iracing.com

• Thread starter red7
  • 21,570 comments
Speaking of FFB, I tried the FR 2.0 and it actually has decent FFB. You feel a lot more bumps and feedback from the wheel in this car than any other I've tried in iRacing. You actually know through the wheel where the grip limit is, at least most of the time. It isn't quite as good as rF2 or Automobilista, but it's a step in the right direction for sure.

Will probably be giving this one a go in the official series.

I read that as, "makes me wish I had $3k to spend on a wheel and pedals" :sly:
I know at least that's what I would wish for :lol:

I still haven't had a chance to try the update.

If you think you need a $3000 wheel to experience decent FFB you're mistaken. If you think iRacing has good FFB across the board, you've only played iRacing and maybe GT6 or Sebastian Loeb Rally Evo.

Last edited:
Laguna Seca at late afternoon giving me flashbacks...

iRacingSim64DX11 2016-03-08 22-00-06-728.png

iRacingSim64DX11 2016-03-08 22-00-53-459.png

Yay

But byebye to the RUF and Ford from the GT3 races! :(

Honestly, I'll will love watching GT3 races without either. The Ruf never belonged there anyway and the Ford was just the laziest cop out I've ever seen to adding another actual GT3 car. Now we'll have fields of actual GT3 cars instead of fields featuring only two real ones, a fantasy GT3 (The hell is this, Gran Turismo?) and a road car that literally looks no different then the other "Variants". Seriously, what is the difference?

Last edited:
Thought it was interesting post 2015 Q1 to see how the participation is going:http://www.iracer.info/statistics

Looks like road and oval both down from Q4 2015. Despite the super hyped nurburgring releasing. Also if you look at history, Q1 is typically a strong season. I wonder why it went down? Was it due to AC, pCars ? Or was it due to perhaps the strength of the USD? I know a lot of currencies have been hurt.

Q2 2016 will be interesting given Mercedes, Renault, new MX-5 and Audi release (I don't think I have seen so many new cars being added in one go).

Last edited:
Thought it was interesting post 2015 Q1 to see how the participation is going:http://www.iracer.info/statistics

Looks like road and oval both down from Q4 2015. Despite the super hyped nurburgring releasing. Also if you look at history, Q1 is typically a strong season. I wonder why it went down? Was it due to AC, pCars ? Or was it due to perhaps the strength of the USD? I know a lot of currencies have been hurt.

Q2 2016 will be interesting given Mercedes, Renault, new MX-5 and Audi release (I don't think I have seen so many new cars being added in one go).

It's more like that website hasn't included, for some reason, the last 3 weeks worth of participation into the value shown on the graph. If you look at the raw numbers under the history tab it looks like S1 2016 had better numbers than S4 2015.

It's more like that website hasn't included, for some reason, the last 3 weeks worth of participation into the value shown on the graph. If you look at the raw numbers under the history tab it looks like S1 2016 had better numbers than S4 2015.

You're right. That is a bit odd. Must be a lag impact? Hmmm

I love reading the release notes for obscure very detailed updates, necessary or not.

- Enhanced the accuracy for position and velocity offsets of particles.

- SURPRISE! You found the secret update! Fireworks have been added to all night races to celebrate the winner. Enjoy the show!

- Two new Connection Type selections are now available on the main Account->My Account page, under Preferences. These selections allow higher network bandwidth usage between the simulation and the race servers. Mostly, this allows the server to send more detailed data for each opponent car and/or more opponent cars to the simulation. If your computer, graphics card, and Internet connection are all fast enough, and you select one of these new options, you’ll likely also want to adjust the in-sim Options->Graphics “Max Cars” setting to take advantage of the extra allowed bandwidth usage.

Your current car setup is now being logged to telemetry, both to the live telemetry that external tools can access and it is appended to the end of the disk based .ibt telemetry file. For the most part this is a good thing, but if some reason you are worried that someone will use this to gain access to your setup you can turn off this behavior by setting app.ini [Misc] irsdkLogSetup=0.

Speaking of FFB, I tried the FR 2.0 and it actually has decent FFB. You feel a lot more bumps and feedback from the wheel in this car than any other I've tried in iRacing. You actually know through the wheel where the grip limit is, at least most of the time. It isn't quite as good as rF2 or Automobilista, but it's a step in the right direction for sure.

Will probably be giving this one a go in the official series.

If you think you need a $3000 wheel to experience decent FFB you're mistaken. If you think iRacing has good FFB across the board, you've only played iRacing and maybe GT6 or Sebastian Loeb Rally Evo.

