GTP's Official FIFA 2006 World Cup Thread (Now with Results!)

• Thread starter OZZYGT
  • 1,700 comments
I wonder what it feels like to have 2000 pounds of force behind that widow's peak smash into your chest.

Italians are the elegant skillful ponies, whilst the french are the no nonsense powerful bulls.

Zidanes headbutt reminded me of this pic.

215192lambofinsmall1008dl.th.jpg

Shame on Zidane indeed for ending it like that. However I do think that France deserved to win more than Italy, Italy played with 10 men behind the ball, they were well and truely out played in the mid field. But penalties can go either way and they did.

Good game. Came down to the very end. 👍 Viva Italy! Edit: Actually, more like Viva Italia!

Hahahaha, cool. They cut off Camoranesi's topknot.

Trezeguet had a little roid rage, too. Did you guys see how he tore his jersey up? What a freak.

Italy won in my book, anyway. France got lucky with the PK. However, France totally outplayed Italy for much of the 2nd half and overtime, sans the Italian fullbacks. Those guys are absolutely insane. Cannavaro for the golden ball.

Not only that, speculation was that Zidane was the forerunner for the golden ball award, after that headbutt, I think he won't even be getting that award.

In terms of play, wrong result. But Zidane...

I don't care what Materazzi said to him. That behaviour just isn't football - and if he wasn't retiring anyway he'd be banned for life. Interesting that the 4th official was what effectively sent him off though - neither the ref nor that side lino saw it...

Sting
Not only that, speculation was that Zidane was the forerunner for the golden ball award, after that headbutt, I think he won't even be getting that award.

Yeah... In my opinion, Fabio and Gigi pulled well ahead of him after that display.

I don't follow football, so I don't know how old the guy is, but he can't retire now. You can't quit the game on a note like that, with your huge misjudgement highlighting the loss of your country in the World Cup. If you play(ed) sports, you know how bitter you feel after a crappy outing. That feeling lasts until you redeem yourself, next time. At least, that's how it is with me.

Edit: I just read Famine's post. If he indeed is banned, then he is screwed!

Famine
In terms of play, wrong result. But Zidane...

I don't care what Materazzi said to him. That behaviour just isn't football - and if he wasn't retiring anyway he'd be banned for life. Interesting that the 4th official was what effectively sent him off though - neither the ref nor that side lino saw it...

I doubt anyone would get banned for more than 3 months, let alone life.

Interesting how Zidane got sent off after they saw his headbutt on the video replay. If only they were using video replays during the Italy/Australia game, they could have overruled that late wrongly awarded penalty that saw Italy through. :grumpy:

Really?

Research a Belgian football club called "KV Mechelen".

Edit: No, not Mechelen... Royal Antwerp, I think.

Man i really want to see/hear a post match interview with Zidane to find out just what the hell happened for him to just headbutt the guy out of nowhere.

EDIT: can't remember if i mentioned, i know i told the people at my workplace, italy were my pick to win and all through that 2nd half I thought France would get the winning goal.

Congratulazioni Italia!

Sad to see Zidane do that... I was supporting France up until that point.

I wanted France to win tonight, and I think they probably deserved to. But after what Zidane did...perhaps not. To decide a World Cup final on penalties is extremely harsh, though.

I thought Zizu was only retiring from international football. Is he not going to be playing for Real Madrid next season?

speedy_samurai
I'm watching with Japanese announcers. Still much better than ESPN (and it's good for my japanese listening skills, too!)
Is it John Kabira (Winning Eleven announcer)? He rocks!

I was liking Zidane so much in this World Cup, can't believe he screwed up like that.

And congrats to Italy!

Back