Have a lot of you moved on now to a better sim?

  • Thread starter Thread starter poe64
  • 153 comments
  • 13,197 views
Tried to find more pc games to use with my DFGT, didn't find much I like.

Dirt 3 was actually the most fun game I've tried on pc. The much hyped race/gtr series feels so horribly old and I'm not interested in subscription gaming or betas.

It all ends with me coming back to GT5 time and time again.
 
The driving is to damn good In GT5, and with the ability to drive about anything from rally to FGT, to a mini van race... nope I'm good. They got a lot accomplished with GT5 and I see the GT series even getting better in the future. 👍
 
Thanks everyone.
Great to see all the different views, you all have of GT5.
Also glad the thread didn't move into a silly Gt5 v Forza thread and it calmed me down a bit because I was a bit fed up with the lack of DLC.

Maybe a track pack will come in the future but for now, I'm going to give GT5 another blast tonight and mess about with the track editor.

Will also be keeping a look out for GTR3 on the PC.

Cheers
 
GT5 is my "get back to" game. The only reason is that I don't have any other console or gaming PC to play on. As far as I know GT5 is the only car/racing game that apeal to me on PS3. I have tried the demos of the others. And I have played other games too. But I always end up with GT5 inside my PS3. Even after almost 2 years :)
 
Have a lot of you moved on now to a better sim?

Seems like a lot are moving over to PC based sims.
PCars looks and drives really good now and new tracks are coming all the time.

I can't seem to spend more than a few mins with GT5 anymore. Seems stagnant.
I like to try out any cars I read about in mags with GT5 but what a waste of a great sim.

Lack of real tracks is the main problem. :)

Of course it's going to feel stagnant. It's still GT5, which came out in 2010. There's only so much time a person can spend with it before they decide that they're done with it and move on. Some time last year I finished up GT5 (done all the events and owned over 1000 cars) and went back to FM3, and then to FM4. Nobody expects to stick with a single racing game for several years.
 
Giving up with GT5?
Not before 2014 :D
 
* looks at usernam..... reads reply again.....looks at username again...:confused:







:sly:
LOL
troll.png
troll.png
troll.png
 
I "moved" to iRacing at the end of last year. While I like it a lot more as a driving & racing sim, the social aspect of my league keeps me on GT5. I made some small attempt to lure them to iRacing but I saw that was not going to happen for many different reasons.

GT5 is good enough and some aspects are cool but iRacing, while far from perfect, is much closer to what I am looking for in a sim.
 
Jav
The best example of quality over quantity. PD needs to take note and react accordingly. Forza 4 has almost everything you'd want in this type of game. Its major flaw is the physics wich are way too forgiving and too arcady, if Forza manages physics anywhere near GT5 with solid FFB it will be ages ahead of GT5. Right now their flaws put them pretty much in a level playing field.

You have no clue what you're talking about. Arcade..dont make me laugh. Gt's physics model doesn't even simulate tyre pressure nor tyre width upgrades. Low speed and high, online and offline physics..??! Cars feel less realistic in Gt that in FM4. I've played the both of them and i'm not trying too say Gt5 is bad but guys like you should stop with this nonsense about Forza feeling arcady. Complete rubbish.
 
You have no clue what you're talking about. Arcade..dont make me laugh. Gt's physics model doesn't even simulate tyre pressure nor tyre width upgrades. Low speed and high, online and offline physics..??! Cars feel less realistic in Gt that in FM4. I've played the both of them and i'm not trying too say Gt5 is bad but guys like you should stop with this nonsense about Forza feeling arcady. Complete rubbish.


What gt5 needs is the shaky, dynamic camera like forza motorsports 4. Do you notice how when you hit a bump the screen kinda shakes, but when the person hits a bump in gt5 the camera doesn't really do anything. also, notice how loose and free-moving the camera in forza is, compared to gt5. I hope you remember how terrible the chase cam was :lol:



 
Unfortunately, there aren't any better sims for the PS3, and I can't move on to the PC either, because one, my existing computers are garbage (Windows, what can you expect? :sly:) and two, my house is too full of garbage to fit anything else in.

GT5 was better when it was still a phenomenon. I dare say that GT5 was much more appealing before the actual game ruined it.

It's just too dull and boring. The game lasted for about two months when I first got it before I had to find ways myself of having fun. And for a video game, that's a bad sign.

GT5 development started in c.2004, so that's probably why PD didn't include any features that we today (or even back in 2010) would consider to be unique in a good way. Back then, what they had planned for the game would probably have been "good".
 
Unfortunately, there aren't any better sims for the PS3, and I can't move on to the PC either, because one, my existing computers are garbage (Windows, what can you expect? :sly:) and two, my house is too full of garbage to fit anything else in.

Aye, the same here.

What keeps me playing GT5 is the photomode. Racing is out of question for me.
If i want to race offline, SHIFT2 is the game for me. Online?

Until the lag-ability gets fixed or have the place to put my soon-to-be DFGT, i won't be racing online sooner. :guilty:
 
Nope, I'm still on GT5. I also play Rfactor and used to play Iracing but it was a bit to serious for me. So GT5 and Rfactor for me.
 
