Is GT Sport a wrong choice? FM vs GT war issue

Everyone has their own opinions. We are talking small percentage differences afterall.

That said it always feels a backhanded compliment to state GT Sport is only superior online. Given how dreadful Forza 7’s public racing is.

I stand by my points above regarding GT Sport’s greater authenticity and accuracy in key areas. I don’t deny the title had a shaky launch, but one year on, it’s maturing like a fine wine. PD are doubling down on motorsport authenticity from marbles on the track, to a flagging system, to helmet/suit customisation. Not to mention car & track updates. Both big & small changes all aimed at nailing down GT Sport’s motorsport authenticity.

Meanwhile they do what they can (before a sequel) to placate those who play single-player. As stated above car customisation is a big miss but that is something we’ll have to wait for in the sequel as I doubt it can be implemented in the current online class structure.

I agree Assetto Corsa is the benchmark for physics but GT Sport takes a step closer with each update. If AC is 100% ‘realistic’, GT Sport is 90% there. If that final 10% needs to be sacrificed to make GT Sport accessible (and competitive) for DS4 users so be it.

Forza 7 is a fine title. But once again, looking at it a year on, much of the shine from the highly praised launch has rubbed off. It’s in the no man’s land GT5/6 found itself in attempting to please all gamers. With the Horizon series now taking the mantle of the flagship Forza. Hopefully T10 can double down on realism and authenticity for Forza 8.
Again, really, you can substitute one for the other as they've been following mostly similar paths with content and post-release updates. They've both been aging rather fine and both has had substantial updates compared to how it's originally launched. Both are aiming to better the respective area's that they left behind initially (GTS offline, and Forza Online) and both have had a wealth of extra content and updates added, and are still adding, even a year down the line.

I really don't think these games, Forza and GTS, will ever reach the levels of AC or even PC for that matter, and theres a reason for that. It's fine that you think they're close, but really, these are still easy to pick up games for most anyone with a very forgiving physics model. That is unlikely to change, in my opinion.

GTS is certainly still fun and is great as far as graphics go. To me, it still lacks majorly in the content factor. The lack of tracks has always bothered me. Yes, it has gotten better. But, only 3 sport mode races a week... even per day, is just not enough. I tried doing other things within the game. But, it just wasn't doing it for me anymore.

I ended up buying a PC and now I am starting the new adventure of iRacing. So far, I am enjoying it a lot more.

If a title isn’t fun it isn’t fun. GT Sport has plenty of challenge in it for me.
I think if you enjoy tinkering with hundreds of settings and discussing physics models than something on pc or project cars is the way to go.
If you like racing GT Sport is pretty dang good imo.

Thank you all for replies, but now I have another thing. I think arcade racers are more fun, I want Forza Horizon 4 but as you know, I dont have Xbox and my laptop's performance offers low quality old gen graphics at 1280x720 for comfortable gameplay. I was watching Forza Horizon 4 videos on YouTube and it looks like a great racer, so many cars, open world, sense of speed, fun with driving, I saw a video someone tuned Volkswagen Golf to reach 400 km/h, that's insane! I like DriveClub, I really do, but I see Horizon 4 is better and offers more. It makes me want to tune a Golf to 400 KPH, explore open world and have pure fun. DriveClub sometimes is frustrating, especially DLC content and late vanilia Tour. There's nothing wrong with it beacuse the game is motivating enough but I would like less stressing experience as well

At this point in time, both games are most likely on sale. Get both. I, myself, don't care much for online, so for single player campaign, Forza has GT beat, even though PD has been adding in SP events with every update (better than nothing). If you like quality menus, car dealerships, history, etc., than GT is no match there. I actually do like the smoothness of the home screen in GTS but I understand Forza's quick approach, although still kinda janky.

I do like that both studios are committed to updating the game. I can't speak much on Kaz or PD since they aren't really out there giving updates in comparison to Turn 10's level. Forza's team has a stream each month explaining what updates they are working on. Chris Esaki really seems passionate to fix alot of issues in the game. Already they have completed: Track limits, Drifting overhaul, collision overhaul, with more to come.

For me, I only check out GTS when a new update hits. GTS has issues with online saves and unfortunately for me (and others during my research), my garage was erased, so my desire to really get into the game isn't there anymore outside the updates.

I still think they are both worth getting, especially on sale. Who knows when the next GT will release, maybe a full fledged GT7 for the PS5? So GTS should fill that GT spot until then, if you are hankering for it.

Anybody see the recent update to Forza where collisions have much less influence on the cars now? SuperGT did a recent video on it and I like that they're addressing it.

GTS all the way though if you have a PC you can now play Forza as well.

I have not played Pcars but it has lots of tracks and good SP racing I guess. If I were to get 2 racing games then GTS and Pcars

for me the choice was obvious. Always loved the refined atmosphere of GT compared to the more hip and young one of Forza. I dont care much about how they compare on the other aspects, GT's artistic choices for musics and visuals is enough for me.

