Help us make the superstar broadcast better

• Thread starter Jimmy B
  • 174 comments
@Lord Protector: as much as I understand your complaint you have to realise its almost impossible to cover each interesting race incident. I have tried to make some movies with lobby races that lasted only 10 minutes with 8 cars. Covering all incidents required 80 minutes of footage to be watched. So imagine 24 cars doing 60 min races or even more !

The only solution to this is that the players be sending out their “special moments/actions” to the editors of the videos. Something like reporting incidents at stewards after the race.

Seems a simple and fair solution for even more interesting videos of the whole field !

@Jimmy B: fantastic commentary ! Nothing to add its just awesome. The only thing is the graphs on the screen could indeed be a bit smaller. They captivate too much of the screen. The ones on the upper and lower right corners.

Last edited:
Great to have the full races finally, commentary and race direction was great. Hope we can get to see qualifying and be able to have them live streamed at some point soon.

A few little mistakes in the commentary I wanted to mention:
1. Rolling starts aren't controlled by us. We start in auto drive and everyone goes at the same time.
2. The setups of the cars are fixed, so Fuvaros couldn't have adjusted the wing levels of his car.
3. Manufactures Cup has a 2 car per manufacture limit not 3.
4. Basically no one run traction control in these races since its slower for all the top driver (Except if there is a standing start where almost everyone will use it until 2nd gear)

Below is the predicted lineup for the next EMEA Manufactures race + some reserves

View attachment 762615

Also completely off topic but it was cool to see you watching some of our 2 hour endurance race on sunday

Ok so @Jimmy B time for the informations acquired after a few testing in open lobbies

This is dedicated to all the casters so pls guys feel free to add informations and tell me if i'm wrong somewhere.

First i quote @Cuber Tom post because he is right about the expected entry list and the informations he gave in the 4 points of his post

Then it's time for some analysis about the track and the cars that will be used in the race, so, to begin with track limits, in Monza, kerbs are lava but you can still try to play with fire, that is to say that 1st and 2nd chicane can each reward you with 2 penalties if you go too far on the inside of each turn that form these chicanes, the other main part when it's "easy" to get penalised is the variante ascari, where going too much on the kerbs will also reward you with penalties (maybe there are other "critical penalty points", i'm asking other drivers to complete if they know more about it)

Following with the best cars for the track and for the race : So for this track, looking at the entry list, i think everyone will agree with me that the 3 best manufacturers here should be Nissan, Ferrari, and Jaguar

However, there are some cars that i consider as "best underdogs" that might be able to take good spots, these are the Dodge, Mercedes Benz, Chevrolet, and probably derek's Volkswagen as he runs the VGT

Next, let's talk about the standing start, some cars are way better than others when it comes to this exercise,

Let's begin with the best cars for standing starts, these are the Citroën, Honda, and Ferrari, (maybe some other cars that i don't really know are good like the volkswagen or the mercedes but i don't want to say wrong things) so these cars should gain some positions right after the start before first turn (unless everyone keep it safe for first turn, thing that i would really appreciate :lol:)

Now the cars that really struggles on standing starts, these are the Renaults and the Nissan, it would honestly not be a surprise to see a Nissan on pole position but it would also not be a surprise to see that it already have dropped to something like P5 by the first turn of the race

For race strategy, i bet that everyone will know the number of laps that the race will last (remember that it's an endurance race of 25 minutes) so we should see everyone pitting on the same lap, fuel consumption management will be an interesting thing to watch, as it can help to win some time on pits.

For the race favourite, i would go with TRL_LIGHTNING, because the Nissan will be a really strong car at Monza, and we all know that he is already a monster even when the car isn't really at ease :lol:

That's all for me @Jimmy B, i hope you'll appreciate and that these informations will be usefull (and don't give up with Wang, we all know Baku could be a difficult race :lol:)

Last edited:
This Tom Brooks fella in the commentators cut is too much. If he's that quick every race, no thanks! The cars do the going fast part, he should slow down. Will miss out on so much that way.

You get on so much better with @Irelique and you really compliment each other on the streams. Really good pace! So hopefully that's a sticking partnership for the future!

Maybe some more coverage of the field would be good (Maybe you should have that control if you don't). in the EMEA manufacturers race, turn 1 had a car off that went from 10th to 18th (Jomas). That wasn't covered at all considering he's a very good driver!. Watching the timings on EMEA and Americas, it looked like a lot of close battles were happening all over the field!. You seem to be commentating on the timing board half the time also. Food for thought

Maybe try and get some real names as has been mentioned before. We know who is entering these races before they start so it should be do-able. I find it hard to keep a straight face and interest when screen names are being called. Obviously that has nothing to do with the commentators as I'm a big fan of your commentary @Jimmy B. Catch all your streams! (fan boy fan boy)

@Lord Protector: as much as I understand your complaint you have to realise its almost impossible to cover each interesting race incident. I have tried to make some movies with lobby races that lasted only 10 minutes with 8 cars. Covering all incidents required 80 minutes of footage to be watched. So imagine 24 cars doing 60 min races or even more !

The only solution to this is that the players be sending out their “special moments/actions” to the editors of the videos. Something like reporting incidents at stewards after the race.

Seems a simple and fair solution for even more interesting videos of the whole field !

@Jimmy B: fantastic commentary ! Nothing to add its just awesome. The only thing is the graphs on the screen could indeed be a bit smaller. They captivate too much of the screen. The ones on the upper and lower right corners.
Not true. They could just simply run the replay once and watch ONLY the leaderboards. There's a position-change indicator so they could just write down the timestamps of each major incident and/or big mistake that resulted in position loss and put that in the "replay" mode once it happens on track.

Really not a big deal and anyone with some basic editing skills could to that.

