Hood (Bonnet) view

• Thread starter Lalalalala
  • 102 comments

What view would you prefer?

• Chase Cam (behind the car)

• Cockpit (interior with steering wheel shown)

• Roof Cam (above the car)

• Bumper Cam (nothing from the car shown at all)

• Hood/Bonnet Cam (camera approximately at where the wipers are, showing the hood/bonnet only)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Is it finally in this time? I am not talking about the roof cam. I really wish that we have a proper hood cam view because that's how people actually see in real life. They don't see the steering wheel unless they look down.
I drove the Mercedes GTR in GT6 last night and it is a true Bonnet Cam.

There are a few cars like it in GT6, it gives a great sense of speed and the visibility you need for close clean racing.
I'd like an option to have it offset to the drivers side for a more driver-realistic view.
Interior is pretty and OK for general cruising. But useless for racing.

Guess this is the right thread to ask.

For those that played it was there anything new in the Chase Cam Point of View? Can we now finally really enjoy the car ;) :)

Totally disagree. I dont even use cars that don't have a cockpit. I race online and as clean and as close as is possible. It's just what you get use to but imo it's the best by far. And in iracing I think in cockpit is mandatory.

Nonsense.

Besides, it's far better than the "chair in the air" NFS-style view, surely?

Chair in the air - good!

The chase cam view always reminds me of a Wimbledon tennis umpires chair which has somehow been attached to a tow bar sticking out the back of the car! The only thing I find that view useful for is checking replay footage when a player has reported dirty driving. But people should have a choice and PD should make the views consistent across all cars.

I want a proper bonnet cam. I always use this in games that have it. But in GT I'm using bumper cam because of the lack of proper bonnet cam.

The NASCAR are probably the worst, not just on the roof, but halfway back. Why?!

I am positive it is just the 2013 Fords that have a camera like that. I drive mostly the 2013 Chevys and they do not look like that. (I drive the other Gens too, and they do not look like that.)
The position of the roof cameras on the NASCAR cars in Gran Turismo is the same position as the roof cameras on NASCAR cars in real life. I believe PD tried to replicate what you would see out of the actual roof camera in real life, but who knows.
I would say close to 90% of the NASCARs show the camera when you are in hood view. So this can not be the case. Or what I am seeing is not the camera. :P

What you call "bumper cam", is called "normal view" in GT6, because it's cockpit view without the car around you. I prefer this until they get a proper through-the-windshield view.

Not really, It is more of a bumper cam but it is set just a little farther back than it should be as a true bumper cam but not as far as cockpit would be. When in bumper cam you will make contact with the car in front when it looks like there is still a little space between but much less than the amount of space if the perspective was from the drivers seat.

The other thing I would like to see changed in GT is the addition of a rear view mirror in bonnet view and roof view. Optional side view mirrors would be good as well.

Forza has a proper Hood/Bonnet view and allows an optional rear view mirror to be displayed. This is much better for me than any of the views in GT 4/5/6

I prefer roof view.

What we need is a way to adjust the camera, so everyone is happy. I keep making this suggestion because I'm hoping one of these days, it happens. Hopefully in GT Sport.
  • Four camera locations: Bumper, Cockpit, Roof, Chase
  • Adjust camera forward/back, left/right, up/down
  • Adjust field of view
  • Adjust sway amount, 0 is fixed
  • Adjust shake amount
For a hood view, pick either Bumper or Cockpit. Say you want to see mostly the road, pick Bumper.
  • Camera up 20
  • Camera back 40
  • Sway 0
  • Shake 10
There you go, a hood view showing just enough of the hood to see it and be oriented. I thought about an aim parameter, but less clutter and confusion is better.

Love this idea and I am pretty sure thats nowhere hard to implement into the game... GT's camera views since GT5 are the worst in the genre for me ...

Also the chasecam is so awful... its far away from the car and way too high, if it was closer you could also enjoy the beauty of the premium models in gameplay... also why is there no option to rotate the camera around the car with the right analog stick? thats a standart by now...