Yeah I agree, first tested the car @ monza and immediately thought - feels exactly like AC :D

But the other cars as well, once you get used to the ffb language I actually like iracing for it.

Well guys the new official season starts back tonight. Did any of you guys run a full season in S1? Anybody going to run a full season in S2 whether for points or just credits? Last time I ran a full season was literally a couple of years ago. Ive always just done league racing and hosted races with friends. Before I got back into official races this season,S1, my last 10 races on my stats page spanned just over 2 years :lol:.

I did run the full season in the super late model series. I was able to win the Div. 2 championship and finish 4th overall. I ended up with 3 wins and 13 top 5's from 16 total races. Should have had another win or two but late race caution situations caused me to lose out and also on a couple good finishes to score higher points, but that's racing I guess. My goals starting the season were to win the Div. 2 champ and top 5 overall and get to a 4k irating in oval. I did everything except the irating part. Went from 3100 ish to little over 3700 but I didn't do quite as many races that I had planned and also lost 120 points from some guy going around and waiting to take out people on purpose so I protested him after the race.

Going to try and run again this season, but during these summer months and real race season I have less time to get on and honesty with the SLM being not as popular a series as some its mainly a few high irating guys that race it so kinda have to get on at the right times in order to score good points so might just run it for fun this season instead of trying for points. Would like to maybe get back into doing some road stuff with the new Mercedes GT3 or Formula Renault.

I ran the whole S1 in Skippy, this season will be for the new Formula Renault, and maybe the new MX5 as it looks really fun. I'd like to try GT3 too, but I still to to practice... Maybe next season :)

I have never hid the fact that I have always felt iRacing was overhyped (it's good, just not the best overall game) but I eat humble pie when it comes to the Renault 2.0, Mazda MX-5 and Merc GT3. Wow. Wow. Wow.

Renault 2.0 - just super fun, better than SM. I felt SM always a bit arcade like, super grippy and lacked character. Renault 2.0 is it. Has grip as well but there is just some moments you feel the car is about to lose it. Such a great car to drive. If I didn't have a day job and a kids, I'd be racing this.

Mazda MX-5 - Just like the real thing (yes driven the real thing). I'd easily participate in a league series based on the MX-5. Just pick up and drive, the balance, the four wheels sliding into a corner. If anything, this is a praise on Mazda because it is one of my favourite cars of all time, sorry iRacing ;)

Merc GT3 - I read some forum comments on this or the Audi (I didn't want to get both since iRacing is pretty expensive as I play all sim racing games and you can't trial cars). So I decided on the Merc given Audi seems to be a bit hard to control, especially hitting curbs. I am a curb hitter, I like to use every inch of the track so I chose the Merc. Wow...what a beast (with Barry White's voice). I could listen to this thing and go to sleep. Handles so nicely.

For me, best update ever, much better than Nurgburgring came out since literally every game has a laser scanned version. This brought 3 awesome cars with one of the best sound guys out there.

Great stuff, even from a "hater" (I think I am more realistic :D ) of iRacing

P.S for the love of god, please introduce some refund policy or trial policy for tracks and card. Even if its for 1 day.

I have never hid the fact that I have always felt iRacing was overhyped (it's good, just not the best overall game) but I eat humble pie when it comes to the Renault 2.0, Mazda MX-5 and Merc GT3. Wow. Wow. Wow.

Renault 2.0 - just super fun, better than SM. I felt SM always a bit arcade like, super grippy and lacked character. Renault 2.0 is it. Has grip as well but there is just some moments you feel the car is about to lose it. Such a great car to drive. If I didn't have a day job and a kids, I'd be racing this.

Mazda MX-5 - Just like the real thing (yes driven the real thing). I'd easily participate in a league series based on the MX-5. Just pick up and drive, the balance, the four wheels sliding into a corner. If anything, this is a praise on Mazda because it is one of my favourite cars of all time, sorry iRacing ;)

Merc GT3 - I read some forum comments on this or the Audi (I didn't want to get both since iRacing is pretty expensive as I play all sim racing games and you can't trial cars). So I decided on the Merc given Audi seems to be a bit hard to control, especially hitting curbs. I am a curb hitter, I like to use every inch of the track so I chose the Merc. Wow...what a beast (with Barry White's voice). I could listen to this thing and go to sleep. Handles so nicely.

For me, best update ever, much better than Nurgburgring came out since literally every game has a laser scanned version. This brought 3 awesome cars with one of the best sound guys out there.

