How can i make the Abarth 1000 more driveable?

• Thread starter j0nny0093
  • 6 comments
Giovanni_0093
I found this game yesterday in my town so i bought it , i won the abarth 1000 and i like it, but it's undriveable... i tryed to tune up the car , but only a few i made it better..

It's a nervous little top, isn't it?

Unfortunately I don't think you'll be able to tune the snap-oversteer out of it. You can tune it to understeer more (eg. harder front, softer rear) and definitely make sure the LSD isn't too tight (probably less than 50%), but ultimately a change in driving habits may be all you can do. Drivetrain lash is harsher in this game (closer to reality) than most racing games; try cruising at the "speed limit" in top gear and you'll see the difference in handling. The car will want to kick out on you if you brake/decelerate suddenly at high RPM, so keep the revs a little more relaxed and be as smooth as possible.

I love this game to death and have played it for almost eight years now, but I still can't use the full throttle range of a car like the 1000 Abarth or Shelby Cobra at 10/10ths without making any mistakes. If you ask me, that's accuracy. :)

Yes, the snap-oversteer is crazy. This car requires gentleness with the throttle and the brakes as well as smooth steering. That's the best advice I can personally give you. It is far more effective and better than all the different tunes I've tried to get it ''right'' without any luck thus far.

I agree with all above, the little thing is one of the most difficult cars to control in the game, as it is to be expected from a short wheel base lightweight rear engined racing car made in the 60s (Enthusia simulates grip levels according to production year).

Glad to see yet another person playing the game. j0nny0093, I hope you will try my Tsukuba Time Attack League & Hall of Fame

Driving this car is definitely a rewarding experience once you get the hang of its handling. It's hard though, it really has a bit of everything to show off when you least want it. :D

I recommend braking with the throttle applied. Your braking distance will increase considerably, but you will be able to normally steer into a corner without braking the traction on the rear end. I often use this to enter long, semi-fast sweepers that gradually tighten as you drive through them (e.g. last corner on Tsukuba). It takes some time to get used to this technique, but it gives you stability you need.

Once you master that, you can start braking fully on straights, and then adding throttle before turning in while the brakes are still applied. This shortens braking distance while keeping the car stable. It takes lots of practice, especially if you're on controller because you need to assign throttle and braking commands on buttons that won't make carrying out the technique inconvenient.

You can rely on heavy tuning, but in most cases you'll compromise car's turning ability or grip on the front end, so it's better to focus on adapting to the car's behaviour and start doing little setup tweaks from there.

I've always been more inclined to adjust my driving first before adjusting the setup, too. For the throttle and brake buttons, I prefer going analog-trigger-style with R2 and L2. It works so well that it's a wonder that seemingly no one considered it back in the PS2 days. :)

I made a video on this subject, a short tutorial to visualize what I posted in my previous post. Hopefully it will be helpful. :)

Latest Posts

Back