How many of you use driving wheel?

• Thread starter Pathaway
  • 157 comments

Do you use a Driving Wheel or a Pad in GT5:P?

• I'm using Driving Wheel.

Votes: 228 73.5%
  • I'm using the Gamepad.

Votes: 82 26.5%

• Total voters
wow, people have some really nice setups out there with various wheels/racing seats!

as much as I want one, my wife is dead set against me using a racing seat in our small livingroom. if she had her way I would be forced to use the controller =/

do any of you married guys know of any ways around this problem?(besides getting a divorce or bringing my tv/ps3 out to the shed...)anyone seen any foldable racing seats or something easier to store away?

right now the plan is too build a new "end table" meant for use with the wheel/pedals to get as close as possible to racing posture from the couch

Try something like this mate. And I mean the seat and table lol.
GT3Endur.jpg

P.S not posted by me found it in the wheel forums on here

wow, people have some really nice setups out there with various wheels/racing seats!

as much as I want one, my wife is dead set against me using a racing seat in our small livingroom. if she had her way I would be forced to use the controller =/

do any of you married guys know of any ways around this problem?(besides getting a divorce or bringing my tv/ps3 out to the shed...)anyone seen any foldable racing seats or something easier to store away?

right now the plan is too build a new "end table" meant for use with the wheel/pedals to get as close as possible to racing posture from the couch

I have the same problem, my solution was to buy a Wheel Stand Pro just google it. It is an excellent piece of kit and very good value for money, the company has excellent customer service and a very quick delivery time.

I use it with a gaming seat.

*snip* do any of you married guys know of any ways around this problem?(besides getting a divorce or bringing my tv/ps3 out to the shed...)anyone seen any foldable racing seats or something easier to store away?
There is a game frame from BRD that is foldable and could be a solution for your racing problem. click for game frame and BRD site

I'm getting a new G25 wheel . W00t. Mine wasn't working like it should be and I get a new instead. Good service Logitech!

:)

You married the wrong woman. My wife loves cars and was happy when I got my steering wheel. She's encouraging me to make a more realistic seat setup for my DFGT so she can enjoy it more too. :)

well i'm gonna go against the grain here...
a wheel isnt for everyone.for years i've read and heard great tales of a wheel over a pad.
well its not so in my case.I purchased a DF GT the other day,and now having many hours in its just too hard to drive as fast as i can with a pad (DS3)
its fun dont get me wrong.but its not what i was expecting.

Pad. My boyfriend has the wheel for the 360, but not the Logitech brand wheel that can be used for the PS3. I'm itching for the wheel guys, especially with GT5:P out in the US now. Can't wait!

I'm using a DFP but I'm trying to save some $$ for a G25 or wait for something even better when GT5 gets released.

Because I don't have a wheel at the moment, I'm forced to use the controller. I don't know how they do it, driving with a controller!

I've played all previous GT games with the DS sticks and I still don't have a wheel, so it's the same for GT5P at the moment. I'm seriously thinking about buying one though.

I use the wheel and will not even touch the gamepad... but my girlfriend on the other hand uses both. She mostly uses the gamepad, but does the same amount of time on the wheel.... And I don't know why, but there have been times where she's given me a run for my money...hahahah.

i still dont have a wheel. i was pretty set on getting a G25 but i think i may just go for the DFGT. i would love a clutch but if it doesnt work too well then theres not really a point o justify the extra 100 dollars.

On our annual nationwide flee market (Queen mum's birthday) I got my hands on a second hand Driving Force wheel. So since two days I'm a wheel user too, man it's great, I managed to squeeze out about the same laptimes as with the sixaxis so that's no problem, but, I now have the feeling I'm a lot more consistant in my laptimes, especially throttle and brake control are sooooo much better now. I'm still no leaderboard material but I'm making little steps up now...

I bought my first wheel (DFP) last week. I blew out the nerve endings in my steering thumb using a PS3 controller. Just starting to get some feeling back now. Love the wheel and pedals. 👍

On our annual nationwide flee market (Queen mum's birthday) I got my hands on a second hand Driving Force wheel. So since two days I'm a wheel user too, man it's great, I managed to squeeze out about the same laptimes as with the sixaxis so that's no problem, but, I now have the feeling I'm a lot more consistant in my laptimes, especially throttle and brake control are sooooo much better now. I'm still no leaderboard material but I'm making little steps up now...

yeah. its way easier to control throttle and brake pressure when you have 6 inches to work with as opposed to 6 millimeters. for me the biggest problem isnt controlling gas and brake, but the steering. i have more success finessing the joystick up and down than i do side to side.

waiting for my economy stimulus check to stimulate my gaming experience.

