GTPlanet Pet Peeves

When I can't find a thread on a topic, so I make a thread of that topic only for someone to tell me the topic thread already exists. :lol:

The status bar.

I wouldn't be particularly aggrieved if it disappeared.
It has its usefulness IMO, though then you see those posts.

Status posts only there to stroke egos, say memes, make quotes, increase a chain.

It has its usefulness IMO, though then you see those posts.

Status posts only there to stroke egos, say memes, make quotes, increase a chain.
In other words, posts that are personal to you or things not worth post on a thread.

In other words, posts that are personal to you or things not worth post on a thread.
Well there already is a thread for quotes and memes (the funny pic thread and funny vid thread, not to mention the Doge meme has its own thread)

Also, Pet Peeves are personal, people get peeved at different things, so I don't get why you are mentioning it?

If I can sit through WWE despite its commentary team being worse. I can sit through the races :lol:. I understand that you guys are trying and I support you guys for trying but I feel like it just isn't there yet.

Also I don't have an issue with the voices, I can listen to the voices easily. I should've got into detail why it was a pet peeve of me, from the 2 races I watched it seems that when action was happening on screen the commentators weren't calling it until 2 minutes later, which is what bugs me a little.

EDIT: IMO, the "Don't Like, Don't ____" is one of my most silliest arguments. I need to actually listen to it in order to like it and even then why can't I voice my judgement? To me, it comes across as you not wanting anyone to go against the Commentary Team.

What you've stated your issue is, is not with the commentary team, but with the production behind it.

Logistically, it is incredibly difficult for the production team to sync both the audio and video in perfect harmony. There is one person - Series Director, AJ - who runs the live stream, lobby, capture software whilst stewarding alongside those strenuous tasks, so I can understand when things don't sound perfect. The commentators are not in the lobby of the game, so we do not have access to any of the data such as timing screens - all we see is exactly what you do about thirty seconds before, just via a private stream.

You are more than welcome to voice your judgement, I never stated otherwise. However, having worked in media (voluntarily for the most part) for the past five years, I know what it takes for people to give up their time purely for the satisfaction of putting on a good show for the audience and with people volunteering from all different walks of life, it can seem somewhat disrespectful to the team when you're slating the entire team.

I think that everybody behind-the-scenes for the GTPlanet Sportscar Series does a fantastic job. Perhaps if we were paid for the privilege of broadcasting and producing the events for the viewers then the final output may leave a little to be desired, however until/if that day ever comes, then I will be thankful for having anything like this at all, as it's not something that every forum has the ability to offer.

Expanding on the car suggestion forums, I can't stand suggestions made for a car that is clearly either owned by the OP or belongs to their parents (if they're too young) and has no real significance at all. Even worse is that people actually like it, usually followed by the standard 'Voted 👍' to boost their post count.

I'm all for variety, but do we really need a 1999 Fiat Marea Weekend SLX 1.9 diesel? I think not.

Expanding on the car suggestion forums, I can't stand suggestions made for a car that is clearly either owned by the OP or belongs to their parents (if they're too young) and has no real significance at all. Even worse is that people actually like it, usually followed by the standard 'Voted 👍' to boost their post count.

I'm all for variety, but do we really need a 1999 Fiat Marea Weekend SLX 1.9 diesel? I think not.

There's also people who make car suggestions straight out of headlines. 💡

Tom
What you've stated your issue is, is not with the commentary team, but with the production behind it.

Logistically, it is incredibly difficult for the production team to sync both the audio and video in perfect harmony. There is one person - Series Director, AJ - who runs the live stream, lobby, capture software whilst stewarding alongside those strenuous tasks, so I can understand when things don't sound perfect. The commentators are not in the lobby of the game, so we do not have access to any of the data such as timing screens - all we see is exactly what you do about thirty seconds before, just via a private stream.

You are more than welcome to voice your judgement, I never stated otherwise. However, having worked in media (voluntarily for the most part) for the past five years, I know what it takes for people to give up their time purely for the satisfaction of putting on a good show for the audience and with people volunteering from all different walks of life, it can seem somewhat disrespectful to the team when you're slating the entire team.

I think that everybody behind-the-scenes for the GTPlanet Sportscar Series does a fantastic job. Perhaps if we were paid for the privilege of broadcasting and producing the events for the viewers then the final output may leave a little to be desired, however until/if that day ever comes, then I will be thankful for having anything like this at all, as it's not something that every forum has the ability to offer.

While I understand some of what you say and thanks for making it clear on its a production thing and not the entire thing.

I disagree with it being disrespectful, everything can get seen and reviewed as well as criticized entirely. Everything is worked on hard for everyone who is ever worked on a project. By what you are saying it is disrespectful to criticize anything that was worked on. I disagree on that, as criticism is normal thing and not everyone likes what they see or hear and they voice their opinion for reasons. Why did I voice mine on the production on the team? Because, I feel like if someone was actually critical about it then maybe it'll get better, you can't better without looking at the flaws.

While I understand some of what you say and thanks for making it clear on its a production thing and not the entire thing.

