Lets list and discuss all of Gran Turismo 7's PROBLEMS

• Thread starter Grimm6Jack
  • 165 comments
Lol. Won't someone think of the poor starving AAA development studios?!

In no sense is PD relatively small. There are bigger teams, but in general terms they're well staffed and well financed. Most studios would kill to have PDs opportunities.

It's almost like there are more people playing games these days and therefore more potential customers. But that can't be right, everyone knows that gaming is a rapidly shrinking industry.

I'm guessing you've never studied business or marketing...
And you have? And people pay you money for your "knowledge"? Lol.

Yes I have, and yes they do

I'm guessing you've never studied business or marketing...

Yes I have, and yes they do
I'm not sure what any of this has to do with the thread. This isn't a thread to rationalise PD's greed, it's a thread to highlight and discuss people's problems with the game. Yet here you are... Again.

Sony/PD's greed is a problem by the way, and you can justify it all you want and hide behind your self-professed qualifications on the matter, their business model is clear, it's not being debated, it's how they have damanged their game as a result of it that's being pointed out. Saying "that's the way it is these days" doesn't argue the point.

If you want to look at the matter from a purely numbers perspective, then sales wise GT7 is a hit, that must be a win win right? No. Look at the players feedback, not just here, but on other sites, look at Metacritic, look at the fact that KY had to directly respond to criticism earlier in the games life, something that is somewhat a rarity on his part.

What Sony/PD have done is milked GT7, and they have sold a lot of copies, so well done to them, but they are relying on their customers having short memories and trusing that GT8 will be worth their hard earned money. Each to their own on that one, I for one will definitely be holding off and waiting for more trusted reviews and sources than I did with GT7 and not get caught up in the first couple of weeks where everyone's just loving the new shiny thing.

I know if my team at work does a bad job we will lost customers year on year and lose millions. sure, we will still have work, we will still have new customers and some mugs that don't leave, but we would be considerably less successful and there would likely be redundancies as a result. Games can't rely on past successes indefinitely, franchises have died as a result and companies have gone bust in and out of the gaming industry when they have failed to read the room and lost trust.

Last edited:
I'm not sure what any of this has to do with the thread. This isn't a thread to rationalise PD's greed, it's a thread to highlight and discuss people's problems with the game. Yet here you are... Again.

Sony/PD's greed is a problem by the way, and you can justify it all you want and hide behind your self-professed qualifications on the matter, their business model is clear, it's not being debated, it's how they have damanged their game as a result of it that's being pointed out. Saying "that's the way it is these days" doesn't argue the point.

If you want to look at the matter from a purely numbers perspective, then sales wise GT7 is a hit, that must be a win win right? No. Look at the players feedback, not just here, but on other sites, look at Metacritic, look at the fact that KY had to directly respond to criticism earlier in the games life, something that is somewhat a rarity on his part.

What Sony/PD have done is milked GT7, and they have sold a lot of copies, so well done to them, but they are relying on their customers having short memories and trusing that GT8 will be worth their hard earned money. Each to their own on that one, I for one will definitely be holding off and waiting for more trusted reviews and sources than I did with GT7 and not get caught up in the first couple of weeks where everyone's just loving the new shiny thing.

I know if my team at work does a bad job we will lost customers year on year and lose millions. sure, we will still have work, we will still have new customers and some mugs that don't leave, but we would be considerably less successful and there would likely be redundancies as a result. Games can't rely on past successes indefinitely, franchises have died as a result and companies have gone bust in and out of the gaming industry when they have failed to read the room and lost trust.

I think you are overestimating how many people there are on here whinging.

People were saying the same thing on here when GT5 was released, ad then GT6, and GTS, and now GT7.

And guess what, each new release sells like hotcakes. You people take this way too personally, just play the game and enjoy it.

People were saying the same thing on here when GT5 was released, ad then GT6, and GTS, and now GT7.

And guess what, each new release sells like hotcakes. You people take this way too personally, just play the game and enjoy it.
... You have to be trolling right? One thing that is certain however is how you are not at all in tune with what this thread is about.

PD knowing how to do business and marketing is a completely different matter alltogether. They convinced me and tons of others to buy GT7 with the most dishonest type of marketing, a game that had claims from the creator and even a trailer as a homage to the past GTs from the old PS2 days, a game with over 8 years of development and even had a prologue called GT Sport which quite frankly, was looking good (and the game wasn't marketed as a full game anyway, but pure online racing focus), all things considered.

This is about the problems the game has and to discuss about them. Pure and simple. Heck, I even made sure to cap the word PROBLEMS so I wouldn't have sods here complaining about complaining, and yet here you are... It's like people like you get triggered about this and just have the need to make the obligatory "people complaining" post... Why waste time? Just ignore us and follow your own advice... Play and enjoy the game.

Last edited:

No, I'm really not. You take criticism of GT7 way too personally, just let people have their say and move along.

