Have a lot of you moved on now to a better sim?

  • Thread starter Thread starter poe64
  • 153 comments
  • 13,196 views
Actually... I came from PC sims, and while I haven't left them (e.g. I'm a pCARS member, still got iRacing installed on my PC although no active sub) I find myself spending far more time in GT5 and Forza 4 than on the PC.

It all depends what you want. For optimal online racing the PC is better (iRacing, simraceway, rFactor, etc...). For offline play and generally enjoying the cars, there's no better place than the consoles. I happen to be enjoying the latter more right now.

Same here...
My last GT was GT4 but I never got into it. I switched to PC sims at that time because GT never had a proper cockpit view and after trying PC sims I was totally immersed.
I have an iRacing subscription (still active). I own The rFactor 2 Beta and still have rFactor, GTR 2, Race 07/GTR Evolution/Race On and GT legends all installed on my PC. I am also a pCars team member.

But, I like the fact that I don't have to mess with settings on my console such as installing mods/tracks graphics etc.

I was also impressed with GT 5's graphics so after much much delay I went out an bought a PS3 and GT5.
It was a great purchase. The console racers are now much much closer to sims physics wise. GT5 does a great job of replicating real world cars and physics.
Yeah I miss certain mods, I certainly miss the track selection, and for online competition iRacing is second to none but GT5 does so much right with the most important factor to me... the cars!
If I miss things too much I simply boot up a PC sim again for a bit.

It's pretty easy to spend half of your "Sim Racing Time" setting graphic settings & wheel and pedal settings etc in a PC sim rather than racing.

There is a lot to be said for the pick up and playability of GT 5.
I'm even considering Forza 4 now they have Porsche. (Lack of compatible wheel is holding me back).

Some people will undoubtedly think they are missing out by not having a PC and certain so called "realistic sims".
But, as an avid sim racer, car fan, motorsport fan, owner of the top sims and many more not mentioned I would say they should stop worrying and just enjoy GT5.

All aids off (including ABS) it's a lot closer the the PC sims than you might think. It's also great fun.

I love iRacing but it's like having a second job.
Spending hour upon hour practising to shave a few tenths off my lap time. Racing online is outstandingly good most of the time and a win in iRacing feels epic but then so does lapping the ring in a GT-R.
 
Thank God for competition.

GT has always been a great nostalgiac name in video games. But I am glad other racing games are emerging and beating GT in MANY areas.

Long live other choices! I do hope GT6 makes new strides. Take some risks.
 
I played a bit of the projects CARS at my friends house in its beta form, looking stunning. Love the fact they have some older formula cars in there.

Myself, I play a bit of forza as well, it's got some really nice cars GT5 doesn't have:

7227328222_b5aa08b678.jpg
 
On PC it looks extremely stunning already. The graphics are wow, you have advanced motion blur and proper sound. On physics I can't comment since I haven't played it. Watch this Video. Well on PS3 you can't expect this graphics but it gives you an idea on how it going to be :)


I read that the graphics will be close to the PC.Might just be a marketing strategy but shift 2 didnt look too bad so im sure it will look better than shift 2...I was happy when I read that they had a better physics engine then that was in shift2.

OT
Nope.
 
I kinda left for a short while when I first got a wheel, but I made a few good friends on GT5 that pulled me back in. While the physics might not be on par with some PC sims, if you find a good group of people to race with I think GT5 can be more entertaining than a lot of them.

I saw a post where someone said PC sims are dying. I don't think so there have been a few really good sims released recently, and next year is looking quite promising for PC racing on a sim and semi-sim level.
 
I've thought about it, and i'm very interested, But the cost of a gaming computer along with ensuring its up to date memory and video card wise, plus paying a subscription (for some games) is really holding me back.

Plus having to know how to run the games programming wise is overwhelming. I've watched alot of inside sim racing's videos about real feal (force feedback) settings and other settings changed in the actual code, and I just dont know if I can handle it.

