GT6 server boycott: March 1-8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Case in point; from Neogaf;

Getting pretty bad over at GTP... calling for server boycotts next week :lol

Even in the darkest days after GT5 I don't remember calls for a boycott.

What on earth are PD doing. And how and why have Sony so badly mismanaged them

Its the word of, not act of the boycott that has more value...

The definition of boycott implies not buying AND avoiding the use of a specific service.

Example of successful boycotts:

Back in 1977, The NHL and it's north american Rival, the world hockey association proposed to merge the viable teams to the NHL. 4 teams of the WHA were elected and th plan was sumbitted to vote to the NHL team owners. At the time the project was rejected, by only one vote. The team was owned by a major beer producer. People Avoided to buy their products and two years later the team decided to change the vote after loosing some sales to the rival brewer.

this boycott had then brought in 1979, the current Calgary Flames ( then in Atlanta), Edmonton Oilers, Current Phoenix (future Arizona) Coyotes (Based in Winnipeg, MB at the time) and the current Colorado Avalanche ( Based in Quebec City, then).

That is, the only example of boycott that worked in the last 37 years.

We bought the game, we gave our $60, or £60 or what ever currency already to Sony. we're done. and we cannot boycott anymore because we've bought the product.

And this will make PD work harder and give us more updates why?!?!? :confused:

Last edited:
Then we boycott any and all micro-transactions, DLC, and future GT titles until they get their 🤬 together. The sales have already taken a huge hit from what happened with GT5.

See, the boycott has already started even before GT6 was released. It's the die-hard GT fans/supporters that kept faith and purchased GT6 in hopes it would be the answer to all that was wrong with GT5. But it has been worse, much worse, and now PD haven't delivered on the content that was supposed to raise GT above the embarrassment that was GT5.

The boycott is only growing larger and trust me, PD and Sony will notice, that is if they haven't already.

@LVracerGT: Sony is too busy destroying the Xbox currently to worry about Gran Turismo 6 at the moment.

Look, I know PD dropped the ball in GT6 in some regards, mainly features and glitches. But at the end of the day I'm still finding it a fun racing game to play whenever I get the time to play. I guess I just spend more time playing games to enjoy them instead of steaming over whatever problems it has. Or maybe I'm just lucky and my game spares me from its gremlins most of the time.

Yeah the glitches came and bit me. The camber debacle is still here biting my ass, the nurb 24 minute race still doesn't have the water trail, the R8 LMS Ultra still wants to murder me. The tire wear problem is honestly really annoying. We still haven't received that new track that was revealed, or any more of the VGT cars. But somehow it still manages to stay in my PS3 and get worn down by that blue laser.

Last edited:
I was going to ask you to define "busy" but I took your suggestion and as I ate lunch, I scrolled through all the North American lobbies and counted 69. Average attendance about 5 for a total of 350 on the entire continent (not sure if it includes Mexico actually). Wide variety of rooms and from what I can discern with PD's poor lobby labelling system and lack of search features about 15 were for circuit racing and 10/15 were on RS tires. Outside of that an assortment of test lobbies, drifting, drag, cruise, Nascar, and names with no discernable direction like the popular "eat my [insert expletive here]" and "you suck".

I don't consider 350 to be busy, and I especially don't consider 90 people circuit racing, 60 of which are on RS tires, as busy. When you consider this is designed to be a game about driving realistic cars with realistic physics around realistic tracks, it looks like a virtual wasteland. Maybe we have different definitions of busy. :lol:

Maybe a glance at the surface statistics can blind one to the underlying structure that doesn't throw off the obvious reflections.

A lunchtime survey - not really 'prime time' for gamers - that yielded a count of 350 sounds pretty good to me. Thank you for looking into that quickly. As for the quality of the rooms that is a matter of personal taste - and no matter to the log -in count in regards to the server itself; people are online.
I once went into a Room that had a guy teaching his daughter to drive. It was fun hanging with them for awhile, before I took off impatiently to choose from multiple Rooms, not being able to make up my mind which one to dive into. I guess it's all about social skills, too. When I have multiple Rooms to choose, and cannot make up my mind which one to get into (and it happens all the time I log in) it's busy enough for me.
Whether it's busy enough for Sony? It'll never be busy enough; they'll expand to fill the need. :D

We have to factor in this:
1) The 350 count doesn't stay static.
2) It's not the same 350 people all the time.
3) The count will have to take into account players who move during the count and as to how thoroughly the pages were refreshed; multiple analysts may be needed simultaneously and the statistics cross-referenced.
4) This particular count only takes in players from this side of the pond, and at a non-gaming hour (who are these people? Why aren't they at school, or at work, or puffing a joint in their saunas or chartered jets or whatever? Retired folk, disabled folk, home-makers?)
What would be the statistics collectively, worldwide?

