If GT5 does incorporate a livery editor...

• Thread starter EJRocky
  • 1,552 comments
Be it the black & white MK II GT40, a green and yellow DBR9 or a Red Bull racing-anything, a livery editor could help us recreate these famous schemes, adding a lot more interest into the game. The livery editor itself has the potential to make players maybe even focus more on vehicle ownership than actually driving. (this may actually be a problem though :()

👍

Just realized something. This would be BRILLIANT for the Formula GT.

I'd probably convert the GT350R in the black with Gold stripes for the '66 Hertz version. Would like more Gulf liveries on classic cars and some Trans Am livery for the Trans-Cammer

Word, PD are being left behind quite horribly in the development and progression scene, even EA are producing better features :(.

That's what makes us GT fans really angry. PD have potential, they have a good game, but miss those features that could make it a lot better.

IF they put in an editor of some sort, they should model a blank NASCAR template car, you know, like that other game. ;) They should also model a blank FGT also.

I'm not sure if you could change the base colour on its own, unless we're talking about the use of vinyls on top of a paint finish.

I've never used photoshop, so I have no clue what you mean but what I do know is that an editor could also make for creativity in driving. For example people could create police cars and then host cops & robbers games. Racers could professional numbers to their cars, tuners can truly stamp their identity on their cars. Surely PD are working on a system :(.

pixlr is similar enough to photoshop (I use pixlr). And what he means by "layer" is like a invisible protective layer on top of the original drawing / picture. You can merge them together into one picture or if you are unhappy with "Layer X" then you can delete it and you are back to the Background (original photo).

Then we'll be seeing a lot of immature racers with phallic symbols on their cars.
But seriously, I would love having a livery editor in GT5. It'll allow the users to not only spread their creativity but also make the cars of users truly their own.

My honest opinion is that we won't see one. It's GT5, and there's still no sign of its development. However, we did see the words: "livery editor" in Kaz's TGS '06 presentation, but that's all I've witnessed.

What strikes me funny is that he awards such unique cars at SEMA, but why doesn't he want to translate that into Gran Turismo? It's one thing to buy a car in the dealership. But it's another to buy it, stylize it, customize it, and make it your very own. That's ownership. That feeling is absent in GT titles.

Then we'll be seeing a lot of immature racers with phallic symbols on their cars.
But seriously, I would love having a livery editor in GT5. It'll allow the users to not only spread their creativity but also make the cars of users truly their own.

Especially for drift, rally, drag, and endurance series. Even NASCAR for that matter. It'll be like we're racing art on wheels.

This has been said, and there is nothing us mature racers can do about it. They might need a group to regulate it, so well see. Let's hope for the best.

But then it'll probably start with who has the biggest, which'll eventually just result in seeing a lot of pink(ish) cars with some barely distinguishable scribblings on the front and rear, hardly worrying.

But then it'll probably start with who has the biggest, which'll eventually just result in seeing a lot of pink(ish) cars with some barely distinguishable scribblings on the front and rear, hardly worrying.

Lol, if some guys want to run around with a knob on there car let them go for it. I am sure that serious racers will spend the time to make their car look the goods for their league racing anyway.

Even a "GRID" type setup with a few improvements would be good enough for me.

I opened a lobby for the first time last night in probably 6 months, and had 7 of my regular league guys join anyway, with about 10 unknowns join only to leave when they didnt like the regs........they're the guys that will have the knobs on their car !!!

I really think that we need the editor. Looking at Iracing yesterday, some of our guys race in both and their liveries look awesome that they have taken the time to do. As someone said earlier, they own the livery so the game is a little more immersive .....

Cheers
Stu

I can tell you, after six months of playing FM4, both trawling through the Storefront for designs, and viewing them in random matchmaker-based online races, the immature ones are a very small minority. Are there ones I found unappealing? Sure! But I'm absolutely positive there are people who haven't liked mine much either (typically, a GT-influenced one, ironically). It's a matter of taste... something that already exists in GT5 anyways, just to a much smaller degree, since we can only change the car and wheel colours. But that already allows for some pretty... unique combinations.

