la need for speed forget it.

I've heard conflicting reports about the damage in GT6, and I haven't seen any videos. However even the best damage modelling on the planet wouldn't make up for the AI, lack of qualifying and the current arcade "race" from the back format.

[edit]
Can you still hit a barrier head on at full speed & just carry on?

They add a few tracks that have been in high demand for, oh I dunno, over 10 years, and suddenly PD "listens to fans". You could live under a rock and know that adding Spa, Silverstone, Bathurst, etc is a smart marketing move.

In answer to your questions:

It would be nice, but not vital. If that's literally the only thing that matters for you in a game then there is this game called 'Need for Speed' which has been knocking about for a while.

In the online lobby, last time I checked.

Some have been introduced on licence tests, and there were online leaderboards on Prologue. Not to far fetched to imagine they're on the way.

There are plently of tuning options, that's one part of the game that there is very little need to fiddle with.

Although improved, it could definitely still go further. Whether the AI is good or not, there is hardly ever any satisfaction in beating anything other than a real human, which is why so many people choose to race online.

Some have come, others on the way. Cheers for bothering to read my post so carefully.

Where is damage?
Like others have said, improved. However, I recommend just not crashing into things then this is no longer an issue.

twitcher
your (lol, roight) suggestion for the gear changing.

Why is that so hard for you to believe?

You guys have to look past the whole new game branded thing and assume that GT6 is just an updated version of GT5, rushed to be out before Xmas to make some quick wonga, while PD concentrates all their efforts and resources in GT7 for the PS4 next year, that's all.
So... don't expect any of that livery editors, event creators, new sounds, bla, bla to be released or little annoying things to be "fixed".
Love it or hate it, but GT6 and it's micro transactions are here to stay :D

Where is damage?

The list goes on and on. Like I said, most of that stuff has been in demand for over 10 years, and it barely gets acknowledged. Keep telling yourself they listen to us because they used your (lol, roight) suggestion for the gear changing.

Did your Mother give you EVERYTHING you ever wanted when you were a kid (or even adult)? It seems like you don't like being told "no, not now".

Or to spin & end up 34s behind on lap 2 of a 5 lap race & yet still catch up and win by 1.5s? https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/good-bad-moments-in-gt6.292682/#post-9053536
Woo! I was quoted!
Anyhow, onto the topic, I find the AI in this game to be appallingly slow. They aren't dumb, per se. Winning the shifter kart championship was a massive challenge, as are the driving missions when I'm in the same car with the AI. It's hard to pull a gap when they're in a completely even car.

But it's in everything else that they're just SO SLOW. Seriously, I had to lower the PP of my car down a ton in order to have a little bit of a challenge getting to the front in some races.

Something else now.

I still love GT6 for its online mode. That makes it forgivable to me. Qualifying, free run, easy to use lobbies, etc. Now I don't have to get on track to enter. I can just hit the "enter" button and go about my business of setting up my car before the qualifying.

While GT6 sucks in some areas, it has improved massively in others. I say it's about a wash with GT5 Spec 2 for me. I prefer GT6 though because more cars and tracks.

It would be nice, but not vital. If that's literally the only thing that matters for you in a game then there is this game called 'Need for Speed' which has been knocking about for a while.

In the online lobby, last time I checked.

Some have been introduced on licence tests, and there were online leaderboards on Prologue. Not to far fetched to imagine they're on the way.

There are plently of tuning options, that's one part of the game that there is very little need to fiddle with.

Although improved, it could definitely still go further. Whether the AI is good or not, there is hardly ever any satisfaction in beating anything other than a real human, which is why so many people choose to race online.

Some have come, others on the way. Cheers for bothering to read my post so carefully.

Where is damage?
Like others have said, improved. However, I recommend just not crashing into things then this is no longer an issue.

Why is that so hard for you to believe?

You're not defending your statement that PD listens to fans, you're making excuses on behalf of PD as to why none of that was included in the game. You are also using YOUR style of playing the game to justify your position.

That isn't a list of things I want, it is a list of things the community has been asking for, for over 10 years. Perhaps you are as in the dark as much as PD.

