GTP_WRS-Online : Academy/D-League Racing - Suspended Until GT7

I'm sad to see the academy being stopped for some time :( and I hope it returns better in the next season.

Thank you Sjaak for hosting the academy, thanks to the instructors, thanks to everyone participated in the academy, thanks to everyone who make it happen.

Thank you Sjaak, Tim, Al for making this happen. To all fellow rookie drivers whom I raced, check out the different threads of the WRS, I am sure there are things you will like, racing there is as fun as in the Academy/DL-league. Hope to race you all in the future again. 👍

Thanks from me too to everyone who has done this (making it happen) and fellow drivers to join it. It's been fun and most needed. See you later somewhere....

Bummer that there won't be any more academy events for awhile. I only got a taste of it (two weekends) but it definitely played a role in me wanting to take part in online racing more. Anyone who would like to do unofficial sprint races and what not feel free to add my GTP_ account.

Well, I too hope the Academy will return after this break. I'd also like to thank everybody, "behind the camera" so to say :D.

Sjaak
Please feel free to join the Wednesday races,you are ready for it.
Well, if I can find time for it, I might join once I feel fast enough :lol:.

I hope to see you all sometime, again :gtpflag:!

Indeed, thanks to Sjaak for running this and and for all the pointers I've gotten from all the racers.

There is an upside, no? It's my understanding that the season is ending so that we can all concentrate on GTAcademy starting 7/2! Perhaps as the weeks progress, we could have GTPlanet Academy on GTAcademy?!?!? Would that be like looking at the reflection of a mirror in a mirror?

Please feel free to join the Wednesday races,you are ready for it.:)
I don't know that I'm ready for Wednesdays, but I do feel more confident about participating.:dopey:

Bummer that there won't be any more academy events for awhile. I only got a taste of it (two weekends) but it definitely played a role in me wanting to take part in online racing more. Anyone who would like to do unofficial sprint races and what not feel free to add my GTP_ account.

I'm up for unofficial sprint races, I'll FR you when I get back on. Anyone else? :)

I don't know that I'm ready for Wednesdays, but I do feel more confident about participating.:dopey:
I think you guys here are all ready for the bigger races. First thing you learned here is being on track with others around you.
Set your own goal before the race and try to make it. A win isn't even in my reach. :sly:

That was our intention in starting this Academy/ D-League, getting the lower division guys confident on track in a race so we could get even bigger grids in the Weekly and Special events. Don't be shy guys! You all have the needed knowlegde and experience now! :)

Thanks for the words guys,👍

And for some GTP WRS Saturday racing,you guys are free to come up with ideas and using a 3D3 lounge.(if it is free ofcourse)

I think you guys here are all ready for the bigger races. First thing you learned here is being on track with others around you.
Set your own goal before the race and try to make it. A win isn't even in my reach. :sly:

That was our intention in starting this Academy/ D-League, getting the lower division guys confident on track in a race so we could get even bigger grids in the Weekly and Special events. Don't be shy guys! You all have the needed knowlegde and experience now! :)
Can you please supply a link to the Wed night races? Thanks

I'll be in the lounge this Sat. same bat time same bat lounge and I was thinking about an unofficial hour long LaSarth athon race for anyone who'z game. I've been putting in some time on the track w/ the Corvette and even though I won't win the TT I'm comfortable w/ knocking out my same time every lap so show up if you have a hankering for some long seat time :)

I'll be in the lounge this Sat. same bat time same bat lounge and I was thinking about an unofficial hour long LaSarth athon race for anyone who'z game. I've been putting in some time on the track w/ the Corvette and even though I won't win the TT I'm comfortable w/ knocking out my same time every lap so show up if you have a hankering for some long seat time :)

I'm out of town early Saturday, but if I get back soon enough and I'm not a liability, I'll drop by!

Sounds good man. Count me in. (If anything changes I'll let you know.)

I'm a bit sad to see the Academy abandoned as it is Summer and I'd actually have time to play. Any D4/5 folks planning on doing the Wednesday races? I'm pretty slow, but I enjoyed doing some of them last summer. I found the faster guys to be very patient and clean when lapping. One week (I think my first) they did a reverse grid and even though I was holding things up, everyone waited until they could get by cleanly. I'm sure it messed up some people's race, but they seemed happy to have some lower division guys participating. I certainly learned a lot from participating 👍.

Yes all D3-D5 drivers can join the races on wednesday and are welcome. I remember my few first races when i join in. Many times i was last one but that didn't stop me because that's the only way to learn race better. Sure you'll make lot of mistakes under pressure but you learn to control the presssure and you start making better races and start enjoying. It's more fun when room is full of drivers from all divisions.

Like Jammy said, should definitely give it a go. There are a few of us who started racing in the Wednesday races when we were in Div4/5.