When pcars is eventually released on ps3 will I have to buy a membership to WMD or can I just buy the game? Will it be subscription based, or will it just be pay for add ons and dlc? Will add ons / dlc be available across all platforms. Will there be be any community created content that will be added ( ala the old scgt game)?
 
When pcars is eventually released on ps3 will I have to buy a membership to WMD or can I just buy the game? Will it be subscription based, or will it just be pay for add ons and dlc? Will add ons / dlc be available across all platforms. Will there be be any community created content that will be added ( ala the old scgt game)?

You just buy the game. WMD now is for people to invest in the game, when it's released we will get a discount on the game based on our investment, and may get money back on the investment depending how well it sells.

To general consumers not interested in investing in the game before it's completed the game is no different to any other. You'll buy it on release and everything will be open.

DLC is planned with community input but again the final output DLC will be like any other.
 
Will it be a monthly subscription charge? I really hope not! I don't mind paying for content, but I hate paying for subscriptions I may or may not be able to utilize.
 
Will it be a monthly subscription charge? I really hope not! I don't mind paying for content, but I hate paying for subscriptions I may or may not be able to utilize.

No. Like I say, it'll be a normal game like any other. Product off the shelf, DLC added later.
 
I've got iRacing and after the Academy, I will be devoting most of my time to Forza 4. I only have 1 more trophy to go for for platinum and 12 to go for gold standard which is my gaol. After that, as far as GT5 goes, I'll probably just stick to doing the TT's. After almost 2 years, tha game has just gotten old and stale for me. Nothing against the game, it has just ran its course for me. GT5 will always be my foundation, I'm just ready for the 6th floor to be completed, lol.
 
Moved on? No, hell no actually.

Although I've been playing tons of iracing lately, and other sims, GT5 is still my favorite just because of it's massive variety, it's quality, and although it doesn't have the absolute best physics, I still enjoy it's physics more than most sims.

Personally I think netkar pro has the best physics and force feedback, that sim is just incredible, but it's also lacking.

Iracing has the best racing, but it's missing a ton of my favorite tracks, it's expensive as hell, and the safety rating is driving me insane.

GTR 2, great sim, I do like it but to me it's kind of boring knowing that I have much more realistic sims on my PC, and it's less realistic than GT5 in some cases.

Same thing with rfactor, except rfactor does have all those mods I love but the online community is terrible. Everybody either password locks the servers, or uses crap mods that really aren't fun to use (like the renault megane mod people keep using).

LFS, I love the physics but using cars that don't exist on tracks that don't exist is pointless to me. Why would you want to simulate something imaginary? It sucks too, because in my opinion, LFS has the best physics besides netkar, and by the best graphics with the least FPS loss of any PC sim even on a crappy computer like mine.

Richard Burns, absolutely incredible sim, but it's too friggin hard lol. Well it's really not "too hard", it's just something you have to get used to (just like real rally racing), and I simply haven't put enough time into it.

GTR Evo, (refer to GTR2)

pCars, I have spent over 30 hours of time playing it, and although it's an improvement over shift 2, it still isn't very realistic and has a bit of the same feel of shift 2, which is bad. I actually do like shift 2 and will probably get it when it's fully released, but I'm quite shocked to see so many people here mention. Of all the "sims" you could play on the PC, pCars is probably the worst of them all. The graphics are overated, way to flashy, saturated, and definitely not better than GT5 and it is a total menace to your computer even if you have a supercomputer. It performs terribly even at low settings. And like I said, the physics aren't that good, neither is the FFB, so I really don't see it as something to beat GT5. Really the only reason I played it so much is because I like the cars, and my friend let me borrow his computer to play it while he was on vacation.

The thing with GT5 is that it's only as realistic as you make. I think it can go from an arcade sim like shift 2 or F1 2010, to a semi-pro sim like GTR 2. It all depends on what tires you use, whether you use damage and tire wear, aids, etc. I feel with the proper tires for the car you're driving, GT5 can hang with and sometimes beat some of the PC sims

If you race with leagues, you can have some of the best racing on any system in GT5. The amount of cars to choose from, the tracks, THE BEST VIRTUAL NORDSCHLIEFE EVER!~!!!!!!, not to mention the graphics, the interface, the options, COURSE MAKER!!!!!!!!!!

I really can't understand how anyone could "move on" to anything else. I enjoy all sims, but GT5 and iracing and netkar are at the top of my list and will stay there until Assetto Corsa comes out, and even then I won't "move on", I'll just probably change my priorities.
 
Last edited:
I've only been playing gt5 for 6 months,so it's obviously still very fresh and addictive. Haven't looked into iRacing,yet. Must be good if everyone is raving about it.
 
pCars, I have spent over 30 hours of time playing it, and although it's an improvement over shift 2, it still isn't very realistic and has a bit of the same feel of shift 2, which is bad. I actually do like shift 2 and will probably get it when it's fully released, but I'm quite shocked to see so many people here mention. Of all the "sims" you could play on the PC, pCars is probably the worst of them all. The graphics are overated, way to flashy, saturated, and definitely not better than GT5 and it is a total menace to your computer even if you have a supercomputer. It performs terribly even at low settings. And like I said, the physics aren't that good, neither is the FFB, so I really don't see it as something to beat GT5. Really the only reason I played it so much is because I like the cars, and my friend let me borrow his computer to play it while he was on vacation

.

