GTP_WRS (GT5) Week 5 : That Thing is an Isuzu? Really?

• Thread starter EDK
  • 434 comments
A little late with this combo, but luckily it's a quite easy one:
T1: 23.606
T2: 22.996

Blinding speed? not really. I'm not only acting on his behalf, I'm acting on my own behalf because I don't like were this is going and it's one of the reasons I've not been competing in the wrs. Poor attitudes.

Geez blokes like you make me laugh....... I'm sure if there was anything that Chuk found offensive he would have piped up and questioned us. Even he himself admitted he was out of place this week due to hrs spent.... has that not sunk in?

As it is, you, an outsider who isn't running in the series feels the need to weigh in with your 2cents and have that as gospel....

Of course it's a compitition as it should be and of course sometimes things get heated but that does not mean slower guys can't on ocasion run fast competitive laps. Especially on a short relatively easy combo.

Relatively easy? Care to throw your hat in the ring and set a time for all us slowpokes champ:dunce:?

I wish I hadn't caused a stink, but there it is. I didn't run the last few weeks much because of a shoulder injury and a heavy workload. I don't mind being questioned, and kind of expect it, because my results can vary dramatically from week to week. This week I'm fast, and as been pointed out, I should be given the time I put into it. I have no delusions about being a great driver, I just like to see how fast I can go. I don't expect to ever be an alien.
In the Academy, I finished about 120th overall in round 1. I'm usually about .5 to 1.0 seconds behind the top drivers. But thirty hours in a week is nothing for me. I've been known to race a combo for upwards of eighty hours in a single week. Seriously. Maybe that explains the shoulder injury!
Anyway, my division placement will have to take care of itself because there is nothing I can do about it. I can't promote myself. I'm also not trying to take any joy away from the other D3 drivers, I'm just running the best I can, whenever I can.

Hey Chuk, please don't think you've caused a stink..... i was only picking your brain as to how you managed the time after being back through the first 4 weeks. I no way would i question your integrity or actions as a couple of chaps from the cheap seats have insinuated. The time is incredible for your division and the one above it also!! I'm bloody jealous that i don't have that sort of time to devote to my passion....

Last edited:
Yep thats basically the definition of sandbagging good job.

IMO if you only spent 1hr on the qualifier you should only do 1hr each week.

or redo the qualifier now that its open again.
Maybe you should redo the qualifier since you aren't able to perform up to your division's level.

@Chuk You don't need to feel sorry for having extra time this week. Some people are just in this for the wrong reasons.

Edit: This just gave me an interesting idea for a competition, though. You could have a speed-time-trial challenge, where you have to set a timer and only run the combo for 30 or 60 minutes. It would be interesting to see how people do with such a limited time. Even better would be using a track that was just created. [Unless people already do this in the racing forum... too lazy to go look. :)]

Last edited:
T1 0'24.233
T2 0'24.167

Not nearly as fast as the other guys but I think its reasonable for my first WRS

New splits:

T1: 0'24.789
T2: 0'25.318

Overall time is improving. Think the T3 is the best part of the track

This is my first WRS and its a very fun car to drive. I am still waiting to see what division i will be in.

T1: 0'24.553
T2: 0'23.569

@Chuk You don't need to feel sorry for having extra time this week.

Imagine what will happen when you spend some serious time on the WRS, eh Chuk? :crazy: :lol:
See you in the AM, buddy.
As for any others on our friends lists, join us online after 8 AM, Eastern for some fun.
Edit: This just gave me an interesting idea for a competition, though. You could have a speed-time-trial challenge, where you have to set a timer and only run the combo for 30 or 60 minutes. It would be interesting to see how people do with such a limited time.

As this type of competition was used in Prologue (with unlimited practice) we will most likely see it again.

My splits after my first hour using Chuk's great feeling setup and Rudi's gears.
No LSD either, I hear it gives some people illusions of sorts.

Been quicker in the second sector so I'm looking to get back at this really fun combo.

I saw a magical 23.230 T2 tonight, but of course then lost it, in disbelief.
Switched to the DFGT tonight, and it was worth it!

As this type of competition was used in Prologue (with unlimited practice) we will most likely see it again.
That looks cool... like a test of consistency or performing under pressure. I'd like to see one where an admin hosts a room with a created track to test how fast you can find the best lines.

I can not crack T2, it is charmed. No matter what driving line or style, there is just a brick wall at 23.000.

T1 and T3 I get, except rarely in same lap :banghead::banghead:

I am so looking forward to see some replays on monday!

