How in the Frank Bruno did Forza III do it?

• Thread starter LP670-4 SV
  • 924 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
Prove it!

http://jalopnik.com/cars/feature/fr...corvette-scanned-into-gran-turismo-238136.php

Read it.

*edit

If it's too much too read here are some quotes:

"The first scan they did was the underside of the car. They did a pan of the chassis. As they were scanning it, in real time, there was a 3-D wireframe model being built of the car on the screen. You could actually see the relationship between the body mounts and the floor. You could see the exhaust and the clearance that the exhaust had. You could see the tread pattern on the tires, the horns, and all the fasteners holding those in place, the whole chassis, the headers, the oil pan - everything", said Craig.

After the bottom half of the car was scanned in the rack was dropped and the interior transferred into binary for a complete 3-D model.

When the scan was complete a full 3d model of the car was soon rotating around on the computer screen. With a click or two of the mouse the entire car began unfolding in three dimensions on a screen in front of Art and Craig's eyes. To fill in the wireframe back at GTHD central a four-person crew took video and still imagery of the car.

"They took video of me going through the gears, and the starting sequence of the car. Turning the wheel. Setting the e-brake. Pulling the hood release. Hi-beam Lo-beam. Everything." said Craig.

"They have a crew of 40 people that are going to spend the next six months building our car for the game. That's the amount of detail", said Craig.

Imagine doing this with 1000 cars. We gotta be more realistic.

Last edited:
But that's what sony did for 80% of the cars in gt5.

Are you sure about this? I remember an Interview with KY where he stated that all the GT PSP cars were downsampled from the GT5 models and he was quite proud of that fact. Why would they reuse GT4 models to GT5 then back down to GTPSP?

I've played prologue, which is close enough.

That'll be Prologue, which is 3 years old and has half the poly count?

It's just it looks like you're calling people fanboys because you've played FM3 which means you know what it looks like in-game and you're then comparing it visually to a game you haven't played, which means you don't know what it looks like in-game.

But it can't be that, because that'd make both your comments about other people being fanboys and:

One would think you would the intelligence to figure that out.

hilariously self-defeating. I'd guess there's a second hidden meaning I don't the intelligence (sic) to figure out.

That'll be Prologue, which is 3 years old and has half the poly count?

It's just it looks like you're calling people fanboys because you've played FM3 which means you know what it looks like in-game and you're then comparing it visually to a game you haven't played, which means you don't know what it looks like in-game.

But it can't be that, because that'd make both your comments about other people being fanboys and:

hilariously self-defeating. I'd guess there's a second hidden meaning I don't the intelligence (sic) to figure
out.

I was typing on an Iphone, 🤬.

How'd a asshole like you become a mod?

I don't mean to be rude but when I watched the E3 GT5 trailer the first thing that came to my mind was "wow this shows the difference between a rushed game and a game that has been developed for many years".

Personally I find Turn 10s modelling of cars very poor. Recently someone highlighted on a thread on FM.net about a car that had its seat missing! Such a glaring error wouldn't occur in GT5.

The forza fanboys are shocked and bemused at the latest videos of GT5 and now they are straw clutching to find any faults!

I was typing on an Iphone, 🤬.

How'd a asshole like you become a mod?

By being smart enough not to contradict myself in one of my first posts, and committing suicide just a couple of posts later.

Bye now.

Recently someone highlighted on a thread on FM.net about a car that had its seat missing! Such a glaring error wouldn't occur in GT5.

Urgent note to KY from Dev team:

BAD NEWS apparently 1600 seats are missing from our car models.

Response from KY to dev team:

It's cool, we'll just say we did it on purpose :P

Urgent note to KY from Dev team:

BAD NEWS apparently 1600 seats are missing from our car models.

Response from KY to dev team:

It's cool, we'll just say we did it on purpose :P

Haha.

Well I guess it's better than saying every car in the game is to have detailed cockpits, while the reality shows that all cockpit varies in quality ranging from horrible to good.

I have faith in Kaz that the Premium cars will equally look good in detail as promised.

