iracing.com

• Thread starter red7
  • 21,570 comments
lol, wow, I am going to admit it slipped my mind as embarrassing as it is. I am the Fool in complete over the top fashion! :lol:

I'm with @Punknoodle here, they've always said they'll add dirt when they feel they can do it justice. Also, Clint Bowyer just kind of confirmed it's real on twitter (unless he's just being a dick)

Hey guys, just wondering how you go about entering in endurance races (like the 3 hour ones). Do you normally enter these by yourselves or get a team together? How do you arrange a team? Sorry, new to this :)

They say some very interesting things in here in regards to timeframe, I won't spoil it, but I imagine they have AN ABSOLUTE TON OF WORK TO DO to make this work! I will say that I saw this coming just not so soon. I know Tire Compounds have a lot to do on dirt so it will be interesting to see if and how they implement it and whether it will carry over to F1 Tire compounds.

This really pisses me off. I am not often an Oval racer, (Although I ran 250 laps and Martinsville a few days ago and had a BLAST! Results) but this is a feature that I know a lot of members, including myself, really really want. Going to the trouble to make a whole April fools video out of it, is just over the top. Not only are they teasing customers, they are also showing that they are spending time doing other things. When there is a ton of content that they have yet to get out... Imola, Le Mans, Renault 3.5, Aston V8 Vantage GT3, DX11 fixes, fixes for the POS site, ect. I think you get my point. I know they need some days off. But don't tease customers. Come race with us, we'd really like that!

Hey guys, just wondering how you go about entering in endurance races (like the 3 hour ones). Do you normally enter these by yourselves or get a team together? How do you arrange a team? Sorry, new to this :)

I've done a few by myself. And some with teammates. It's a lot of fun either way really. Here's the race from today in P5 :) Results

It's not an April Fools joke... Dirt oval racing very well might be happening.

They reverse pranked us.

So they pulled a prank that wasn't a prank, which was the prank? So..confounding..
upload_2016-4-3_19-12-46.png

I'm pretty sure that dirt really is coming to iRacing, that is a clever April Fool's video that isn't an April Fool's video - just teasing us. I expect soon they'll post a notice in the forum to confirm that dirt really is coming later this year.

Anyway, the guy who makes the videos won't have a clue how to create content for the sim or write code for new features so making the video isn't taking anything away from any of that.

Marky, you beat me to the punchline! Was just about to post this! DiRT Rally may have just gotten it's main competition. Once this hits, I will be renewing my subscription for sure.

To anyone at iRacing:

upload_2016-4-4_15-7-47.png

This really pisses me off. I am not often an Oval racer, (Although I ran 250 laps and Martinsville a few days ago and had a BLAST! Results) but this is a feature that I know a lot of members, including myself, really really want. Going to the trouble to make a whole April fools video out of it, is just over the top. Not only are they teasing customers, they are also showing that they are spending time doing other things. When there is a ton of content that they have yet to get out... Imola, Le Mans, Renault 3.5, Aston V8 Vantage GT3, DX11 fixes, fixes for the POS site, ect. I think you get my point. I know they need some days off. But don't tease customers. Come race with us, we'd really like that!

I was gonna respond with "Bro, chill out" but with this announcement after that passionate rant, what say you now? :)

I was gonna respond with "Bro, chill out" but with this announcement after that passionate rant, what say you now? :)

Showing it as an "April fools" deal was still a mistake. Definitely got people riled up, including myself. They would have gotten a much bigger and better response if they just leaked the release into the build notes that they are coming in. Really surprise people. Not piss them off. That being said, the later half of my post still stands. They're still really behind with other content.

So much of iRacing now runs as parallel projects that it's unfair to say that it delays other content. It *may* delay it slightly but I get the impression most of the delay with content is due to the manufacturers with respect to vehicles. I mean look how fast the McLaren came out.

Likewise I'm certain those working on the dirt side aren't involved in any of the site logistics, the lighting engine for day/night transitions, etc.

It was funny to do the reverse joke and lots of people are reacting badly unnecessarily to it for reasons I don't quite understand.

It was funny to do the reverse joke and lots of people are reacting badly unnecessarily to it for reasons I don't quite understand.

I've read lots of people reacting with perspective and humor too, even if they were pissed off at first. It's just a game (sorry, a sim ;)) after all.

I am more worried from a price perspective, say one rally car (or two if you are so inclined) plus a few tracks (8 if you want to be official) then it stacks up to easily costing more than say, Dirt Rally. I would much prefer like other road/oval series that at least 1 rally car is for free, and say 4 tracks are for free. That would be great.

I am more worried from a price perspective, say one rally car (or two if you are so inclined) plus a few tracks (8 if you want to be official) then it stacks up to easily costing more than say, Dirt Rally. I would much prefer like other road/oval series that at least 1 rally car is for free, and say 4 tracks are for free. That would be great.
Myers said on twitter the first few rallyX tracks would be new layouts of existing tracks, so I imagine if you already owned those tracks it would be a free upgrade.

Last edited:
Myers said on twitter the first few rallyX tracks would be new layouts of existing tracks, so I imagine if you already owned those tracks it would be a free upgrade.

So the first tracks for dirt will be fictional? I'm not sure how that's going to go over. That will probably have people crying from the heavens.

So the first tracks for dirt will be fictional? I'm not sure how that's going to go over. That will probably have people crying from the heavens.

Well not exactly fictional. Here is the way I see it. For now they are going to use existing tracks so the GRC layout will be inside of tracks they already have. Good example are Daytona and COTA. They ran GRC events there last year so once they get the dirt surface to where they want it all they have to do is use the same layout as they did in real life.

They will be scanning the dirt ovals so they have the whole facility like Eldora where the GRC layouts will be made by them. I still see this as "realistic" because dirt is ever evolving so there is really no need to actual laser scan the dirt. They just got to get the surface working like they want then map out the tracks and its basically the same as a scanned asphalt track since the laser scanning is picking up all the details in the asphalt track where as they will be making the dirt themselves. Plus there is no way they could have the time to scan during a GRC event and on top of that the courses are always changing layouts.

I don't know how many people here follow red bull GRC but last year the GRC event that was during July 4th weekend at the military base was just 45 mins from my house and it was free admission so me and a buddy went and watched the race. The tracks are setup, raced and torn down all within the weekend. I just don't see how they would be able to scan them even if they wanted in that kind of time frame. Maybe they can but like I said I see no reason to laser scan dirt since its always changing. At the GRC event I was at it was middle of the summer on the air strip of the marine base so it was extremely hot. They had to go over and prep and wet the track after each heat so that's why I think once they get the surface down they can just re create the layouts and it would be the same as how they do now with laser scanning normal asphalt tracks. This is my view on it anyway.

*December 31st, 2016* "psych it really was an April Fools Joke!" :lol:

You do make a good point.

Last edited:

I hope so, but I somewhat doubt it. I would be surprised if they did. iRacing has been turning the screws more so than recently

Did my first V8 Supercars race tonight. Man was that a lot of fun! The car is fun enough to drive alone, but when you throw in everyone around you, it makes for some really fun racing and you really have to keep your cool and continue to focus on driving the car while thinking of a way to defend and attack. Finished P5 which I think is pretty respectable considering I've just begun driving the car a few days ago. Results

I've just been upgraded to a C licence, currently competing in Skip Barber and was considering what series to do next season (Formula Renault or V8 Supercars). By the sounds of it I might have to give V8 Supercars a whirl :)

Latest Posts

Back