Hope to see you on track sometime 👍

I would love to see more of the lower division guys racing on a Wednesday. Just like Jammy said, spending track time around faster guys helps you develop your skills, you watch their lines, see exactly what corners you are losing time on etc etc. Not only that, it will make pit strategy more important.

It doesn't always happen, but the majority of the time, when the leaders pit they come out in clean air, due to how close the pack usually is. If you have some slower drivers in the field, it makes it more likely that the leaders will come out in traffic, yes the slower drivers could ruin the race for one of the leaders, but that's part of racing.

Having to judge when to pit based on other cars on track instead of just going on tyre wear or fuel consumption would add another level of excitement to the races.

Personally I would like to see an event with say D1-3 in GT cars and D4-5 in LMP2 cars. There isn't a huge gap in performance of the cars, but the 'better' skill of the faster guys should make up the deficit. It wouldn't make a difference to the race, obviously everyone aims to win races, but I would say the main goal of racers in the WRS is to win their class, and challenge the class above. So even if the D4-5 guys are all ahead of the D1-3 guys, It wouldn't matter :)

We decided to take the summer off partly because the participation had dropped right off. I do not have to teach karate classes in the summer so I too have more time on Saturdays. There is a possibility that I can put some academy dates together if there is enough interest. But keep in mind that when I started out, I did not have the benefit of the Academy. I jumped right in to the Wed. races, I raced alone alot but it was still the racing highlight of my week!

Al

We decided to take the summer off partly because the participation had dropped right off. I do not have to teach karate classes in the summer so I too have more time on Saturdays. There is a possibility that I can put some academy dates together if there is enough interest. But keep in mind that when I started out, I did not have the benefit of the Academy. I jumped right in to the Wed. races, I raced alone alot but it was still the racing highlight of my week!

Al

I certainly understand taking the summer off. I hope I came across as disappointed and not as whining :nervous:. I just signed up for the regular WRS event. Looking forward to it!

I certainly understand taking the summer off. I hope I came across as disappointed and not as whining :nervous:. I just signed up for the regular WRS event. Looking forward to it!

No No No, not whining at all! I was disappointed in the participation of late too. Getting the discussion going may peak others interest.

Al

- I might join in, if anything is scheduled, in good time. Well, if everybody wants me to join :lol:👍.

I have been thoroughly enjoying the Academy and I'm learning a lot, not just from racing with faster drivers but also from the post-racing analysis. 👍

Though it may not be for a couple of weeks, I will join on Wednesdays as soon as my schedule lines up.

Sorry I couldn't join on Saturday. I couldn't get back in time. I probably will have to miss this weekend also, due to family commitments. But I will have my Saturdays back after that and will attend any organized instruction blocks. :)

Well there are a few of us who might be up for some Saturday academy racing so I will see what I can do to commit to a few dates. As for next weekend I am running in the F1 race and Saturday is qualifying. So lets see if we can informally get something together for July 13th. Please post if you are interested, it would be at our usual Academy time slot. 18:00/19:00 GMT

Al

So no academy saturday? That would be a shame isn't the qualifying a few hours later. Didn't have time on saturday last two weeks but i'm still interested.

So no academy saturday? That would be a shame isn't the qualifying a few hours later. Didn't have time on saturday last two weeks but i'm still interested.

Mika, you must have missed the notice that the Academy is on summer break and will be back officially in Sept. Sorry I have to pick and choose my seat time on the weekends. I will be committing to the F1 race this weekend. This doesn't mean you guys can't meet and race together on your own!!!!

Al

If you guys want some close racing practice I highly recommend you check out the next parity event which is now open to new registrations and will be held on July 13 and 14th (you can register for either or both).

If you haven't participated in a parity event before they are low key unofficial races and provide really good practice for tight quarters racing. Since every driver is picking their car/settings to achieve the same target lap time you'll also get an opportunity to race with drivers you usually see very rarely on track which is a good change of pace. Consistency is key rather than pure pace.

The only requirement is you have to put in enough time and laps before the race so that you can properly set the specs of you car to stay close to the target time without *ever* going under. If you don't put in enough time up front you'll find yourself going under the target time as you get up to speed on race day which is against the spirit of the event (e.g. parity). There are a couple sprints at the start to "fine tune" things, but you should be pretty close by that point.

:cheers:

Hey guys, it's been forever since I posted. I will be checking back in sometime in Oct when my Show season is done with the Snowbirds. I tried to take my PS3 & DFGT along in our support truck but was way too busy with the team to get it out. Looking forward to some more quality instruction in the D League. I'll need it after my extended break!

In the mean time I'll have to try to be happy upside down at 300 knots! ;-))

Tombstone
Aka "RoscoE"
Snowbird 10
Team Coordinator

Hey all. Just thought I'd drop in here and try to stir up some interest in the Wednesday night races. I learn a lot and enjoy these events as they are, but if some D4 and fellow D5 guys joined, it'd be even better! I usually can't make the EU race, but will be at the NA race until the end of the summer. Do try to join me if you can!

Back