I disagree with it being disrespectful, everything can get seen and reviewed as well as criticized entirely. Everything is worked on hard for everyone who is ever worked on a project. By what you are saying it is disrespectful to criticize anything that was worked on. I disagree on that, as criticism is normal thing and not everyone likes what they see or hear and they voice their opinion for reasons. Why did I voice mine on the production on the team? Because, I feel like if someone was actually critical about it then maybe it'll get better, you can't better without looking at the flaws.

I have no problem with criticism, in fact I encourage it, but only when constructive. Your criticism - if we'll call it that - was not. Stating that you dislike the commentary/production of a broadcast is fine, and you're more than entitled to your opinion as previously stated. However, not reinforcing that with any reason as to why you dislike it until prompted, or any evidence as to why you believe it is sub-par is poor, hence why it can be misconstrued as more of a personal vendetta against the team themselves.

Please do bear in mind for future that a lot of people involved with the GTPlanet Sportscar Series - especially the commentary team - are new to their roles and are often just starting out in indulging in their passion, and when reading your post it has the ability to come across as more personal than intended and thus cause offence. As aforementioned, when you're voicing your opinion, back it up with reasons as to why or clear-cut evidence. In other words: think before you post.

Tom
I have no problem with criticism, in fact I encourage it, but only when constructive. Your criticism - if we'll call it that - was not. Stating that you dislike the commentary/production of a broadcast is fine, and you're more than entitled to your opinion as previously stated. However, not reinforcing that with any reason as to why you dislike it until prompted, or any evidence as to why you believe it is sub-par is poor, hence why it can be misconstrued as more of a personal vendetta against the team themselves.

Please do bear in mind for future that a lot of people involved with the GTPlanet Sportscar Series - especially the commentary team - are new to their roles and are often just starting out in indulging in their passion, and when reading your post it has the ability to come across as more personal than intended and thus cause offence. As aforementioned, when you're voicing your opinion, back it up with reasons as to why or clear-cut evidence. In other words: think before you post.
I know, I just stated it as a pet peeve, I'm fine to explain why it is pet peeve to me when asked but as you can see in this thread most of the pet peeves listed by most people don't have any explaination. What makes the Commentary so different that I have to explain that Pet Peeve and not the other Pet Peeves I have straight away?

I know, I just stated it as a pet peeve, I'm fine to explain why it is pet peeve to me when asked but as you can see in this thread most of the pet peeves listed by most people don't have any explaination. What makes the Commentary so different that I have to explain that Pet Peeve and not the other Pet Peeves I have straight away?
I think a part of it is that a lot of these pet peeves are generalizations of users and features on the website as a whole. You've singled out a specific broadcast crew and drivers for a specific series. If it was all broadcast teams that cover series on GTPlanet (which are few and far) then it'd be more acceptable. While the production aspect of the GTPlaner Sportscar Series isn't perfect, and I've told you this before, it consists of volunteers who take time out of their day to provide everyone who follows the series with content and commentary on the races at no charge. They aren't paid like the WWE announcers you've compared them to.

It's okay to say the team isn't perfect but to list a bunch of dedicated volunteers as a pet peeve comes across as a bit of a kick in the groin for everyone who puts the streams together. And I'm just a driver... I have a lot of respect and gratitude for @Tom and everyone else to up the immersion factor for everyone on the track. It's not every day your name is mentioned next to some of the greatest on all of Gran Turismo.

It involves people. People who give up their time and energy for doing something that they enjoy, and the way that it was put across could be deemed as disrespectful towards them. I have explained this before and won't be doing so again. I'm an active part of the commentary team, however I have thick enough skin to not take offence to what you have written, whereas others may, and that shouldn't be the case.

A number of people within this thread have singled out different points that you have made, it's not just me. Whilst I have issues with some of these, I do not feel the need to debate them with you.

Think before you post, and imagine what effect it could have on those persons. That's the point that I am trying to get across.

I think a part of it is that a lot of these pet peeves are generalizations of users and features on the website as a whole. You've singled out a specific broadcast crew and drivers for a specific series. If it was all broadcast teams that cover series on GTPlanet (which are few and far) then it'd be more acceptable. While the production aspect of the GTPlaner Sportscar Series isn't perfect, and I've told you this before, it consists of volunteers who take time out of their day to provide everyone who follows the series with content and commentary on the races at no charge. They aren't paid like the WWE announcers you've compared them to.

It's okay to say the team isn't perfect but to list a bunch of dedicated volunteers as a pet peeve comes across as a bit of a kick in the groin for everyone who puts the streams together. And I'm just a driver... I have a lot of respect and gratitude for @Tom and everyone else to up the immersion factor for everyone on the track. It's not every day your name is mentioned next to some of the greatest on all of Gran Turismo.
Well first, I actually stated you guys are better than the paid WWE team :lol:.

Also what you are stating on the features and users, isn't that the whole point of this thread? Users, what Users do and Features that annoy you?

and I get you are volunteer's and it is grest you are doing this, I mean without I wouldn't be able to watch it and have chats with fellow GTPers on the race, but there a thing's I don't like (like in anything).

