GTP GT5 Photomode FAQ & Tutorial Depot - Answers to questions here!

• Thread starter SlipZtrEm
  • 391 comments
I'm quite eager to experiment with the photomode myself, especially after learning to love it in Forza 3. Knowing this community, I'm sure we will be seeing some stunning results.

Any information if we can save the online races, i mean, it would be fun with 16 cars lined up and then take som pics =), just like in forza 3.

Clicked on one of the links in the thread description(the one about shutter speed) and after clicking "newer pic" I saw some awesome furniture !!!! (I am an 8 years old experience carpenter)

Awesome stuff dude!!! Cudos to you from Italy!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't know if this is the right place to ask but can one of you professional photoshopping guys give us (not so profesional )tips on how to improve the pictures to make it closer to realism?

I imagine one of the guys will be kind enough to post a tutorial at some point. I would, but the rest of I-C isn't going to gold itself ;).

I imagine one of the guys will be kind enough to post a tutorial at some point. I would, but the rest of I-C isn't going to gold itself ;).

Take your time mate it is sort of a long term project :D ,a tutorial would be veru usefull indeed it is just some of you guys skills are jaw dropping.

Long time reader, first time poster...

Gran Turismo 5 by needoptic, on Flickr

I was wondering about a couple of things:
  • In previous games GT used to have these dynamic replay cameras that would cycle through effects, angles, helicopter views, etc. Do you guys know if that's something that's going to be in this game? I get just regular replays right now.
  • Any way to capture photos from the "sky" cam?
  • Any easier way to transfer the pictures than to save, export to ps3, connect usb, etc?

I think that's all I got for now. :)

I was wondering about a couple of things:
  • In previous games GT used to have these dynamic replay cameras that would cycle through effects, angles, helicopter views, etc. Do you guys know if that's something that's going to be in this game? I get just regular replays right now.
  • Any way to capture photos from the "sky" cam?
  • Any easier way to transfer the pictures than to save, export to ps3, connect usb, etc?

I think that's all I got for now. :)

Welcome abroad!
  1. I don't see any dynamic replay cameras so far, but the free range camera (camera 1) can produce shots with unlimited possibilities. Unfortunately the location is limited to drivable area, so you may need extra walk to obtain unique angle.
  2. Instead of free range camera, there are few other cameras to play with, but they are non-movable (both location and height). You may have to be very lucky to spot a sky cam, or maybe never.
  3. It seems that we cannot batch export to xmb, nor save to usb directly. Maybe Kaz wants you to have a second thought before exporting to xmb?

How do I get the pictures to output a resolution of 5760x3240? the 18 megapixel pics...is this possible with our version of GT5 or is it something only PD did for marketing purposes?

Did you try to set 2x magnification within camera menu?

let me try that out..

it won't let me access the 2x magnification during replay race mode...is it only accessible in photo travel?

Last edited:
Race replay maximum resolution is 1920x1080, which is 1X with 16:9 ratio. Photo travel is the only place can go 2X magnification.

I can find no "Mode" option (Automatic or Manual), or "Camera Effects" option when I use Photo-mode. Are the pics you're using in the OP from a (dare I say it) older build of the game, or am I just blind and haven't seen those options? :dunce:

Is it right that there's a small loss of quality of the pics after you copied them to an USB stick and view them on the PC?

It looks like some kind of filter is removed, also sometimes it's much darker than when I took the pic.

Lol i ended up making one before seeing this thread
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/941103-gran-turismo-5/57262447
Anywho, I believe "Cross processing" is a spin-off (or a horrible recreation of) HDR
Panning mode's (dont see it discussed):embarrassed:ne doesn't "pan" anything, so lower the shutter, and everything's blurred (example). I find panning mode two to actually "pan" the car better than three, though it appears they both do the same thing (Example)
I think it'd be good to actually say what "tilt shift" is, as unless they own a DSLR, they probably have no idea wth it is ;p. I wrote In real life only the center stays in focus and the rest of the image is blurred, regardless of distance. Done correctly it makes everything blurred out look smaller
I also really want to try the light streak technique to see if it'd work (night race/lights on/low shutter/possibly low exposure/no panning mode)
Brought to you by your friendly amateur photographer

Thank you Franz for answering some questions!