Last edited:
What many of you need to realise is that so many suggestions are banded around that could improve the game that it is almost impossible to implement all of them, and frankly some ideas would improve it for so few (or not improve it at all) that they aren't worth doing.

The fundamental suggestions: better AI, better sounds, more realistic gameplay are pretty much universal. The fact that many other games have these is evidence that they are not impossible, or even very difficult to achieve.

Both the new premiums that were added, along with the standard converts, are almost all cars aimed at old men. PD forgets that most of their audience was born in the 80s or later (I'm almost 30 myself). This game has turned into one giant, nostalgic trip down memory lane for people 40 and older, while rest of us are left saying "I don't give a crap about stuff that was considered cool in the 60s".

I've got to disagree strongly on this one. Cars from the '60's are not just cool (which they are), they are also much more interesting & challenging to drive. Cars with a raft of aids - traction control, ABS etc. - just aren't very interesting to drive in a sim, where the added element of speed & danger is absent.

You know what? A PS4 release would have alienated all of the PS3 owners who don't want/can't afford to upgrade to PS4, and instead of people complaining that PD dropped the ball by missing out on next gen, you'd have people complaining that they effectively would have to pay £400 just to play GT6. Basically, whatever PD had done on that front they would have taken flak from either one side of the community or the other. As it is, there are far more PS3 in circulation than PS4, so common sense dictates that you'll sell more games on the most common hardware. If you think the sales figures are bad with a PS3 release, imagine what they would have been like on PS4!

Actually, I do not think that sales would have been that bad, considering the dearth of true next-gen titles available on the PS4, it could have done quite well. In the past, previous iterations of the game have provided the impetus to upgrade, and this was when consoles were considerably dearer than they are right now. Admittedly £349 is not small change, but I remember spending £425 on day one for a PS3, in anticipation of playing the next Gran Turismo.

It's all relative :P

Watch the following video at 3:33, "the next car game" (FlatOut dev in Kickstarter with a very low budget).

edit: Plus consider that the poor damage model is one of the most criticized aspects of GT6 in reviews. It lowers the score, so it means that aspect is not good enough for what is expected these days, when compared to other console games.

Last edited:
GTP_ingram
If there is any one game on the market that is a fine example of taking suggestions of the fans and implementing them, then the GT series has to be one of the best. Having played the last four or five Call Of Duty games, I'm really not sure I can say the same for that..

Call of Duty 4, and possibly Modern Warfare 2, were the last two games that appealed to a wider selection of gaming types. You could be a competent heavy gunner, rifleman, and the ghost type was catered for. Since the advent of quick-scoping and running-and gunning, Activison have done everything in their power to keep this large and very vocal majority of their fan base happy. Successive games have throw out all pretense of balance, and cater now, almost exclusively, for those gamer types. You can reload now whilst running, and quick-scoping is as unbalanced as it ever was. Whilst heavy gunning is making a comeback of sorts, the ghost type is hoplessly crippled within the perks system.

PD does deserve respect as they have tirelessly provided content for their games, though not always what was wanted, or needed.

I think the biggest issue is simply the age of the console - people aren't prepared to shell out full price for a game on a console that's about to be superceded - the idea that we need exaggerated car sounds is mainly an american one I find. The music in GT6 suits the game more than any othe style of music would too - GT has a particular character, changing that would damage sales. There's definitely massive room for improvement in many areas though, I think fatigue is a big issue too - we're at a point where there's probably only reason for a single installment of a franchise per generation when we're looking at the magnitude of a game like GT (but it needs to be polished and supported - Polyphony are doing a great job with support, not so much with polish).

You're not defending your statement that PD listens to fans, you're making excuses on behalf of PD as to why none of that was included in the game. You are also using YOUR style of playing the game to justify your position.

That isn't a list of things I want, it is a list of things the community has been asking for, for over 10 years. Perhaps you are as in the dark as much as PD.

Firstly, I see from your profile that you joined this website in 2011. If you were here any longer, you would have seen a tab on the homepage, where people could suggest the cars, tracks and features that they wanted to see implemented in future iterations of the Gran Turismo series. Many of these suggestions came to fruition.