Please look up the words beta and alpha.
 
Please look up the words beta and alpha.

Don't have to. Do you really hold that much hope for it? or are you talking about its FPS performance? I know that will improve, but do you mean physics? I've played beta's before and I've never seen physics improved to where I think pCars would need to be to compete with the PC sims. I'm sure it will get better, and I will buy it, I'm just doubting it'll change enough for it to be considered with the netkars, assetto corsas, LFS's, and iracings of the world.
 
It's already moved on greatly over the past few months, I see no reason why they can't continue to improve the physics and FFB over the next year.

By the way, what are your issues with the current physics model?
 
Been a while since I've visited the GTP forums. Sadly for me, my GT5 data corrupted. I put the save file from my USB onto my PS3, and THAT was corrupted as well. So I was stuck with a brand new GT5 save game. I decided to move on and trade my PS3 and PS3 game library and buy an XBOX 360 and a copy for Forza 4. I can say that Forza is quite a big improvement over GT5. The online is intense and fun, and the customization is amazing. Overall it's basically all I wanted with a racing game. Now I'm not bashing GT5 at all. For one, GT5 definitely had a better photomode system, and the music in the main menus were soothing and relaxing, unlike Forza 4's "Harry Potter-ish" music. I can say that both racing sims have their ups and downs, but overall I feel that Forza 4 takes the cake for me.
 
I'm curious for those who have so much hope invested on GT coming here, I mean priorities of those and the sim racing fan that isn't bound to one game are far different. Waiting on your hands for GT/PD to improve is very optimistic but my question is what is so wrong with iracing and up coming names like pCars. I'm just trying to understand what I a (long time) GT fan should be looking for that gives me hope, because until then I'll keep being a realist.

Yes I have moved on to a slew of other sim and games in general.
 
I'm curious for those who have so much hope invested on GT coming here, I mean priorities of those and the sim racing fan that isn't bound to one game are far different. Waiting on your hands for GT/PD to improve is very optimistic but my question is what is so wrong with iracing and up coming names like pCars. I'm just trying to understand what I a (long time) GT fan should be looking for that gives me hope, because until then I'll keep being a realist.

Yes I have moved on to a slew of other sim and games in general.

Well if you need to find something that gives you hope in GT you probably should move on imo. For me gt5 is the best GT yet and PD has been improving game after game. Im not gonna say the fact that theyve added damage cockpit view and finally ferrari and lamborghinis to the series should give you "hope " that they will improve on and finally include porshe in the series , because we could argue these things shouldve been in the game already or what ever. Its just people have their opinions. Nobody can make you like something you hate.The old cliche on this forum, dont like it move on.
 
Well if you need to find something that gives you hope in GT you probably should move on imo. For me gt5 is the best GT yet and PD has been improving game after game. Im not gonna say the fact that theyve added damage cockpit view and finally ferrari and lamborghinis to the series should give you "hope " that they will improve on and finally include porshe in the series , because we could argue these things shouldve been in the game already or what ever. Its just people have their opinions. Nobody can make you like something you hate.The old cliche on this forum, dont like it move on.

👍 GT5 is the best GT for me also dude. The game just keeps getting better!
 
Well if you need to find something that gives you hope in GT you probably should move on imo. For me gt5 is the best GT yet and PD has been improving game after game. Im not gonna say the fact that theyve added damage cockpit view and finally ferrari and lamborghinis to the series should give you "hope " that they will improve on and finally include porshe in the series , because we could argue these things shouldve been in the game already or what ever. Its just people have their opinions. Nobody can make you like something you hate.The old cliche on this forum, dont like it move on.

Thank you Dmarc for proving my point. I see nothing that shows them bringing Porsche and I bet even the car company couldn't care less. EA will probably keep hold of Porsche for years to come to keep FM and T10 in their pocket so they don't have to worry about the sim market.

Where do I claim "I hate" GT/PD, try to stick to what I write and not over dramatize it. Reading between the lines here in my oppinion is you, once again on another thread defending GT. Funny part is I even say I'm a fan of the series, but don't hold it in such high regard because it doesn't deserve it. Step into the other threads that talk about sim racers and see how much interaction they have with themselves and the fans that's point one. I highly doubt you done that or even commented in them but you could prove me wrong. I'm glad KY is proud of his drivers and keeps us more in the loop on their racing than actual games.

Finally all the points you make here that are supposedly suppose to sway me into believing in GT/PD are items that many games have had and had before GT5 thus only proving yet again that they need to play catch up and are somewhat old hat.
 
Pretty much it goes like this. GT5 is great if you like to drive RWD street cars between 200-600hp on tracks like Nurb, Spa and Le Mons. FM4 if you like a great car selection and customization. iRacing and rFactor 2 if you like to drive race cars and race competitively. Richard Burns Rally if you like rally. My solution, play all of them.
 
Back