T1: 23.700
T2: 23.058

Slower than previous, but made up for it in T3.

Busy week, MR car (or should I say spaceship?), DS3, and although I always have betters times when I tune the suspension, I cannot tune THIS car... I just can't...
Hope I can still lead my division...

Happy Sunday to all of you!

Late to the party.

T1: 23.651
T2: 23.079

Kinda pissed however as I said I'd have one more go, was 0.12 up at T2 and botched it. :grumpy:

Submitted with the time on the board. (760 miles this week)
I also had some extra time this week as football was on tv instead of most of my Mrs's soap opera's.
Accuse me of sand bagging, I dare you.

Last edited:
Submitted with times posted.....

Great improvement over the week mate. Keep at it and you'll suddenly hit the sweet spot and take a huge leap forward 👍

I managed a run last night that was 0.1 up on my best at T2 then put a wheel off on the last bend.... its a killer - I know I can go faster but the pressure fried my brain :dopey: So submitted with current splits.

Good luck you guys - another great week's running 👍

Great improvement over the week mate. Keep at it and you'll suddenly hit the sweet spot and take a huge leap forward 👍

Thanks to your tune and tips! I just started using manual trans, so it's a learning process.

You certainly had some nice splits!

I managed a run last night that was 0.1 up on my best at T2 then put a wheel off on the last bend.... its a killer - I know I can go faster but the pressure fried my brain :dopey: So submitted with current splits.

Good luck you guys - another great week's running 👍

I was going to give it another try today but burn-out is setting in! :crazy:

And good luck to everyone as well!!

I've not read the whole of whats been discussed in this thread, so I'm not going to offer an opinion to one side or the other. However I will throw in my two cents regarding why I personally havent been active since WRS got back under way.

Number one is time really. At my core there is a racer. If i'm honest, although I obviously do enjoy challenging myself to improving lap times, I much prefer to race my friends online, and so whenever I do have time with GT5 I'm usually racing not hot lapping.

Number two is the format the WRS seems to have favoured. Ie tuned combos. My passion is equal racing, and to be able to test driving skill against my peers is great. But testing my experience in tuning a car in GT5 isn't why I had an interest in the WRS. I was put off at week one so admittedly I havent poked my head in as often as I might.

Number three is attitude. I've expressed my concern about this quite vocally at times. There are some very friendly guys that I've been fortunate enough to befriend from the WRS. But there are still a few that look to belittle drivers who dont share thier elitist views of the WRS. Its a great shame. I was fortunate, I joined the WRS and was helped massively to improve by a select few. Even then though, I felt like I was being ignored by long time WRS guys simply because I was new. Very strange.

Number four is sandbagging. I absolutely hate it. Especially in the context of this competition. Its week five now and judging from the discussion above nothing has been resolved. Its by no way the fault of the organisers, they do a stellar job of running the WRS. Neither is it guys like chuckabilly who put in lots of time but struggle with personal issues. Its the very weird individuals who like to put themselves amongst people they know to be slower, only to beat them by a massive margin next time out. They aren't here to compete or challenge themselves, they just enjoy being number one, even if there is no meaning to it. They're pathetic, and they spoil the experience for everyone else. Whats more is once they get promoted and start being beaten they dont compete again. Absolutely pointless.

I'll be back when I feel like there's a place for me. Right now I dont have the time or patience. I thought the more competitors the better the experience would be. I was wrong about that. I prefered having 20-30 dedicated drivers who prescribed to the idea of fair racing. 👍

Sorry to go on.. I just wanted to say that :)

Hello to everyone by the way. Hope to see some of you in the monthly race series :D

Its the very weird individuals who like to put themselves amongst people they know to be slower, only to beat them by a massive margin next time out. They aren't here to compete or challenge themselves, they just enjoy being number one, even if there is no meaning to it. They're pathetic, and they spoil the experience for everyone else. Whats more is once they get promoted and start being beaten they dont compete again. Absolutely pointless.
Considering that there haven't been any promotions yet, there is no one matching your description. :confused:

Edit: And weeks 2, 3, and 4 were un-tuned, so you should just check each week. But I don't understand why you're so mad about the actions of other people, if you supposedly understand that the point is to challenge yourself and improve. Just come race and ignore them. ;)

Last edited:
A couple of tenths Chuk will find you in the Top 5 overall mate. As it is now you are safely inside the Top 10.....