Second, I didn't say that I was defending PD, I was answering your questions, hence
GTP_Ingram

All you have done in response to my answer is make a blanket statement about why I haven't answered to your satisfaction, rather than giving any sort of reasoned argument. While you're being vague, allow me to go through your questions one at a time and check how I answered:

- The first, as I already said, would be popular, and it could be done. Why haven't they done it? I don't know, there must be a reason as they are well aware that is a desired feature, and have been asked about it in interviews:
https://www.gtplanet.net/gt6-course-maker-livery-editor-gamescom/
- The second, the third and the fourth I feel I have answered, and you havent made any specific objections yet, so I'll assume you dont have any.
- The fifth, I pretty much agreed with you, whilst mentioning that online gameplay is the place to get the best challenge, regardless of what game you are playing.
- The sixth I answered, and PD have already mentioned will be coming in a future update, but that goes against your argument so I can understand why you ignored it...
- The seventh point? Maybe I am usinig MY style of play to justify my position. I try to race cleanly, and not crash into walls, competitors, passers by etc. I play GTA5 for that. I don't see a problem with this argument.

You say that PD are in the dark, but lets be honest, are you complaining on the largest Gran Turismo forum on the web for the sake of it, or in the hope that someone will notice?

Given they have promised numerous updates over the coming months, then I think maybe a little patience is needed rather than complaining the second the game hits the shelves.

Proper (ie not the current) damage modelling.

Looks like you'll never be buying another one. Because Kaz himself said there will never be full out damage in a GT. It's about the presentation of cars, even if you smash into a wall at 200 mph.

Looks like you'll never be buying another one. Because Kaz himself said there will never be full out damage in a GT. It's about the presentation of cars, even if you smash into a wall at 200 mph.

I think you're probably right - sad really. However after playing the series pretty much constantly until GT5 (which I stopped playing very quickly). I'll always be occasionally checking back to see if PD decide to create a racing game at some point.

I would be happy with an HD version of GT4 but with world class AI and qualifying - damage is important, but I could live without it if the AI was spectacular (and thus by implication bringing an end to this pass a bunch of slow robots from the back arcade challenge)

There's definitely massive room for improvement in many areas though, I think fatigue is a big issue too - we're at a point where there's probably only reason for a single installment of a franchise per generation when we're looking at the magnitude of a game like GT (but it needs to be polished and supported - Polyphony are doing a great job with support, not so much with polish).

After the extended development time for GT5, I have wonder whether the resources of PD would be better spent creating Gran Turismo as a service, rather than a game. As a service, the game could become modularised, and rather than release successive games, could become updated progressively throughout the life of the life of the console.

What's the frame of reference for "disastrous"? It's certainly notable that the sales are so much lower than GT5's, but how do we know that Sony didn't already expect them to be?

I think it's just Kaz's "As the crow flies" attitude as to why GT hasn't changed much. I wish i knew more about PD's development processes to understand why some things seem like such a big task for PD, even from a consumers point of view.

You get the feeling like something as simple as a livery editor would take PD half a year to develop, only for it to be half assed, and usable on a hand full of cars.

I wish someone like Jordan would be more vocal and honest to Kaz about the game, perhaps show him posts like Metfanats on the 1st page.

He needs to see what the people who are paying their hard earned money for his game really want.

I don't understand all the fuss about the game being "horrible"

I mean, it's clearly not perfect, but I'm really enjoying it! It's been a while since I've had so much fun.

People keep saying that they didn't listen to any of your requests.. But you can take pictures of multiple cars at once now in photo mode. Didn't we request that?

Like I said, I'm annoyed with some of the same errors that you are. But I feel strange being one of the only people on here who seemingly likes the game. Is something wrong with me?

Needless to say, these sales figures are
-inaccurate
-too early to tell anyways
-due to PS4 launch
-poor marketing by Sony

When the final numbers come in in 3 years' time, I promise you that the figures will be anything but disastrous.

Until then, just relax! It's a new GT game and if it's that bad then there's always Forza 5! At least you didn't have to pay $500 for GT6 only to be disappointed, which is what I've heard is happening from a lot of FM5 buyers.

Back