For the record, User Scores on Metacritic:

GT5: 7.8
GT6: 7.9
GTS: 6.1
GT7: 2.1

No difference there, of course people felt the same about GT5, 6 and Sport, nothing to see here, move along :confused:

Last edited:
Not being able to read a single word said on screen while in a rig is my gripe. Put the text at the top, please.

Last edited:
The more the better I say. How else are we going get the game we were sold? Without the complaints we probably wouldn't even have the big 4 grinding events or the human comedy missions.

Keep the complaints coming, keep them at the forefront of internet searches about this game and PD because they tried to screw their fanbase with GT7 and they deserve every bit of criticism. Every bit.
Not every bit, not dumb exaggerated criticism that comes out of the subjective position that now everything that people ain’t happy with in the game, that doesn’t fit their taste or whatever, is like that because is lazy, incompetent, detached from reality or just wants to screw over their fans to make as much profit as possible.
And how can you say that every criticism is deserved, every criticism you read here or overall, so even the ones in the future you aint able to know about yet?

No, I'm really not. You take criticism of GT7 way too personally, just let people have their say and move along.

No difference there, of course people felt the same about GT5, 6 and Sport, nothing to see here, move along :confused:

Wow you're right, I didn't realise the user score was so low 😆

Anyway, don't beat yourself up about it. I know it can be frustrating (I was super frustrated by GT5) but just remember you can't actually control the situation.

Best thing is to find another game you prefer, or just wait for heaps of updates.

As you were, gentlemen

GT5 & GT6 where examples of PD failing to adapt. Essentially HD updates of what had gone before. GTS (while not my cup of tea) & GT7 where complete step changes. Some missteps, but a fantastic base.

While all feedback is valuable. You have to be careful of being stuck in your own bubble. I know many players who used to be regular GTP posters. Some even official contributors. They’ve stepped away for multiple reasons.

Each month sites like Resetera have a GT7 update thread. Amongst the familiar grievances, feedback is largely positive, with praise for the regular updates. It’s interesting to observe different perceptions from a more mainstream gaming audience.

The day before review bombing started GT7 had approximately 3,000 Metacritic user scores. With a score around 7.0-7.5. By the end of the following week 7,000 more user scores were added. Plunging the user score under 2.0. In the intervening 5 months fewer than 700 user scores have been added. This despite the title remaining a top 10 seller across the UK, EU, US. So I wouldn’t say the user score is representative. Even if some players at the time felt such action was needed to get PD’s attention. Regardless, most submitted scores were motivated by console warring from people who didn’t even own GT7.

We can also look at Amazon scores with largely verified purchases. At the height of the review bombing the score was 2.5/5 from around 500 reviews. Today the score is 4.5/5 from over 2,000 reviews.

As for problems in GT7, two need to be addressed immediately. Online stability & lobbies. Plus the ability to sell cars. I don’t personally play online and neither do I think selling cars will dramatically change the game. But they should both be ready by now.

Outside of that higher paying events is such an easy win for PD. I’d even look into rolling them out weekly.

Last edited:
GT5 & GT6 where examples of PD failing to adapt. Essentially HD updates of what had gone before. GTS (while not my cup of tea) & GT7 where complete step changes. Some missteps, but a fantastic base.

While all feedback is valuable. You have to be careful of being stuck in your own bubble. I know many players who used to be regular GTP posters. Some even official contributors. They’ve stepped away for multiple reasons.

Each month sites like Resetera have a GT7 update thread. Amongst the familiar grievances, feedback is largely positive, with praise for the regular updates. It’s interesting to observe different perceptions from a more mainstream gaming audience.

The day before review bombing started GT7 had approximately 3,000 Metacritic user scores. With a score around 7.0-7.5. By the end of the following week 7,000 more user scores were added. Plunging the user score under 2.0. In the intervening 5 months fewer than 700 user scores have been added. This despite the title remaining a top 10 seller across the UK, EU, US. So I wouldn’t say the user score is representative. Even if some players at the time felt such action was needed to get PD’s attention. Regardless, most submitted scores were motivated by console warring from people who didn’t even own GT7.

We can also look at Amazon scores with largely verified purchases. At the height of the review bombing the score was 2.5/5 from around 500 reviews. Today the score is 4.5/5 from over 2,000 reviews.

As for problems in GT7, two need to be addressed immediately. Online stability & lobbies. Plus the ability to sell cars. I don’t personally play online and neither do I think selling cars will dramatically change the game. But they should both be ready by now.

Outside of that higher paying events is such an easy win for PD. I’d even look into rolling them out weekly.
Sure, metacritic isn't the only review score that matters, but I'm not sure Amazon is either. Amazon pushes you to leave a review pretty soon after a purchase and that's where a lot of reviews can be misleading in general. A few days playing a game doesn't always translate into your final opinion of the game.

For me, GT7 lost a huge part of it's allure when I completed the menu books and wondered where the rest of the game was. There were and still are other issues of course.

