GTP_WRS-Online : Special I - WRS Goes to Hell - 2.4 Hours of the Nürburgring

• Thread starter GTP_Dutchy
  • 478 comments
I think it would be fun to do a monthly multi-cass endurance race. Could use different manufacturers (Audi, BMW, etc). Just a thought anyway... :D
Tex and I are currently wotking on just that... but without the Lmps. While still under the WRS banner these will be more informal longer versions of the great event that Dutchy and Bart ( with the of help MANY others !!) created. These will be monthly races run in the Ring Rats room most likely on Sundays when there are no special WRS events. More as it develops but go to that thread for info.

Tex and I are currently wotking on just that... but without the Lmps. While still under the WRS banner these will be more informal longer versions of the great event that Dutchy and Bart ( with the of help MANY others !!) created. These will be monthly races run in the Ring Rats room most likely on Sundays when there are no special WRS events. More as it develops but go to that thread for info.

LMPs are fun too tho :D. Like the Audis and the Peugot... we didn't have any issues in room B with the 3 groups, that I am aware of.

I was thinking, for example...

Audi- 2 LMP classes and the R8, maybe TT
BMW- M6, Z4, and M4
Peugot- LMP, RCZ, and the other one ( sorry, drawing a blank

Last edited:
LMPs are fun too tho :D. Like the Audis and the Peugot... we didn't have any issues in room B with the 3 groups, that I am aware of.

BMW- M6, Z4, and M4
all thoughts are gratefully received!!! That is the plan... to work our way through the Manufacturers... but lets take suggestions to the Ring Rats thread as this one will eventually go dormant.... unless @GTP_Dutchy wants to do it again... soon. :lol:

BMW- M6, Z4, and M4

Raod Rage.gif
<-- LMP driver :lol::lol::lol:

I was planing on 4 four lap stints followed by a two lap map 1 dash at the end. But about half way through the last one it dawned on me that it was not going to work. If I wanted to put pressure on you I had to alter my plans ( you were too fast for me to chase down using that plan so I aborted the
last one one at the end of lap two and went to full revs map one ....I had been using short shift map 1 ...and shortened it to a three lapper and that left me with one last three lapper at full map. I always was ahead of you on pit stop sequence and you always had to chase me down ( I was short shifting to make 4 laps) . On previous stints you had been patient and followed my leisurely pace until you could just drive by me on a straight, But, you caught me at Swedish Cross on lap 17 and , I would asume , fearing to get trapped again, you tried the inside there. It was a very low perchentage pass unless I let you by, but I was on the outside with absolutely no where to go, turning in on what I would call the scariest high speed corner at the Ring, and I was, as I remember, thinking, he won't do that....but you did. We made contact and I went off down the guard rail. I was a bit unhappy , :irked:, but put my head down and as I came up into Adenauer Forrest I was not displeased to see you trying to back out after an "off" . If you had waited, like you had before in previous stints, and just motored by me when I made the inevitable error, the race was yours as you were at least 4 seconds a lap faster on sheer pace. It was indeed a great dice, perhaps the longest strategic duel I have ever had the pleasure to be in. I seriously doubt if I could beat you a second time. But "Remember old age and treachery ( cunning?) will always overcome youthful exuberance and a surplus of testosterone"