Reading all the players' messages and than finding it in the replays would be much more time consuming anyway.

Hey guys,

My name is Jimmy Broadbent and i'm one of the commentators tasked with calling the superstar races.

At the moment we're in the process of improving the broadcast (keep an eye on the Gran Turismo YouTube channel) and I thought it would be a good idea to reach out to you guys and find out what you'd like see/hear on future race broadcasts.

I know there have been a couple of small issues with some of the races (i tend to get a first hand view) but my goal is to make sure the broadcast is the best it can be, so any help you can give would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Jimmy, Ive already told this to Lucas Ordóñez. Your streams were great, both spanish and english one. I just miss a little more info on every driver and team they are part of. It would be nice if possible - Ive noticed you commentators barely have the time to comment things outside whats happening on track- to mention a few details on each of the players on their simracing/gt carreer. Maybe if theyve been recently in GT face-to-face events, whats their simracing team and who are their teammates...

Hi Jimmy, Nicolas Rubilar (a.k.a FT_NicoR) here :)

Your streams are completely amazing, its a complete fun to be watching it, incredible work !!

But something i would like to see, on the intro of the race, where you mention all the turns of the track and how complicated they are, i would add to your explanation, a replay of the fastest lap done in the "Free Practice" mode of europe (for europe livestream) and of america (for americas livestream) , i guess this will make your explanation of the circuit much more fluid and the viewers can have an idea of how tough the race will be, overtaking places, and etcetera.

Keep doing this amazing work!!

Greetings from Chile :cheers:

Hello, I’m not going to write a novel. I know probably all the comments are going to say what I’m thinking aswell to help the broadcast. My 1 only thing I wish to see that would help improve the broadcast when watching the race is increase the actual race volume. When watching the race you can barely hear the cars ZOOM by or anything. That’s all, thank you! Big cheers! Keep up the amazing work.

The commentary is good, but the overlays and names are to big and distract from the cars. Maybe disable the name as this info is also in the camera overlay? Also maybe they should make it more interactive where we can see the race from within GT sport (Like a replay but live) so we can choose what car and camera we want to see?

Also because we don't know who are racing behind the psn names I think it is hard to have a favorite driver. With real motorsport you get to know a bit about who is driving. Maybe it is an idea to let those drivers submit some info about there location, sponsors and previous results?

English Subtitles is a good alternative

Or there's that, but if PD have gone to the trouble of making an English video for the two other regions, there shouldn't be a problem organising the English commentators (or maybe even someone Australia/NZ as a guest) to do another video.

Btw, captions are only available for Japanese. :(

K32
Or there's that, but if PD have gone to the trouble of making an English video for the two other regions, there shouldn't be a problem organising the English commentators (or maybe even someone Australia/NZ as a guest) to do another video.

If they would do Asia as well it would be a 12 hour days work every Saturday with a Superstars Race for the English commentators due to the gap in the Top 24 races and the fact they are all recorded live. Jimmy says doing 4 races is already hard work. :lol:

Add in the fact that literally everyone at the sharp end of Asia is Japanese (Saika being the one exception I can think of) and it probably isn't worth doing for them overall.

If they would do Asia as well it would be a 12 hour days work every Saturday with a Superstars Race for the English commentators due to the gap in the Top 24 races and the fact they are all recorded live. Jimmy says doing 4 races is already hard work. :lol:

Remember this? ↓

K32
...the English commentators (or maybe even someone from Australia/NZ as a guest) to do another video...

You can always get someone else to do it, PD could maybe ask those guys from Speedweek if they have any spare time to do some extra commentating apart from their E-sports series.

Add in the fact that literally everyone at the sharp end of Asia is Japanese (Saika being the one exception I can think of) and it probably isn't worth doing for them overall.

And now you're assuming that "literally everyone" in Asia/Oceania speaks Japanese?

If anything, at least make the subtitles English. Australia and New Zealand make up a significant part of this region in GTS and we should be allowed to follow these events as easily as the Japanese or any other nation of the region.

EDIT: Sorry about the attached png, my trackpad can be a little difficult at times.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    263 bytes · Views: 5
Last edited:
K32
And now you're assuming that "literally everyone" in Asia/Oceania speaks Japanese?

Absolutely not, but let me present you with 2 facts

1. In the Round 6 Manufacturer Top 24, literally 22 of the drivers were Japanese (From memory, might be 23 actually)

2. In Europe, If every minority spoken language had to be covered via commentary or subtitles, there would need to be over twenty translations.

In an ideal world, I'm sure they'd love to cover every language in every region, but this isn't sustainable, and with 80% (pulling this figure from nowhere but its probably about accurate) of the Asian regions viewers speaking Japanese, that's probably the reason they made the call to go with Japanese commentary only in Asia.

Yeah subtitles are way easier to do and good enough for those who want to enjoy the Asia/Oceania races.

More coverage beyond the top 24 races.

Think Tidgney has suggested media slots on his channel a few times.

Set a time for each round, these will be covered just like the T24s. 8pm Nations 9pm Manufacturers or similar and that time's top split race is covered.

Will likely attract the Aliens to those slots, will provide a narrative to the season and top 24s and its more work for you guys.

Watched the EU races and this time it felt like a complete package. Loved the track introduction, good addition there.

Great job guys!

I hope PD adds something to track cut penalties so they're not so dominant. Infraction points for minor track cuts, 2 points and you get off with a warning. Third is a time penalty. Major track cuts 1 warning unless you already have an infraction point then you get penalty.

These broadcasts are missing the wheel cam from the Nurburgring Event,i think these broadcasts have to work with the camera angles in the game not everything is available
Exactly, can’t see cockpit view on ingame replays on this game.

Back