GTHD vs FOrza2 Video on Gametrailers

• Thread starter RedOak
  • 61 comments
GTHD looks much more realistic, while Forza 2 doesn't have the same level of polish that GTHD has.

I agree with your statement. Unfortunately, for the casual player, Forza looks a lot more "WOW" then GTHD. (Sounds and Graphics/colors wise).

and i stress "unfortunately".

I don't understand why so many people bad mouth Forza, it's a great game, just as good as the GT series. It all depends on what system you own on which one you are going to get, if you own both systems chances are you are going to buy both.

I personally like Forza more, but a lot of that has to do with personal preference and the fact that it's online right now. GT5 will change on the online thing and maybe it will be better suited for my tastes.

I agree with your statement. Unfortunately, for the casual player, Forza looks a lot more "WOW" then GTHD. (Sounds and Graphics/colors wise).

and i stress "unfortunately".

I agree, Forza has a more lighthearted appeal and I particularly love the level of customisation, GT need to have custom paint jobs, it really extends the life of the game. GT still looks the better of the two but they aim at ever so slightly different markets.

However Forza 2 is nearly finished where as GT is no where near so we will have to wait a see how it pans out in the end...

You'll never be able to compare the two though since they are going to come out at the very least a year apart.

Whoops I misread the video thing.

GTHD has better environmental texture but the cars look almost the same.

I think it would have helped if they would have made the video to show the same cars instead of the Ferrari in GT and the Vette in Forza.

Meh whatever, I have a 360 so I'll buy Forza, I don't have a PS3 so I can't really play GTHD.

I disagree. GTHD's cars are far more detailed. Forza2's cars are very low quality in comparison.

I agree 100%. I have dowloaded the Forza 2 demo of Xbox Marketplace, so I actually have a direct comparison. The car models themselves looked really bad actually in the menu screen in forza 2. They looked plastic and the shine was all wrong. Furthermore, it seemed the polygon count wasn't close to GT-HD's. The actual cars whilst racing were, to my shock, just the same. Look, there's nothing wrong with Forza 2, so don't even start alright. It's just a direct comparison, and the fact is that the car models in GT-HD look far, far superior to Forza. But i guess the fact that they do have damage is the reason for their low poly looks (I don't know if they actually use less poly's than GT-HD, but it seems that way). I'm only giving critique concerning the car models; and it seems that Forza 2's aren't on par with GT-hd's, not by a long shot. This might sound cruel but i would even go as far as saying that Project Gotham 3's car models looked better than Forza 2. You have to remember that PGR3 ran with 30 FPS, whilst F2 runs at 60 FPS. Considering GT-HD runs smoothly with 60 FPS, and looks this good, one can only fault the damage model in Forza 2 for the way the cars look in comparison.

Do any of you think PD would ever sacrifice the graphics to this extent in order for them to incorperate damage????

it depends on how PD implements damage and coding skill. The damage modeling in forza 2 is not very realistic from what i've seen, but i cant think of any games off the top of my head that have realistic damage modeling. usually parts just pop off like a lego set with a fewdints and scrapes here and there, or they do the bodydeform thing like in LFS and viper racing.

I don't think it's possible for realistic damaging in any game with a lot of cars...that's a ton of coding to do.

700 cars, realistic damage on all the cars, and the physics for 700 damaged cars is going to be a lot of coding no matter how talented you are. Not to mention modeling as well. Semi-realistic damage is much easier.

GT
I agree 100%. I have dowloaded the Forza 2 demo of Xbox Marketplace, so I actually have a direct comparison. The car models themselves looked really bad actually in the menu screen in forza 2. They looked plastic and the shine was all wrong. Furthermore, it seemed the polygon count wasn't close to GT-HD's. The actual cars whilst racing were, to my shock, just the same. Look, there's nothing wrong with Forza 2, so don't even start alright. It's just a direct comparison, and the fact is that the car models in GT-HD look far, far superior to Forza. But i guess the fact that they do have damage is the reason for their low poly looks (I don't know if they actually use less poly's than GT-HD, but it seems that way). I'm only giving critique concerning the car models; and it seems that Forza 2's aren't on par with GT-hd's, not by a long shot. This might sound cruel but i would even go as far as saying that Project Gotham 3's car models looked better than Forza 2. You have to remember that PGR3 ran with 30 FPS, whilst F2 runs at 60 FPS. Considering GT-HD runs smoothly with 60 FPS, and looks this good, one can only fault the damage model in Forza 2 for the way the cars look in comparison.

Do any of you think PD would ever sacrifice the graphics to this extent in order for them to incorperate damage????

Totally agree, that's the same i felt after playing both demo's

700 cars, realistic damage on all the cars, and the physics for 700 damaged cars is going to be a lot of coding no matter how talented you are. Not to mention modeling as well. Semi-realistic damage is much easier.