Furthermore the FOV is set extremely narrow and kills the sense of speed. Project Cars has FOV adjustment in each view and you can customnize it to your personal preference. For example when you sit close to your TV just widen FOV and get a better sense of speed. If you sit far away narrow the FOV that it feels not too fast. In GT you cant, when sitting close to the TV you feel like going in slow motion.

I remember the time when you could use the FOV Trick in GT6 it was great! Sense of speed way nicer and visibility aswell. And there were no kind of performance issues game kept running smooth.

maxresdefault.jpg

img6-1920x1080.jpg

Last edited:
The cockpit view in GT6 was rubbish but when I picked up Grid Autosport I found it pretty good so I used it exclusively. When I moved to pc sims it's been cockpit cam all the way. I'd never race any other way now it's just so much more immersive. What's key though is, you need the tools to be able to race this way. In AC we have an app called HeliCorsa, that tells us the proximity of the cars around us and comes in handy in place of a side glance or mirror check. We can also pop up a virtual rear view mirror in addition to the car's own mirrors.

I know a lot of people believe you can't be as fast in cockpit view but that too is rubbish. I think a proper FOV has made me even faster as well.

I have always liked this view from Drive Club, top of the dash (no Wheel) so you see your own wheel when playing and this dash is then perfect full view of the road. I wish more games have this 'Dash cam' view or the helmet cam view in PCars is cool too but I am not sure if any one is aloud to copy this.
(random video for link)

The cockpit view in GT6 was rubbish but when I picked up Grid Autosport I found it pretty good so I used it exclusively. When I moved to pc sims it's been cockpit cam all the way. I'd never race any other way now it's just so much more immersive. What's key though is, you need the tools to be able to race this way. In AC we have an app called HeliCorsa, that tells us the proximity of the cars around us and comes in handy in place of a side glance or mirror check. We can also pop up a virtual rear view mirror in addition to the car's own mirrors.

I know a lot of people believe you can't be as fast in cockpit view but that too is rubbish. I think a proper FOV has made me even faster as well.

The thing is GT has never got the focal point or FOV right.
GT6 in car is really annoying with the wheel and arms moving slower than my own.
Even getting rid of those, optionally, would be a step ahead

I wish the game will be more consistent with the camera positions this time. In GT6 the chase cam on some cars was close, on others far away making the cars really small. The hood cam was always in different positions and even on the roof. The same goes for interior cam. One Mini had a nice view, the other was too close to the steering wheel. Some were too low, some too high, Suzuki Cervo was too low and off-centre (In GT5 it was fine).

Not really, It is more of a bumper cam but it is set just a little farther back than it should be as a true bumper cam but not as far as cockpit would be. When in bumper cam you will make contact with the car in front when it looks like there is still a little space between but much less than the amount of space if the perspective was from the drivers seat.

The other thing I would like to see changed in GT is the addition of a rear view mirror in bonnet view and roof view. Optional side view mirrors would be good as well.

Forza has a proper Hood/Bonnet view and allows an optional rear view mirror to be displayed. This is much better for me than any of the views in GT 4/5/6
Actually it was a proper bumpercam earlier, but I seem to remember a thread (I'll see if I can find it and paste it in here) where it was well documented that the normal view was the same as cockpit view.

Edit: https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/bumper-camera-myth-busted.301238/

Last edited:
It's been a long time away from GT for me, but I remember that using a single screen in triple screen mode afforded plenty of view tinkering options.

For those that have not experienced it though, it's a magical feeling when a fully adjustable view clicks perfectly in to place. Driving is that much more instinctive and engaging. Anyone with the possibility of lining up an ffb wheel and screen with true to life positioning will be loving the Assetto Corsa adjustability when the time comes.

Interesting to note though that GT5/6's triple screen mode absolutely wipes the floor with that of Project Cars, R3E, and DiRT Rally.

I'm a big fan of the dashboard view, as we have in Dirt Rally and that was recently added to Assetto Corsa. Bonnet cam is pretty nice to have too, the roof cam we have in GT though is terrible and have never liked it.

