Is Driver Assist over powered now?

• Thread starter FazerT
  • 157 comments
and these guys just throw themselves around the track, and somehow keep pulling times on par with me.

Yep, that's what had been bugging me, and after trying some of the assists out it's easy to see why. They definitely keep you on the track when normally you would have slid or spun out!

The Gr4 4 lap races at Interlagos were pretty much a wreck fest today. Did a 1:37.505 without assists. Good for 1-6 starting position but everyone just keeps divebombing in T1, T4, T8, T11 and T14, it is crazy and these are almost all A-S drivers. There was 1 race almost everyone had a red S. Up till today i was on a 8 race clean streak. I think i will skip the short races and keep to the longer ones and maybe avoid gr4 as well till they fix the BoP.

The Megane really doesnt need assists it is already to easy to drive.

What is your impression of driving with a wheel so far? Overall easier or harder? Faster or slower? Are you using the same assists?

Overall, I love using the wheel. I think it's easier. It does take some adjusting. You can be a lot more consistent tho. It's much easier to get good traction on exit. I feel like I can brake later and trailbraking is 10 x easier. I am faster and keep getting faster. I felt like I had hit a proverbial wall with the DS4. I just couldn't get my lap times down anymore. As far as assists, TC I run 0 on Gr.4 and usually 2 on Gr.3. I am using CSA now (Thanks @Stotty ), helps on the ripple strips. ASM off as was with DS4. ABS default.

Edit: To give you an idea of times...

Before, it was all I could do to get within 2 secs of the top 10.

Now, I can usually get less than 2 secs easily. Some tracks I get within 1 sec. Today at Interlagos I was within a sec from 10th (at the time) on the leaderboard

Last edited:
The Gr4 4 lap races at Interlagos were pretty much a wreck fest today... but everyone just keeps divebombing in ..., it is crazy and these are almost all A-S drivers.

The Megane really doesnt need assists it is already to easy to drive.

You're right, the Megane is easy to drive. Up until today I only had ABS[default] enabled and had good success with it.
But as you say, at any level (B/S for me), people are reckless with Assists and while they don't make you faster, they allow you to run consistently at close to your best time while being somewhat protected against idiots tapping you into a spin while your car is under cornering forces.

I also agree that the longer races are far better, the tyre wear system also makes things interesting and give opportunities later in the race. I'm not a huge fan of the re-fueling system though and the distracting red writing across you screen blinking at you that you have to refuel as you only have 1.5 laps of fuel remaining...Even on the last lap!

Any tuning you do will not carry through to Sport mode races as it's all locked under the BoP rules

You can't Tune for ASM because any tuning is a passive thing and ASM is actively changing based on what the car is doing at that moment. Any tuning will affect car handling but it's when you push beyond your or the cars limit that some active system needs to respond to the issue at that moment.

Mmm yh forgot that BoP bit. Scratch that idea. So what about in my league race.

I guess the Active in ASM is telling, very well put, thanks. I had just thought remembered some description of it from GT 1 or 2 days (when you could read about the parts you were upgrading, ahhh those were the days), about it being an in car gyroscope that stopped the ability of the car to turn in, stopping a car from spinning, but at the expense of turn in ability. I have since learnt about toe angle that has a similar function - but I guess the "active" is the key difference.

I find the way they save spins to be a bit ridiculous, you see a car at 90 degrees and then not only keep it together but don't lose that much time/track position. Or cars just keeping the throttle buried when they're on the grass when with the aids turned off you spin if you even consider touching the throttle with half a wheel on the grass.

I find the way they save spins to be a bit ridiculous, you see a car at 90 degrees and then not only keep it together but don't lose that much time/track position. Or cars just keeping the throttle buried when they're on the grass when with the aids turned off you spin if you even consider touching the throttle with half a wheel on the grass.

Agreed. The game seems to have two very different physics settings, one for qualifying and one for racing.
When qualifying if you make any slight adjustment to line/brake or throttle and you see the tenths mounting up on your lap time (as it should be) but in race people can weave around in front of you taking the wrong line and adjusting mid-corner etc, and yet they lose no momentum at all.
I regularly see people in my mirror pushing hard and taking some grass or having a sideways moment and yet they're still right there on your bumper!