While you are correct, the low score on Metacritic is heavily impacted by the review bombing, it's also noteworthy just how low that score went. On Twitter the game faces regular backlash too. So there is clearly a complex dynamic at play, but there is also clearly discontent among fans over what the game is.

GTPlanet being the largest Gran Turismo forum is a good gauge of the games response beyond the casuals. Sure, negativity often shouts louder than positivity online, but you can gauge the degree at which that is happening and makp a determination from that.

There are far more problems with the game than online and lobbies, but the gameplay issues are unlikely to be resolved because of the business model at play here and that's what has largely led to the review bombing.

There's definitely a gulf in opinion between the long time fans and the casual fans. That's not too surprising really as GT7 is a beautiful game and if you just want to pick up and do a couple of races here and there it definitely does a job. There's a very solid foundation there to what could be IMO an absolutely fantastic game. But there are a lot of decisions made, particularly around releasing an incomplete career, drio feeding content and the in game economy which itself pushes MTX's that have in turn pushed negative opinion and PD have to hope that doesn't damage GT8.

Last edited:
The fact that this game is released in a clearly unfinished, beta like state is the source of many of Gran Turismo 7's problems in my estimation.

At launch, the physics for RWD cars was atrocious. They were completely unwieldy and hazardous to drive. Yet, all the target times for licence tests, missions, and Café events are set up with that atrocious physics in mind. Now that update 1.20 finally gave us physics somewhat resembling reality, those target times and races are now a complete joke. The demonstration videos for licence tests are seemingly driven on a version earlier than what we got at launch, making them completely useless as well. What would someone who started playing GT7 today think of the game if they didn't have that knowledge? It is impossible to curate a fair, challenging, and rewarding learning experience if the game changes so much every month. As such, Gran Turismo 7 simply cannot give that sense of satisfaction of clearing challenges that earlier titles have been excellent at providing, because most of them were made without the mentality of "whatever, we can fix this later", and therefore was released in a much more refined, presentable state.

Because the game was released in such a broken mess, monthly updates are hastily put together to fix the enormous amounts of issues in the game, from minor to major. The problem is that every update seems to bring in new bugs, such as putting road tyres on dirt driving missions, exaggerated tyre wear, brake caliper colour bugs, and so on. According to Nenkai, most of the updates for the game are compiled ONE DAY before release, which leads me to believe that the updates are hastily put together with a lack of play testing, much like the game itself. In addition to this, most of the problems the community takes serious issues with, such as the lack of stability in online lobbies, the lack of competitive and safe driving AI, the ability to sell cars, low paying events, and low number of events, have yet to be acknowledged since late March. It paints PD as an incompetent, or simply callous developer that is incapable or does not care about giving customers a satisfactory, well refined product. There is simply no passion in the game or pride in the studio. We are essentially PD's product testers, and we pay for that privilege. It's simply an awful look for a first party developer that has made some of PlayStation's best selling titles.

Because the game is continually changing, tuning our cars also becomes a largely pointless endeavor when PP calculations and physics changes seemingly every month, effectively breaking our tunes and forcing us to redo all the work. Any lap time we set is also made irrelevant when the next patch arrives. It renders a lot of the game a moot point. Also, while on the topic of tuning, why is it that I can put a 1037HP LS7 into a Silvia Q's, but I can't increase its tyre width to cope with the extra power? No three spoke aftermarket wheels? Carbon fibre can't be used in conjunction with other paints? I lose the car's original decals if I want to give my car an authentic looking licence plate? Why?

All of Gran Turismo 7's game modes are essentially time attack challenges, which makes the game as a whole a very stale experience. Music Rally tasks players to cover a set distance within the song's time limit. Licence tests task the player to reach the goal within a time limit. Campaign "races" task the player to reach the finish line within the time limit set by the lead AI car. Only missions offer some variety in game modes, ranging from drag races, drift trails, knocking down cones, reaching a certain top speed, or even covering the greatest possible distance on limited fuel. However, these missions are not only extremely short, but also reward players in pitiful amounts and only upon first clearing the missions, giving players no incentives to revisit them, or even clear them once. It's also baffling how the developers put in all the work to make these varied game modes function, yet do not give us any ability to make our own events using these modes. Who wouldn't want to be able to set up a drag race in a lobby to race with their friends or simply test their machinery in a custom race?

The "races" are an utter farce. As mentioned earlier, "races" against the AI in GT7 are barely disguised time attack challenges, albeit with moving obstacles that hog the racing line, ignore flag rules, and will be more than happy to punt players who dare take their racing line. Not only do we lack proper grid starts with competitors close to each other, we also lack any form of qualifying, ensuring that no matter the event, we will always start dead last, some 30–45 seconds behind the lead car. Coupled with the complete ineptitude and lack of pace from the AI opponents, this massive handicap only serves to incentivise players into viewing the AI cars less as opponents and more moving obstacles to quickly pass (or shove aside) to finish the race in time. I find this ironic as GT Sport and GT7 are supposed to endorse good racing etiquette and safe driving, yet the gameplay is encouraging the exact opposite of such. If we had competent, safe AI that start the race in close proximity with us, then the race becomes more than a time attack affair and more of a race.