You married the wrong woman. My wife loves cars and was happy when I got my steering wheel. She's encouraging me to make a more realistic seat setup for my DFGT so she can enjoy it more too. :)

My first post here and it happens to be a brag. Yeah, I agree with the poster above. My wife kept trying to convince me to get a racing chair. I finally caved and got the playseat evo. She even insisted on paying half the cost. I was like, "why is it so important to you for me to get this thing?" Her response, "a gamer should have a gaming seat." And the kicker, she started assembling it when I brought it home. She had dinner ready for me when I walked through the door and told me to go eat so she could start assemblying it. I kind of felt guilty. Almost wondering if I'm getting setup.

I'm using the pad. I have a Logitech NASCAR wheel that doesn't have force feedback, and I can't stand it. The pedals slide around, I can't get comfortable with any combination of available furniture, etc. I want a force feedback wheel, but they're at least $150, and the wife isn't working right now. And at 44, I'm pretty sure she doesn't want me building a cockpit in the living room!
I'll be getting a good wheel eventually, though.
What wheel will work with GT4 AND GT5?

I use the DFP. You can add me to the list of married guys whose wife encouraged him to buy it. She said I should really get the wheel and even shopped for it for me. She found it on Overstock.com, refurbished, for $70. That was ~2 years ago... I'm glad I listened to her!

I have now reluctantly reverted back to the sixasis. I built myself a bespoke folding cockpit and invested some hard earned cash on a DFP but I am really struggling. Perhaps you guys could give me some tips, here's my problem -
When using the wheel I love the progressive throttle and brake. I am so much smoother and more accurate on the turns but I am forever spinning. Mostly online when I get hit by another car. With the sixasis I seem to save it most of the time as a quick flick of the thumb sticks it on full lock - However with the wheel by the time I've turned it far enough it's too late.
Am I the only one who's struggling here? What am I doing wrong?

I have been using the pad since day one, and now I am facing a hard choice. I found that in the PRO races with cars over 500PP I am struggling to keep the car together. For off line play I do not find this a big problem even with the Pro-physics and no driver aids I can win the races and not feel like I've worked too hard. Online is a different story, I find it hard to be competitive and even worse I feel that at times I cause havoc on the race track and have caused some accidents (I know some members got tangled up in a few of my crashes so SORRY) accurate brake and throttle control seems to be what I lack the most. I have sine kept away from the 500 + PP races online. I am shopping around for a good wheel but having tried one at a friends house I am realizing that it is going to be a difficult switch, after years of using the pad it's going to be like learning to drive all over again. I can't say that I'm looking forward to learning the game all over again.

I have been using the pad since day one, and now I am facing a hard choice. I found that in the PRO races with cars over 500PP I am struggling to keep the car together. For off line play I do not find this a big problem even with the Pro-physics and no driver aids I can win the races and not feel like I've worked too hard. Online is a different story, I find it hard to be competitive and even worse I feel that at times I cause havoc on the race track and have caused some accidents (I know some members got tangled up in a few of my crashes so SORRY) accurate brake and throttle control seems to be what I lack the most. I have sine kept away from the 500 + PP races online. I am shopping around for a good wheel but having tried one at a friends house I am realizing that it is going to be a difficult switch, after years of using the pad it's going to be like learning to drive all over again. I can't say that I'm looking forward to learning the game all over again.

Before I got my G25 I was in the same boat as you - I'd had a little go on friends wheels and found it very hard. Trust me - it doesn't take long to pick up. I've been using mine almost every day for about 2 weeks now and I just tried the sixaxis again for an experiment - I couldn't keep the car on the track. The level of control a wheel gives you, not just over turning but brake and throttle too, is incredible.

Before I got my G25 I was in the same boat as you - I'd had a little go on friends wheels and found it very hard. Trust me - it doesn't take long to pick up. I've been using mine almost every day for about 2 weeks now and I just tried the sixaxis again for an experiment - I couldn't keep the car on the track. The level of control a wheel gives you, not just over turning but brake and throttle too, is incredible.

I hope you are right. I will most likely get the G25 as well so I really hope you are right as I hope its going to be money well wasted not just money wasted.

I consider it the best 150 quid I've ever spent. I've been a fan of the series since GT1 and the G25 has taken my driving to a whole new level.

There is that initial learning curve where it just feels horrible and you spin out all over the place - advise starting in a pants little low powered front wheel drive car - but after a couple of hours you'll be wondering how you ever played without it.

I play with a G25 now, but I've moved up slowly. Started with the sticks, moved up to a Mad Catz on Road & Track's Need for Speed on PS1, back to the sticks for GT, then got a DFP for GT4, then moved up to a G25. Currently I'm pimpin' the G25 aqnd a cockpit and I can assure anyone who's considering the switch - "It's ****ing worth every penny!" Sure there's the learning curve that everyone talks about but you WILL be faster.

Oh, and just for fun, I threw GT1 into the PS3 and raced a friend the other day - going back to the controller is such a pain...

Back