Is an open-world Gran Turismo a possibility? Has it been discussed?

I know it is not open-world but Evolution Studio's upcoming DriveClub was originally envisioned to be part of the GT brand but apparently Kaz said no as he and PD are hugely protective of what they have built.

This would be awesome.

I would really like the ability to just be able to go for a drive on a scenic route. I like the graphics that are in the game and would enjoy being able to explore them more. I recently bought the Pontiac Trans-Am and just wanted to take it for a simple drive. The closest I could come up with was to go around the Nurburgring in reverse for something different.

Even simple things like access to more, off course areas of existing tracks, like the lookouts around Bathurst, or behind the scenes areas of Nurburgring etc.

Also, the ability to move around the photo locations more, even just in "walking" mode. eg, being able to walk around the entire Arts Center without walking into invisible "walls" and having to keep repositioning to other areas in the same location. And what about Ronda? Such a great location but you're limited to such a small part of it. Again, even just being able to "walk" around more areas of it would be fun.

How about something like a scenic drive between the different photo locations or even tracks?

Cheers,
Amateur1.

I remember there were mentions of a 'C-Spec' mode, being a driving mode with free-roam accessibility, but C-Spec's intent is to teach players how to drive on real-life roads.

Yep!

I know it is not open-world but Evolution Studio's upcoming DriveClub was originally envisioned to be part of the GT brand but apparently Kaz said no as he and PD are hugely protective of what they have built.

That's interesting, but I agree it doesn't quite fit the GT brand. I still imagine a GT free roam game to feature GT's realistic physics, besides being open world, and DriveClub doesn't seem to be either.

You guys sure remember how GT5's main menu looked (MAIN MENU, not GT Life).

Right.

All those cool presentations of cars in different places, all glorious as hell and stuff.
One of those presentations was set in a white city, with Hondas driving around it. I think it could be a chunk of a scrapped project along the lines of free roaming, or at least of some kind of a city challenge...

If PD give us free roaming of some sorts, consider me interested. If they also decide to implement working indicators in it, consider my money spent 👍

I loved the Test Drive Unlimited games, I then thought it would be a great idea if Forza's more open physics were applied to an open world game (then mysteriously Horizon was created just a year later). It would be so awesome to have GT open world, but such a huge task, surely.

Well, they could put to good use the GPS Track creating App that will come out to plot all the roads/highways/surface streets of any given city... Personally, I think somewhere like Portland, OR and San Francisco would be great, because they'd be a short drive to an actual race track.

This would be awesome.

I would really like the ability to just be able to go for a drive on a scenic route. I like the graphics that are in the game and would enjoy being able to explore them more. I recently bought the Pontiac Trans-Am and just wanted to take it for a simple drive. The closest I could come up with was to go around the Nurburgring in reverse for something different.

Even simple things like access to more, off course areas of existing tracks, like the lookouts around Bathurst, or behind the scenes areas of Nurburgring etc.

Also, the ability to move around the photo locations more, even just in "walking" mode. eg, being able to walk around the entire Arts Center without walking into invisible "walls" and having to keep repositioning to other areas in the same location. And what about Ronda? Such a great location but you're limited to such a small part of it. Again, even just being able to "walk" around more areas of it would be fun.

How about something like a scenic drive between the different photo locations or even tracks?

Cheers,
Amateur1.
Course maker should hopefully be the answer to this *HOPEFULLY* :scared:

This is a dream of mine! Being able to drive in a city environment with other (human) players, driving right would earn you points (using, indicators, stopping at traffic lights, not crashing, etc..) also there would have to be a "police" like option so you could "arrest" players that are constantly crashing and driving bad, at the end of the session you would be awarded your points in credits or prizes, those who played bad should be degraded to drive slower cars or -x points rep

This is a dream of mine! Being able to drive in a city environment with other (human) players, driving right would earn you points (using, indicators, stopping at traffic lights, not crashing, etc..) also there would have to be a "police" like option so you could "arrest" players that are constantly crashing and driving bad, at the end of the session you would be awarded your points in credits or prizes, those who played bad should be degraded to drive slower cars or -x points rep
There are a few PC driving sims that are somewhat like that but PD would never do that.

I think it's a bad idea. It means that most races would be held on street circuits, which I'm not a fan of. Simulators should always have structure, like Grand Turismo and the mainstream Forza games are. Arcade racers should feature free roam, as it worked well in Horizon and NFS Most Wanted. The problem is I got bored of those games after a few months, yet I play Gran Turismo games for years without tire.

One and a half years ago, on a Kaz interview article, I asked @Jordan if he could ask Kaz about free roam. I think he never did but I don't blame him as future interviews were about GT6. I hope this topic gets chosen now, at least it's on first page when you sort threads by likes. :)

open world games are impossible to completely debug which ruin a tight and focused experience.

I would love an open-world GT. And in regards to all the naysayers, saying that street racing doesn't suit GT at all... I completely agree.

I personally would like to see an open-world GT game that took the "Real Driving Simulator" moniker to a whole new level: No cheesy NFS-style street races or chases, you just enjoy the ability to drive to your heart's content in a beautiful virtual world where you aren't limited to enjoying your vehicles within the confines of the track. And you earn money simply by racking up miles on your odometer.

But if that's a little too bland and un-gamey for your tastes, fine... maybe there could be time trial challenges to see how fast you can get from point A to point B, perhaps you're racing a train or something else wacky a la Top Gear. And maybe there will be racing circuits located within the game world that you can drive to and enjoy some circuit-based racing... maybe they'll build a fictional GT world and put GT's fantasy tracks on a map. :)

open world games are impossible to completely debug which ruin a tight and focused experience.