Yes, they did. 80% of the cars a assets from previous games, just tarted up a bit. Get over it.

It's more the other way round - 80% of GT5's cars were in previous games, just dumbed down a bit. We know at least that the GT4 models captured were done in far more detail than the game could possibly display, to "futureproof" the models.

Pity they apparently didn't think to futureproof them by modelling the insides to the same level.

🤬 YEAH FANBOYISM.

Forza looks almost as good as GT5, I know because I've actually played the god-damn game.

That has to be the most laughable comment i've read on here.

Until we are sittng in our living rooms with GT5 actually running on our HDTVS then you cannot really say this. However I personally think FM3 doesn't even get close to GT5P let alone GT5. The graphics on FM3 are okay but in a cartoony kind of way rather than realistic.

Watch this video of mine below and although the graphics are nice they certainly aren't photo realistic. Clearly tell you are watching a video game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVYdYc4DFiU

I haven't got the time or patience to read the full thread. I don't own a Xbox neither (of course) FM3, having only experienced it in a demonstration booth twice.

To me personally, this thing of standard cars not having cockpit view is a big letdown and a step backwards for the series - I find it contradictory to the "famed" perfectionism of KY. Would be much more logically in my opinion to have half of the cars, all with interior view, at least at prologue's level of quality.

"Expect perfection" - they (PD/Sony/KY) supposedly said. "On selected models only", I would add...

It's more the other way round - 80% of GT5's cars were in previous games, just dumbed down a bit. We know at least that the GT4 models captured were done in far more detail than the game could possibly display, to "futureproof" the models.

Pity they apparently didn't think to futureproof them by modelling the insides to the same level.

This.

Plus can you please hit pluto3 with the ban hammer, he is a clear troll as you can see and all his posts are trolling, my bets is he is from fm3 forums.

I haven't got the time or patience to read the full thread. I don't own a Xbox neither (of course) FM3, having only experienced it in a demonstration booth twice.

To me personally, this thing of standard cars not having cockpit view is a big letdown and a step backwards for the series - I find it contradictory to the "famed" perfectionism of KY. Would be much more logically in my opinion to have half of the cars, all with interior view, at least at prologue's level of quality.

"Expect perfection" - they (PD/Sony/KY) supposedly said. "On selected models only", I would add...

Just look at the 800 cars thing as more like an extra thing or favor to the 200 premiums, rather than a step back in the series, which wouldn't make sense because those 800 cars are much better modeled than GT4. The set standard of premium cars Kaz and PD is aiming for is just not possible for all 1000 cars in the allotted time. Like I said in another thread, the standard of each car would be much lower if PD were to model the interiors for all cars, which can lead to a possibility of horrid looking cockpits in all cars. PD wouldn't want that and would rather not have it at all.

Also, the expect perfection quote wasn't quoted towards the modeling of cars I don't think. I think it was damage, but that's another subject.

So what I get from this thread is:

T10 modeled the front portion of the drivers area in a way that under inspection, isn't all that great. And that pretty much renders them valueless and crap.

PD didn't model the inside of most of their cars at all but that's ok becuase who cares about what the insides of cars look like...

Ok....

That's what you "get" because you have tunnel vision.

What I get is:

T10 modeled the front portion of the drivers area in a way that under inspection, isn't all that great. And that pretty much renders them valueless and crap.

PD modeled 200 interiors perfectly because it wasn't possible for them to model more at the graphical standard they set. They also ported over 800 cars from previous games that they had already modelled perfectly to a standard that is still superior to Forza's, due to their foresight and diligence when making GT4.

PD modeled 200 interiors perfectly because it wasn't possible for them to model more at the graphical standard they set.

Yes that is it. You're thinking the same way I am.

If PD were to make the cockpits at the graphical standard of FM3, surely there would be much more than 200.

Forza:
Matchbox%20Red%2067%20Fastback.jpg

GT:
AA90084_1.jpg

Now that's not a slur on Forza at all, it's just a a literal representation imo. Forza have a "cut-corners, bodge it together, it doesn't matter if it's not perfect, it's close enough" mentality, and sure it gets the game out there to the fans, playable, and people can have fun and play the game without being all pedantic about it. After all, it's just a game!

