IGN interview with KY

What if when he means "20 locations" he means countries. And by "70 different courses" he means 70 tracks and various of tracks in 20 different countries?

Thats the way I am reading it. 20 tracks with 70 version of those makes no sense.

Yeah, it's the same I mentioned earlier in the thread. He talked about 20 locations, with 70 courses within those locations... but we still don't have concrete info on this. They should've asked him about this directly as so many fans are confused over this.

What if when he means "20 locations" he means countries. And by "70 different courses" he means 70 tracks and various of tracks in 20 different countries?

Thats the way I am reading it. 20 tracks with 70 version of those makes no sense.

But common! the interveiwer asked "so, 70 locations?" Who talks like that? noone. I doubt that that was even his question. More likely questions were vetted by someone first. That would explain why none of the reader Questions got asked as well.

b

Yeah, it's the same I mentioned earlier in the thread. He talked about 20 locations, with 70 courses within those locations... but we still don't have concrete info on this. They should've asked him about this directly as so many fans are confused over this.

I don't know if he is saying it like that or the translation is being converted into locations instead of countries.

He could be doing it on purpose to throw us off. At this point there is no need to play games. Just tell us what to expect so we can't be disappoint any further.

Locations = Countries
Courses= Tracks and different version of tracks.

With Nascar there are 22+ tracks (more with Nationwide and Truck series)

But common! the interveiwer asked "so, 70 locations?" Who talks like that? noone. I doubt that that was even his question. More likely questions were vetted by someone first. That would explain why none of the reader Questions got asked as well.

b

We had heard the 20 - 70 various for sometime now. It was dubbed though. Bad translation of "locations"?

WRC Tracks 2009 - http://www.wrc.com/jsp/index.jsp?lnk=400&season=2009
Nascar Tracks 2009 - http://www.nascar.com/races/tracks/

Thats about 35ish tracks if you count all Nascar tracks.

That leaves the other places like Japan, European tracks, the variations of other tracks i.e. Daytona Road or Fuji GT or Suzuka East/West....We got 70 tracks easy..

Last edited:
...I also love how PD has only been working on damage for 2 months.

What have they been doing the other 60 months since GT4's release?

PD bassically underestimated the competition, did not listen to the fans and thought they could get away with the old tired GT formula. It turns out that being this ignorant is not good for business. Who'd have thank?:lol:

Seriously though guys, think about it, they're listening now aren't they? Keep complaining if you're not happy, make sure your voice is being heard and vote with your wallets if the way PD does business is unsatisfactory. Then we'll get the GT5 or GT6 we deserve after waiting for 5 years plus. Just look what's happening now. After E3 and seing how long FM3 has come, 2 months ago, PD decided to add damage and rollover.;) Look at TGS and PD realizing their mockery of damage, rollover and collision simulation engine wasn't going to fly with the fans, critics and the public. They're going to work bloody hard to make sure those things are improved.

If we want full damage on all cars, tyre marks, livery editor and drag racing then say it, shout about it and make sure your voice is being heard. Ignore these fanboys and thank your lucky stars for competiton from T10. Otherwise PD would not have even bothered to try to simulate realistic damage, rollover and collisions in GT5 at all.

Last edited:
I don't know if he is saying it like that or the translation is being converted into locations instead of countries.

He could be doing it on purpose to throw us off. At this point there is no need to play games. Just tell us what to expect so we can't be disappoint any further.

Locations = Countries
Courses= Tracks and different version of tracks.

With Nascar there are 22+ tracks (more with Nationwide and Truck series)

We had heard the 20 - 70 various for sometime now. It was dubbed though. Bad translation of "locations"?

No, the english speaking interveiwer asked about locations. why not ask about tracks?
if i was gonna ask about buying your property, i'd ask how many sq ft is the house, not how many boards is it

b

I never once said I was owed anything, I will pay the money for the damn game, if its ever released. I won't be playing video games forever, and im certainly not getting any younger.

4 yrs to come up out with this game, which I am sure will eventually be delayed for people in the US...its just a matter of time before its announced. When Kaz said "it will be released SOON after GT PSP", he knew damn well 6 months isnt soon after. Atleast not to anyone I know. Is it to you?