EDIT: For someone with sub thirty pace your strategy was right on. It might have been my increase from 40s to lower 30s when I changed my plan that sort of surprized you. Your speed caused me to abandon my plan not vice versa.
Right, I was afraid I wouldn´t find a chance to overtake, as it was the final phase and you´d give everything to make sure I stayed where I was. If you had asked me prior to the race if I´d try to pass someone at Swedish Cross I´d have told you that it would be a more than stupid idea. But in the heat of the race, especially in the situation you describe, you make such decisions within the fraction of a second. When I noticed you went off track I wasn´t sure if I was to blame for it. So I asked myself what to do now. Should I let you pass? While being distracted by these thoughts and looking at the car positions to see if you were still in second place, so it would make sense to wait for you, I left the track. "Ok, decision made" I thought to myself ;-) I was actually reliefed when I saw you change your initial strategy, because at the time I thought it could be successfull.
I was planing on 4 four lap stints followed by a two lap map 1 dash at the end. But about half way through the last one it dawned on me that it was not going to work. If I wanted to put pressure on you I had to alter my plans ( you were too fast for me to chase down using that plan so I aborted the
last one one at the end of lap two and went to full revs map one ....I had been using short shift map 1 ...and shortened it to a three lapper and that left me with one last three lapper at full map. I always was ahead of you on pit stop sequence and you always had to chase me down ( I was short shifting to make 4 laps) . On previous stints you had been patient and followed my leisurely pace until you could just drive by me on a straight, But, you caught me at Swedish Cross on lap 17 and , I would asume , fearing to get trapped again, you tried the inside there. It was a very low perchentage pass unless I let you by, but I was on the outside with absolutely no where to go, turning in on what I would call the scariest high speed corner at the Ring, and I was, as I remember, thinking, he won't do that....but you did. We made contact and I went off down the guard rail. I was a bit unhappy , :irked:, but put my head down and as I came up into Adenauer Forrest I was not displeased to see you trying to back out after an "off" . If you had waited, like you had before in previous stints, and just motored by me when I made the inevitable error, the race was yours as you were at least 4 seconds a lap faster on sheer pace. It was indeed a great dice, perhaps the longest strategic duel I have ever had the pleasure to be in. I seriously doubt if I could beat you a second time. But "Remember old age and treachery ( cunning?) will always overcome youthful exuberance and a surplus of testosterone"

EDIT: For someone with sub thirty pace your strategy was right on. It might have been my increase from 40s to lower 30s when I changed my plan that sort of surprized you. Your speed caused me to abandon my plan not vice versa.
Right, I was afraid I wouldn´t find a chance to overtake, as it was the final phase and you´d give everything to make sure I stayed where I was. If you had asked me prior to the race if I´d try to pass someone at Swedish Cross I´d have told you that it would be a more than stupid idea. But in the heat of the race, especially in the situation you describe, you make such decisions within the fraction of a second. When I noticed you went off track I wasn´t sure if I was to blame. So I asked myself what to do now. Should I let you pass? While being distracted by these thoughts and looking at the car positions to see if you were still in second place, so it would make sense to wait for you, I went off the track. "Ok, decision made" I thought to myself ;-) I was actually reliefed when I saw you change your initial strategy, because at the time I thought it might turn out to be successful.

Right, I was afraid I wouldn´t find a chance to overtake, as it was the final phase and you´d give everything to make sure I stayed where I was. If you had asked me prior to the race if I´d try to pass someone at Swedish Cross I´d have told you that it would be a more than stupid idea. But in the heat of the race, especially in the situation you describe, you make such decisions within the fraction of a second. When I noticed you went off track I wasn´t sure if I was to blame for it. So I asked myself what to do now. Should I let you pass? While being distracted by these thoughts and looking at the car positions to see if you were still in second place, so it would make sense to wait for you, I left the track. "Ok, decision made" I thought to myself ;-) I was actually reliefed when I saw you change your initial strategy, because at the time I thought it could be successfull.