For me consoles are just easier and cheaper.
 
Shift 2 looks really good I agree! And I actually I have to admit. It would be the better game if the physics and steering wasnt messed up. Well I own it and it's such a blast to play it. The sounds the advanced motion blur and the customnization. The razor sharp tarmac and grass textures etc. But I always come back to GT because the physics are more reasonable and real. GT5 had to do alot of trade off in terms of it's 60fps. The textures are low res and are just flat, blury and just duplicates, there is no kind of motion blur. And even with those trade off's, drive with a bunch of premium cars in front of you, and the framerate drops.
But now Slidly Mad studios working hand on hand with the users together and the game will be most likely a product of racing sim enthusiasts. On PC you will get your 60fps and high end graphics with huge Anti Alaysing. On PS3 you will get the 720p and the 30fps with lower resulotion and AA. But we can't complain for the PS3's hardware it's totally fine. We can't compare high end PC's to that. :)
 
While some PC racing sims may be prettier with more realistic physics, I believe that GT5 provides better accessibility for the average person. An avid racing fan will not necessarily be good with computers or keyboards. Consoles are much more user-friendly, if not in fact then at least in perception. With GT5, you can buy a PS3 and a game, start it up, and be racing in a very short time. Also the online experience is very easy to get into. My $0.02

EDIT: Sorry, didn't answer the OP's question... I have not and probably will not move on to another sim, I get a lot of pleasure from Gran Turismo and I have other things demanding of my time so I can't afford to get *too into* gaming... it's borderline as it is! :P

1997-1999 were amazing years. Metal Gear, FF7, FF8, Star Ocean 2, Lunar, Xenogears, GT1 and 2...etc... Sorry for getting a bit nostalgic.

+1... my first play through MGS was an epic gaming experience. And don't forget these:

SyphonFilter_coverart.jpg
MDK_coverart.jpg
ONE_coverart.jpg
 
I played a bit of the projects CARS at my friends house in its beta form, looking stunning. Love the fact they have some older formula cars in there.

Myself, I play a bit of forza as well, it's got some really nice cars GT5 doesn't have:

7227328222_b5aa08b678.jpg

That's Forza? Wow...
 
GT5 1 player died on the day of release IMO. GT 5 is all about creating your own fun. Online leagues and competitions is where it is at, endless fun.

In my group we keep a record of all races etc.

(Scroll Tabs)
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AjjRSkX9h8cBdEs4RXNqdW5KbjRzNTlsZVJjaW9Kd0E#gid=20

Exactly! I don't do online racing myself. I just love how the car feels with a good FFB steering wheel (in my case a T500RS). Sims like rFactor 2 has better FBB but doesn't have road cars which is what I'm passionate about. Watching the replay of driving a Ferrari F40 is worth more to me than winning an iRacing race.
 
Ls2BluGoat
I thought it was a real photo for a second. One of the best shots from Forza I've seen in a while.

There's a lot more like that. ;)
 
I did! Moved to iRacing/rFactor and patiently awaiting the magnificent new titles to be fully released!

Dunlop_C6R2.png

Dunlop_FGT2.png
 
Well i am one of those who never left GT series but i also play rFactor and rFactor 2 now (mods are incredible and you can have any car that you want with proper physics and sound), GTR2 (official FIA GT game + amazing sounds...and i have the Honda HSV 010 :sly: ), Race 07/GTR Evolution is (or both are) one of the most fun and complete racing games (the best engine sounds in the market, and i think PD took a look at this game to implement rain and weather effects because it looks way too similar) and i bought all DLC´s and are amazing.

But i always mix GT5 with those games because GT5 is realistic but some things are wrong in the physics and the engine sounds makes no justice to the graphic and realism apart.