As a fan, I like Gran Turismo a lot. There's no doubt about it but it's just annoying that there's still some aspects that needs improvement and a lot of attention these days like the crappy engine sounds and non-sense implementation of turbo lag in-game. What would PD do in the future? We're already playing in the 8th generation of consoles and sadly, despite some bickering from fans, they (PD ofc) still seem to be fine with these terrible aspects that I mentioned in their games.

I know there's not a single perfect video game in earth at all but is it bad to say that they could have improved something in their new games that they should have improved a long time ago? I guess not.

Looking at this, I realized that apart from the graphics, pistop animations, and menu atmosphere which GT always wins and damage which Forza always wins, the traits between them are switched as time goes.

The most prime example being car sounds. Forza series is now even blasted by its own community for being overall worse in car sounds as series goes along with FM7 being a tipping point. Not only that but it got caught having a copy pasted sound from one car to another. They now try to fix the sounds by patches in FH4 but right now only a small handful of cars got it. So lets see how it rolls out. Then again, so does GTSport.

Many are quite surprised hearing GTSport car sounds being much better than Forza's and even sone other racing games. The prime example being the Lamborghini Aventador, which its sound in my opinion is the best representation of the real thing. Not all are accurate for example Zonda R, but you can count them all with a hand.

Another thing if I remember correctly is the online mode. FM4 used to be much preferred by the online racing community due to the better netcode and having livery to show off. But it got stagnant as time goes on even to this day. GT on the other hand got a major overhaul on the online side of things and now GT got an online mode that Forza player dream of including penalties, Safety Rating to group people based on their racing attitude, group races (not just based on the horsepower), etc. Its not perfect but much better compared to the carnage that is Forza Ranked Online Mode.

On the other hand, Forza wins in car count by landslide. Track count is now also takes the lead altough GTSport are slowly and hopefully reclaim such place if the update pace still goes like this.

Oh dont forget dynamic time and weather. Why GTSport removes it kinda reasonable but a big loss compared to FM7 which got one.

Remember that all of these used to be the opposite, GT5 VS FM4, GT6 VS FM5, you get the idea.

Last edited:
Why is GTS removing weather and time of day 'reasonable' when Forza and PC2 have it?

Is everything PD do 'reasonable', or simply 'inevitable'?!

Why is GTS removing weather and time of day 'reasonable' when Forza and PC2 have it?

Lol, why would it be inevitable in the first place? They had a choice since the start and they simply chose to scrimp on it.

It is reasonable mostly because weather can cause a lot of performance issues on PS4. With the focus on online E-Sport they are doing, they rather have a stable performance. Have you seen the framerate of PC2 with weather on PS4? That thing isn't optimal for competitive online racing because it can cause input lag, screen tearing, and unresponsivenes. Having a flashy visual effects is cool but IMO that's not really worth it if it is going to ruin everyone chance to be competitiv online.

It is reasonable mostly because weather can cause a lot of performance issues on PS4. With the focus on online E-Sport they are doing, they rather have a stable performance. Have you seen the framerate of PC2 with weather on PS4? That thing isn't optimal for competitive online racing because it can cause input lag, screen tearing, and unresponsivenes. Having a flashy visual effects is cool but IMO that's not really worth it if it is going to ruin everyone chance to be competitiv online.
But they could have at least try and save the feature for those players who'll play this game in solo mode. Not everyone's going online at the same time.

But they could have at least try and save the feature for those players who'll play this game in solo mode. Not everyone's going online at the same time.
Im sure PD will find a way.

Forza is the perfect example. They finally added the dynamic weather and time very later on Forza 7 after they optimize the game further. Before both are static. And even before that such option wasn't available at all.

Have you seen the framerate of PC2 with weather on PS4? That thing isn't optimal for competitive online racing because it can cause input lag, screen tearing, and unresponsivenes.
Yes, first hand, its nothing like you're suggesting. Its also doesn't prohibit running on-line events without rain, so even if it did have the level of effect you claim its optional.

Having a flashy visual effects is cool but IMO that's not really worth it if it is going to ruin everyone chance to be competitiv online.
Its not simply a flashy visual effect at all, quite a long way from it.

GTS chose to target visuals over the physics and dynamic weather/time, PC2 took another direction, not sure why that then means one should be dismissed for what is an optional feature!

To be fair they made this game as an online focus racing game. They probably didn't think of including weather when they started developing the game. Personally, I don't see the them patching the game with weather effects at this point

Yes, first hand, its nothing like you're suggesting. Its also doesn't prohibit running on-line events without rain, so even if it did have the level of effect you claim its optional.

Its not simply a flashy visual effect at all, quite a long way from it.

GTS chose to target visuals over the physics and dynamic weather/time, PC2 took another direction, not sure why that then means one should be dismissed for what is an optional feature!

That's the whole point they wanted this game to be accessible as possible that's why they didn't include it in the first place. There's no denying that the weather physics in PC2 is great but that also comes with a price, the performance and can be buggy at times.

