Hyundai HCD-15 Santa Cruz Pickup | Confirmed for Production

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 89 comments
I doooon't think this is what we expected.:lol::sly:
https://www.motoring.com.au/spy-pics-hyundai-pick-up-surfaces-119567/
spypics-hyundai-pickup-3664_n.jpg

spypics-hyundai-pickup-6112_n.jpg

spypics-hyundai-pickup-1744_n.jpg

We reached out to HMCA to ask if this is indeed our first look at Hyundai’s long-awaited HiLux fighter, or at least a very early engineering mule in the early stages of its development, or something else.

Thankfully, the answer is it’s almost certainly an aftermarket iLoad conversion commissioned by a Korean pick-up fan, who no doubt grew tired of waiting for Hyundai to make one.

So rest easy and keep holding tight: spy shots of the real deal are bound to surface soon.
F150s better watch out! That thing I’ll annihilate truck sales if it’s brought to the states.

F150s better watch out! That thing I’ll annihilate truck sales if it’s brought to the states.
That's not the first time Hyundai has made a cut-off version of its venerable van made mostly for the ASEAN market. And if I'm not mistaken, that rendition of that van has been present for like a decade already.

Looks decent but that side view very much reminds me of the one from the current generation Chevy Colorado.
That's because whoever made that render literally took a Colorado and plastered some Hyundai badges on it. :lol:

That's because whoever made that render literally took a Colorado and plastered some Hyundai badges on it. :lol:
Yeah, I know right. It's only now I have took notice of it. :lol:

And then the front end was made to resemble the Santa Fe or Palisade. Maybe Hyundai will unveil the actual one next year.

This is interesting that it's a crossover. Is it more like the Ridgeline or like the Subaru Baja and Holden crewman?
7d533c9c764d0c1d58f1cd97a7f64efe.jpg

11274-a6opt.jpg

Short-bed crew cab?

w5ZfFrE.gif

Honestly was expecting it. Waiting for the bravery of a blacked-out trim being available within a year of launch.

One thing for sure; Hyundai might not release this new kid on the block truck with a single cab option.

I don't see the point of it, its basically a crossover sedan.

Those are very popular right now. And this one has a bed!

I know that it won't happen...but this kind of vehicle could be appealing to me if they gave it a kind of performance-rally version with a good engine and a manual gearbox.

Might not be a tough sell to the masses. However, it's not a Falcon or Commodore ute, but it's a Santa Fe with the back off. Mazda, Toyota and Honda don't have one here. I'd call it an alternative to the SUVs.
People are using those to go shopping.

Consumers here, know what to get for off-roading, hauling, etc. This appeals to someone who wants that long warranty, high hip entry and a car to use to carry things, in something other than their Veloster.

I feel like this vehicle is actually a pretty good fit for me. It might be the first good looking (sorry Honda, Subaru) not-a-Pickup anybody has yet created. If it handles well, I can throw my bike in it (or a shop vac or a concrete grinder, or a couple half sheets of plywood) then that sounds pretty cool to me. Make it a hybrid without compromising utility and I'm sold.

If this thing is based on the Tucson then it'll be about the same size as the Maverick. Hmmm.

I think this is an awesome car for outdoorsy people. It's probably not a viable alternative to something like an F150...but more of a different approach/alternative to a Subaru Outback. (It's almost the same footprint as an outback and somehow...not taller). Like how awesome would this be for somebody who just wants to cart their mountain bike to the trailhead on the weekends and not worry about fussing with a rack or dirtying up their interior while also having a car that handles reasonably well, is comfortable, and gets good* gas mileage. Towing 5,000lbs with a DCT sounds sketchy though.

Last edited:
Back