One of the other great things about a livery editor is that there's nothing saying it has to be an entire car. Something as easy as just adding a regional license plate really ups the immersion factor - it's "your" plate, it's "your" car.

Policing it shouldn't be too much of an issue; again, like LBP or MNR, having a "Good Grief" report option should be all that's needed.

One of the other great things about a livery editor is that there's nothing saying it has to be an entire car. Something as easy as just adding a regional license plate really ups the immersion factor - it's "your" plate, it's "your" car.

Some nice looking liveries there Slip 👍, and yes there are lots of possibilities offered by such a feature.
I'm wondering if you can 'personalize' a car by making it deliberately scruffy, one panel in another colour, rustspots and bits of primer would be something that's strangely tempting. :lol:

analog
Some nice looking liveries there Slip 👍, and yes there are lots of possibilities offered by such a feature.
I'm wondering if you can 'personalize' a car by making it deliberately scruffy, one panel in another colour, rustspots and bits of primer would be something that's strangely tempting. :lol:

Yes rust buckets can be created if that's your fancy.
I actually made one in F3 that looked like a patch work quilt with stitches between panels. A bit Little big planet. Didn't drive it much though.

Yes rust buckets can be created if that's your fancy.
I actually made one in F3 that looked like a patch work quilt with stitches between panels. A bit Little big planet. Didn't drive it much though.
I made a Fanta Supra in FM3 :crazy: . I'll try and get you guys a pic when I get home.

here a good one Analog.

Forza28.png

here a good one Analog.

Thanks, that sure looks quite convincing, and just to make clear, it's not that I would make all my cars like that, just a few dodgy looking ones would suffice. :lol:
And it more importantly shows another possibility of what can be done with a livery editor.

Thanks, that sure looks quite convincing, and just to make clear, it's not that I would make all my cars like that, just a few dodgy looking ones would suffice. :lol:
And it more importantly shows another possibility of what can be done with a livery editor.

It is indeed a powerful tool and its uses are so widespread I don't personally understand why it would not be wanted, the ability to make a car your own for online racing is so useful and to also be able to recreate classic liveries just adds another dimension to things.

A couple of my recent ones:

and a recreation of the Grp 4 Daytona that Nick Mason now owns and features in his 'Into the red' book (always loved this livery)

Scaff

Last edited:
They have photo competitions for crying out loud, they could have design competitions. I bet that would be quite popular. Maybe even incorporated in GT Academy somehow.

I think it's all about time management and prioritys.

Cars and tracks being of an equal standard would prioritise over everything else for me.

Leaderboards would come next in the list for me.

Damage modelling on all cars and a beleivable system should be made.

Then an editor should be added when the other areas are up to scratch.

Just my opinion of the prioritys needed. I'm sure others would see my prioritys in a different sequence.

I want to make my mustang look like this... I'll even wear ray ban aviators while playing the game...
motorcycle-vs-police-car-drift-battle-460x282.jpg

and if you fancy seeing it in action...

Talking about BTCC here's some I made earlier, cant remember which game though sorry.

Want a 2012 livery but cant be arsed waiting for DLC? here have Matt Neal's one.
7024886479_9b06959294_z.jpg

Fancy a more retro style? how about Steve Sopers classic BMW E30
7009280615_65876c8320_z.jpg

Clio cup?
6887480236_b15f8d4425_z.jpg

WTCC?
6883515510_e881f80ced_z.jpg

Classic rally?
7009280037_d6598f5baf_z.jpg

Modern rally?
6865505508_59faf14082_z.jpg

Or just plain "I want to put JPS back on a Lotus because I can" sort of vibe.
7027757135_cc9ac33c5a_z.jpg

Yep, I think it's safe to say I would like that option in GT.

Back