How many hours have you sunk into this week?...... because as it stands right now you are well into D2 Gold territory with those splits/times... which is 👍

Well, I'm not easily insulted, nor do I feel any inquiry into my speed is unjustified. :)

I didn't sandbag the qualifier, though I'm guilty of not giving it my best shot. Some would say that's the definition of sandbagging, and I don't have any good rebuttal to that. I spent an hour on the qualifier, and about 30 hours on this week.
That being said (or typed), I love you all and look forward to many more weeks of racing. :cheers:
:gtpflag:

I truly do not believe this conversation should have progressed beyond this stage. And it certainly has no need to go any further than this now with people still weighing in with their so called 2 cents.

During WRS GT5P, I did only 3 rounds of WRS and qualified for D3 silver. Since then, of course I want to get back up the rankings. Why should I do the qualifier again? I qualified at a lower spot because I didn't spend enough time, and I am not complaining. Instead, I have placed top 3 so far 3 out of 4 rounds. And with round 5, I am doing quite well. I am hungry for those promotions, as well as improving my driving skill in GT5 as well as in real life. Just don't be so hasty to try to judge people is all I ask.
Maybe you should redo the qualifier since you aren't able to perform up to your division's level.

There will be NO re-running of the GTP Registry Qualifier. It is a ONE TIME DEAL that you either give a typical effort to, an effort that goes above and beyond the hours you can spend weekly and as a result may not perform as well weekly as you did in the quali, or one that you did not dedicate time to and as a result do better throughout the weeks, or heaven forbid, improve as the series goes on. But one thing is absoultely for sure, you get one attempt at representing yourself through the qualifier, the rest is down to promotions, requested demotions, or in the case of a bad submission possibly a DQ, strike and later resubmission.

This is also NOT the sort of community where you dictate to somebody else how many hours "in your opinion" someone else should run. There is no limit, there is no rule on level of participation. For crying out loud, you don't even have to participate every week, so where anyone gets off telling someone else they are restricted to running a particular number of hours per week with absolutely no knowledge of their lifestyle or circumstances is beyond me.

I myself put in 7 hours on each sector of the quali over a 2 and a half week period as 7 hours on one combo is extremely typical of my late-Prologue WRS participation. Less so in fact.

30 hours :dunce: :crazy:

You should be put in a straitjacket and locked up for that!!! I'm flat out holding attention for more than 3-4hrs on any challenge..... i spent 3hrs this week.

After spending 30hrs on this i'm not surprised you are up the ladder... but keep in mind the Aliens (D1) are spending probably 10% of that time to achieve their times... so maybe not a true reflection of what you are trying to achieve.... don't get me wrong, they are impressive times, but after 30hrs they'd want to be.

Goodness, where does that leave me and Carl then? :lol: I remember the first week I got a wheel I spent 60 hours that week on GT5 Prologue WRS 24 (Ferrari F430 @ Eiger) just to make roughly 6th in D2 or something, and Carl had got his wheel in the same week dedicating the same amount of time.

I was on Easter break from work, I dunno what Posey's excuse was :D

Don't take WRS more seriously than needed people. If chukability's ability (!) is not reflected in his division placement he will be promoted eventually. Yes it can bee seen as sandbagging to only put an hour into the qualifier if you know for a fact that you will put many more hours into each WRS week but that doesn't seem to be the case here.

in the first few weeks there are bound to be people who are in the wrong division. You could even argue that both Vagabond and osrg have sandbagged the qualifier. :D

Again, a very nice standout place where this discussion could have respectfully been put to bed with some very good points Thomas 👍

Edit: This just gave me an interesting idea for a competition, though. You could have a speed-time-trial challenge, where you have to set a timer and only run the combo for 30 or 60 minutes. It would be interesting to see how people do with such a limited time. Even better would be using a track that was just created. [Unless people already do this in the racing forum... too lazy to go look. :)]

Something quite similar was done for Week 38:
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=118371

I've not read the whole of whats been discussed in this thread, so I'm not going to offer an opinion to one side or the other. However I will throw in my two cents regarding why I personally havent been active since WRS got back under way.

Number one is time really. At my core there is a racer. If i'm honest, although I obviously do enjoy challenging myself to improving lap times, I much prefer to race my friends online, and so whenever I do have time with GT5 I'm usually racing not hot lapping.

Number two is the format the WRS seems to have favoured. Ie tuned combos. My passion is equal racing, and to be able to test driving skill against my peers is great. But testing my experience in tuning a car in GT5 isn't why I had an interest in the WRS. I was put off at week one so admittedly I havent poked my head in as often as I might.

