Hyundai HCD-15 Santa Cruz Pickup | Confirmed for Production

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 89 comments

CodeRedR51

Premium
United States
United States
Alright Hyundai, you've got my attention....

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/01/12/hyundai-hcd15-santa-cruz-detroit-2015/#image-4

001-hyundai-santa-cruz-concept-live-1.jpg

007-hyundai-santa-cruz-concept-live-1.jpg

Interesting. I like it. Guess you'd call it a ute. I'd like to see this thing make it to production, especially if it has a diesel 4 like that. Not sure how well it'd sell, but it's certainly interesting.

I have a hard time getting excited over a unibody truck. I know the Ridgeline isn't bad and proves trucks that are unibody aren't awful, but I still can't get all whooped up about it. Although something like this would sell to people who think they need a truck for whatever reason but don't want the uncomfortable ride that a body on frame design has.

According to the press release it is for dirty,sweaty people that are reluctant to do laundry.:lol:

"Whatever the day's activity might bring -- all that dirty, sweaty, wet, sandy, bulky gear remains in the back of the truck, cleanly separated from the passenger compartment.

During the work week, gear for that early morning hike or after-work hockey game stays securely locked in the back, under an integrated, rigid tonneau cover that conveniently retracts when not needed. It not only keeps items safe and out of sight, it also keeps the interior clean and fresh. Santa Cruz is the perfect vehicle for those that want the attributes of a CUV, but still have dirty stuff that belongs "in the back."

Well, if they're gunning for Chevrolet Avalanche/Honda Ridgeline buyers, this is the right way to go about it. Cheap, fun, more space to carry your junk. But, I'm not sure if it will sway the crossover buyers en masse, but, it is certainly more appealing for male buyers. It might find a good niche like the Kia Soul did.

Truck may see production.

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/05/20/hyundai-santa-cruz-production/

"There is a very high probability we get the approval of the truck soon," Hyundai Motor America CEO Dave Zuchowski said to the TheDetroitBureau.com. Customer surveys have shown the possible pickup to be quite popular around the country, except among Texans, according to Zuchowski. However, the final sign-off still needs to come from corporate headquarters in South Korea.

Its a competitive segment outside North America, and even here in the US, people are already complaining that the Colorado is too big. Based on what I saw in Detroit, its as close as we'd get to a spiritual Ranger/S-10 successor, and that's A-OK with me. I'd imagine a lot of the running gear would be carried over from the Santa Fe that it presumably shares its platform with. Hopefully that includes the wide swath of engine choices.

One advantage it has over the Ridgeline... it's actually pretty.

Could be the pick-up counterpart to the Explorer... a product that simply transforms its market segment... who knows?

Seems like a very logical choice that could pay off. With a smaller size and better fuel economy than the Ridgeline, they could cut a nice spot out of the market for themselves. A Tuscon-sized pickup seems just right for urban folks and those pesky millennials looking for something with a bit more capability without sacrificing a lot of fuel economy.

All of which makes me wonder if it'll force Fiat to bring over the Ram 700 (or it's newer Fiat sibling) in order to do battle with the Hyundai.

All of which makes me wonder if it'll force Fiat to bring over the Ram 700 (or it's newer Fiat sibling) in order to do battle with the Hyundai.

Wouldn't be surprised. I'm thinking that the truck market in North America is really going to go down two roads now that the small truck is coming back: you either get your big trucks, the F-150, Ram, Silverado etc, and then you get the smaller ones like the Ranger that should be coming over in 2019, and now the Colorado and the Canyon. And then as an offshoot of that, the Santa Cruz and the supposed Ram 700.

The Koreans are quite good at naming cars for the US market. Santa Cruz gives me good vibes....gets me thinking about beach, boardwalk, single track, surfing....so much better than faceless acronyms.

:eek:

I love that thing, concept, whatever. I have never been a truck fan but this thing looks just right. It should be possible to lower it significantly and vice versa. This thing looks sporty and I like my cars to be sporty.

Santa Cruz's design has changed
Time has passed and the design strategy at Hyundai has changed. As the brand has matured, there is no longer the need to give every product in the lineup the same look. No more Russian dolls, says SangYup Lee, head of the Hyundai Global Design Center in Namyang, Korea. He wants new vehicles to be striking and different, forcing customers to take a closer second look at which point they discover it is a Hyundai.

It means that the Santa Cruz, a concept penned five years ago, was designed under the old family-resemblance regime. The design had to be updated, while keeping the basic look that made it popular.

The new Santa Cruz "will be a lot more distinctive" and have "a lot more character," said Lee in an interview with MotorTrend. It is still a crossover pickup "but the look of it is a lot more progressive." The new look has been finalized and locked in.
Motor Trend

Way off topic, but that front end design, I could see Hyundai making an iDX type coupe, a reality. Everything they're making, is good.

I doooon't think this is what we expected.:lol::sly:
https://www.motoring.com.au/spy-pics-hyundai-pick-up-surfaces-119567/
spypics-hyundai-pickup-3664_n.jpg

spypics-hyundai-pickup-6112_n.jpg

spypics-hyundai-pickup-1744_n.jpg

We reached out to HMCA to ask if this is indeed our first look at Hyundai’s long-awaited HiLux fighter, or at least a very early engineering mule in the early stages of its development, or something else.

Thankfully, the answer is it’s almost certainly an aftermarket iLoad conversion commissioned by a Korean pick-up fan, who no doubt grew tired of waiting for Hyundai to make one.

So rest easy and keep holding tight: spy shots of the real deal are bound to surface soon.

Back