Not only that, but as PP calculations and physics constantly change between updates, the AI opponents are not updated accordingly. What we end up with then, are AI cars that are clearly running above the PP limits of the events in which they serve as opponents. Take for example V. Gallo's 2017 NSX at WTC600 Tokyo East Outer Loop, which can hit 316km/h on the home straight without slipstream while having Sport Soft tyres equipped, running lap times under 2:14. At the time of writing, a factory fresh NSX '17 has 580.01 PP, can reach about 313km/h before needing to brake for Turn 1, and installing Sport Soft tyres immediately pushes it to 614.52 PP. The AI is clearly cheating by entering cars that should not be allowed in the events they populate, but they also cheat by driving under completely different physics that seemingly ignores rain. The end result is a largely superficial farce that can barely be considered a race.

Many complain about the low number of events in World Circuits, which is definitely a problem GT7 suffers badly from. Me personally, I stopped bothering with these curated events once I finished the original 42 Menu Books, simply because I find races in GT7 more of a chore than anything remotely enjoyable.

The Daily Workout Ticket is an abhorrent system. That the game's best tuning parts, and engine swaps, are locked behind this system is a travesty.

The in–game economy for Gran Turismo 7 is a travesty. To borrow a quote from a friend of mine, "GT7 feels like a second job". A game, something used as escapism and fun, feels like a job.

That basic units of measurements, like distance, speed, and mass, can't be changed in the options since 2017 is a travesty.

Online lobbies are still laggy and riddled with bugs.

The prices for microtransactions within the game is a travesty.

I massively dislike the Used Car Dealer and Legendary Car Dealers. Back in GT Sport, every car in the game (with a few exceptions) can be bought in any of their factory colours at their factory price at any time. In GT7, not only are we now massively inconvenienced by having to wait for cars to become available at these dealers to buy, we also can't choose the colours to buy them in. The UCD in particular had cars of the same colour rotate in and out for several months before 1.20 finally changed them. All this inconvenience for what exactly? These supposedly second hand cars are all in excellent conditions with no damage or modifications. There's no charm, soul, or story in them whatsoever. The only differences between a car bought from the Brand Central and the Car Dealers are the artificial mileage numbers and the massive inconvenience. All this just to save a few grand? No thanks.

The fact that certain cars are valued by Hagerty is such a distasteful farce. Yes, a McLaren F1 Road Car did sell for 19 million USD in the real world. But I don't make a million USD an hour in real life like I do in the game. What is the purpose behind making me put in twenty hours of labour just to buy a McLaren F1 then? Is it 42.2 times more useful or beneficial than a Gr.3 car if it costs 42.2 times the price? What is the point of a 1973 BMW 3.0 CSL with only 205HP that costs 203,000 Credits in the game if I can have similar performance from a Toyota GR86 that costs only 33,500 Credits? By reflecting real world prices for cars in the game, players are actively being deincentivised to buy or drive these classic cars, which I think goes against the whole point of a racing game, especially one that claims to celebrate car culture and aims to include a wide variety of cars. In the real world, these cars cost so much because there is history and exclusivity in these cars. Anyone can buy any number of McLaren F1s or 3.0 CSLs in this game if they have the money. These cars are just data in a game, of which any number of copies can be made. In the real world, the rich buy these cars as an investment with hopes that they will appreciate in value because of their rarity, condition, and history. We cannot even sell cars in GT7. Hence, there is no reason whatsoever that we, the players of GT7, should have to pay real world prices for these cars, because they are fundamentally different products that serve completely different purposes. In a game, a fantasy setting, I want to be able to experience driving these cars at the limit. I want to try tuning them. However, the prohibitive cost of these cars, along with how certain modifications cannot be undone, actively discourages me from doing that. That is to say, this game is set up in such a way that it makes me not want to play. And that is something I view as a complete lack of understanding of how a game should be structured by the game developers. They have seemingly forgotten at some point that they are making a game, despite what the tagline of "The Real Driving Simulator" claims.

While GT7 has a satisfactory number of tracks, I find that the track list is sorely lacking in variety, with the vast majority of them being wide, smoothly paved tracks that serve high–downforce racing cars well, such as Kyoto, Suzuka, Maggiore, Trial Mountain, and Sainte-Croix. They all blend together and have very little identity or "soul" to them as a result, with the only clear standouts being Mt. Panorama, Tsukuba, and Willow Springs. Gran Turismo to me has always been a franchise that emphasises the sheer variety and eccentricities of cars across different makes and eras, yet there are hardly any tracks that really emphaises the joys of driving a small, lightweight Kei car, or bring out the differences in them, just as one example. I feel that we have enough tracks to hold sanctioned Gr.3 and Gr.4 races on, and thus can afford to have a few off kilter tracks to cater to the other 80% of cars in the game. The recently added Rallycross layout of Catalunya I feel is a great step in that direction. Other tracks in the series' past, such as El Capitan, Motor Sports Land, Citta di Aria, and Grindelwald are also prime examples that can expand on the variety of the track list and give otherwise useless cars a place in which they can shine and come to life.

