If GT5 does incorporate a livery editor...

• Thread starter EJRocky
  • 1,552 comments
R31 Skyline JGTC car
DSCF0813.jpg

Livery editor is a must, after intially getting to grips with the forza 2 editor i simply cannot imagine going back to stock paint jobs, for me they arnt congruent with a car that been setup/upgraded for track use.

At first you start of with something basic, a few custom decals but mostly your experimenting with where to position everything, aswell as familierizing yourself with the editor.
36bee7273ac34c558fc7670.jpg

After a bit of practise you move on to race replicas, these are more demanding, but take it from me im not artistically gifted at all, but i learned how to create templates as well as getting the most out of the editor.

mc12baby.jpg

to me i cant see why PD shouldnt give people the opportunity to create their own race liveries or create race rep's, given how populare the feature has proven itself of on forza motorsports.

i think they was a similar feature back on gt2 where you turn a road into a race

No thats differant, those were race body kits with liveries that couldnt be edited by the player (other than a choice of 2 colours), PD stopped doing the Race body kits upgrade which is unfortunate.

but GT has never had a livery editor, today on pc sims you can edit the cars livery like in GTR2 with photoshop, where as Forza has an in game livery editor feature.

I guess PD is kinda dragging its heels on this issue, eventually its going to be in the game, question is will it be soon or later ?

No thats differant, those were race body kits with liveries that couldnt be edited by the player (other than a choice of 2 colours), PD stopped doing the Race body kits upgrade which is unfortunate.

but GT has never had a livery editor, today on pc sims you can edit the cars livery like in GTR2 with photoshop, where as Forza has an in game livery editor feature.

I guess PD is kinda dragging its heels on this issue, eventually its going to be in the game, question is will it be soon or later ?

i hope let pray for it lol

The problem is (and I play FM2 as well as GT5p), is you need a lot of time/patience and a smattering of skill to get stuff to look good, and not all of us have these qualities ;)

FM2 IMO only pulled it off because they had all the 'mechanisms' in place to allow getting these liveries distributed (via the Auction house), PD should (correctly) only do it if they can satisfy the two main things
1. Be able to produce high quality liveries with a reasonably good method of doing it
2. Be able to share these meaningfully, so we can get good designs from more talented people..

That is an amazing R34... I hope that's in the game :drool:

Livery editor is a must, after intially getting to grips with the forza 2 editor i simply cannot imagine going back to stock paint jobs, for me they arnt congruent with a car that been setup/upgraded for track use.

At first you start of with something basic, a few custom decals but mostly your experimenting with where to position everything, aswell as familierizing yourself with the editor.
36bee7273ac34c558fc7670.jpg

After a bit of practise you move on to race replicas, these are more demanding, but take it from me im not artistically gifted at all, but i learned how to create templates as well as getting the most out of the editor.

mc12baby.jpg

to me i cant see why PD shouldnt give people the opportunity to create their own race liveries or create race rep's, given how populare the feature has proven itself of on forza motorsports.

Yep. Forza does indeed have an amazing livery editor.

I once made a Van Halen styled Mini Cooper :sly:

Give me the same kind of modifications GT had with GT1 and GT2 and iam fine! I just want to build my own touringcar and thats it, i dont need anything like these Fast and The Furious or NFS vinyls.

I would like to repaint the Calsonic Group A GTR (R32) into this even faster Australian Winfield GTR.

1236037567richardsskyline1kv6%5B1%5D.jpg

The best of livery editor is that you can "customize" your car being unique and in online play is more easy to identify other drivers.

But in my opinion the livery editor should applies only to race cars!

:D

But in my opinion the livery editor should applies only to race cars!

:D
Define a race car? A car that is racing is technically a race car, but in GT you also take stock road cars and modify them. There is no definition to what extent a car has to be modified to be a race car and there are many real life race cars that use practically stock vehicles, sometimes wit the only modifications being a roll cage and safety equiptment.

Needless to say I dissagree with this point of yours, I see no reason to place any restictions in this area.

Define a race car? A car that is racing is technically a race car, but in GT you also take stock road cars and modify them. There is no definition to what extent a car has to be modified to be a race car and there are many real life race cars that use practically stock vehicles, sometimes wit the only modifications being a roll cage and safety equiptment.

Needless to say I dissagree with this point of yours, I see no reason to place any restictions in this area.

Ok that your opinion, but when I refer race cars I mean Nascar, JGTC, WRC . . . "Official racing cars".

MG+EX257+2002.jpg

rgs-0401-151.jpg

rgs-0401-149.jpg

i know the company is dead, but those cars represent a few years of fun and excitement too me.

its also a pretty distinctive scheme and hopefully wouldnt be too tricky to reproduce.

the 257 racing was the last time i watched lemans.

Yes please! The best livery ever made! 👍

I'm wondering about the possibility of a textural template for each car. Is that possible? That way we can create a single-layer graphic and import it into GT5 from the PS3 hard-disk. Yesno?

Last edited:
It could be possible but i doubt it.
It works in NASCAR '09 afaik, but i think GT5s engine cant do that.

Would be awesome though, Photoshop makes creating custom liveries a lot easier.

Ok that your opinion, but when I refer race cars I mean Nascar, JGTC, WRC . . . "Official racing cars".
385781071_b8cfa298d3.jpg

So this car shouldn't be allowed to be painted then even if all it's competitors could be? Or am I missunderstanding you.

For the record, this car raced in the BTCC but it was not a factory car it was a car built by Halfords. Matt Neil who raced this car has raced plenty of privateer teams in the BTCC over the years. I just don't see what the problem is with not being able to paint all cars, a car racing is a race car. There is no such thing as an official race car, there's a racing organisation and race regulations and I suppose if a car falls within certain regulations and is entered into a competition it becomes official to that competition, but there is no universal definition beyond thoes defined on an individual level.

I get what you're saying but I don't understand why your saying it. A race car is a race car. Race cars have sponsors and funky paint jobs. It doesn't matter if it's a road car modified into a race car like most touring and GT cars or if it's a race car based on a road cars design or a purpose built race car either a silhouette or protoype. They are all race cars and I see no reason to restrict someone by saying you can paint that car, but you can't paint that one, both are the same spec but you tuned that one yourself, so we say no.

Last edited:
you must admit the Gallardo by Polizia di Stato is simply astonishing

polizia_by_lamborghini_yatzer_9.jpg

lamborghini_gallardo_lp560_4_polizia_images_001.jpg

proud to be italian

Last edited:
385781071_b8cfa298d3.jpg

So this car shouldn't be allowed to be painted then even if all it's competitors could be? Or am I missunderstanding you.

For the record, this car raced in the BTCC but it was not a factory car it was a car built by Halfords. Matt Neil who raced this car has raced plenty of privateer teams in the BTCC over the years. I just don't see what the problem is with not being able to paint all cars, a car racing is a race car. There is no such thing as an official race car, there's a racing organisation and race regulations and I suppose if a car falls within certain regulations and is entered into a competition it becomes official to that competition, but there is no universal definition beyond thoes defined on an individual level.

I get what you're saying but I don't understand why your saying it. A race car is a race car. Race cars have sponsors and funky paint jobs. It doesn't matter if it's a road car modified into a race car like most touring and GT cars or if it's a race car based on a road cars design or a purpose built race car either a silhouette or protoype. They are all race cars and I see no reason to restrict someone by saying you can pain that car, but you can't pain that one, both are the same spec but you tuned that one yourself, so we say no.

Agree + 1 Googol

By the way, Just imagine this, PD Develops the best Livery Editor ever, better than anything you have seen, and its only Limited to "Official Race Cars" :guilty:

Back