I can find no "Mode" option (Automatic or Manual), or "Camera Effects" option when I use Photo-mode. Are the pics you're using in the OP from a (dare I say it) older build of the game, or am I just blind and haven't seen those options? :dunce:

Yep, they're from pre-release days. The first post will be changing very soon to better reflect the final product.

Holy 🤬 SlipZtrEm thanks so much for the OP I was so damn lost in photomode today

It's a bit cumbersome at first since we've got the free-roam, so glad this could help!

Is it right that there's a small loss of quality of the pics after you copied them to an USB stick and view them on the PC?

It looks like some kind of filter is removed, also sometimes it's much darker than when I took the pic.

Hrm, I haven't heard of any quality loss with a transfer yet. I'll test that out when I get the chance.

If it's darker, it may just be your TV versus monitor settings. A lot of people experienced that in GT4 as well.

How do you post your pictures here?

Search and ye shall find :).

Race replay maximum resolution is 1920x1080, which is 1X with 16:9 ratio. Photo travel is the only place can go 2X magnification.

it seems when I do 2x magnify the resolution is 3500something X 2000 soemthing...it's still not these dimensions: 5760x3240

Has anyone been able to get pics with this res: 5760x3240

maybe it's an unlockable...3x magnification???

Maybe you can try this. It's similar.

How to post my entry in competitions?

So I have to upload the pictures into the internet (like imageshack) then post it here by using the
?

So I have to upload the pictures into the internet (like imageshack) then post it here by using the
?

Yeah exactly!

granturismo.com
Filters
Monochrome: Remove colors to produce a black-and-white image.
Extreme Monochrome: Produces the same black-and-white effect as Monochrome, but with sharper blacks.
Sepia: Produces a light brown monochrome image that gives the look of faded black-and-white film.
Cool: Produces an image with a blue tone, and darkens the edges.
Warm: Produces an image with a red tone, and darkens the edges.
Cross-Processing: Deliberately upset the color balance of the image.
Miniature: Obscure the front and rear of the subject with a lens tilt to give a miniaturizing effect.
Partial Color: Make the subject stand out by rendering the area surrounding it in monochrome.

Panning
Follow the moving car with the camera in order to capture your shot. The slower you set the shutter speed, the more blurry the background will become, giving a greater feeling of speed.

There are three panning modes, which are as follows

Mode 1:
The camera stays in a fixed position and turns to follow the car. Because the car's distance from the camera varies, this can cause it to blur slightly
Mode 2:
The camera moves with the car. When taking a photo of a cornering or spinning car, focus will be centred on the middle of the car, which can cause the front and rear to go slightly out of focus.
Mode 3:
The camera moves with the car, and is positioned face-on to the front of the vehicle. This allows you to take a photo where the car is sharply in focus, and only the background becomes blurred.

Sorry for the dumb question. Have there been any posts on how to get the images to open with photoshop and be able to edit them. When I try it says some aspect of the file is corrupt etc... and won't let me edit them. Thanks!

Hey, I have a question.

How do you get the photos off grand turismo and onto the web or your computer?

Dude i don't even have GT5 yet, but just by reading the thread's first AND MOST IMPORTANT POST, you can see it tells you that you have to EXPORT PICTURE to XMB than TRANSFER it to the device you're using (ex USB FLASH)....than you take the usb and stick it in your PC (or your a**)

And for direct web upload, whenever you get the option that sais UPLOAD, after clicking it you will get a screen that will ask you where you want to import pic from and you have multiple choices depending what you have plugd in your PSTriple or direcly from HDD (ex USB flash, USB HDD, USB phone etc)....and it's all downhill from there.

Hope that helped... -_-

Can we have a thread for people with no galleries to post out pictures in it.(abit like post your latest pics in the Forza thread).Too much galleries.

Back