I hate that Gran Turismo 7's API has shifted to a closed API from Gran Turismo Sport's open API. Back in GT Sport, searching for decals and liveries was quick and easy thanks to fan–made search engines that far exceeded the capabilities of what was officially provided in the game and the game's website. It was also possible to view detailed Driver Rating and Sportsmanship Rating histories for players if you searched their PSN names, which can give us an idea of how skilled they are and how cleanly they race. Is someone a dirty driver who pushes competitors out of the way often, only to repair their ratings before an FIA race? Are they someone who deliberately loses races to lower their rating so as to match with lower rated players to score easy race wins? All that and more is easily verifiable in GT Sport thanks to its open API, but with 7, none of that is possible. The search engine for decals and liveries provided by the game only allows for one word and one search term at a time. Somehow, performing the same search on the game's website can yield completely different results. It's a convoluted, inefficient, and frustrating system to use. The fans have demonstrated that they can do better than PD, and it's just such a slap across the face that we are denied the ability to make our own lives easier. If a car exists in GT Sport, I will make my liveries in GT Sport and import them to GT7 after just because there is so much more variety and accessibility in GTS than GT7.

The biggest problem with GT7 however, has to be Polyphony Digital. They have all this reach. All this influence. All the pro racing drivers at their disposal, both real life and virtual, that they can consult. They have the backing of Sony, being a first party developer. They have nearly 30 years of experience in developing games. They have swathes of passionate fans that have been trying to reach out to them, offering advice, suggestions, complaints, for the past six months since launch. The only thing they don't have is an excuse for this sorry mess of a game. It is their choice that they do not want to listen. It is their choice to not want to communicate with us and dissuade some of the discontent among players. It is evident to me that they have zero interest in making GT7 an enjoyable game to play or to do right by their fans. GT7 was delayed once prior and it was still such a buggy and unfinished mess at launch. What does all of this say about PD, its staff, and its director? To me, they are simply washed up, stuck up sticks in the mud who refuse to evolve or listen, which wouldn't be that much of a problem if they were competent at making functional games with functional features. But they clearly aren't competent.

The fact that this game is released in a clearly unfinished, beta like state is the source of many of Gran Turismo 7's problems in my estimation.

At launch, the physics for RWD cars was atrocious. They were completely unwieldy and hazardous to drive. Yet, all the target times for licence tests, missions, and Café events are set up with that atrocious physics in mind. Now that update 1.20 finally gave us physics somewhat resembling reality, those target times and races are now a complete joke. The demonstration videos for licence tests are seemingly driven on a version earlier than what we got at launch, making them completely useless as well. What would someone who started playing GT7 today think of the game if they didn't have that knowledge? It is impossible to curate a fair, challenging, and rewarding learning experience if the game changes so much every month. As such, Gran Turismo 7 simply cannot give that sense of satisfaction of clearing challenges that earlier titles have been excellent at providing, because most of them were made without the mentality of "whatever, we can fix this later", and therefore was released in a much more refined, presentable state.

Because the game was released in such a broken mess, monthly updates are hastily put together to fix the enormous amounts of issues in the game, from minor to major. The problem is that every update seems to bring in new bugs, such as putting road tyres on dirt driving missions, exaggerated tyre wear, brake caliper colour bugs, and so on. According to Nenkai, most of the updates for the game are compiled ONE DAY before release, which leads me to believe that the updates are hastily put together with a lack of play testing, much like the game itself. In addition to this, most of the problems the community takes serious issues with, such as the lack of stability in online lobbies, the lack of competitive and safe driving AI, the ability to sell cars, low paying events, and low number of events, have yet to be acknowledged since late March. It paints PD as an incompetent, or simply callous developer that is incapable or does not care about giving customers a satisfactory, well refined product. There is simply no passion in the game or pride in the studio. We are essentially PD's product testers, and we pay for that privilege. It's simply an awful look for a first party developer that has made some of PlayStation's best selling titles.

Because the game is continually changing, tuning our cars also becomes a largely pointless endeavor when PP calculations and physics changes seemingly every month, effectively breaking our tunes and forcing us to redo all the work. Any lap time we set is also made irrelevant when the next patch arrives. It renders a lot of the game a moot point. Also, while on the topic of tuning, why is it that I can put a 1037HP LS7 into a Silvia Q's, but I can't increase its tyre width to cope with the extra power? No three spoke aftermarket wheels? Carbon fibre can't be used in conjunction with other paints? I lose the car's original decals if I want to give my car an authentic looking licence plate? Why?