I am full member of pCARS and the game is good (the GT5 ,talking about graphics on PC right now) but they can´t make the physics right yet and the FFB by now feels unnatural and too much "placebo" for every car. They said that they are making all the content and features first to implement a "new model" more close to the release or in the upcoming months with proper realistic physics...let´s see about that. But also the model on PC is going to be different on consoles because of hardware. (semi-arcade consoles and "full simulator" for PC) Or something like that.

Again i can play with all these games and GT5 has its place between them. I play rFactor (and 2) as much as i play GT5. And looking forward to GT6 of course.
 
There's a lot more like that. ;)

Yeah at my gallery :dopey:

7203052928_0127b7d41e_z.jpg


7181982846_c361379b35_z.jpg


7191130524_bc12c69c1a_z.jpg


Jk, but yeah I have lots of great shots and so does forzaplanet if you check it out.

Man my shots make me realise how many unique cars forza has. Something project cars or gt5 can't replicate.
 
FM4 hands down for console.
 
King1982
FM4 hands down for console.

Have you realized what you started by posting that here? :guilty:
 
* looks at usernam..... reads reply again.....looks at username again...:confused:







:sly:

LOOL doesn't mean im going to stop playing GT5 but I will give other a try LOOL
 
Haven't left yet, nor do I think I ever will. Long time ago I got rid of my PS2 and GT 3/4 for an Xbox and Midtown Madness 3 (main reason I did as I really wanted this game) and Forza (ah...ye good ol' days...). Still have Midtown Madness as GameStop said "it's too scratched up" when I went to trade in my original Xbox some years ago after I finally got a 360.

Back to GT: I bought a PS3 for the sole purpose of GT5 as the NASCAR, WRC, and mass amount of cars in the pits just amazed me. Sadly, it hasn't lived up to what I've seen pre-release, though it has gotten MUCH better.

I want to move onto PC games, but I can't as my current PC is a POS. I can only play older games (Flatout and NFS High Stakes are probably my favorites) at a decent frame rate. Trying to play newer games (like COD4, Rigs Of Rods, etc) results in freezing or extreme lagging if I want *some* eye candy. I basically have to run with p*ss poor settings in order to play them (still love playing CODWAW though...can't get enough of killing zombies :D). But in the end, I always end up :censored:ing up windows and have to deal with boot errors, kernel errors, etc., and must format and reinstall windows XP (yup, don't even have Vista yet).
 
Yeah at my gallery :dopey:




Man my shots make me realise how many unique cars forza has. Something project cars or gt5 can't replicate.


The best car list. Ever.


Used to be GT4 (one could argue).

Right now, I'd say GT has great time change, decent weather effects and a healthy photomode. And that's about it.

Otherwise, only its popular name propel its way into our heart and homes. I think after GT5, we'll all take a second look at GT6 and not rush to conclusions.
 
The best example of quality over quantity. PD needs to take note and react accordingly. Forza 4 has almost everything you'd want in this type of game. Its major flaw is the physics wich are way too forgiving and too arcady, if Forza manages physics anywhere near GT5 with solid FFB it will be ages ahead of GT5. Right now their flaws put them pretty much in a level playing field.
 
Jav
The best example of quality over quantity. PD needs to take note and react accordingly. Forza 4 has almost everything you'd want in this type of game. Its major flaw is the physics wich are way too forgiving and too arcady, if Forza manages physics anywhere near GT5 with solid FFB it will be ages ahead of GT5. Right now their flaws put them pretty much in a level playing field.
im of the other side of the fence...arcady...i dont feel that, of course that is highly subjetive.
 
Jav
The best example of quality over quantity. PD needs to take note and react accordingly. Forza 4 has almost everything you'd want in this type of game. Its major flaw is the physics wich are way too forgiving and too arcady, if Forza manages physics anywhere near GT5 with solid FFB it will be ages ahead of GT5. Right now their flaws put them pretty much in a level playing field.

Arcadey? Saying GT5 has better physics is one thing but this is a very broad statement. Please explain why you think Forza is arcadey.

