How much can you bench press?

• Thread starter Concept
  • 612 comments
I sent a nice friendly PM to largeharley asking him to please refrain from further PM's about his 545x2 experience and the "bench shirt". Lets try to keep this thread on topic. There will be no lynchings while I'm on shift. :) So just hit the weights and work off some of those endorphines....

I got those PMs too. I do not know what those umbers mean. can he bench 500+ 2 times with some kind of weight lifters shirt? does he weigh 192 lbs? can 192 lb guys can bench 500+ lbs?

the heaviest weight i have set up is 80 lbs. I can probably do 5 before needing a 20 or so sec. rest. i'm wimpy. i don't have a weight bench. i have to do it on the rug.

yea i started benching when i was a freshman for football season.
and yea he said he can bench 545 2 times, which is bs i think, anyways WTF is a bench shirt?

Lets talk about gear. - Ok

What do you wear? - Injury (?) vest is on, it's the best gear known to man.

What do you think about the two-ply? - Well I think the two-ply is awesome. Two-ply what? Two-ply shirt, two-ply polyester, that's the shirt I wear.

Have you tried denim? - No I haven't tried denim?

Why? - Why? Because I'm sticking to what works with me. I mean, I believe the two-ply denim has been great, uh, I haven't fell with it. Matter of fact, you know, once I've gotten my lift, I'm good to go.

Your good to go, ok. How much does the shirt add for you? No bull****. - 75-maybe 100 lbs, maybe. I don't know, I'm thinking, maybe not even that much, maybe.

Ok so lets say you're doing 800 and it gives you a 100 lbs, so that's about what, 12-13%. - Ok, well, ok not that much. I say 50-60 lbs. solid pounds.

What's the most you ever done without a shirt? - Uh, 710.

Ok. Well have you tried the hardcore? - Oh yeah, the hardcore, awesome suit, awesome. It feels like it's loose but it's really tight.

Originally posted by Concept
Pako, do you know why the shirt does that?

I'm only guessing here, but it said that it offers support for your triceps, biceps, and chest. The only think I can figure is that your not wasting energy to keep the bar/weight stablized, so all your energy is being used to push up the weight. It's like benching on a bench "machine" where balancing the weight isn't necessary.

All this, of couse, is a theory on my part. I did ask largeharley about the shirt, but he hasn't responded.

hey, i forgot to say this....

(i was on vacation for a couple weeks so i havent posted back)

if any of you know who scot mendelson is....he is my PE coach's son. www.scotmendelson.com <---the strongest bench presser in all history.

Originally posted by suprajef
Hey I just got 265lbs for a max on bench yesterday! i went up about 15lbs in 2 weeks!

That's awesome man! I haven't maxed out my single rep yet, but yesterday I did 3x10 with 185lbs., then 1x6 with 225. According to the numbers, I should also be around that 265-275 range.

:cheers:

The subdivision where I live has a workout area. I need to start heading down to it. I have not worked out in a few months. Just free weight lifting.

Pako, you know any good workouts for the chest?

Originally posted by Concept
The subdivision where I live has a workout area. I need to start heading down to it. I have not worked out in a few months. Just free weight lifting.

Pako, you know any good workouts for the chest?

As a matter of fact, yes:

http://www.blueonion.net/bench-program.htm

Also, I suppliment this workout with M-W-F 3x10 Flat Bench Flys, as well as 3x12 Incline, decline, and military bench/press one day a week.

:lol: Hey, gotta promote the band when I can ya know... :D, sounds good, always looking for different routines.

That's awesome man! I haven't maxed out my single rep yet, but yesterday I did 3x10 with 185lbs., then 1x6 with 225. According to the numbers, I should also be around that 265-275 range.

thanks

when i did it i did 5 reps of 205, 5 reps of 225, then i did 250 once, and it felt easy so i tried 265 and got it, then 270 and failed:odd: oh well im still proud

and good luck

Originally posted by suprajef
when i did it i did 5 reps of 205, 5 reps of 225, then i did 250 once, and it felt easy so i tried 265 and got it, then 270 and failed:odd: oh well im still proud

and good luck

So how's it coming? Today was the first day I tried to push heavy. I started with my program 185x6, 240x3, 240x2, 245x1, then I put on 275 and did that 3 times. I finally put on 295 and I couldn't quite get it up. With that, I think being fresh I should be around 300lbs or so...

Anyhow, just wanted to update. :)

Today, I bench raw without the shirt. My max was 425 lbs raw. I did 225x10, 275x5, 315x5, 405x3 which means my max is now around 440 lbs. raw. I will have to bench with my shirt to see my contest max which should be close to 600 lbs. I have been working on my lock-out so I think I can get 600. Don't know but I am happy with 405x3.

Originally posted by largeharley
Today, I bench raw without the shirt. My max was 425 lbs raw. I did 225x10, 275x5, 315x5, 405x3 which means my max is now around 440 lbs. raw. I will have to bench with my shirt to see my contest max which should be close to 600 lbs. I have been working on my lock-out so I think I can get 600. Don't know but I am happy with 405x3.

You should have someone take some pics, it's be awesome to see that much weight being pushed up by a 192lb, 15 year old.

Back