All of Gran Turismo 7's game modes are essentially time attack challenges, which makes the game as a whole a very stale experience. Music Rally tasks players to cover a set distance within the song's time limit. Licence tests task the player to reach the goal within a time limit. Campaign "races" task the player to reach the finish line within the time limit set by the lead AI car. Only missions offer some variety in game modes, ranging from drag races, drift trails, knocking down cones, reaching a certain top speed, or even covering the greatest possible distance on limited fuel. However, these missions are not only extremely short, but also reward players in pitiful amounts and only upon first clearing the missions, giving players no incentives to revisit them, or even clear them once. It's also baffling how the developers put in all the work to make these varied game modes function, yet do not give us any ability to make our own events using these modes. Who wouldn't want to be able to set up a drag race in a lobby to race with their friends or simply test their machinery in a custom race?

The "races" are an utter farce. As mentioned earlier, "races" against the AI in GT7 are barely disguised time attack challenges, albeit with moving obstacles that hog the racing line, ignore flag rules, and will be more than happy to punt players who dare take their racing line. Not only do we lack proper grid starts with competitors close to each other, we also lack any form of qualifying, ensuring that no matter the event, we will always start dead last, some 30–45 seconds behind the lead car. Coupled with the complete ineptitude and lack of pace from the AI opponents, this massive handicap only serves to incentivise players into viewing the AI cars less as opponents and more moving obstacles to quickly pass (or shove aside) to finish the race in time. I find this ironic as GT Sport and GT7 are supposed to endorse good racing etiquette and safe driving, yet the gameplay is encouraging the exact opposite of such. If we had competent, safe AI that start the race in close proximity with us, then the race becomes more than a time attack affair and more of a race.

Not only that, but as PP calculations and physics constantly change between updates, the AI opponents are not updated accordingly. What we end up with then, are AI cars that are clearly running above the PP limits of the events in which they serve as opponents. Take for example V. Gallo's 2017 NSX at WTC600 Tokyo East Outer Loop, which can hit 316km/h on the home straight without slipstream while having Sport Soft tyres equipped, running lap times under 2:14. At the time of writing, a factory fresh NSX '17 has 580.01 PP, can reach about 313km/h before needing to brake for Turn 1, and installing Sport Soft tyres immediately pushes it to 614.52 PP. The AI is clearly cheating by entering cars that should not be allowed in the events they populate, but they also cheat by driving under completely different physics that seemingly ignores rain. The end result is a largely superficial farce that can barely be considered a race.

Many complain about the low number of events in World Circuits, which is definitely a problem GT7 suffers badly from. Me personally, I stopped bothering with these curated events once I finished the original 42 Menu Books, simply because I find races in GT7 more of a chore than anything remotely enjoyable.

The Daily Workout Ticket is an abhorrent system. That the game's best tuning parts, and engine swaps, are locked behind this system is a travesty.

The in–game economy for Gran Turismo 7 is a travesty. To borrow a quote from a friend of mine, "GT7 feels like a second job". A game, something used as escapism and fun, feels like a job.

That basic units of measurements, like distance, speed, and mass, can't be changed in the options since 2017 is a travesty.

Online lobbies are still laggy and riddled with bugs.

The prices for microtransactions within the game is a travesty.

I massively dislike the Used Car Dealer and Legendary Car Dealers. Back in GT Sport, every car in the game (with a few exceptions) can be bought in any of their factory colours at their factory price at any time. In GT7, not only are we now massively inconvenienced by having to wait for cars to become available at these dealers to buy, we also can't choose the colours to buy them in. The UCD in particular had cars of the same colour rotate in and out for several months before 1.20 finally changed them. All this inconvenience for what exactly? These supposedly second hand cars are all in excellent conditions with no damage or modifications. There's no charm, soul, or story in them whatsoever. The only differences between a car bought from the Brand Central and the Car Dealers are the artificial mileage numbers and the massive inconvenience. All this just to save a few grand? No thanks.

The fact that certain cars are valued by Hagerty is such a distasteful farce. Yes, a McLaren F1 Road Car did sell for 19 million USD in the real world. But I don't make a million USD an hour in real life like I do in the game. What is the purpose behind making me put in twenty hours of labour just to buy a McLaren F1 then? Is it 42.2 times more useful or beneficial than a Gr.3 car if it costs 42.2 times the price? What is the point of a 1973 BMW 3.0 CSL with only 205HP that costs 203,000 Credits in the game if I can have similar performance from a Toyota GR86 that costs only 33,500 Credits? By reflecting real world prices for cars in the game, players are actively being deincentivised to buy or drive these classic cars, which I think goes against the whole point of a racing game, especially one that claims to celebrate car culture and aims to include a wide variety of cars. In the real world, these cars cost so much because there is history and exclusivity in these cars. Anyone can buy any number of McLaren F1s or 3.0 CSLs in this game if they have the money. These cars are just data in a game, of which any number of copies can be made. In the real world, the rich buy these cars as an investment with hopes that they will appreciate in value because of their rarity, condition, and history. We cannot even sell cars in GT7. Hence, there is no reason whatsoever that we, the players of GT7, should have to pay real world prices for these cars, because they are fundamentally different products that serve completely different purposes. In a game, a fantasy setting, I want to be able to experience driving these cars at the limit. I want to try tuning them. However, the prohibitive cost of these cars, along with how certain modifications cannot be undone, actively discourages me from doing that. That is to say, this game is set up in such a way that it makes me not want to play. And that is something I view as a complete lack of understanding of how a game should be structured by the game developers. They have seemingly forgotten at some point that they are making a game, despite what the tagline of "The Real Driving Simulator" claims.