I guess it makes for closer racing - but it's hardly a "sim"

No
Agreed. The game seems to have two very different physics settings, one for qualifying and one for racing.
When qualifying if you make any slight adjustment to line/brake or throttle and you see the tenths mounting up on your lap time (as it should be) but in race people can weave around in front of you taking the wrong line and adjusting mid-corner etc, and yet they lose no momentum at all.
I regularly see people in my mirror pushing hard and taking some grass or having a sideways moment and yet they're still right there on your bumper!

Not sure I totally agree, last race I was half a second quicker in qualifying and finished a 5 lap race over 3 seconds ahead so seems consistent. I think most people will be slower in a race because they can't always take the best line, have to adjust, defend etc based on other cars etc.

As in real life it's definitely much easier and quicker in clear air, even in qualifying or in the race of you get a gap.

Sorry, but that's just not true.

I ran 16 races at Nurb GP grp3 event Sunday... and got so used to the car/track that I was often running races with 9 laps only a couple of tenths apart (opening lap slower)... when following other drivers (same car, similar skill level) even a small error on a corner exit would see me lose a couple of car lengths on the next straight... or if they made an error, I would have a passing opportunity.

Having said that, there is a fraction more grip in qualifying than in a race.

No

... in a race because they can't always take the best line, have to adjust, defend etc based on other cars etc.

As in real life it's definitely much easier and quicker in clear air.

That's kind of the point I was trying to make. When I'm ahead with open road in front or if I'm catching someone and I have no-one behind to threaten my position and I can take my line and keep it smooth, I can often see drivers taking poor lines or making corrections and yet our relative gaps stay the same.
There are consistencies with regards speed. So if you go into a bend or exit a bend faster than someone else, you will certainly see the result of that, but it's like the game doesn't punish a wobble as much in the race as it does in the qualifying.

Maybe you're right. Maybe I drive more cautious when racing compared to qualifying and it's my overall pace that isn't as high in the race so others mistakes balance out my pace errors and we end up going the same speed.

Sorry, but that's just not true.

I ran 16 races at Nurb GP grp3 event Sunday... and got so used to the car/track that I was often running races with 9 laps only a couple of tenths apart (opening lap slower)... when following other drivers (same car, similar skill level) even a small error on a corner exit would see me lose a couple of car lengths on the next straight... or if they made an error, I would have a passing opportunity.

Having said that, there is a fraction more grip in qualifying than in a race.
Yeah I ran a whole race with every lap within a few tenths, again ignoring the first lap.

That's kind of the point I was trying to make. When I'm ahead with open road in front or if I'm catching someone and I have no-one behind to threaten my position and I can take my line and keep it smooth, I can often see drivers taking poor lines or making corrections and yet our relative gaps stay the same.
There are consistencies with regards speed. So if you go into a bend or exit a bend faster than someone else, you will certainly see the result of that, but it's like the game doesn't punish a wobble as much in the race as it does in the qualifying.

Maybe you're right. Maybe I drive more cautious when racing compared to qualifying and it's my overall pace that isn't as high in the race so others mistakes balance out my pace errors and we end up going the same speed.
No way of knowing really we just need to keep racing :-)

Maybe the wobble we see isn't the same as the actual person racing, it could explain it. Maybe internet connection related?!

That would do it but I actually ran a quicker time in race warm up than qualifying so are we sure there is any difference in weight?

I read it somewhere a while back, but I read a lot of random stuff. I have no credible source for this info

That would do it but I actually ran a quicker time in race warm up than qualifying so are we sure there is any difference in weight?

Then you haven't tried hard enough in qualifying.

Even for the aliens, race pace is c.0.5-1s slower than qualifying pace over 1'30-2'00 lap.

Anyhow, how do you run a faster lap in warm up?... a warm up lap starts after the start line and IME, the amount of time does not allow for 2 full laps (barely 1 lap on most tracks).

What about... taking assist options out as you rank up?

When you get to A and S, no more assists.

I like the idea but for me it is irrelevant as I am stuck on D/S. My consistency is very poor. I can not get through a race without at least one catastrophic mistake.
I only have ABS on but got frustrated and started using TCS on 1 or 2 as well. But made no difference. I still hit the walls or miss my breaking point.

