Hood (Bonnet) view

• Thread starter Lalalalala
  • 102 comments

What view would you prefer?

• Chase Cam (behind the car)

• Cockpit (interior with steering wheel shown)

• Roof Cam (above the car)

• Bumper Cam (nothing from the car shown at all)

• Hood/Bonnet Cam (camera approximately at where the wipers are, showing the hood/bonnet only)

Results are only viewable after voting.
I still think most of you woud prefer in cockpit view. It's pretty good in GT6 for most cars.

Try these settings and see after a few minute's if can match your normal lap times and race awareness. Set Blind spot indicator to "On". This really gives you an awesome indication of a cars proximity when overtaking so you know when to hold your line or pull in because the pass is made. Second and most crucial is to set interior view angle to "Narrow." Now optionally you can set your "Mic Position" to Hood/Bonnet. This sounds a lot better in most cars.

Anyway give it a try in race and see how you get on. Once you get used to it then racing just the speedo or hood just doesn't feel right after a while. I do a lot of Spa quick match in the Team Peugeot 908 and I never have an issue with situation awareness.

I tried this and this is much better for view and sound for me thanks for the tip (the road noise muffle/bass has gone now) 👍

This is what we want.

665994_orig.jpg

I can't recall the last time I drove with my legs in the engine compartment.

I don't recall claiming it was meant to be representative of where you sit in the car, rather roughly what our eyes see after automatically blocking out the surroundings. Our eyes are not cameras, they're pretty amazing at blocking things out and focusing on what we want to see.

If anything that GRID photo I posted is perhaps a few inches further forward than ideal, but i'll prefer that any day to a view from the roof which is most certainly nothing close to what we see.

Bonnet cam 20 yrs man and boy :cheers:somethings about gt games are never going to change until Kaz retires
this is one of them and the annoying tire squeal. Just got win10 on the pc and I see there's a free forza game
i'd bet that's even got more choice of views

Another good tip for your guys. @Tenacious D have you tried this?

Use the Skyline R32 GTR, somebody on PD messed it up in a good way. Its a proper Hood/bonnet cam and the FOV is set alot wider giving you a good sense of speed. when you switch then to another view you feel like the game runs in Slow mo :D
Try it out yourself!
I did, aaand... I don't like it. :P Like others have said, the weird switching with certain cars to a hood view and a roof view drives me bonkers and makes me not want to use certain cars. I'm hoping that if I lobby hard and long enough, Kaz will take to my concept and include it in Gran Turismo by GT7 at the latest. It's entirely doable, because the cameras are defined by the team, so making them positionable with all those characteristics I listed should be a simple matter of leaving the code in place, with a little user interface.

I'm hoping that if I lobby hard and long enough, Kaz will take to my concept and include it in Gran Turismo by GT7 at the latest
I've made some placards to hold up, when are you planning the first march? I'll be ready.

I've even got my chant...
"What do we want? Proper hood views."
"When do we want it? Soon."

"And if you could add a mirror too that would be good."

I need to work on that last line.

;)

@emula I find it looks pretty similar on those screenshots the people took the pictures or videos only closer to the TV which makes it look also closer as chasecam, you cannot see the full HUD and full FOV. the regular direct Feed Videos show the same chasecam as always for me.

97417,chasecam9UR0B.jpg

Last edited:
I don't recall claiming it was meant to be representative of where you sit in the car, rather roughly what our eyes see after automatically blocking out the surroundings. Our eyes are not cameras, they're pretty amazing at blocking things out and focusing on what we want to see.

If anything that GRID photo I posted is perhaps a few inches further forward than ideal, but i'll prefer that any day to a view from the roof which is most certainly nothing close to what we see.
Exactly, people dont realise that very little is in focus in the human eye

I'm still genuinely confused as to why PD keep pushing the roof view. It feels very unnatural.

The ability to customize our viewpoints would be a lifesaver. In GT6 I'll tend to set the interior view to Narrowest, as it helps a bit on a reasonably-sized screen (32"), but it still doesn't feel right. It just feels like I'm like leaning forward, with my nose up against the wheel rim. In FM6, there's a hood view that I use a lot, but the FOV isn't quite right there, as the car feels too narrow. I appreciate the practicality of having the entire car's width centred in my view, but it does ruin immersion a bit.

Some sort of mash-up of the two would be ideal for me, but I don't see that happening. As plenty of other people have said, the option to remove the wheel and arms would be handy (ha!) too. Not that it's ever really bothered me having them on-screen, but I can understand why people would want them gone.

The thing is, the way my wheel is set up the screen is about where the windscreen would meet the bonnet. So just seeing bonnet through it is actually fairly representative if I was in a real car with just a little box to look through at the same distances.

I mean, unless you're playing with your TV on your lap. Maybe you are, in which case you're totally right.

The idea behind a Hood Camera is that you can have the angle and height of the cockpit camera but without
cockpit itself in the way. Useful for wheel users, sort of.

The idea behind the Roof Camera is that you can see the edges of the car, therefore get the best line possible.

That city track :yuck:. Looks like they made it out of 20 different textures and a handful of stock images. Disgustingly bland.

As plenty of other people have said, the option to remove the wheel and arms would be handy (ha!) too. Not that it's ever really bothered me having them on-screen, but I can understand why people would want them gone.

More options is always a good thing. Personally, the only thing I had against the arms and wheel on screen in GT5 and 6 was the way the wheel only turned 180 degrees. It's horribly off-putting for me. Does GTS at least show the proper amount of lock in the cockpit cam?

I prefer the settings I use in all other sims. Cockpit view with my monitor so close to my wheel I can touch it with my knuckles if I try and my FOV set accurately based on the distance I sit from my monitor so that what I can actually see is the same as what I would see if I put the same sized frame in the same position in the actual car.