To be fair they made this game as an online focus racing game. They probably didn't think of including weather when they started developing the game. Personally, I don't see the them patching the game with weather effects at this point

That's the whole point they wanted this game to be accessible as possible that's why they didn't include it in the first place.

Err, GTS does have weather effects, well it has a wet track in an absurdly limited number of events. So they did think of it, just didn't use it much past 60 seconds worth of one car on a short stage.

There's no denying that the weather physics in PC2 is great but that also comes with a price, the performance and can be buggy at times.
Which I have already addressed as an overblown and quite inaccurate claim (and forgets to mention that GTS itself suffers from frame-rate issues at times), not to mention it still ignores the point that its optional.

Its also utterly inaccurate to claim that it makes it unusable/unfair/unbalanced for league or online racing.

Last edited:
There ARE performance issues with GTS. I've noticed frame rate problems around the last corner at Blue Moon Bay in GT League and in create race mode at the 'ring. If you start at the back with a tight rolling start, the first few corners are nowhere near 60 fps.

You have limited resources on console and it is up to the developer to spend those resources in the areas they consider important. In PD's case that is very clearly graphics.

Err, GTS does have weather effects, well it has a wet track in an absurdly limited number of events. So they did think of it, just didn't use it much past 60 seconds worth of one car on a short stage.
Yeah, but only in that specific events. They probably were not able to optimize it throughout the tracks and locations in the game.
There ARE performance issues with GTS. I've noticed frame rate problems around the last corner at Blue Moon Bay in GT League and in create race mode at the 'ring. If you start at the back with a tight rolling start, the first few corners are nowhere near 60 fps.

You have limited resources on console and it is up to the developer to spend those resources in the areas they consider important. In PD's case that is very clearly graphics.

There are indeed perfomance issues with the game but nothing I would consider major compare to GT5/6 where the framerate drops from 60 to 30 in an instant. Imagine if they indeed have weather effects, the performance is probably going to be much worse than currently is. The major problem with PS3 GT era is the poor image quality and performance and they managed to improved that in GTsport for the most part. PD are obviously playing safe and dont want to make the same mistake like they did in GT5/6

Last edited:
Yeah, but only in that specific events. They probably were not able to optimize it throughout the tracks and locations in the game.
Which means they did 'think about it' and did 'include it', which is directly counter to the claim you made.

There are indeed perfomance issues with the game but nothing I would consider major compare to GT5/6 where the framerate drops from 60 to 30 in an instant. Imagine if they indeed have weather effects, the performance is probably going to be much worse that currently is
I know, I've already said that GTS chose to target visuals over the physics and dynamic weather/time. However PC2 doesn't have anything like those kind of issues and still manages to be a popular on-line league racing title.

Its quite simple GTS is a better looking title than PC2, no question about it. However that visual fidelity comes at a cost, and the cost is found in the physics and dynamic weather/time. That doesn't make it a better or worse choice than titles that have taken a different approach, nor does it mean its been optimized for on-line (if that were the case then they would have targeted frame-rate being locked at 60fps above all other factors).

I see your point. However, I wish GT7 would be more awesome when it comes to those features that are enjoyed by many which is not present in GTS.

Which means they did 'think about it' and did 'include it', which is directly counter to the claim you made.

I know, I've already said that GTS chose to target visuals over the physics and dynamic weather/time. However PC2 doesn't have anything like those kind of issues and still manages to be a popular on-line league racing title.

Its quite simple GTS is a better looking title than PC2, no question about it. However that visual fidelity comes at a cost, and the cost is found in the physics and dynamic weather/time. That doesn't make it a better or worse choice than titles that have taken a different approach, nor does it mean its been optimized for on-line (if that were the case then they would have targeted frame-rate being locked at 60fps above all other factors).
What i'm implying was they didn't think about including weather effects throughout the locations in the game. Indeed you can have weather effects in online racing. But PD made a design choices not to include it because it will worsen the performance even more. I never said you can't have rain in an online race. I remember an old interview where Kaz mentioned the reasoning behind the lack of weather
“We opted to not have the transitions in the race this time in order to raise the framerate and the quality of the image *during* the race. So the user will be able to set that before they enter the race. So you’ll still be able to have night races, morning, races at dawn, dusk, and so on.”

Last edited:
PC2 has a lot more going on than just the rain though tbf, if Turn 10 can do rain without no problems, PD have no excuse.
I think maybe their experience with GT6 scared them. They went overboard and tried to do too much with that game!

PC2 has poor rain physics if you ask me, plus worse graphics quality aswell, similar for those games who get crazy with this and fill the tracks with puddles and everything resembles a lake.
So before anyone saying "PC2 has rain so why GTS dont have it" first ask "is PC2 rain actually well made?"

PC2 has poor rain physics if you ask me, plus worse graphics quality aswell, similar for those games who get crazy with this and fill the tracks with puddles and everything resembles a lake.
It really doesn't.

So before anyone saying "PC2 has rain so why GTS dont have it" first ask "is PC2 rain actually well made?"
Yes it is.

Back