At least I am crashing considerately and with good etiquette as I have not lost my S rating.

Has something changed with the Driver Assist since 1.6? I don't use any assist other than ABS on default and had been [mostly] enjoying progressing through the grades and was just into DR B and have been SR S for a while. Over the past few days I noticed the lap times in the races were getting closer between pole and last place, often within a second! The races have become very bunched and it's really difficult to make progress of shake someone tailgating.

I watched a few replays looking for what my competition was doing better that made them so hard to pass of shake and saw that the vast majority were using one or several Driver Assists.

The people running stability management specifically seem to be able to just throw the car into anything technical and it just gets sorted, which makes first corners a nightmare and negotiating technical sections almost impossible on some tracks as they rarely use the correct line or braking zone as it's non-critical for them.
This means they often tap you on the rear going in, whereby you get 50/50 chance of being slammed into a barrier and lose 5 places or the slight correction gets you passed anyway by the driver assist system making the other car like a tank when getting into contact, they don't hardly change position.

I don't remember it being so obvious in the past, if anything it used to be pretty easy to pass someone using TCS and any other assists because they were inexperienced and the assists used to have a speed penalty. This seems to be no longer the case and there are many good drivers out there exploiting the assists to make the chance of any error impeding your laps pretty low.

The other down side of this is that many of the less than sportsman like drivers are also up in the pack and where in the past they would have spun out and rage quit early on, seem to be able to stay competitive and stable while they bump and slam their way through the race.

Seems to me like you should get a limited time use of Driver Assists before the game locks you out of them. Or there should be separate Sport Mode races for cars with no DA. A bit like a "Pro" mode or something. Maybe TCS could be allowed as I think this has a penalty to the responsiveness of the car and can be beaten by a good driver without, but the system correcting serious handling errors should not be a part of any competitive racing game.

What do you lot think, if you haven't fallen asleep trying to get through the book I just wrote ;)

Wait until you see this “Emergency Update” they are doing tonight lmao it says something about increasing grip when exiting corners... and it specifically mentions Traction Control. I’m not sure what’s going on in their heads right now.

What about... taking assist options out as you rank up?

When you get to A and S, no more assists.

Why?
GT3 cars in rl use both ABS and TC.GTE use ABS.
Many people use either both or (a lot of "fast"/aliens) ABS.Why should those not be able to use those?To prove that they can do it?I mean whats the point.
I would not mind that but I cannot understand this logic.
DR B?Use whatever assist to move up.
DR A?No assists allowed.
What will we gain from that?

I’m no Alien; not even close.
I find that what helped me a lot is kind of not caring about being fast in the races.
I try my best in the Qualify, but I drive a lot slower in races, on purpose. 1 to 2 seconds slower. If I see im in a good distance to someone behind, sometimes I even give up trying to chase the guy in front of me. Just focus on maintaining distances.

Agreed, I'm not bothered about people using TCS or ABS (I just have ABS default)
It's the CS & ASM that turn your car into a Eurofighter ;)

TCS is a greater aid than CS and ASM combined in my opinion. Not sure why CS would be bothersome to you as it hardly does anything at all.

I like the idea but for me it is irrelevant as I am stuck on D/S. My consistency is very poor. I can not get through a race without at least one catastrophic mistake.
I only have ABS on but got frustrated and started using TCS on 1 or 2 as well. But made no difference. I still hit the walls or miss my breaking point.

At least I am crashing considerately and with good etiquette as I have not lost my S rating.

My last post was about this.

Why?
GT3 cars in rl use both ABS and TC.GTE use ABS.
Many people use either both or (a lot of "fast"/aliens) ABS.Why should those not be able to use those?To prove that they can do it?I mean whats the point.
I would not mind that but I cannot understand this logic.
DR B?Use whatever assist to move up.
DR A?No assists allowed.
What will we gain from that?

I think TCS and ABS should stay. I’m more concerned about countersteering assist and stability assist.

Try taking TCS off (I'm not convinced TC 1 is any good anyway) and put stability control on. this should help reduce the catastrophic momets significantly :)

Back