Great stuff, even from a "hater" (I think I am more realistic :D ) of iRacing

P.S for the love of god, please introduce some refund policy or trial policy for tracks and card. Even if its for 1 day.

Not tried the Merc but the 2 others are sublime! Just did 2 races with the mazda, sooooo good :)

@Kamuifanboy Have you tried out the Formula Renault 2.0 in iRacing yet?
If so, how like the real car is it?

Sorry! Saw this when you posted it and completely forgot to respond after haha.

Although the car is a whole lot of fun to drive, I'm afraid it is far from realistic. Obviously this is not the exact version of the car that I drove, so my opinion may not be 100% valid. That being said, the version we have on iRacing is heavier, but has larger wings. So I would think the iRacing version is maybe even a bit slower than what I have driven in real life. With that in mind, the car is ENTIRELY way too fast. I did some laps with the baseline set around Suzuka. In real life we were running lap times around the high 2 minute mark. After 4 laps with the baseline, I was already down to 1:57s. The car in real life had a whole lot of understeer, you had to be extremely good at trailbraking to get the car to rotate correctly. This is most definitely not the case in iRacing. The car can rotate without needing any brake input at all. Also, the initial bite of the car when you turn the steering wheel is extremely sharp. Although it is a Formula car, it has a relatively soft suspension and you still have to be quite slow with the initial turn in, otherwise the car won't be able to react with your inputs. The top speed seems to be right where it should be, about 7kmh slower than the version that I drove.

Is anybody racing the GT3 cars this season? What is everyone's opinion on the BoP? To me the McLaren is about 2 tenths quicker than the BMW. The BMW is then 4 tenths quicker than the Audi. And the Audi is 2 tenths quicker than the Mercedes. So, some work is definitely needed. I don't think the updates iRacing is saying are going to happen will be quite enough. The Mercedes really needs some help. Somebody on the forums was showing a graph of all the cars together. Not only is the Mercedes the slowest in a straight line, it's the slowest to reach it's top speed, and to add insult to injury, it is also has the slowest minimum speed through the corners.

What is everyone racing this season? I'm primarily doing the GT1 and Blancpain Endurance Series. In the Aston and the Audi.

There's my livery if anyone happens to see me on track!

Always appreciate your feedback @Kamuifanboy so good luck in your GT1 racing this season!

I personally love the Merc (because of the handling and amazing sound) and not yet racing in GT3 this season due to what you said, it being materially slower than the other cars. IRacing really needs to balance it out before I start.

I'm having trouble finding a decent set for the Merc. I have to do 2.4 hrs at the combined ring in a week and a half. And it's tough, there will be a lot of wreck outs.

I'm doing my first ever full season at the moment (Skip Barber). Well, I say full season, but I only bought the tracks required to do 8 of the 12 events. Perhaps I'll purchase some more tracks as I need them. I'm ready for promotion up to C as it is so I assume that happens at the end of the season. I'll be happy then as that opens up some of the events I really want to participate in.

When I was promoted from Rookie to Class D, it happened instantly, and it wasn't from having an Sr rating of above 4 either..

They say some very interesting things in here in regards to timeframe, I won't spoil it, but I imagine they have AN ABSOLUTE TON OF WORK TO DO to make this work! I will say that I saw this coming just not so soon. I know Tire Compounds have a lot to do on dirt so it will be interesting to see if and how they implement it and whether it will carry over to F1 Tire compounds.

Last edited:
Everyone is going nuts about this being an April Fools prank, and that it's cruel to tease their customers over such a wanted feature. Personally I think perhaps they are developing it but decided to make this video look like an April Fools joke (the guy in the lab coat, the soon clock at the end of the video) to make people think it was a joke then they confirm it's real. For the most part it looks too polished to be a joke, I mean they have scans, models and interviews with industry professionals!

Everyone is going nuts about this being an April Fools prank, and that it's cruel to tease their customers over such a wanted feature. Personally I think perhaps they are developing it but decided to make this video look like an April Fools joke (the guy in the lab coat, the soon clock at the end of the video) to make people think it was a joke then they confirm it's real. For the most part it looks too polished to be a joke, I mean they have scans, models and interviews with industry professionals!

I had the same thought, if it's true it's the best ad ever!

I'm not an oval guy, but if/when they actually do bring in dirt racing I'll be all over that. Hopefully it would translate to us getting rally or rallycross stuff eventually too.

Back