I am glad you agree with me. I dont think its an outrage, but good Lord, quit waffling and flip flopping on the features of this game. No wonder so many people get pissed off at Kaz and PD. I am sure they have pushed many people over to FM3 and Xbox.
I was actually being sarcastic about your warrant-less meltdown, since you bought GTs with your money and there's no reason for you to get irrationally irritated because different sites have diff translations of another language.

Well, nowadays I'm very sceptic with everything what relates to Gran Turismo 5 and I'm ready to get only more disappointments when it someday arrives to the store... so here is how I see those announcements:

20 Locations=20 Tracks

20 Tracks with reverse versions=40 Tracks

10 Tracks has different layouts like example Suzuka, Fuji, Daytona, Grand Valley, etc etc... that makes 20 'more' Tracks when you count also reverse versions.

There we already have 40+20 Tracks=60 Tracks.

5 WRC-courses, and reverse versions=10 Tracks.

There you have 70 Tracks.

ps. If PD would have 70 different tracks in their pocket, they would not talk about 20 Locations, and 70 Tracks... ofcourse they would talk about 20 Locations, and nearly 200 Tracks. (70 Tracks + reverse versions + different layouts, etc etc... that's marketing. Sorry.)

No, the english speaking interveiwer asked about locations. why not ask about tracks?
if i was gonna ask about buying your property, i'd ask how many sq ft is the house, not how many boards is it

b

Point taken sir. But we didn't do the interview. We will forever be baffled! :dunce:

I was actually being sarcastic about your warrant-less meltdown, since you bought GTs with your money and there's no reason for you to get irrationally irritated because different sites have diff translations of another language.

as was I. Just venting my frustration for the Kaz being so cocky thinking his **** doesn't stink. Its the same **** everytime PD is working on a new GT game. It will have this, it wont have this. It will be released here, oh wait, nevermind it will be here. Kinda frustrating wouldn't you agree?

Well, nowadays I'm very sceptic with everything what relates to Gran Turismo 5 and I'm ready to get only more disappointments when it someday arrives to the store... so here is how I see those announcements:

20 Locations=20 Tracks

10 Tracks has different layouts like example Suzuka, Fuji, Daytona, Grand Valley, etc etc... that makes 20 'more' Tracks when you count also reverse versions.

ps. If PD would have 70 different tracks in their pocket, they would not talk about 20 Locations, and 70 Tracks... ofcourse they would talk about 20 Locations, and nearly 200 Tracks. (70 Tracks + reverse versions + different layouts, etc etc... that's marketing. Sorry.)

That would be sad if that turns out to be true. But I am trying to look at it from another stand point. What if: Locations was countries.

20 tracks with 70 variations is a rip off in my eyes. If you had Nascar and WRC with 2 tracks that are native to that sport then what is the point in having that series in the game?

My next hope would be track packs for download.

That would be sad if that turns out to be true. But I am trying to look at it from another stand point. What if: Locations was countries.

20 tracks with 70 variations is a rip off in my eyes. If you had Nascar and WRC with 2 tracks that are native to that sport then what is the point in having that series in the game?

We can only hope... but cause I understand quite a lot about marketing, I just cant understand why would PD wanted to 'hide' how much they have tracks and different layouts to offer!?

Well, PD has zero-talent in PR and marketing anyway, so maybe this is just one silly thing more to add to their CV. 💡

We can only hope... but cause I understand quite a lot about marketing, I just cant understand why would PD wanted to 'hide' how much they have tracks and different layouts to offer!?

Well, PD has zero-talent in PR and marketing anyway, so maybe this is just one silly thing more to add to their CV. 💡

I wouldn't go as far as saying they have zero-talent, since they have such a large base of fans. But I do think they have issues with understanding other markets. When we hear something like, the game can be released at anytime. We expect it to be soon in our hands and playing it. But when Kaz says that maybe he means something else. After all he is from Japan, born and rise all his life. Japanese values and tradition are far different from American and European values and traditions.

I think a lot of this confusion and disappointment comes from the lack of understanding of one another. When Kaz is interviewed he speaks in Japanese. Part of the problem could lie within the translation of the interview. Or certain meaning of phrases in Japanese may not mean what we think.