And also:
Comparison statistics from at least two other comparable 'car-gaming' sites would help to reflect the reality of the present market - is GT a 'niche' market, a game that appeals to only a small part of the gaming population or does every one who eats bread also want to play a 'perfect' Gran Turismo?
In other words - is the market for Gran Turismo glutted?

This also is logins totally apart from the rest of the Online activity that is not Lobby-related (in fact the real agenda that PD appears to have from its pattern of activity) and when you factor in the tens of thousands (or is it hundreds of thousands now) that involve themselves in Seasonals and TTs it will show a lot of activity.

Wouldn't you say it's a far cry from saying "It's pretty barren."? It's early days; players are still getting a toehold on the game, and the server.

The TS is not proposing a war, or even a revolution - just a simple one-week boycott. It's not a death-blow. Just a telegram as such, a head's up, or a smoke-signal; 'Oy, there, PD! Look here for a moment, wouldya? We need to talk!'

Putting aside the huge and complex numbers involved with the rest of the Online activity, let's look at the small numbers - just the ones concerned with the Lobbies themselves.

The TS needs these numbers to work with if they are to wage a succesful campaign - how many people does it require to make a dent in the server's weekly statistical analysis - one significant enough to make the server's servers wake up to the spike in the numbers and say: 'Hey what's up with this? What's going on here?'

This would require at least a 10 -15% spike - which would mean recruiting mnay players at each particular site focused on Gran Turismo, and then affiliating these bodies together as one, so that a concerted effort can be made to cause the effect that will affect the developers enough to wake up and say that.

At which point upon further analysis they will realise that the consumers are sending a signal about certain demands - but this is where one has to be ready with specific and credible demands that are for the good of all concerned, before communications can be set up (let alone negotiations) though authorised personel.

Let's take Johnypenso's numbers to begin with - 350 (can we round that to an average of 500 players at any given time?) How much worldwide? Triple that? So 2000 players at any given time? Using those arbitrary numbers then all you need is about 250 regular players to disappear off the radar for a week and it'll show that spike on their charts.

Which brings to mind - how many of the would-be boycotts are regular players and even hosts, so that their sudden week-long absence is actually going to be felt?

This is funny.Sorry but all these new people joining gtp making all these complain threads and polls is getting rather annoying,its all you see on here lately.A boycott,REALLY? what else?want me to sell my game?only drive purple cars?dont buy nothing but miata's?If you guys have so many problems sell the game or trade it in.Mods got to make a dedicated complaining thread so people who enjoy the game don't need to scroll through 400 pages of complaints everyday.

Not factual at all unless you can prove that PD's failure to provide the promised features is due to "hackers".

Was PD's failure to stick to their own update schedule for GT5 when it first launched, more than a full year before GT5 hybriding even became public knowledge, due to hackers then as well?

And all the stuff that was advertised for GT5 before it released that never made the game, that must have been due to hackers too...
Well one thing I can provide is this.

http://www.gran-turismo.com/us/news/00_3043004.html

Is this good enough? Whatever is taking PD so long, boycotting is just silly.

That's pretty cute :)

Oh! I could write a whole book on my experiences so far. Definitely. Maybe.

Gran Turismo online, I've found, is not all about race-oriented tuners. Yes, you meet the nicest people in a Honda, too. :lol:

I cannot, though, tell what is in those Lobbies that say: "Don't Join! Keep out!" (I've kept out. :scared: )

Oh! I could write a whole book on my experiences so far. Definitely. Maybe.

Gran Turismo online, I've found, is not all about race-oriented tuners. Yes, you meet the nicest people in a Honda, too. :lol:

I cannot, though, tell what is in those Lobbies that say: "Don't Join! Keep out!" (I've kept out. :scared: )

I've mostly had bad and creepy experiences, I still can't believe what kind of users played GT5. I''l just give you a few word examples to think about it: incest, cross-dressing.... :nervous:

Hey, it could be. And for hackers. @amar212 have showen a conversion program, but not sure if I can show it.

I know of it, but it doesn't mean that's the reason for the delayed updates for GT6. The point I was making in my original response to your post, was that PD have been unfaithful to their word with updates before "hacking" was even a thing in GT5. So it's irrational to blame PD's failure to keep their word on the updates to GT6 because of "hacking."