When I had a 46" TV on my rig the setup was similar except because of the size of the TV the screen was positioned so that it touched the back of my wheel base. This setup was incredibly immersive. Again the FOV was set realistically in the same way I do with my monitor.

Another thing I didn't mention was the horizon in the image is in line with my eyes as it would be in real life.

I'm not sure I can go back to Gran Turismo unless I can set it up the same. It is too unrealistic to enjoy with the incorrect setup. But I do plan on grabbing VR and that would make it perfect.

I'm still genuinely confused as to why PD keep pushing the roof view. It feels very unnatural.
Have you remarked about this with PCARS? It has a roof view as well. For that matter, how natural is chase or bumper cam?

By the way, our very own Jordan raced at the event in roofcam, and about a quarter to third of those polled use roofcam, so it has its adherents. Options, dude, freedom of choice. ;)

Roof cam can be good; the Project CARS roof cam is actually pretty good. Better than the bonnet cam. It feels weird saying this. Haha

Have you remarked about this with PCARS? It has a roof view as well. For that matter, how natural is chase or bumper cam?

Yes, as an option alongside the bonnet cam on every car. I imagine slip wondered why PD persist with roof over bonnet on the majority of cars.

By the way, our very own Jordan raced at the event in roofcam,

And? I use roof but only because it's the least objectionable, not because it's my preference. Have you asked him?

and about a quarter to third of those polled use roofcam, so it has its adherents.

Are you referring to a poll other than the one in the op? Because 8.6% is not a quarter or a third, not even close.

Options, dude, freedom of choice. ;)

Yes, hence why we want the option of bonnet on all cars. Nobody is asking to get rid of roof, we just want bonnet as well.

On GT6 the only car I know that has the right hood bonnet view is the R32. Right position and nice sense of speed. Tells you a lot about the little details that make the biggest differences.

On GT6 the only car I know that has the right hood bonnet view is the R32. Right position and nice sense of speed. Tells you a lot about the little details that make the biggest differences.

The Aston Martin V12 Vantage has also a bonnet cam aswell as the Amuse Superleggera

Are you referring to a poll other than the one in the op? Because 8.6% is not a quarter or a third, not even close.
Woops, I am. I totally forgot that this had a poll.

But really, using a word like "natural" for a driver view is irrelevant anyway, because a bonnet view isn't any more natural than any other outside-the-cockpit position. At least Mr Bean has actually driven from the roof. :D

But again, I think this is why PD should implement my suggestion. EVERYONE gets the view they want. How much harder would it be than adjusting a seat? You mess up, don't like it? Hit Default and start over. This way, if you want something as different as a hang gliding view, you can have it.

But really, using a word like "natural" for a driver view is irrelevant anyway, because a bonnet view isn't any more natural than any other outside-the-cockpit position. At least Mr Bean has actually driven from the roof.

Yes it is. The bonnet view, when done properly, is the exact same viewing height as cockpit and ergo real life, just 'zoomed in' as your eyes naturally do, and compensating your distance from the virtual screen. A roof view is as if you are laid flat on your stomach on the roof. Which Mr Bean wasn't doing by the way.

But yes, certainly no disagreement that they should be offering an adjustable view that suits everyone.

Yes it is. The bonnet view, when done properly, is the exact same viewing height as cockpit
Yes, but that's the nitpick, isn't it. I don't find any of those cockpit or hood/bonnet views to be right. Cockpit is too far back and too low, and hood view makes me feel like I'm half stuck through the windshield with my head just above the metal. It's even lower, and I constantly catch myself craning my head, as if that would give me a better look at the road. ;)

If they give us roof view and no other, hood view guys will dislike it. If they discard roof for hood, we won't like it. If some cars have one and some another, it's going to drive us all bonkers. And this is why I have to reiterate that PD REALLY needs to give us adjustable views. Kaz, be the first, or one of the first, to let us define our racing views ourselves. It can be done without too much trouble. ;)👍

No, because I don't really care about the view options in PCARS (never mind what relevance, or lack thereof, that has in this thread). I played the game for a few hours and it bore me. I'd like that to not happen with GT. As @Samus said, my comment was referring to Polyphony's use of a roof cam instead of a hood cam on most cars.

By the way, our very own Jordan raced at the event in roofcam, and about a quarter to third of those polled use roofcam, so it has its adherents.

I really shouldn't have to explain how using a particular view when other ones aren't available in the game is not the same as preferring said view.

Options, dude, freedom of choice. ;)

That might be the clever "aha gotcha" you planned if you hadn't intentionally cut off the part of my post that directly addressed it. Since you seemed to miss it:

The ability to customize our viewpoints would be a lifesaver. In GT6 I'll tend to set the interior view to Narrowest, as it helps a bit on a reasonably-sized screen (32"), but it still doesn't feel right. It just feels like I'm like leaning forward, with my nose up against the wheel rim. In FM6, there's a hood view that I use a lot, but the FOV isn't quite right there, as the car feels too narrow. I appreciate the practicality of having the entire car's width centred in my view, but it does ruin immersion a bit.

Some sort of mash-up of the two would be ideal for me, but I don't see that happening. As plenty of other people have said, the option to remove the wheel and arms would be handy (ha!) too. Not that it's ever really bothered me having them on-screen, but I can understand why people would want them gone.

Slip, I'm at a loss as to what you're saying. Are you after a mashup of roof and cockpit view?? But since you make it clear we both want options, I will happily harmonize with you on that.

@emula I find it looks pretty similar on those screenshots the people took the pictures or videos only closer to the TV which makes it look also closer as chasecam, you cannot see the full HUD and full FOV. the regular direct Feed Videos show the same chasecam as always for me.

97417,chasecam9UR0B.jpg

looks good to me

Back