In Japan time is viewed very different. When Kaz says something like, you will see GT5 soon after the GT5 PSP, we think, OMG Nov, DEC. Part of the problem is the speculation created by Amara. Perhaps he does have the inside info on PD, but things change. Amara created a false reality. Which why most of us are so disappointed by the news of the release date pushed back further. When in actuality we never had a real idea of the release date. Just assumptions created by exciting crypts.

Who knows! You know?

I wouldn't go as far as saying they have zero-talent, since they have such a large base of fans. But I do think they have issues with understanding other markets. When we hear something like, the game can be released at anytime. We expect it to be soon in our hands and playing it. But when Kaz says that maybe he means something else. After all he is from Japan, born and rise all his life. Japanese values and tradition are far different from American and European values and traditions.

I think a lot of this confusion and disappointment comes from the lack of understanding of one another. When Kaz is interviewed he speaks in Japanese. Part of the problem could lie within the translation of the interview. Or certain meaning of phrases in Japanese may not mean what we think.

In Japan time is viewed very different. When Kaz says something like, you will see GT5 soon after the GT5 PSP, we think, OMG Nov, DEC. Part of the problem is the speculation created by Amara. Perhaps he does have the inside info on PD, but things change. Amara created a false reality. Which why most of us are so disappointed by the news of the release date pushed back further. When in actuality we never had a real idea of the release date. Just assumptions created by exciting crypts.

Who knows! You know?

Heh... you do understand that when you described how Kaz propably accidentally have caused all this misunderstandings, cause he cant speak English and cant understand how we understand his statements... that's just what I meant when I said PD has zero-talents in PR. :)

Company like Sony/PD just cant let guy like Yamauchi to go all over the planet to throw odd comments about GT5 and things about it, and let people to be dissapointed when his comments turns out to be just lies or 'misunderstandings'.

My wife is so pissed everytime, when some 'big Boss' of company whose marketing She is doing, gives reviews to newspapers. So many Managers just cant see how words can be handled to sell more newspapers, not give good publicity to Company... then Marketing-Professionals tries desperatively fix what is still remaining. :lol:

20 Locations=20 Tracks

They don't do reverse versions of actual circuits. :dunce:

They don't do reverse versions of actual circuits. :dunce:

You might be right there, but it wont change things much. All real circuits have 2-3 layouts, so maybe they just have 10 Classic GT-Tracks and 10 Real-Life Tracks... summary about all variations is quite much same.

One thing is for sure. They dont have 70 different tracks, cause then they would use marketing phrases like 'almost 200-tracks'.

Damn, nobody's ever happy. All I see on here anymore is complaining, complaining, and more complaining. Just be happy with what you get.
Aye, and here you are complaining about people complaining. How ironic eh?

On topic, I think people have every right to be complaining. We get all kinds of promises of one sort or another, followed by constant let-downs. It's getting really old now, and these interviews where he is as vague as a vague thing - well, they might as well not bother. I already know two people who own both a 360 and PS3, who are selling their PS3 now because, "There is no point owning it"... Extreme? Maybe, but they have a point. They have Forza III, and while they may change their tune when GT5 does finally release, I think SONY and PD need to suck up and realise just how annoying this franchise has become in terms of its release. It's gone beyond a joke now.

How ironic eh?
Not really. Hypocritical, maybe.

Anyway, all this talk about PD's PR skills has highlighted the short-sightedness that is typical of the average poster in this thread (and others recently).

Surley, as PD's publisher, it is Sony's responsibility to manage all the PR and marketing?

For those that barely seem qualified to wipe their own arse, (let alone attempt to assert any kind of legitimacy in complaining about (undue) debts on PD's part) whatever time or money you have spent on this series is nothing in comparison to the time, effort and money put into this latest iteration! (To say nothing of the GT series as a whole!)

The game will get here when it gets here, so don't blame other people for your own inadequacy in managing your own expectations - maybe you should get a hobby for the meantime. I'm planning a long hibernation.

I'm a nice guy really, honestly :dopey:

But he does have a translator asking him questions & translating his answers back to English.

The journalists don't translate anything. They're just relaying what the translator says.

Not really. Hypocritical, maybe.
Aye, that as well...

Thing is though, it's not fair to blame others for not managing their own expectations. That's SONYs and PDs job to manage. If SONY and PD cannot get the right information out at the right time, what do you expect? If people get told to expect a "Major Advancement", why should people not expect that? If everything points to a 2009 release, and then we get told it's March 2010 at the earliest, you think it's OK for people to just shrug it off? Yes, it's just a game. Yes, there is more to life. That's besides the point. The fact that you are on here at all says you must be bothered to some degree...