While GT7 has a satisfactory number of tracks, I find that the track list is sorely lacking in variety, with the vast majority of them being wide, smoothly paved tracks that serve high–downforce racing cars well, such as Kyoto, Suzuka, Maggiore, Trial Mountain, and Sainte-Croix. They all blend together and have very little identity or "soul" to them as a result, with the only clear standouts being Mt. Panorama, Tsukuba, and Willow Springs. Gran Turismo to me has always been a franchise that emphasises the sheer variety and eccentricities of cars across different makes and eras, yet there are hardly any tracks that really emphaises the joys of driving a small, lightweight Kei car, or bring out the differences in them, just as one example. I feel that we have enough tracks to hold sanctioned Gr.3 and Gr.4 races on, and thus can afford to have a few off kilter tracks to cater to the other 80% of cars in the game. The recently added Rallycross layout of Catalunya I feel is a great step in that direction. Other tracks in the series' past, such as El Capitan, Motor Sports Land, Citta di Aria, and Grindelwald are also prime examples that can expand on the variety of the track list and give otherwise useless cars a place in which they can shine and come to life.

I hate that Gran Turismo 7's API has shifted to a closed API from Gran Turismo Sport's open API. Back in GT Sport, searching for decals and liveries was quick and easy thanks to fan–made search engines that far exceeded the capabilities of what was officially provided in the game and the game's website. It was also possible to view detailed Driver Rating and Sportsmanship Rating histories for players if you searched their PSN names, which can give us an idea of how skilled they are and how cleanly they race. Is someone a dirty driver who pushes competitors out of the way often, only to repair their ratings before an FIA race? Are they someone who deliberately loses races to lower their rating so as to match with lower rated players to score easy race wins? All that and more is easily verifiable in GT Sport thanks to its open API, but with 7, none of that is possible. The search engine for decals and liveries provided by the game only allows for one word and one search term at a time. Somehow, performing the same search on the game's website can yield completely different results. It's a convoluted, inefficient, and frustrating system to use. The fans have demonstrated that they can do better than PD, and it's just such a slap across the face that we are denied the ability to make our own lives easier. If a car exists in GT Sport, I will make my liveries in GT Sport and import them to GT7 after just because there is so much more variety and accessibility in GTS than GT7.

The biggest problem with GT7 however, has to be Polyphony Digital. They have all this reach. All this influence. All the pro racing drivers at their disposal, both real life and virtual, that they can consult. They have the backing of Sony, being a first party developer. They have nearly 30 years of experience in developing games. They have swathes of passionate fans that have been trying to reach out to them, offering advice, suggestions, complaints, for the past six months since launch. The only thing they don't have is an excuse for this sorry mess of a game. It is their choice that they do not want to listen. It is their choice to not want to communicate with us and dissuade some of the discontent among players. It is evident to me that they have zero interest in making GT7 an enjoyable game to play or to do right by their fans. GT7 was delayed once prior and it was still such a buggy and unfinished mess at launch. What does all of this say about PD, its staff, and its director? To me, they are simply washed up, stuck up sticks in the mud who refuse to evolve or listen, which wouldn't be that much of a problem if they were competent at making functional games with functional features. But they clearly aren't competent.

Well Square, what the forum has been lacking in terms of your short stories, you’ve more than made up for it with this post.

Well said and articulated buddy 👍🏼

A problem for me with GT7 is that it is still lacking an in-car view where the wheel has been removed. Such a camera option is pretty much essential for people using a rig. Jumping from AC and ACC for example back to the GT view really drives that omission home.

A problem for me with GT7 is that it is still lacking an in-car view where the wheel has been removed. Such a camera option is pretty much essential for people using a rig. Jumping from AC and ACC for example back to the GT view really drives that omission home.
Imagine this onboard camera in GT7 with adjustable zoom and FOV.
For example, all formula cars have a realistic f1 onboard camera, but they are used only in replays, which I don't understand.

And the first Le Mans video also has a nice HUD style. Also notice the increasing dirt on the windshield which is also missing in GT7.

Last edited:
It's pick up and play if u do daily races. But if you are into tuning you have to spend time buying brake balance etc. Than you go to another track and you want to tune another car, you realize you have to do the same thing over again. It takes so much time. Loading screens are way to long. The physics are better/more fun in grid! To many songs for different menu screen. Why even bother skipping song after 10 sec in one screen, just let the song go on. Career mode feels boring as h....

Yes, those were the numbers (46 for GT7 and 332 for GT4).