We've had 4 weeks completed so far, 1 has included tuning, 3 have been arcade time trials. That's not quite the situation you are describing is it? Now I know you've just said you haven't poked your head in here for a while and therefore aren't fully up to speed, and you've also said that you haven't read this thread so you're not completely up to date with what everyone's discussing and where they're coming from....and I think for those reasons you are not entirely justified in making the post you have just to express your personal dissatisfaction with the direction of WRS currently. I think you should have read all the necessary things you cited before offering your 2 cents.

But then, that's just my 2 cents, and maybe that will be as unwelcome as some of the other cents thrown into this thread.

Number three is attitude. I've expressed my concern about this quite vocally at times. There are some very friendly guys that I've been fortunate enough to befriend from the WRS. But there are still a few that look to belittle drivers who dont share thier elitist views of the WRS. Its a great shame. I was fortunate, I joined the WRS and was helped massively to improve by a select few. Even then though, I felt like I was being ignored by long time WRS guys simply because I was new. Very strange.

You say attitude, but come on, you yourself have only entered this thread to voice dissatisfaction and negativity. What positive effect are you having on this thread by coming in and saying that most of these guys who are now doing WRS have the wrong attitude? The amount of positive feedback, tips, support and general camraderie that I have witnessed in the first 4 weeks of WRS in GT5 have far outweighed what you are implying. And if you look at my first 2 quotes in this post, you'll see that there was no reason at all for animosity or acrimony to permeate through this thread.

Number four is sandbagging. I absolutely hate it. Especially in the context of this competition. Its week five now and judging from the discussion above nothing has been resolved.

You make it sound as though WRS is crumbling under the weight of sandbagging and out-of-place drivers. I suggest you read this whole thread before commenting further on your perceived issues with the situation of WRS currently.

I'll be back when I feel like there's a place for me. Right now I dont have the time or patience.

This sounds like the issue is not WRS but your situation and attitude. There will always be a place for you in WRS when you want it. 👍

All the best
Maz

I've not read the whole of whats been discussed in this thread, so I'm not going to offer an opinion to one side or the other.
Sides? There are no "sides" I can see, just a few folks with differing ideas, one or two of whom are more vocal than others.

Number one is time really.
Fair enough... if it doesn't fit, don't wear it :)

Number two is the format the WRS seems to have favoured. Ie tuned combos.
Only 2 out of 5 weeks so far have featured tuning... not bad odds. But the tuning weeks present a different challenge and there has to be a place for that, even if it doesn't suit everyone.

This is a strange view... I've seen no evidence of any elitist attitudes here from regular competitors. A couple of the fastest guys share their tunes and even their techniques. You can't ask for more than that... Its always going to be the case in a forum that some people feel they are being ignored since not everyone can answer every post they read. Some people stick out more due to their lap times or style of writing but its basically a mxing pot of thoughts, ideas, and personalities. Take it as a given that your contributions are a part of the whole and don't require validating to make you feel noticed. Some folk here say very little, simply post their splits and vanish again 'til the next week - they are still taking part and enriching WRS with their contribution.

Number four is sandbagging.
A tricky one, since its hard to prove... the only solution really being the "sandbaggers" ending up in the division in which they seem to be competing regularly. The qualifier for this registry is a tricky one and not everyone gets on well at the 'ring. People have varying amounts of free time and enthusiasm but, given time, it levels out. Chuk, on the face of it, seems to be a sandbagger... so do I for that matter. In my case, well I didn't put enough time into the qualifier through circumstance, neither did Chuk. He did, however, spend a disproportionate amount of time on this week and his result reflects that. The same is true of others in a similar position. Does this detract from the fun or the competition? I don't think so and its a shame you feel it does. No matter what division you are in, you are still the same overall which is what matters. You seem to be picking out the few bad seeds in a good sack which is an unfortunate human condition.

I'll be back when I feel like there's a place for me.
There's a place for you when you want there to be. WRS won't change to fit your ideal, you need to just join in and get over your hang-ups about certain individuals.

Right now I dont have the time or patience.
This is the key, eh? See you when you decide the rest of the rubbish is not what's important. 👍 :)

Out of curiosity, what's with the rule about the oil indicator light? Is there some advantage to running on old oil, or is it just to make sure that no one starts off at a disadvantage?

If you run the power down that far, you can add more parts and therefore get more torque, theoretically making your car faster.

Chuk has been around this forum and WRS a lot longer than you have. I'd be careful about projecting intentions.

Pretty close to done....? You seem very casual about being fastest in D3 by miles (for the first time) not to mention the fact you are beating most of D2 and alot of D1 as well... not to be insulting or judgemental but your first 3 weeks results were average for your division; where has this sudden turn of speed come from? :odd:

Look back to GT4 WRS results if you want to know where this "sudden" turn of speed came from.