Is it just me or does this thead reek of unhappy people under the impression that they had expectations set way too high based on what little info they get? Also love how people are pissed at not seeing a release date in 09 like they were "promised" yet haven't taken into account the possibility that they're had been a change of plans that they weren't entirely in charge of. All I have to say is this: Whats is complaining gonna do? Its not gonna make the game come out any faster, its not gonna make Sony listen to us (I don't even believe they are aware of this site's existance). I guess I'll remain one of the few people content with having a solid release at all (instead of repeated stupid guesses at amazon and Autoblog) along with having damage at all, period.

Aye, and here you are complaining about people complaining. How ironic eh?

Not complaining. Just stating the blatantly obvious.

Nomino
On topic, I think people have every right to be complaining. We get all kinds of promises of one sort or another, followed by constant let-downs.

I don't know about you, but Kaz nor Sony have ever promised anything. Kaz saying that they are "trying" to implement certain features is definitely NOT a promise.:dunce:

Is it just me or does this thead reek of unhappy people under the impression that they had expectations set way too high based on what little info they get? Also love how people are pissed at not seeing a release date in 09 like they were "promised" yet haven't taken into account the possibility that they're had been a change of plans that they weren't entirely in charge of. All I have to say is this: Whats is complaining gonna do? Its not gonna make the game come out any faster, its not gonna make Sony listen to us (I don't even believe they are aware of this site's existance). I guess I'll remain one of the few people content with having a solid release at all (instead of repeated stupid guesses at amazon and Autoblog) along with having damage at all, period.

I for one, other than just wanting a 2009 release to happen, have never been under the illusion that it would.

To the contrary, all realistic indicators going back to E3, have pointed to "spring - 2010".

What I'm mad about is the spineless, deceptive song and dance Sony has perpetuated since E3, when it was known then, what the time frame for the release of GT5 would be.

Nobody likes getting "strung along" especially when there was absolutely no reason to do so other than, I think they wanted to avoid the obvious ire of their idiotic decision to prioritize GT PSP over GT5.

Maybe you don't realize you have been played for a fool, but many of the rest of us do.

I for one, other than just wanting a 2009 release to happen, have never been under the illusion that it would.

And I haven't singled you out either, I mention many people doing so.

To the contrary, all realistic indicators going back to E3, have pointed to "spring - 2010".

Unfortuntely, many people have refused to acknowedge the possibilty of it and of course, they're reactions show this clearly.

Nobody likes getting "strung along" especially when there was absolutely no reason to do so other than, I think they wanted to avoid the obvious ire of their idiotic decision to prioritize GT PSP over GT5.

Bad marketing at its finest it looks like. Only reason I see them putting GT PSP before GT5 is so they can promote the PSP go, a complete waste of time in my opinion as it doesn't replace the current 3000 model so its purpose is useless to me.

Maybe you don't realize you have been played for a fool, but many of the rest of us do.

The only people played for a fool are the ones who hung onto every word said or misinterpret whatever they heard as truth. I'm well aware of just how daft Sony can be so if anything, I'm not surprised and have been more wary then most therefore technically, I'm not the fool. My expectations weren't as high as everyone else's was. Maybe this time, everyone will learn to think before they start to believe everything they hear.

After E3 and seing how long FM3 has come, 2 months ago, PD decided to add damamge …
Not possible, as PD showed damage in the E3 trailer.

Look at the TGS and PD realizing their mockery of damage, rollover and collision simulation engine wasn't going to fly with the fans, critics and the public. They're going to work bloody hard to make sure those things are improved.
This is possible. Kaz said they were going to spend the next few months making GT5 as good as it could possibly be, or something like that. He also indicated a lot of that work would be spent improving the damage modeling.

Then again, it's equally possible (if not more likely) that Kaz just wanted to wait until it was better. It's not like he has any problem delaying the release until he thinks it's good enough. ;)

Kaz was quoted saying it only took them 2 months to get damage to where it is. That means they might not have worked on damage for 2-3 months, or whatever the case maybe. PD has put 2 months of effort into damage is the point Kaz was trying to say. When that 2 month time period was who knows.

Back