PD obviously aren't willing to settle for that standard, so we have to wait much longer for progress. There's upsides and downsides to each approach.

You don't get people saying "WTF Minichamps!? Matchbox have made way more models than you, what the hell have you been doing all this time??" The answer should be obvious - detail and accuracy is superior so the design and manufacturing process is slower.

Having said that: I wish PD would spend less time modelling people chatting on the phone or playing with their kids in plazas. That really is a total waste of time imo.

Last edited:
You need to tint the windows of the Aston so you can't see the interior. Otherwise 👍

True actually, as raw models the detail would have been way higher than even PS3 can handle I'm sure.

I just saw that the standart models dont have interior and guess what? i knew it!!! 1000 cars is a insane number and to reach the level of exterior is DOUBLE insane, you must have a really big big crew to make that, is totally understable in terms of logistic.

IMO as other member said because is "standart" today that all car games have a cockpit view doesnt mind that GT5 must have, personally i dont use the cockpit view (i use the bumper cam because the wheel) so its ok for me, BUT, PD and in a higher level KY must ask herself if 1000 cars are necessarily, with 500 cars all at same level of detail im ok, i think that is the only point i can argue at PD/Kaz, the rest its perfect for me like previous titles.

Just look at the 800 cars thing as more like an extra thing or favor to the 200 premiums, rather than a step back in the series, which wouldn't make sense because those 800 cars are much better modeled than GT4. The set standard of premium cars Kaz and PD is aiming for is just not possible for all 1000 cars in the allotted time. Like I said in another thread, the standard of each car would be much lower if PD were to model the interiors for all cars, which can lead to a possibility of horrid looking cockpits in all cars. PD wouldn't want that and would rather not have it at all.

Also, the expect perfection quote wasn't quoted towards the modeling of cars I don't think. I think it was damage, but that's another subject.

I do accept that this might have been KY/PD logic to go this way. The letdown to me is that this is completely opposite to what the GT-series tradition was - quality above quantity, although usually they managed to have them close together brilliant. Until now.

As I've said in another thread, we have come down from a "all car (but one) with interior view Demo" to a "only 20% of the total cars with interior view and up-to-state general looks final product". This cannot be seen otherwise but as a big retrocess...

I think it would be a good idea if they looked at what standard cars are used the most on the time trial sheets, lets say top 10 and then put interiors on these cars every 4 months to do the top 10.

I think my idea could work, what do you guys think?

I think it would be a good idea if they looked at what standard cars are used the most on the time trial sheets, lets say top 10 and then put interiors on these cars every 4 months to do the top 10.

I think my idea could work, what do you guys think?

I'd say I'd prefer for them to release the game only with the 200 premium cars and then progressively adding by dlc the whatever cars they'd like as premium also. (By premium I mean prologue like quality - interior and exterior - at least).

[OT]
I think the GT5 forum is nowadays a particularly impressive show of human nature. human interiors modelled and all. And these days with nearly 1000 specimens, about 20% of them fully rendered (members) and 80% unable to show their inner worth (guests don't write :D )

And I'll tell you, if this is a sample of what human nature is about, I have no doubt ... I prefer cars :lol:
[/OT]

About what's being discussed (Forza having 400 + cars you can drive with cockpit view, while apparently GT5 will have only about 200), I find it laughable. All of it. Including fanboyism. All of it.

Games ... they exist to be played. Have fun, people.

This is by NO means I'm a Forza fan, but how did they manage to build 400+ cars in 2 1/2 years that are the most detailed cars second to GT5's "premium cars" I just don't get it?

The games are not just cars. That´s why. And the Premium cars are LIGHTYEARS ahead compared to Forzas

You can´t even compare the size of GT5 to all the Forza games together.

You shouldn´t even be allowed to say GT5 and Forza in the same sentence.

Open your eyes and try to understand just how BIG GT5 is as gameplay etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back