I still think most of you woud prefer in cockpit view. It's pretty good in GT6 for most cars.

Try these settings and see after a few minute's if can match your normal lap times and race awareness. Set Blind spot indicator to "On". This really gives you an awesome indication of a cars proximity when overtaking so you know when to hold your line or pull in because the pass is made. Second and most crucial is to set interior view angle to "Narrow." Now optionally you can set your "Mic Position" to Hood/Bonnet. This sounds a lot better in most cars.

Anyway give it a try in race and see how you get on. Once you get used to it then racing just the speedo or hood just doesn't feel right after a while. I do a lot of Spa quick match in the Team Peugeot 908 and I never have an issue with situation awareness.

I suppose I could try these suggestions this weekend, but it's still too low for me. The camera really needs to be higher in the cockpit. The horizon line should be up near the rear view mirror. Artists and photographers will know what I mean.

I have to give a shout out to our very own @Jordan who is a roofcam driver too! My favorite view.

I don't call it "bumper cam", a true bumper cam is more like an ant cam, the camera is on the ground. In the GT series, gauges in your view is actually from the driver's seat in an invisible car. This is well documented and proven when GT5 videos were coming out before the game. There was a big foam block floating in mid air in front of a Subby. It was actually sitting on the hood/bonnet, which we saw when the view was changed and during replays.

I have always liked this view from Drive Club, top of the dash (no Wheel) so you see your own wheel when playing and this dash is then perfect full view of the road. I wish more games have this 'Dash cam' view or the helmet cam view in PCars is cool too but I am not sure if any one is aloud to copy this.
(random video for link)

Sebastien Loeb Rally Evo also has this view, and I agree it's very good. I used it in DC and I use it now in SLRE. However, in Pcars, I adjusted my FOV to a comfortable level, and mapped the seat adjustments to my keyboard and I adjust the seat for each car to tweak the view to how I like it. Ideally for me I want the interior view just back a bit from the dash cam in DC and SLRE, but really it depends on the cars, as some cars I like the view further back than others. Pcars allows me this flexibility, so I would ideally want the seat adjustment and FOV adjustment from Pcars in every racing game. Not too much to ask is it? :sly:

I still think most of you woud prefer in cockpit view. It's pretty good in GT6 for most cars.

Try these settings and see after a few minute's if can match your normal lap times and race awareness. Set Blind spot indicator to "On". This really gives you an awesome indication of a cars proximity when overtaking so you know when to hold your line or pull in because the pass is made. Second and most crucial is to set interior view angle to "Narrow." Now optionally you can set your "Mic Position" to Hood/Bonnet. This sounds a lot better in most cars.

Anyway give it a try in race and see how you get on. Once you get used to it then racing just the speedo or hood just doesn't feel right after a while. I do a lot of Spa quick match in the Team Peugeot 908 and I never have an issue with situation awareness.
I use Narrow view in the cockpit cam and I agree it's better than wide, but the narrower FOV removes the true sense of speed that you get in real life by having peripheral vision
The hood view gives you that true sense.
The SLS AMG is a great hood view.
Could be a little lower, but close.

2016-05-24 19.40.27.jpg

I use Narrow view in the cockpit cam and I agree it's better than wide, but the narrower FOV removes the true sense of speed that you get in real life by having peripheral vision
The hood view gives you that true sense.
The SLS AMG is a great hood view.
Could be a little lower, but close.

View attachment 549564

Thats still no hood view though its positioned on the front of the roof right on top of the wind shield. You only see the hood but the cam isnt positioned there. Other cars have a proper hood view such as the Aston Martin Vantage V12.

Another good tip for your guys. @Tenacious D have you tried this?

Use the Skyline R32 GTR, somebody on PD messed it up in a good way. Its a proper Hood/bonnet cam and the FOV is set alot wider giving you a good sense of speed. when you switch then to another view you feel like the game runs in Slow mo :D
Try it out yourself!

Back