Right, I was afraid I wouldn´t find a chance to overtake, as it was the final phase and you´d give everything to make sure I stayed where I was. If you had asked me prior to the race if I´d try to pass someone at Swedish Cross I´d have told you that it would be a more than stupid idea. But in the heat of the race, especially in the situation you describe, you make such decisions within the fraction of a second. When I noticed you went off track I wasn´t sure if I was to blame. So I asked myself what to do now. Should I let you pass? While being distracted by these thoughts and looking at the car positions to see if you were still in second place, so it would make sense to wait for you, I went off the track. "Ok, decision made" I thought to myself ;-) I was actually reliefed when I saw you change your initial strategy, because at the time I thought it might turn out to be successful.
Our thoughts were identical. I was really PO'd with the contact ( as anyone in the WRS will tell you I HATE GETTING HIT regardless of the cause) and steam was issuing out of every orifice in my body but getting mad never serves a usefull purpose so I got back to business and tried to figure out how I was ever going to catch up with a guy who just turned a very annoying ‘28. I Was REALLY FLYING up over the curb into Adenauer and in the midst of trying to either regain or maintain control ( pick one :lol:) when I “thought “ I saw a car by the side of the road. It turned out to be you! That was tit for tat as far as I was concerned... and as soon as I was over 10 sec ahead I sort of thought I had my first endurance win in hand..,, AND then saw that my BUD and nemisis @TEX36 was in second place :scared:. Its all about seat time. This time seat time beat speed. Come and play with us in the Rat Room every Sunday and build up your seat time and have some fun.

This what the straight at the Ring is like... ( sorry, had to show it )

That was ,no doubt , a product of the Georgia Mechanical Engineering Department, for which they WERE NOT nominated for the Nobel Prize for anything :lol:

Last edited:
In case you are not following the Ring Rats thread we have a practice race today (about 1:40 long). It's Gr.3 and Gr.4 BMWs at the Nordschleife.
The room is open now and the race will start in about 1hr.

Hey Guys :),

Sorry for the delay but it takes awhile to upload 4 hours of footage :P! Literally started the upload on Thursday and it's finished last night but I was at work today! First of all thanks for the event it was great fun commentating on it :D. I say 4 hours of footage as there's the full version of the race and then the highlights of it as well. Now frustratingly and I don't know why audacity seems to have had a lag spike or a stutter during it so at around the 1 hour 30 minute mark the commentary goes out of sync by about 2 seconds :(. Something I didn't catch in my first edit (I didn't watch the full 3 hours in the first edit due to time) so frustratingly that is in there :(. However it doesn't hamper the commentary to much and you can still gather what's going on.

With the highlights video I tried to include all overtaking where possible and of course as this is the live footage at the time it's of the action I saw!

Hopefully you'll enjoy all the same :). This event ruined my throat and after drinking nearly 3 pints of water by the end of the race I was dying for the toilet haha!

This is amazing work! Thank you for putting it together. I'm saving the video as a reminder of one of the best races I have ever taken part in.

By the way the message on the back of my car says "I love cheese" :)

This is amazing work! Thank you for putting it together. I'm saving the video as a reminder of one of the best races I have ever taken part in.

By the way the message on the back of my car says "I love cheese" :)

haha :D! I saw that during the rendering and watching of the videos but watching it I couldn't see it my colour was just off which was really annoying and funny at the same time lol. Sorry for your alternative name during the commentary to, no idea where that came from either haha!

Brilliant videos @Tidgney and no wonder you were a bit hoarse after all that:cheers:

Was nuts haha, I was so desperate for the loo at one point after drinking so much to keep going haha! Imagine if it was a smaller track, I think I'd have had no voice left :D

@Tidgney, great video commentary and production! Thanks for sharing. You sound as though you had a lot of fun watching the race unfold and really did well to sustain.

I’ve now watched both the highlights and the full race and will be sure to check out your YouTube channel to see more!

D.
:cheers:

I posted in there straight after that post; saw a mention to the thread near Tidgney's vid post.

Would be interesting to see another one for WRS though, the last one was fun. 1 every quarter or something like that... not necessarily a TT in tandem but another 2.4hr would be sweet.

I posted in there straight after that post; saw a mention to the thread near Tidgney's vid post.

Would be interesting to see another one for WRS though, the last one was fun. 1 every quarter or something like that... not necessarily a TT in tandem but another 2.4hr would be sweet.

Ned runs a 3 hour every month go to the ring rats thread

Back