I drove the Ferrari 458 Italia race car in one of the DLC packs on Sim steering. Trickiest car I've ever driven. It was so easy to spin out that I got frustrated with the car and stopped. While I've never drive a high-powered MR race car in real life I'd imagine one would handle the way I described if you're not delicate enough. And correct me if I'm wrong but isn't "arcadey" generally defined as easy to drive and accessible because that Ferrari I drove was neither of those things.
 
Arcadey? Saying GT5 has better physics is one thing but this is a very broad statement. Please explain why you think Forza is arcadey.

I drove the Ferrari 458 Italia race car in one of the DLC packs on Sim steering. Trickiest car I've ever driven. It was so easy to spin out that I got frustrated with the car and stopped. While I've never drive a high-powered MR race car in real life I'd imagine one would handle the way I described if you're not delicate enough. And correct me if I'm wrong but isn't "arcadey" generally defined as easy to drive and accessible because that Ferrari I drove was neither of those things.

Try the real sims out there and then you'll see what I mean.
 
I still play GT5 from time to time, but only for a few minutes. I've hoped for a track pack for too long now and Motegi might keep me entertained for a while but surely not hooked. Route X was very disappointing. I've been a senior member (€100) of pCars since last October and love the way they do things. Ian Bell is a very humble man who'll reply to your messages just like any other member. SMS are very transparent, do polls, listen to our advices and complaints and we know exactly what they're working on in real time. The opposite of PD's opacity which, in my opinion, does more harm to GT5 than the game itself.
 
MuoNiuLa
Arcadey? Saying GT5 has better physics is one thing but this is a very broad statement. Please explain why you think Forza is arcadey.

I drove the Ferrari 458 Italia race car in one of the DLC packs on Sim steering. Trickiest car I've ever driven. It was so easy to spin out that I got frustrated with the car and stopped. While I've never drive a high-powered MR race car in real life I'd imagine one would handle the way I described if you're not delicate enough. And correct me if I'm wrong but isn't "arcadey" generally defined as easy to drive and accessible because that Ferrari I drove was neither of those things.

No, arcadey would be the opposite of realistic. Just because something is hard does not make it realistic.
 
Jav
The best example of quality over quantity. PD needs to take note and react accordingly. Forza 4 has almost everything you'd want in this type of game. Its major flaw is the physics wich are way too forgiving and too arcady, if Forza manages physics anywhere near GT5 with solid FFB it will be ages ahead of GT5. Right now their flaws put them pretty much in a level playing field.

+1 exactly my thoughts. The game would be amazing if it had proper physics.
 
When you compare FM to GT Jav, I'd say that they aren't as far apart as some would like to believe. I do agree with you though. Those two are still not on the level of a proper sim in regards to physics.
 
Just found an upcoming game that may very well make you change your pants.

Test Drive: Ferrari Legends

Yes, it's published under Atari - but unlike the previous Test Drive - is developed by Slightly Mad (aka Shift 2 guys). Good? I don't know - Shift 2 was a bit of a gamble in my opinion. As far as I've heard from the sim racing guys YouTube (whatever their channel is), they've said it's good with an arcady-sim feel.

Graphics are nice - one bonus is that starting classic races begins with a sepia filter and slowly fades into color. There's about 52 cars ranging from the 125 S (the game is celebrating the 65th anniversary of this car) to the F150 (not the truck). Many road cars, vintage F1's from the 60s-90s and into the 2000s, and many vintage rally/GT/single seater cars.

I'm a Ferrari nut, so I'm definitely going to buy this game - whether its good or not :O. Just looking at the car list makes me :drool:.


And on the topic of Forza: Its one of my favorites, but I hate the physics with a passion. Always sliding, even in a stock road car with slicks. Only reason I bought Forza 4 for my banned Xbox was because of the amazing car list. That and I'll eventually get back on live again to play Tag (loved that in Forza 3).
 
Back