That's one of the silliest things I've ever heard.

An open-world game where there are several different layers of gameplay to the world, like GTA or The Elder Scrolls, sure... squashing all the bugs would be a fool's errand. But in an open-world game where all you do is drive/race, there isn't much to it (in addition to what you'd have to deal with in a closed-circuit racing game) aside from just working out how to make a game engine that allows you to stream a large world and balancing the processing requirements of that with all the other features of the game. Certainly no cakewalk, but certainly within the realm of debug-ability.

Just look at the likes of Forza Horizon, it's no buggier than any GT or mainline Forza entries.

WHY THE HELL FOR??? TRAFFIC SIMULATION???
2d1dab89e036a874209c326d8127ba4e9af0458a4698b2270d40f998f0d04d2c.jpg

Yes, I would love an open-world game with GT physics, GT is not a full sim, but still delivers in this department. I, for one, loved playing Test Drive Unlimited despite its "arcadeish" physics. Driving around, evading traffic, slowing down on narrow streets and pushing the throttle on the highway. One of the greatest aspects of TDU for me was the ability of purchasing your own house, which wouldn't make into an open-world GT, but driving to my heart's content is enough.

WHY THE HELL FOR??? TRAFFIC SIMULATION???
Forget the traffic, what the hell for? never been on a great road trip? It would be fantastic to take my GT garage car and just hit the open road and cruise through some of my favorite locals, hell I'd do the vancouver to LA trip a few times a year if I had the time, the right car and infinite gas money. and there are many other places in the world I can't get to explore and that is the point of video games afterall.
But I don't think it should be part of GT7 or anything like that, make it an offshoot like horizons did for the forza franchise, keep the physics and the GT assets and half the game is done. Sign a deal with TomTom and get the roads from all over in there, make it a beta, and slowly add world graphics. put some generic city assets into the cities and generic country side graphics to start and let the community build the world for you PD. GT\PD fans are amazing and amazingly talented. Let them loose I bet we would have something that would evolve into something crazy. guys from small town USA would certainly be thrilled to feature their small town and build it up with tools like google sketch. the graphic fidelity can evolve over time and the GTX assets can just be dropped into the world. ahhh dreams... I have them haha, never gonna happen.

I would love an open-world GT. And in regards to all the naysayers, saying that street racing doesn't suit GT at all... I completely agree.

I personally would like to see an open-world GT game that took the "Real Driving Simulator" moniker to a whole new level: No cheesy NFS-style street races or chases, you just enjoy the ability to drive to your heart's content in a beautiful virtual world where you aren't limited to enjoying your vehicles within the confines of the track. And you earn money simply by racking up miles on your odometer.

But if that's a little too bland and un-gamey for your tastes, fine... maybe there could be time trial challenges to see how fast you can get from point A to point B, perhaps you're racing a train or something else wacky a la Top Gear. And maybe there will be racing circuits located within the game world that you can drive to and enjoy some circuit-based racing... maybe they'll build a fictional GT world and put GT's fantasy tracks on a map. :)

That's one of the silliest things I've ever heard.

An open-world game where there are several different layers of gameplay to the world, like GTA or The Elder Scrolls, sure... squashing all the bugs would be a fool's errand. But in an open-world game where all you do is drive/race, there isn't much to it (in addition to what you'd have to deal with in a closed-circuit racing game) aside from just working out how to make a game engine that allows you to stream a large world and balancing the processing requirements of that with all the other features of the game. Certainly no cakewalk, but certainly within the realm of debug-ability.

Just look at the likes of Forza Horizon, it's no buggier than any GT or mainline Forza entries.
I should have read yours before my very similar rant reply to "why the hell traffic" post.

I should have read yours before my very similar rant reply to "why the hell traffic" post.

Not at all, I'm glad I'm not the only one interested in such a game.

Street racing doesn't do anything for me, but being able to hit the virtual streets and just drive is something that I definitely find appealing. The only problem is that all the open-world racing games are too arcadey in both physics and presentation to be able to just enjoy driving. Forza Horizon was probably the closest thing to date, because its physics were certainly a cut above the likes of NFS, and its environment was actually quite scenic and enjoyable to take in.

But at the end of the day, the only people I think are currently capable of delivering a top-notch open-world driving game would be Polyphony Digital. The sense of car ownership that the GT series gives you (which would presumably be expanded upon in a game that's all about just enjoying your garage full of cars), the physics, the realism and attention to detail in the environments... they could knock it out of the park.

You guys sure remember how GT5's main menu looked (MAIN MENU, not GT Life).

Right.

All those cool presentations of cars in different places, all glorious as hell and stuff.
One of those presentations was set in a white city, with Hondas driving around it. I think it could be a chunk of a scrapped project along the lines of free roaming, or at least of some kind of a city challenge...

If PD give us free roaming of some sorts, consider me interested. If they also decide to implement working indicators in it, consider my money spent 👍
Yeah I remember that scene had dreams of rolling an NSX 'round those cornrs and passing that civic

Is an open-world Gran Turismo a possibility? Has it been discussed at any point? And if so, where would it be located?
Make a course creator that has multiple link points (which would give the designers a chance to show off their work) use existing code and expand to include multi routes A.I. not needed but more than 16 cars running stable would be nice.

Back