Probably taking this the wrong way, just because you are volunteer's it doesn't mean that you don't try to make it better than what it is, seems like a silly excuse (you guys are probably trying to get better every race, I'm sure but from they way you are posting about volunteer's it sounds like to me, it is a free pass to not try to make it as entertaining as you can)?

I also don't get how criticising someone's work equals a personal attack, if I said the people involved in it was a Pet Peeve then it would be a personal attack but I just said the commentary team.

Tom
It involves people.
Isn't everything on this site involving people though?

Also I'm not to keen on the think before you post idea, by the way your addressing it, its good but at the same time, even if criticism was constructive people will always take offense to it. There are just some people who don't like things they don't want to hear, and any sort of criticism has those problems.

Also I'm not to keen on the think before you post idea, by the way your addressing it, its good but at the same time, even if criticism was constructive people will always take offense to it. There are just some people who don't like things they don't want to hear, and any sort of criticism has those problems
No, that is not how it works. If you present it in a non-offensive manner with helpful ideas, than people will not take offense to it. At least any right-minded person wouldn't.

I think what the problem here is that you are giving criticism, in what seems to be a negative fashion(probably not intentional), while trying to guise it as Constructive criticism. It is not. If you meant for it to be that way, you'd bring to the table why you felt that way, and possibly give some insight on some areas as to how it can improve. Just stating that you don't like it is not helpful, nor is it going to be taken into consideration.

Isn't everything on this site involving people though?

Not every single post made is aimed towards somebody in a disrespectful manner.

Also I'm not to keen on the think before you post idea

Don't expect to around here for too much longer, then.

By the way your addressing it, its good but at the same time, even if criticism was constructive people will always take offense to it. There are just some people who don't like things they don't want to hear, and any sort of criticism has those problems.

I quite agree that not every person is open to criticism, however when in a line of work that involves the public in one form-or-another, it is likely that they will face it at some point and surely it's better to be it constructive and offer feedback than to slate an entire team as you have done?

The people who are part of the team behind the GTP Sportscar Series are open to criticism; it's part of what they have to expect within that role, but when criticised, feedback is always offered as a way to improve and learn and that's something that should be expected in all cases, not forced out of somebody after being prompted, otherwise you're setting yourself up for backlash.

I feel that this line of discussion has gone far enough now, and I have made my points clear.

I also don't get how criticising someone's work equals a personal attack, if I said the people involved in it was a Pet Peeve then it would be a personal attack but I just said the commentary team.
You're offending people because you've expressed your opinions as "pet peeves", implying that you are annoyed by their inability to live up to your own personal standards. That sounds more like entitlement than criticism, and it's certainly not constructive.

Personally, I feel that I have very high standards for both myself and GTPlanet. I have also written thousands of blog posts and have commentated on and been involved with many virtual race broadcasts. I think that makes me a fairly good judge of quality of both, and I continue to be gobsmacked and deeply impressed by the quality of work our Contributing Writers and eSports broadcasters put out. I have spent the last 15 years building GTPlanet's brand, and I'm proud and humbled for it to be associated with their work.

No, that is not how it works. If you present it in a non-offensive manner with helpful ideas, than people will not take offense to it. At least any right-minded person wouldn't.

I think what the problem here is that you are giving criticism, in what seems to be a negative fashion(probably not intentional), while trying to guise it as Constructive criticism. It is not. If you meant for it to be that way, you'd bring to the table why you felt that way, and possibly give some insight on some areas as to how it can improve. Just stating that you don't like it is not helpful, nor is it going to be taken into consideration.
Maybe its because I couldn't truly understand the other posts because I am a 🤬 reader but this sort of makes a little more sense to me and it wasn't intentional to be mean, none of my criticisms are meant to be mean.

In hindsight of what I said before, let me try and make it "constructive", what makes the commentary a Pet Peeve for me. Is that when action is happening, the commentators don't call what is going on until several minutes later when it is already done as there is a discussion on something not that relevant to the racing. I know you can't be there to call the action right when it happens but perhaps try to shorten the time from when the action is happening. Don't be afraid to interrupted the discussion and call the racing :).

GT Planet Sports Cars Series commentary = Excellent, You know televised racing series, F1, 24 Hour events ... usually miss most of the action and they have the benefit of multiple cameras and the option of instant replay, so for what tools the comm's team have available to them they do a better job than what a professional comm's team could do.

So my GTP pet peeve: Posts without thought.

I should add more : People with short fuses that tend to ask for a ban when they blow a fuse or two.

They do make for a fun reading, but still bad for GTP.

I should also add, people who often grazes very closely to breaking AUP by cunningly or stupidly wording their posts. The flame baiters, dyslexia excuse, repeat offender in grammar mistakes which usually ends in "nazi", the usual drama posters, etc :lol:

The more I have to think, the more I discovered a pet peeve.

Knowing when I made an 🤬 of myself. :lol:

Last edited:
Back