I've mostly had bad and creepy experiences, I still can't believe what kind of users played GT5. I''l just give you a few word examples to think about it: incest, cross-dressing.... :nervous:

Why on Earth are you entering Lobbies like that?

Trying hosting a Lobby of your own once: you may attract like-minded players. And you call the shots. :) Starting a Lobby and attracting players is like fishing; you have to be patient.

If you build it they will come. But that is all another topic. This one is to organise a boycott, remember?

👍

I know of it, but it doesn't mean that's the reason for the delayed updates for GT6. The point I was making in my original response to your post, was that PD have been unfaithful to their word with updates before "hacking" was even a thing in GT5. So it's irrational to blame PD's failure to keep their word on the updates to GT6 because of "hacking."
Maybe their just disappointed with the sales or whatever, must be a massive impact to them. Who knows why their taking forever. :\

Why on Earth are you entering Lobbies like that?

Trying hosting a Lobby of your own once: you may attract like-minded players. And you call the shots. :) Starting a Lobby and attracting players is like fishing; you have to be patient.

If you build it they will come. But that is all another topic. This one is to organise a boycott, remember?

👍

Nah, the lobby was pretty alright, there were about 8 players, some left and then only the three of us stayed. I continued to mind my own business and drive when suddenly those subjects came up...

Anyway, back to taking down the serves.

This is funny.Sorry but all these new people joining gtp making all these complain threads and polls is getting rather annoying,its all you see on here lately.A boycott,REALLY? what else?want me to sell my game?only drive purple cars?dont buy nothing but miata's?If you guys have so many problems sell the game or trade it in.Mods got to make a dedicated complaining thread so people who enjoy the game don't need to scroll through 400 pages of complaints everyday.
Did you really enter a boycott thread and expect to not find people complaining about the game? There are threads that are specifically created to praise PD, maybe you should do a little searching and spend more time in them:tup:

Lol, I have not played GT6 in 3 weeks. Online in over 2 months. I was boycotting before it was a thread. Not because I am mad, but because I have better things/games to do/play.

If you guys really think this "boycott" will actually work, then you're wrong. Just remember that only a small percentage of GT6 players are on GTP. They aren't going to notice. :rolleyes:

I hereby propose a 1 week boycott of all Gran Turismo 6 (GT6) online server activities.

Starting on March 1st and concluding on March 8th at midnight local time, we the people of GTPlanet (GTP) will have our voices heard.

As server activity is monitored by both PD and Sony, this is our chance to let it be known our dissatisfaction with: 1) GT6 as an unfinished product; and 2) PD's poor communication with its customers. Edit: More specifically, regarding in-game bugs, missing features, and upcoming content.

Please keep this thread clean and void of any negativity or hostility toward Kaz and PD, to ensure our message can spread.

Together, our voices will be heard. We come in peace to remind those at the top, that we, the paying customers, are the ones that truly have the power.

Please show your support for the cause by liking this post!

-gs

Edit: Don't forget, even logging in just for the bonus counts as "server activity".
Most ridiculous thing I've read all day. Rather than address each individual point on it's merit, I'll just continue playing.

If you guys really think this "boycott" will actually work, then you're wrong. Just remember that only a small percentage of GT6 players are on GTP. They aren't going to notice. :rolleyes:

And an even smaller percentage of the casual gaming community are still playing this game.

Whether it works or doesn't work, I think it's a good idea to be proactive. Good Luck with the boycott.

Did you really enter a boycott thread and expect to not find people complaining about the game? There are threads that are specifically created to praise PD, maybe you should do a little searching and spend more time in them:tup:

Can't do that. No fun sitting up on a high horse talking down to folks to be had there. How dare people have a different opinion of the game. They should be silenced.

I hereby propose a 1 week boycott of all Gran Turismo 6 (GT6) online server activities.

Starting on March 1st and concluding on March 8th at midnight local time, we the people of GTPlanet (GTP) will have our voices heard.

As server activity is monitored by both PD and Sony, this is our chance to let it be known our dissatisfaction with: 1) GT6 as an unfinished product; and 2) PD's poor communication with its customers. Edit: More specifically, regarding in-game bugs, missing features, and upcoming content.

Please keep this thread clean and void of any negativity or hostility toward Kaz and PD, to ensure our message can spread.

Together, our voices will be heard. We come in peace to remind those at the top, that we, the paying customers, are the ones that truly have the power.

Please show your support for the cause by liking this post!

-gs

Edit: Don't forget, even logging in just for the bonus counts as "server activity".

If it is as bad as you say it is, you wouldn't need to call for a boycott.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back