Actually, with the CPU power of a PS3, active damage is could be very possible, and could look very realistic, without PD having to spend years, and tons of money on building a damage model. Who knows though... 👍

It's all speculation at this point, but, as I see it, GT5 will be focused on a more "simulation oriented" driver, where as, Forza 2 will just focus on anybody who loves cars, be it a sim fan, or a fan boy.

The comparison is between GTHD and Forza2. Not GT5 and Forza2.

Doesn't matter. Forza 2's demo is a representative of a full game. GT:HD will grow into zero. You're comparing next gen. engine to old gen. GT4 engine. GT:HD only shows GT4 in PS3 light really.

So, either compare Forza 1 to GT4 (Old gen. engines), or wait for GT5 to be compared to Forza 2. Comparing the old gen. engine of GT4 though to Forza 2 is not fair because Xbox fanboys already made the Forza/GT4 comparison with Forza 1.

IMHO, it's just a cheap way for Forza fanboys to get their jollies.

Way to go! Compare a full game to a demo...LOL And gthd's car models look better...Can't wait till gt5...Glad forza fanboys will be quiet for a while...But I expect to see major GT bashing done by them soon.

Actually, with the CPU power of a PS3, active damage is could be very possible, and could look very realistic, without PD having to spend years, and tons of money on building a damage model. Who knows though... 👍

It's all speculation at this point, but, as I see it, GT5 will be focused on a more "simulation oriented" driver, where as, Forza 2 will just focus on anybody who loves cars, be it a sim fan, or a fan boy.

I never said the PS3 couldn't handle it, but they would have to model every inch of the car as it would look damaged. Realistic damage would also vary from car to car, if I have say a Saturn Ion and I bump into something it might not do as much damage to the car as say if I bumped into something with a Dodge Ram. You won't see realistic damage for a long time on non racing cars, I doubt even in this gen of systems.

And just because someone liked Forza more then GT does not make them a fanboy. I happen to enjoy the Forza series more because it's what I'm looking for in a racing game and I have a greater joy in playing it. I would still like to try the GTHD, but if it's just GT4 with fancy graphics I probably won't like it as much. To me GT4 was a bit weak because it focused to heavily on racecar racing instead of normal cars, also I hated the way the cars sounded. And the 2 or 3 cars I had driven in real life that I drove on GT didn't seem quite right.

It all comes down to personal preference. Both series are great and like I said buy them based on the system you own, if you own both systems I see no reason why you shouldn't own both series of games. They are both going to have their positives and negatives.

I don't think you know what Active Damage is.

Active Damage is where the game dents, dings, and does what ever to the model of the car, and sometimes replaces textures, by doing mathematical calculations on what was hit, what should be damaged on the model, and by how much.

Say I hit a pole, dead center of the front of the car. The PS3 will calculate how fast I was going, what I hit, and how I hit it, and where it was hit, and then quickly render the model up while it is happening, or right after it happens, as to appear as if it was happening as I crashed.

It is a very advanced system, but it does exist, but consoles in the past just didn't have the power to run it. Now, they do. A "simple" version of this can be found in Live For Speed, but, seeing as Live For Speed is a "home made" product, it's not as advanced as it could be, perhaps, a max of 10-15% of what it is capable of.

But, the sound part. I agree, they do suck. Even on a 6.1 surround sound, only a rare few even slightly sounded correct. What my guess is, is they recorded the engine sound, then edited it in studio, and didn't bother recording, or using exhaust notes.

You still have to model what the damage looks like, the PS3 or any other game system for that matter does not know what 700 unwrecked cars look like. I'm not saying that that processing power of the PS3 can't handle, I'm saying a team of developers do not have the time and money to wreck, model and code 700 cars.

And yes I know it's dings and dents...this is exactly why you need to model it in different ways. Also you need to study how much damage is done to a vehicle if it gets hit. Like I said, so cars handle a whack to the side a bit better then others.

I wouldn't count on 700 cars for GT5. Personally I hope they even make 300.

I'm assuming the greatest number it could have. But even with 300 cars that's a lot of damage modeling.

I'm assuming the greatest number it could have. But even with 300 cars that's a lot of damage modeling.

Yeah, I only brought it up (not directly at you or the damage subject) because on many occasions I hear people refer to next GT with 700 cars, I just hope people are not expecting that, because I am pretty sure they will be quite disappointed.

Infact I don't for-see any visible damage, as much as players and PD want it. Neither with 20 pack fields (I expect 8 at most to be honest), GTHD looks so good and detailed I can't imagine even the powerful PS3 being able to provide that many cars. I hope I am wrong.

if they even manage 300 with alot of damage modeling,,
they probely go to 700 again although it takes alot of time, but then on the other hand i can wait for the Gt5 if they make both cars and tracks look as nice of what i seen in the gt: hd.. plus i tried forza and for me it sucks
( but those who playes it, u love it, and some of us don't ):indiff:

Ya I keep hearing 700 cars as well, but I tend to agree with you that it won't have that many. GT3 proved though you can have an awesome game with fewer cars in it.

Back