Have a read through this thread. https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=99492

And here are the results for that week. https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=99695

That events is from nearly 3 1/2 years ago. I'd hardly call the speed "sudden".

Just out of curiosity Chuk, did you run the GT5P qualifier, and if so, what Division were you in?

Chuk was D2 in GT4 WRS.

Number four is sandbagging. I absolutely hate it. Especially in the context of this competition. Its week five now and judging from the discussion above nothing has been resolved. Its by no way the fault of the organisers, they do a stellar job of running the WRS. Neither is it guys like chuckabilly who put in lots of time but struggle with personal issues. Its the very weird individuals who like to put themselves amongst people they know to be slower, only to beat them by a massive margin next time out. They aren't here to compete or challenge themselves, they just enjoy being number one, even if there is no meaning to it. They're pathetic, and they spoil the experience for everyone else. Whats more is once they get promoted and start being beaten they dont compete again. Absolutely pointless.

Well, as Maz and others have said, we've had 2 tuning weeks and 3 arcade weeks. When week 6 goes up, it will be arcade again, no tuning. So 66% of the events have no tuning, but we are favoring it?

We'll be doing a first round of promotions after week 4 is official. I think we have a few outliers, but in general, this qualifier did a fairly good job or sorting drivers by ability.

I don't think we have a lot of intentional sandbagging going on. I think people are really energetic (good attitude) about these first rounds of WRS, and are putting the time in.

Finally, on a personal note.

I know Chuk personally and have been fortunate to spend time racing LAN at his house. I fully trust Chuk and his intentions and you will all have to trust me when I say his integrity should not be put in question.

He didn't have all the time he would have liked for the qualifier, and had sent me a PM regarding his placement. Again, having raced Chuk, I know his potential is D2. But based on the time he had for the qualifier, and the potential for limited time to run the weekly events, his placement stayed where he ranked with the qualifier. If he continues to perform at his current level, he will be promoted. End of story.

EDK
We'll be doing a first round of promotions after week 4 is official.
Sweet! That's some inspiration to go look for replays to check.

Edit: No NTSC replays to check that I could find, mainly thanks to the checking-machine DDiamond. :)

Last edited:
EDK
Look back to GT4 WRS results if you want to know where this "sudden" turn of speed came from.

Have a read through this thread. https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=99492

And here are the results for that week. https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=99695

That events is from nearly 3 1/2 years ago. I'd hardly call the speed "sudden".
I thought we'd put this to bed already Kev. It was "sudden" from my, admittedly limited, perspective. I admire Chuk's dedication given the amount of time he puts in when he can and his improvement over the week is just as impressive, for which I have given him due accord, so there is no need for further chiding sarcasm. :)

I thought we'd put this to bed already Kev. It was "sudden" from my, admittedly limited, perspective. I admire Chuk's dedication given the amount of time he puts in when he can and his improvement over the week is just as impressive, for which I have given him due accord, so there is no need for further chiding sarcasm. :)

We have put it to bed, I was simply putting the last nail in the coffin.

While I may have taken your post out of context, it should cause you to be sure you have a full understanding of the situation before throwing accusations around.

EDK
While I may have taken your post out of context, it should cause you to be sure you have a full understanding of the situation before throwing accusations around.

My original post does, on reflection, come across as quite abrupt and I have to admit my surprise at Chuk's "sudden" speed caused a knee-jerk reaction (my post) but I felt Chuk's counter and my response to that showed no animosity. :) Message received and understood, however ;)

My nail is shinier :sly:

I have only had a wheel since Christmas so I'm still learning. Me & Lefty used to race each other In the NFS Shift league & we was always close, We both come to the WRS & were still close but now have the threat of a 12 year old little lefty all over us.
Doing these events Is so fun & challenging what with comfort tyres & all that, The only time I run on comfort/sports Is In the WRS & sometimes when I run with guys from SCC. You learn so much regarding smoothness, Braking & throttle control & It opens up a whole new leval of enjoyment from the cars & the game.
I find I'm bettering myself, Which Is my goal, But most of all enjoying It. hhich to me Is the best part of all.
There's some really quick guys on here that pump really quick times. Good for them thats what I say. Dedication rewards. Respect guys.
Each division seem really close & competitive & were only on week 5 the boards will change over the next few months as people's addictions for these enjoyable events progress these skill to a new high.

So lets give each other some support & enjoy It gents.

Back