And I am thinking critically about the statistics because they have to be based on the people that can do them faster, ergo, the better drivers. If we base it on the average, than those numbers that you posted are equally inflated as well for the other games. In fact, for the average, some of those events are not even possible to complete due to how difficult they are. So we really can't base this on the average player, but on the high-tier players.

You missed the part where you were rewarded cars for completing those sets of races (Turbo Races, Sunday Cups, Championships)... You are starting to look like you're reaching for the stars in "defending" (for lack of a better word) the content of GT7. It's outright garbage and gives no incentive to play these monthly races where they don't reward you anything, other than just completing them for the sake of completing them.
How long has it been since we got a set of events that we could get a good reward like winning a car or massive prize money? ... I'll remember you... since the first update with the endurance races... 5 months ago...
Aren’t the Races we do what Racing Games are about?
I mean I would also like to see better payouts and a better overall career, more interesting races too.
But saying the races don’t give you any incentive to play them, is a interesting quote on a racing game.
I think it a lot of you guys here got a little too far into this criticism, it seems like you don’t even allow yourself to like the good parts of the game anymore and lost the focus on what it’s all about.
We’re is the reward in the Microsoft Flight Simulator after you flew several hours, where is the reward for finishing the finale of Uncharted 4 (except maybe a PlayStation trophy) or to play Journey?
Sure it’s part of a game like GT to give rewards because it wants to simulate something like a career and give you the opportunity to buy new cars, but the experience itself and the challenge of it should be still the main thing about a racing game in my opinion.

So they are races?
They are races, however they aren't particularly engaging and as a result are not massively fun to repeat. Granted that's entirely a personal opinion and if someone enjoys the races in GT7 that's good for them, they will get more out of the game.

PD have shown us that they can do good races, the few Clubman Cup + races are proof of that. But in Custom race the AI don't drive fast, even at the highest difficulty and they follow a script to help the player win and the remainder of the single player races are based around catching the rabbit who starts 30 seconds or more ahead.

It's a matter of preference, but personally I don't find GT7 engaging at all. Which is a shame as there is some really solid potential in there.

Last edited:
So they are races?
If you want to be completely literal with the word then yes, I suppose they're handicap races. What they're not is races as pretty much every other serious racing game implements, which mimics real world motor racing where everyone starts at the same time, as close as possible in a grid or rolling start, and they all try to win. Just as they do online, although even then PD spaces cars way too far apart.

You will not find a single instance of a real world race event that looks anything like Gran Turismo single player since GT5.

Last edited:
They are races, however they aren't particularly engaging and as a result are massively fun to repeat. Granted that's entirely a personal opinion and if someone enjoys the races in GT7 that's good for them, they will get more out of the game.

PD have shown us that they can do good races, the few Clubman Cup + races are proof of that. But in Custom race the AI don't drive fast, even at the highest difficulty and they follow a script to help the player win and the remainder of the single player races are based around catching the rabbit who starts 30 seconds or more ahead.

It's a matter of preference, but personally I don't find GT7 engaging at all. Which is a shame as there is some really solid potential in there.
Agree, I would also prefer more authentic races👍

As someone who really enjoys watching replays of exciting races I do online, the glare often ruins them. Not just replays, but even while playing the game the glare off the cars makes it very difficult to see the cars themselves. Is there glare off cars in real life? Yea. Is it even close to this bad? No way.

Minor gripe, but a gripe none-the-less.

gran-turismo%C2%AE-7_20220925102735-jpg.1195473

Attachments

• Gran Turismo® 7_20220925102735.jpg
    Gran Turismo® 7_20220925102735.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
If you want to be completely literal with the word then yes, I suppose they're handicap races. What they're not is races as pretty much every other serious racing game implements, which mimics real world motor racing where everyone starts at the same time, as close as possible in a grid or rolling start, and they all try to win. Just as they do online, although even then PD spaces cars way too far apart.

You will not find a single instance of a real world race event that looks anything like Gran Turismo single player since GT5.
You don’t need be „completely literally“ to call them races.
If they are races, then just don’t say they ain’t.

Historic Pursuit Racing is a Club Championship racing category based on a staggered reverse starting grid where the slowest car starts first and the fastest car starts last.
So not much like GT then, where the car in first is just as fast as yours starting in last but they drive it slowly or purposely let you catch up.

But you know what, let's count it and I'll revise my statement.

You will only find a single instance of a real world race event that looks anything like Gran Turismo single player since GT5, an amateur event in South Africa where some of the competitors are 80.

Game changer.

Last edited:
You will only find a single instance of a real world race event that looks anything like Gran Turismo single player since GT5, an amateur event in South Africa where some of the competitors are 80.
Not just South Africa, UK has it with the Bentley Drivers Club Handicap races,
not sure why "in South Africa where some of the competitors are 80." has anything to do with the conversation, I highly doubt you've been involved in Motorsport in South Africa like I have to know this, most competitor's are in the 30's and 40's.

Last edited:
Back